• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Closing procedures

sol2338

Earning My Ears
Can someone tell me the procedures for closing?

Per fidelity it says that Disney has been notified of the transfer and it can take 2-4 weeks to be entered in the system. I thought I read on the board to check the Orange County website? What am I looking for there?

Thanks!

Can someone tell me the procedures for closing?

Per fidelity it says that Disney has been notified of the transfer and it can take 2-4 weeks to be entered in the system. I thought I read on the board to check the Orange County website? What am I looking for there?

Being listed on the OC web site is not the important part, though you can look yourself up just to make sure the deed looks correct.

Once the sale has closed and the title company has recorded the deed with Orange County, they forward a copy of the deed to Disney. Disney has something of a backlog, so they're taking about 8-10 business days to finish the process of creating the member account. Once the member account is created, they send out a packet to the new member via US Mail that has their new member ID and the codes needed to set up their DVCMember.com login.

It used to be that you could call Disney once the account was created and they would give you your member number over the phone, but they've gotten to be sticklers for policy lately, probably because they were handling so many phone calls from people trying to get their member number. :) Their policy is not to give out a member number over the phone unless you have some other piece of non-public information to identify yourself, and the only thing they will accept is your social security number. But when you buy resale, your social security number isn't in their computer, because the resale company doesn't send it to them, because they don't get it from you, so you can't get your member number. Catch-22.

If you want to look yourself up on the OC Comptroller web site, just enter your last name and first name, in that order with no punctuation, in the Grantee field and hit search. For example, if your name is Joe Jones, enter "JONES JOE" in that field. Though if your name is relatively common, you might want to add a middle initial as well, like "JONES JOE J".

Here's the web site:

http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/docSearch.jsp

Click "view image" to see a PDF of your recorded deed once you see it show up. You might want to check the details to make sure your name is right and so forth.

A closing is an actual event where all the paper work is checked, money is paid or otherwise transferred, and the final deed is issued with a copy provided to the local recorder of deeds for official filing (the Orange County Comptroller in Florida). You need not attend the closing. Soon after closing you will be able to find a copy of your deed and other papers that might have been filed (such as DVD's waiver of ROFR) on line at the Comptroller's site http://or.occompt.com/recorder/web/ Closing documents are also provided to DVD and then DVD sets you up in its computer system and sends a letter providing your member number. From closing to being able to find your deed on-line usually takes several days to a week. As to Disney's getting you into the system and sending the letter, that can take longer and lately I have seen reports of two to three weeks after closing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter