College Program Parents Thread...

The disney college program has been a dream of my daughter since she was about 9 and she is soooo close to that dream of coming a reality!! I have gotten so much helpful info here!! alot of my questions have been answered !!! She just started her second semester of college. She goes to a community college here in Maryland and is in the film studies program. She wants to either be a cinemitographer or a film editer. So, needless to say she would love to be a CP at MGM (oops...Hollywood studios, still can't get use to that!!) She wants to be a Photopass Photographer (She loves photography!!) but she would love to do attractions and be on the Movie ride! :woohoo:

Ok, so she did the application,e-presentation and than the online interview/gallop test which came back stating she was a "strong candidate" which we were excited about!! The next day she called to schedule her interview which was last Wednesday!! She said she thinks she do ok! They asked her if she would be interested in QSFB and she said she would "do anything"!! the person also asked alot of question about Merchandise which I guess it is because she worked at a christian bookstore and has experience in retail! They also asked her what was her favorite park and she said Hollywood studios! So, we think if she is accepted she will get either QSFB or merch!:confused3 she would rather do Photopass or attractions but she will do anything!! And she hopes to be at Hollywood studios no matter what she does!!! Tomorrow will be one week since the interview and based on what we have read online and heard on Youtube that most people heard in about 10days!! But we aren't going to hold our breath!

Ok, so who has applied for Fall advantage 2010? My daughter joined the facebook group and has "met" some girls and they are talking about being roomies already!!

Sorry this was so long!! I just wanted to introduce myself and give alittle background info!!

Have a great day everyone!! or should I say "HAVE A MAGICAL DAY"

Laurie

Heyy Im 18 years old and am going into the fall CP. I have a few questions as well. Im not a parent but I was hoping someone could help me out anyway??

Okay here it goes..
1. If i cant bring my car is it bad or harder to just take the buses thes provide? how does that work?

2. What kind of fees are the expecting me to pay, houseing, any others, etc

3. Are CPs full time or part time or does it differ?

4. For housing is it usually cheaper to room with more people or is it the same either way?

I have so many questions on how this all works im so confused.

The disney college program has been a dream of my daughter since she was about 9 and she is soooo close to that dream of coming a reality!! I have gotten so much helpful info here!! alot of my questions have been answered !!! She just started her second semester of college. She goes to a community college here in Maryland and is in the film studies program. She wants to either be a cinemitographer or a film editer. So, needless to say she would love to be a CP at MGM (oops...Hollywood studios, still can't get use to that!!) She wants to be a Photopass Photographer (She loves photography!!) but she would love to do attractions and be on the Movie ride! :woohoo:

Ok, so she did the application,e-presentation and than the online interview/gallop test which came back stating she was a "strong candidate" which we were excited about!! The next day she called to schedule her interview which was last Wednesday!! She said she thinks she do ok! They asked her if she would be interested in QSFB and she said she would "do anything"!! the person also asked alot of question about Merchandise which I guess it is because she worked at a christian bookstore and has experience in retail! They also asked her what was her favorite park and she said Hollywood studios! So, we think if she is accepted she will get either QSFB or merch!:confused3 she would rather do Photopass or attractions but she will do anything!! And she hopes to be at Hollywood studios no matter what she does!!! Tomorrow will be one week since the interview and based on what we have read online and heard on Youtube that most people heard in about 10days!! But we aren't going to hold our breath!

Ok, so who has applied for Fall advantage 2010? My daughter joined the facebook group and has "met" some girls and they are talking about being roomies already!!

Sorry this was so long!! I just wanted to introduce myself and give alittle background info!!

Laurie

Good luck to your daughter! I hope she gets just what she wants. My daughter is there now. Her major is Fashion Design and she wanted Entertainment Costuming at Hollywood Studios, and that's exactly what she got, so it can happen! (She said she would take anything too - she just wanted to be at Disney). I think they try to put people where they prefer, if possible, and even if she's somewhere else, I know she'll love it!

That's great that she's meeting people on FB. My DD did that and is rooming with 7 other girls. They've been there almost 4 weeks, and so far they are all getting along just fine.

I hope you find out soon - the waiting is the hardest part!

Heyy Im 18 years old and am going into the fall CP. I have a few questions as well. Im not a parent but I was hoping someone could help me out anyway??

Okay here it goes..
1. If i cant bring my car is it bad or harder to just take the buses thes provide? how does that work?

4. For housing is it usually cheaper to room with more people or is it the same either way?

I'm sure somebody with more answers than me will come along, but I'll try to help.
1. From what I've heard, the buses are fine. You just have to allow plenty of time to get to work (at least an hour or more). The buses also run to WalMart and a few other places.

2. There's a 1-time fee when you're accepted. I think it's either $100 or $200. You do pay rent for your apartment, but it's taken out of your paycheck before you get it. And of course, you buy your own groceries, etc.

3. I believe CP's are guaranteed at least 30 hours of work, but can be more in busy times.

4. Yes, housing is cheaper with more roommates, but I'm not sure of the exact numbers. There are always 2 people in each bedroom. You can have a 1 bedroom apartment with just you and 1 other girl, all the way up to a 4 bedroom with 7 other girls.

I hope this helps a little bit! There's a lot of info on the website too.

Okay here it goes..

1. It is possible to get along without a car (I've done it for all of my CPs). It can be a pain at times, but usually is fine. The buses go to all 4 parks, the resorts, Downtown Disney, Walmart, and other places.

2. You pay a $100 fee when you accept the offer. After that, you don't have to pay anything (outside of rent), unless you take any Disney classes.

3. CPs are technically full-time, but don't get any of the FT benefits. CPs are guaranteed 30 hours, but can work more. So far, my average is around 40-45 hours a week.

4. It's cheaper to room with more people. The cheapest is Vista (I believe it's around $79). Then it's $84 for Chatham 3/4 bedrooms, $85 for Patterson 3 bedrooms, $94 for Chatham 1/2 bedrooms, and $95 for Patterson 1/2 bedrooms.

Laurie

That would be awsome if she got GMR. I'm currently working there, and love it so much. I'm currently on Spring 2010, but I'm considering extending until Aug (unless I try to go FT in May instead).

Good luck to your daughter! I hope she gets just what she wants. My daughter is there now. Her major is Fashion Design and she wanted Entertainment Costuming at Hollywood Studios, and that's exactly what she got, so it can happen! (She said she would take anything too - she just wanted to be at Disney). I think they try to put people where they prefer, if possible, and even if she's somewhere else, I know she'll love it!

That's great that she's meeting people on FB. My DD did that and is rooming with 7 other girls. They've been there almost 4 weeks, and so far they are all getting along just fine.

I hope you find out soon - the waiting is the hardest part!

I'm sure somebody with more answers than me will come along, but I'll try to help.
1. From what I've heard, the buses are fine. You just have to allow plenty of time to get to work (at least an hour or more). The buses also run to WalMart and a few other places.

2. There's a 1-time fee when you're accepted. I think it's either $100 or $200. You do pay rent for your apartment, but it's taken out of your paycheck before you get it. And of course, you buy your own groceries, etc.

3. I believe CP's are guaranteed at least 30 hours of work, but can be more in busy times.

4. Yes, housing is cheaper with more roommates, but I'm not sure of the exact numbers. There are always 2 people in each bedroom. You can have a 1 bedroom apartment with just you and 1 other girl, all the way up to a 4 bedroom with 7 other girls.

I hope this helps a little bit! There's a lot of info on the website too.

Thanks for all that info :)

My other questions were how does it work out with your college. How would i go about getting it credited for the classes im going to take at disney "university"? Im confused on how all that works out???

Thanks for all that info :)

My other questions were how does it work out with your college. How would i go about getting it credited for the classes im going to take at disney "university"? Im confused on how all that works out???

You don't have to take classes if you don't want to. The classes are actually held at the apartment complexes if you do take them. Some colleges offer credit for taking the Disney classes and others don't. My college wouldn't but in order to find out if your college offers credit I would talk to a councler or an internernship professor.

You don't have to take classes if you don't want to. The classes are actually held at the apartment complexes if you do take them. Some colleges offer credit for taking the Disney classes and others don't. My college wouldn't but in order to find out if your college offers credit I would talk to a councler or an internernship professor.

Okay so i talk to the counselor or internship professor at my college? then they will contact disney or i just give them my completed disney classes later and then they add them on?

My daughter just started her CP this week. What can you tell me about these payroll cards? I don't want her to be paying fees to access her paycheck. What has been your CPers' experiences?

Okay so i talk to the counselor or internship professor at my college? then they will contact disney or i just give them my completed disney classes later and then they add them on?

You talk to them and they will determine if they will give you credit for anything you might do. Then you have to follow up on your own either with paperwork that you need to get filled out down there, or whatever your school may do, if they even accept credits. A lot don't. Mine wouldn't. There are schools that will give you credits and you might be able to transfer them, but I would pull up or print out the webpage that has all the info on the CP website, and go over that with whoever you talk to at your school.

My daughter just started her CP this week. What can you tell me about these payroll cards? I don't want her to be paying fees to access her paycheck. What has been your CPers' experiences?

I set my paycheck up with direct deposit to my hometown bank. Before that I would have to deposit my checks into an ATM.

The PaychekPLUS! Elite Visa Payroll Cards issued to Florida-Site College and International Program Participants are similiar to the Benefits Card which many US States now issue to those receiving Public Assistance Benefits (EBT/"Food Stamps", Temporary Cash Assistance, etc.).

Participants will have the funds from their weekly pay deposited onto the card, and can then perform one of the following transactions per week at no charge:
  • Money Order Purchase (from any USPS Post Office or Walmart location)
  • ATM Withdrawal (from any Partners Federal Credit Union or Allpoint Network ATM)
  • Online transfer to a US-, Puerto Rico- or US Territory-based Bank or Credit Union Account.
  • Cash Withdrawal at any Partners Federal Credit Union branch.

After that, they can use their Payroll Card for domestic purchases, with or without Cash Back, at no charge. Most other transactions, however, will incur fees, which are outlined in the Cardholder Agreement distributed to all Participants.

its really well and good for parents because the questions of ll relevant to student all can easily discussing and got more idea about them.
It is great.

My daughter is getting so discouraged because a few people who interviewed the same day got acceptance emails!! I know she will be devastated if she didn't get in!! This has been one of her dreams since she was about 9!!

I have been reading that alot of people that got accepted got there first choice for roles!!

Have a great day everyone!!

My daughter is getting so discouraged because a few people who interviewed the same day got acceptance emails!! I know she will be devastated if she didn't get in!! This has been one of her dreams since she was about 9!!

I have been reading that alot of people that got accepted got there first choice for roles!!

I know it's hard, but tell her not to be discouraged yet. My DD was pended last fall and was really discouraged, but a few weeks later she was accepted AND got her first choice role!

I have also heard that they were sending out emails by region- so maybe the people she knows live in other areas and just received their emails first.

I don't think anyone has heard in Maryland yet - and don't forget, your mail may be delayed because of that freak snowstorm!

It's been almost three weeks (three weeks tomorrow) for me, and I haven't heard a peep. So she's not alone!

Hi all, My DD has been accepted for merchadising. She is so excited. She has been on facebook and found roomies. At this point my concern is How much money do they need to bring with them? How long is it before they get their first paycheck?

Hi all, My DD has been accepted for merchadising. She is so excited. She has been on facebook and found roomies. At this point my concern is How much money do they need to bring with them? How long is it before they get their first paycheck?

She will need enough money to last for a couple weeks. Her first check will be very small after rent is taken out for the first two weeks.

It depends on how much she's bringing from home. She'll need enough for two weeks worth of groceries, toilet paper, shower stuff, etc. as well as enough for a pair of shoes and possibly some socks.

Many locations require you to have a specific type of shoes/socks to work there. Usually said shoes can be found at Wal-mart for about $20 (mine were fifteen, I believe) and the socks were another $10 or so.

If you want an actual number, it really depends, but I started out with $150 and I was fine. However, I drove down and brought a lot of stuff in the car with me (soap, shampoos, some snacks, bedding, cleaners, etc.) I would probably recommend $150 as the minimum but $200-$300 to have spending/play money as well.

The first real, usable pay check will be about two weeks after she arrives. Hope this helped!

Any parent remotely interested in DVC, the time to buy is when your child is in the college program. If you have any questions feel free to PM me .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter