(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS INFORMATION THREAD ~2014~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful resort
It's even more beautiful in person and welcome to the thread.

Thank you everyone you have all been so helpful and convinced me that this is the right resort for us :) I'm getting close to booking dates and prices depending on the return quote offer x
Let us know when it's official and I will log your dates on PAGE 2.

We haven't stayed at WL in quite a few years, but we decided to do US/IOA and then WL Dec 9-12 because I love the Christmas decorations here more than anywhere else we've stayed. We had the grandaughter at ASMU last October and a pre-cancer surgery trip to Yacht Club CL last February and I remarked both times about how much I love WDW in Dec, so we booked AoA last May and then decided to switch to WL with woods view today. So far we've booked ADR dinners at Raglan Road, Artist Point, and Cape May Buffet and plan to "wing it" with QS the rest of the time.

If I could stay off Dis Boards I wouldn't be going back so often! :laughing:
I hope your next trip is more "celebratory":goodvibes. Nothing at all wrong with the QSs and you can even try some walk-up TSs;)

I concur with KOOK!!!!:thumbsup2: ...who, btw, seems to be missing a ticker?!?!?!?!??????:worried:
Sorry this is a tad :offtopic:, but thanks for asking.

Wow, nothing gets past you:magnify::sail:. I thought I could delete that Christmas ticker and no one would be the wiser:blush:. Well, this is the first time in a loooooong time that I actually don't have a WDW trip booked/planned. At first I felt a bit lost and sad, but now I'm getting used to it and it's actually opened up some new opportunities. We've been going to WDW about twice a year for years and now that the APs and TiW have expired, upcoming non-Disney vacations for the next year or so seem to be replacing the Disney ones. We had a conflict with Christmas so I had to cancel and normally I would have then booked spring break or summer, but we have other vacation plans for those timeframes. Sometimes it's good to take a break from a routine to get a different perspective, right?:scratchin

I have nothing packed yet...feeling stressed!
I hope you've done some packing by now:scratchin

Quick question - does anyone know what the day restrictions will be for the free waterpark pass during the pool refurb?

Wondering if we could use the pass on our check-out day (when we don't have any park tickets)...

Thanks!
I don't know, but I assume it's valid from time of check-in through your check-out day, like Club Level access:confused3. I guess we won't know for certain until after 9/3.

I see so much complaining on this thread and other threads about the Wilderness Lodge construction and this is how I feel about the situation:

Honestly, if you are on this board you are most likely privileged enough to visit WDW. I feel so blessed that I am able to experience the magic at any capacity. People get SO picky about accommodations and I understand that it isn't cheap but it's still magical. Disney is doing all they can to make sure guests are not affected by the construction. I am still choosing to stay at the lodge with my husband in Sept. I feel grateful that I am able, physically and financially, to get this vacation. So really, let's stop complaining so much about these "first world problems." There are kids who would do anything to visit WDW and even worse families who struggle to have food on the table every night.

So instead of complaining about a little bit of pixie dust, why don't we take a moment to feel grateful for all that we have.

AND if the construction bothers you so much than simply change your resort! Stop putting a dark cloud over this once, lively, fun thread.

Thanks.
:hug:

I could not agree more! My daughters were in Peru this summer on missions trip building homes and the children there still smile and are so grateful. They took bubble gum with them $50 worth and you would think you gave them a million bucks!! Definitely changes the way you think and view the world. I feel so incredibly blessed to be able to upgrade to a deluxe something we haven't done in years and I will treasure every minute both good and bad- I do understand that people pay a lot of money for deluxe but as you said, they have option of changing resorts if at all possible. Family time is everything to me now esp. having one daughter living away and in grad school and the other a senior in high school and will soon be leaving home- this just may be the last large family vacation we get for awhile.
:hug:
My DD will be a Junior so I'll be in your shoes next year.

I wonder if you are confusing this thread with the Wilderness Lodge Mess thread? I had to go back to page 92 of this one to see any mention of the pool, and that was about an email sent in error by WDW. While there was a lot of pool talk in the prior WL thread, and some in this one as well, I think most of the pool talk has moved over to the "Mess" thread.
In June, I posted to the POOL UPDATE ON PAGE TWO the link to the WL Mess thread because I felt it was a more appropriate venue to address pool rehab/compensation complaints. When/if I get new information, I post it and hyperlink it in the update on PAGE 2. I posted the pool permits and some construction comments on 8/12. That post is also hyperlinked in the pool rehab update on page two.

Rescue from Page 2.
We're excited that we get to head to WDW in 24 days. While we don't get to stay at WL this time, we can't wait to go visit.

Congratulations to all with trips booked, and those lucky enough to be there now or soon. :cool1:
I think it's fun trying new resorts and besides, our favorite OFC manager, Randy, is now over at POR/POFQ so a little piece of WL will be there for you. I hope you get to meet him over in the Recreation Dept.

everybody can't change their resort whether they are needful of a FDP offer or are DVC'rs who booked ASAP during busy times (for us marathon weekend) and have found themselves out of luck finding any availability...anywhere at this point.

VWL is one of our home resorts, and a favorite. However, imo, the quiet poolscape is small and will never accommodate all the guests if they decide not to visit CR or FW. Yes, DVC members are able to pool hop to others resorts. The idea has never been appealing to me. we bought and book where we want to stay & the pool amenity is a big part of our decision process.

now to find and monitor the 'mess' thread.;)
The link is in POST 2 HERE.

Hey there everyone!

Was just wondering if anyone had any updates on construction- is all still scheduled to begin on time beginning of Sept? We are not heading to WL until 17th of December so really hoping it will be completed by then. For those of you there let us know if you are hearing anything. No matter what we certainly plan to enjoy every minute of our trip and we couldn't be more excited. This will be our first stay at WL and really a dream come true since we have always wanted to stay here. :)
Happy First WL Stay!

The pool closure is still slated to begin on 3 SEP and the pool is still supposed to re-open about 3 weeks prior to your check-in:). If there are any schedule changes that I become aware of, I'll post them here and to POST 2.

We are checking into the WL as part our split trip tomorrow :cloud9: we've been enjoying the YC part of our trip since Sunday :love:
I hope you're enjoying your stay. Splits are fun!

We just got back from our stay at Wilderness Lodge. We had a room at the pool area. We enjoyed our stay. We loved being able to take the boat to MK! Our flight left late afternoon so we were able to leave our luggage in storage and change clothes over at the fitness room. Everyone was friendly and helpful!
Glad you had a nice vacation and did you book a BB?

I was just reading a thread from 2013 about the paved path to Fort Wilderness, and the unpaved nature trail. I can't wait to check them out.
Photos of the trails to FW are located HERE in the ACTIVITIES section of the thread.

There is no sign of construction, correct? Someone reported tarps etc. on the WL Mess thread:confused3:confused3 WE come down Sunday but do not check in at WL until next Thursday. :cool1:
The pool rehab project won't start until 3 SEP. However, some scaffolding work was/is being done to the exterior of some Standard/Woods View rooms in the South Wing above the Cub's Den area. The work may have moved from that area by now. The screens were up about a month ago for the Silver Creek paint/rehab work that was being done. That work was completed and the creek began flowing again on 7/28.

Next week at this time we will be arriving at MCO for our first WL stay!!!
:yay:

How is the walk from the parking lot to the rooms? With 2 kiddos & 2 strollers we're thinking it would be easier to just load up the truck rather than waiting on a bus then quickly unloading the kids folding up the strollers and hoping we'll all fit in the bus.

Also how full does the WL parking lot tend to be? from the pictures posted it looks like quite a haul if you have to park in the north 40. Mostly I am hoping everyone flies and we get rock star parking all week long.:lmao:

How is the walk from the parking lot to the rooms? With 2 kiddos & 2 strollers we're thinking it would be easier to just load up the truck rather than waiting on a bus then quickly unloading the kids folding up the strollers and hoping we'll all fit in the bus.

Also how full does the WL parking lot tend to be? from the pictures posted it looks like quite a haul if you have to park in the north 40. Mostly I am hoping everyone flies and we get rock star parking all week long.:lmao:
We've always found it really easy to park at WL. We always drive and have never had a problem parking. Mid-lot is the furthest we've had to park. One of you can go get the car and drive right up to the Lodge to load/unload. Easy schmeezy.

Hi all,
First of all, thank you to everyone that contributes to this thread. I have booked WL for 12/21-12/26. (Surprise for our kids) Not our first visit to WDW or first WDW Christmas but it is the first time we've stayed at WL. I know we saw Santa at BWI but wondered if he would be appearing at WL or has appeared there in the past? Also, do any characters do Meet & Greets in the lobby?
TYIA

So, I put in the request with my TA a little bit ago for a handicapped accessible room for my mom and dad as my mom has issues with her legs and so a higher toilet and walk in shower would be best. My TA got off with Disney tonight and they said there were no HA rooms in the courtyard. I just got off with someone at Disney who said that they have HA rooms in the courtyard, woods view, and pool view, though they couldn't give me specific room numbers. Anyone have any experiences with this? I hate to "upgrade" to a woods view as they're telling my TA we need to do to get a HA room (and pay the $90 fee) if there really are rooms in the courtyard as we booked a year ago.

So, I put in the request with my TA a little bit ago for a handicapped accessible room for my mom and dad as my mom has issues with her legs and so a higher toilet and walk in shower would be best. My TA got off with Disney tonight and they said there were no HA rooms in the courtyard. I just got off with someone at Disney who said that they have HA rooms in the courtyard, woods view, and pool view, though they couldn't give me specific room numbers. Anyone have any experiences with this? I hate to "upgrade" to a woods view as they're telling my TA we need to do to get a HA room (and pay the $90 fee) if there really are rooms in the courtyard as we booked a year ago.

Room 1159 is an HA room courtyard pool room. We just stayed there. We didn't need an HA room but were given one as an upgrade to courtyard.

Hi all! I'm new here but DH, our DD (aka Zazu) and myself will be at WL on Sept 7-9. My first stay on Disney Property, DD's first trip to Disney and hubby's first time at Disney since he was 17 (he's been to WL before). I can't wait! :wizard:

6025 is a courtyard view handicapped accessible room in the North wing. There are quite a few handicapped accessible courtyard view rooms, especially on the first floor.

I am confused by your reference to courtyard, woods, and pool though. There are three bookable categories of rooms at WL, Standard, Woods, and Courtyard, of which Courtyard is the most expensive. Rooms with pool views are considered courtyard view. There is a map here: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=51688588&postcount=4 with the room numbers and their view categories and locations.

Hi all,
First of all, thank you to everyone that contributes to this thread. I have booked WL for 12/21-12/26. (Surprise for our kids) Not our first visit to WDW or first WDW Christmas but it is the first time we've stayed at WL. I know we saw Santa at BWI but wondered if he would be appearing at WL or has appeared there in the past? Also, do any characters do Meet & Greets in the lobby?
TYIA

The only time I've been to WL during the holidays was December 2010 (freezing cold, but that's another story :)). Mickey and Minnie were dressed as Santa and Mrs. Clause and greeting on the bridge near the back windows. I don't know if they, or any other characters, still do that. I'll bet some of the regulars on here will know.

Can anybody tell me if there is a photopass photographer in the lobby with the Christmas tree?

We were at the WL the week after Thanksgiving and there was a photopass photographer at the WL every day until about 8pm. Once or twice we saw two photographers. There were lots of people who came to the lodge all dressed up in their Christmas clothes, just so they could get a picture. We saw the same thing happening at the GF and AKL lobbies. They have similar trees.

Hey guys! We're at 96 Days today!!!! So excited to be in double digits!!!!!!!!!

How about everyone else? How many days to go for you?!

So we decided we really don't want to stay at GF, and we are back at WL Dec 2-8. I know it's still a small risk with the pool - coplypse but I don't care! I want my Christmas tree!

I just have to change my ticker.

Hey guys! We're at 96 Days today!!!! So excited to be in double digits!!!!!!!!!

How about everyone else? How many days to go for you?!

Congratulations. Those last 99 days always seem to go quickly for us. It seems like we just hit double digits, and now we're down to 21 days.

So we decided we really don't want to stay at GF, and we are back at WL Dec 2-8. I know it's still a small risk with the pool - coplypse but I don't care! I want my Christmas tree!

Welcome Home! I really don't think the construction will inhibit your mobility around the resort too badly. It should be a great trip at a resort you know you love. :thumbsup2

That is a great week to stay at the lodge. I have a feeling you won't have any problems with the pool construction. :goodvibes

We will be there two months from today - Oct 22nd. We are really looking forward to it and all the Halloween fun that comes with a late October trip. :thumbsup2

We are planning to stop by the WL in Sept and check out the pool construction. I'll let you know what I find out. :)

Congratulations. Those last 99 days always seem to go quickly for us. It seems like we just hit double digits, and now we're down to 21 days

Thanks!! Wow you're really almost there!!! Did you start doing any packing? You must be so excited!!!!

Thanks!! Wow you're really almost there!!! Did you start doing any packing? You must be so excited!!!!

I got the luggage out this week, and have my collection of Disney stuff ready to go. I am resisting the urge to start filling suitcases, at least for another week or so. :yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter