Cloth diapering in Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sassie Kat, very interesting. I've been a mother for awhile now--LOL--and never knew that. We buy Target brand diapers--no instructions on the box!!! I've never in my life done that. Interesting.

Take a look at the "directions" (ha! they still crack my up after 6+ years!) on the diaper box next time you buy a new one. At least on the Pampers boxes, the third (I think?) step shows a diaper being held over a toilet with a little present falling in!

Also, just so you don't think I'm off my rocker . . .
Dump any poop into the toilet, if possible. Fold up the dirty diaper and fasten it closed with its tabs, then put it in the trash or diaper pail. If it's flushable or compostable, dispose of it according to the manufacturer's guidelines.

Taken from http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-change-a-disposable-diaper_3838.bc

**edited to fix a spelling mistake

That's just fine when you're in a residential or hotel bathroom. Not exactly practical in the parks. You're changing the baby on a table. Then what? Go to the back of the line of all the ladies waiting for a stall while holding a poopy diaper as well as a baby and assorted bags? Yeah, that would be popular. The only logical thing is to fold up the diaper and drop it in the nearest receptacle. I know I would really, really prefer that you not stand right behind me holding a 'ripe one' while you waited for your turn in a stall.

i cloth diaper my youngest, but i use disposables on vacation. frankly, i don't want to worry about having to do cloth diaper laundry. it's one little thing i can cross of my list!

When it's easy and the poop was hard enough that it would fall off of the disposable, I dumped it into the nearest toilet and flushed. If there was a line, or if the poop was not hard, I didn't bother, but really that is a rare occurance.

Keeps the diaper trash from smelling nasty, too. I rarely threw a poop diaper in the trash at home either, if we were using disposables for some reason. The poop is so gross smelling. Entire house smells better if the poop goes in the toilet!

When it's easy and the poop was hard enough that it would fall off of the disposable, I dumped it into the nearest toilet and flushed. If there was a line, or if the poop was not hard, I didn't bother, but really that is a rare occurance.

Keeps the diaper trash from smelling nasty, too. I rarely threw a poop diaper in the trash at home either, if we were using disposables for some reason. The poop is so gross smelling. Entire house smells better if the poop goes in the toilet!

This! It's really not that hard to shake a poop into a toilet. I always did it, even when using disposables. The first family I ever babysat for taught me that - they said putting solid poop in the diaper bin would stink up the bathroom, so just shake it into the toilet, then throw the (disposable!) diaper away.

Plus, I don't know about other people's babies, but mine produced many more wet diapers than they did poopy ones, so it wasn't like it was a huge concern. Maybe once or twice a day? And, of course, it's a total non-issue if you're still breastfeeding exclusively.

Disposable. If you don't, you are wrapping up that nice solid body waste to sit in a plastic diaper that is going to take years to decompose and that lovely poo will still be sitting in the landfill.

I used disposables for all three of my kids and the only time I didn't do the shake before throwing away was when my babies were still exclusively breastfed. Once they started eating and their poos became solid, it got shaken into the toilet.

I've never ever seen anyone do that. Never knew people did it either. If you do so, great. But I don't think you are "supposed" to do so.

maxiesmom said:
I've never ever seen anyone do that. Never knew people did it either. If you do so, great. But I don't think you are "supposed" to do so.

I never knew about it either. I always put my kids poopy diapers outside. They never stayed in the house.

Could be a regional thing.

I know around here (Eastern Ontario), you are definitely supposed to. You're also supposed to flush your dog poop (the city requests it since their facilities aren't set up to process human or animal waste), but based on the many little baggies filling up public cans no one actually listens to that particular advice.

Flushing baby poo, on the other hand, actually seems to have stuck, maybe because it makes sense to people in a way that flushing dog poo doesn't. They enforce it at daycares, drop ins, and I was taught to do it as a babysitter. Just good manners, really. No one wants to deal with a lot of poop in the garbage. Especially not in your own home. It's worse than rotten fish, and you can't exactly stick it in your freezer, either. Nor would your neighbours thank you if you put it outside next to their driveway. ;)

And when my kiddos were two, it was useful when we started toilet training. "Where does the poo go? In the toilet!" It was natural to go from shaking it in from the diaper, to going on a training seat and tipping it in, to actually sitting on the toilet and going.

You are supposed to, because otherwise you are introducing unprocessed biohazards into the 'trash' route, which is actually illegal. Don't worry, I don't think the po-po is going to chase you down :lmao: But I am mindful of the fact that human waste should be processed appropriately with either cloth or disposable diapers.

I couldn't even imagine going on vacation with out disposable diapers. Just the thoughts of bing in the park in August with a stinky cloth diaper. I think if some one wants to do it more power too you, I thank you for helping our earth.:worship:

But I'm on vacation! Woo hoo feet up, having a blast, not thinking twice about laundry or cooking until I get back!!!!

ThreeBeans said:
You are supposed to, because otherwise you are introducing unprocessed biohazards into the 'trash' route, which is actually illegal. Don't worry, I don't think the po-po is going to chase you down :lmao: But I am mindful of the fact that human waste should be processed appropriately with either cloth or disposable diapers.

Wow. This just seems like a strange splitting of hairs. There would often still have been plenty of poo on my kids' diapers even after the solids were removed (if I had ever thought to do so!). Oh, this is bringing back bad memories! ;). And seriously, what about wipes and feminine hygiene products? Don't they introduce unprocessed biohazards. I guess I just don't get the rationale here. But I don't make the laws--I just try to obey them.

Regarding the dog poop in Canada, does that include when you're out and about? Like, if I took my dog for a run, would I have to carry the goods back home to flush? Sounds like fun! ;)

Edited for typo

Regarding the dog poop in Canada, does that include when you're out and about? Like, if I took my dog for a run, would I have to carry the goods back home to flush? Sounds like fun! ;)

Edited for typo

While I'm right there with you regarding human poo from diapers in the landfill vs other human waste that goes there...

I'm pretty sure that the concept of doggy pooper scoopers and doggie poo bags are not unique to Canada. Don't most cities in the US require pet owners to clean up after their animals and dispose of solid wastes? Please tell me that you don't allow your dog to poop on public property or someone else's lawn and just leave it there.

While I'm right there with you regarding human poo from diapers in the landfill vs other human waste that goes there...

I'm pretty sure that the concept of doggy pooper scoopers and doggie poo bags are not unique to Canada. Don't most cities in the US require pet owners to clean up after their animals and dispose of solid wastes in the garbage? Please tell me that you don't allow your dog to poop on public property or someone else's lawn and just leave it there.

I think she means you have to take it home and flush it!:rotfl2: Can you just see all of us dog-owners now? Not only do I have to bag my doggies business when we are out, but I have to shake it into the toilet too! :rotfl2:

Just so everyone knows, CDing is not as gross as it seems.:rotfl: We do not, in fact, cloth diaper because we love poop and just want to get as close to it as possible! I was VERY wary of trying cloth, and I used disposables on my first child. I started out CDing with biodegradable inserts in covers, but I quickly realized that, with the help of a diaper sprayer, I absolutely have no more contact with poo than I did when we used sposies.

And the smell is MUCH less offensive when not mixed with the chemicals and gel from the pampers or whatever. Wetbags do a pretty good job of keeping odor down actually, especially if the diapers have been rinsed. And now that we are PTing and using pullups, I now GAG every time I need to change the diaper genie - now that is a disgusting smell. Sooo...we're not dirty hippies, just so ya know ;)

I think she means you have to take it home and flush it! Can you just see all of us dog-owners now? Not only do I have to bag my doggies business when we are out, but I have to shake it into the toilet too!

OK, got it. Yeah, I really don't get the need to flush everything either. It either ends up in a landfill and eventually degrades, or it ends up in the sewer system. If it ends in the sewers it eventually is separated out. Wonder where all the solids from the sewers end up?

My oldest daughter is one of those baby wearing, cloth diapering, breastfeeding, homeschooling moms. I don't know where she got it since I was a stroller pushing, bottle feeding, Huggie buying, can't-get-the-kids-on-the-bus-fast-enough mom.

Even so, she breaks down and uses disposables with they are at Disney or otherwise traveling.

This is me...and after one camping trip with cloth I decided I would rather use disposables on a trip. It wasn't much fun collecting poop and pee diapers, and having to store them somewhere. It was either wash them out in the creek, and store them in our car..or not wash them out and store them in the car. Either way, it wasn't fun.

After our camping trip I only did cloth if we were staying in a home, or a condo with a washing machine. If I didn't have direct access to laundry in the quarters we were staying in, we did disposables.

The only reason I would have continued to cloth diaper under all circumstances was if I had a child who had allergies and required the use of cloth at all times.

Magpie said:
Could be a regional thing.

I know around here (Eastern Ontario), you are definitely supposed to. You're also supposed to flush your dog poop (the city requests it since their facilities aren't set up to process human or animal waste), but based on the many little baggies filling up public cans no one actually listens to that particular advice.

Flushing baby poo, on the other hand, actually seems to have stuck, maybe because it makes sense to people in a way that flushing dog poo doesn't. They enforce it at daycares, drop ins, and I was taught to do it as a babysitter. Just good manners, really. No one wants to deal with a lot of poop in the garbage. Especially not in your own home. It's worse than rotten fish, and you can't exactly stick it in your freezer, either. Nor would your neighbours thank you if you put it outside next to their driveway. ;)

And when my kiddos were two, it was useful when we started toilet training. "Where does the poo go? In the toilet!" It was natural to go from shaking it in from the diaper, to going on a training seat and tipping it in, to actually sitting on the toilet and going.

That will be the day I flush my dogs poop lol

I think she means you have to take it home and flush it!:rotfl2: Can you just see all of us dog-owners now? Not only do I have to bag my doggies business when we are out, but I have to shake it into the toilet too! :rotfl2:
Actually, disposal of cat and dog feces is against my city's "Refuse Guidelines". I still do it, rebel that I am! My friend does take her bags of doggie poop inside and empties them into the toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter