(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS Information Thread ~2012~

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Fiancée and I are flying to Disney World this Sunday. We were originally booked for Port Orleans Riverside from December 16th-23rd. Today he begged me to call Disney and see if there was any availability at Wilderness Lodge so we can upgrade (he had fallen in love with the resort while looking up pictures online). Yes, that is correct…we changed our reservations 3 days before we are due to arrive :rolleyes2. Yes, we are crazy. I am freaking out. This entire time I have planned our trip based around our stay at POR, I knew which was the best bus stop to use, what the fastest way to get to the lobby etc. I have never stayed at Wilderness Lodge before let alone a deluxe. I have no idea what I am in for! I have been thrown for a loop ever since we changed our ressies for WL a couple of hours ago. What are the basic things I need to know about this resort? I am going to try to read back as much as I can through this thread. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!
Welcome! You know, we have a thread just for you - The Resort Changers' Thread. I'm not naming names:rolleyes1, but some of us, I mean them, have even changed resorts mid-trip, at check-in... You have plenty of time to regroup. You're going to love WL!

You've gotten some great advice already. There is a free Lodge tour and more activities/photos listed on the first page. One thing that sometimes gets overlooked is that there is actually a non-stop bus from/to WL and the MK in addition to the (Red Flag) MK boat. And, don't overlook FW. You can walk or boat right to it - lots of fun to be found in the wilderness and good eats, too;)

I'm am beyond excited right now!!! We did it! We booked our first ever WL Christmas trip!!! We have never been during the Christmas season and on top of it....we will be there for my bday!!!!!! So we are thrilled. We requested north wing / top floor and I booked a woods view room... Do I need to call back and ask for a MK side? I was thinking other side of wing would be court view. Am I correct? Just wanted to make sure we are in the MK side... Again I do realize its just a request but hoping it will work out since we booked this early!!!! Soooooo excited!
Congratulations! Yes, the North Wing is the MK/CR/Castle side and the South Wing is the VWL side. Make sure that your birthday is noted in your reservation:cake:. Happy planning!

My Fiancée and I are flying to Disney World this Sunday. We were originally booked for Port Orleans Riverside from December 16th-23rd. Today he begged me to call Disney and see if there was any availability at Wilderness Lodge so we can upgrade (he had fallen in love with the resort while looking up pictures online). Yes, that is correct…we changed our reservations 3 days before we are due to arrive :rolleyes2. Yes, we are crazy. I am freaking out. This entire time I have planned our trip based around our stay at POR, I knew which was the best bus stop to use, what the fastest way to get to the lobby etc. I have never stayed at Wilderness Lodge before let alone a deluxe. I have no idea what I am in for! I have been thrown for a loop ever since we changed our ressies for WL a couple of hours ago. What are the basic things I need to know about this resort? I am going to try to read back as much as I can through this thread. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!

I echo what the others have said. I would simply add that you should make sure to take some time to just bask in the ambience of the lodge. From the moment you walk through the front door, you will be forever connected to the Lodge. It truly has a personality of its own. So warm and inviting and comforting. My wife and I are DVC owners with our home resort being VWL. It is always good to go home.

We're currently at WL. No BB flyer in the room, but we received the BB email this morning. Same dates and discounts that everyone has been reporting.

Were you there after 12/2? I don't know if this will help you at all, but ktlm posted this HERE on 12/11:

I'm sure you'll have something booked soon:goodvibes.

Bummer! We checked out on the 3rd, but I did not receive an email (and I am signed up to get everything!) I doubt calling will do me any good, but I'm going to give it a try later today. I know we'll be back next year for another Christmas spirit trip :santa:

Quick question. . .we'll be at the Lodge in March (97 days :cheer2:). I have a valet parking question--if the cost is per day, is it actual day or is it a 24-hour period? We will get there about 9:30 am or so on a Thursday and leave about that same time on Sunday. I just couldn't figure out if that was 4 days or 3? I just like to know which to expect (not that I'm a compulsive planner or anything!!). ;)

Quick question. . .we'll be at the Lodge in March (97 days :cheer2:). I have a valet parking question--if the cost is per day, is it actual day or is it a 24-hour period? We will get there about 9:30 am or so on a Thursday and leave about that same time on Sunday. I just couldn't figure out if that was 4 days or 3? I just like to know which to expect (not that I'm a compulsive planner or anything!!). ;)

I was just at GF and was told the valet charge goes on the room bill at midnight. I ended up being charged twice on my arrival day because I valet parked, then paid the valet parking at 9:30 when I took the car out to pick up my DIL at the airport, then re-valeted the car when I returned to GF. Since the return was before midnight, I was charged twice for one day. Fortunately at check-out, the GF CM check-out guy noticed and corrected it.

I was just at GF and was told the valet charge goes on the room bill at midnight. I ended up being charged twice on my arrival day because I valet parked, then paid the valet parking at 9:30 when I took the car out to pick up my DIL at the airport, then re-valeted the car when I returned to GF. Since the return was before midnight, I was charged twice for one day. Fortunately at check-out, the GF CM check-out guy noticed and corrected it.

Thank you! That info helps! Glad the CM was on top of it and caught your overcharge!

Just back from a very short whirlwind trip (stayed at CSR). The Lodge is GORGEOUS for the holidays as usual. We toured almost all of the resorts to see the holiday decor & WL was my favorite! Now I'm even more excited to stay here in March. We toured WL at night around midnight & it was so serene & peaceful. I wanted to just rock by the fireplace all night long!

Hello,
Does anybody have the menu for the Club Level offerings?
Also what kind of beer they have? Hubby was asking me...

Thanks!

We had a great trip to WL at the end of August and beginning of September and now it's almost time for us to return. Can't wait to get back to our beloved Lodge! :cool1:

I haven't checked into this thread since September so I'm reading and reading trying to catch up! :crazy2:

Proposal photos would be fab! What a dreamy wedding you have planned! I think WL would be perfect for your small legal ceremony ::yes::

The smallest Disney wedding I ever saw was at WL. They were outside on the lower deck of the bear face (5th floor?) and there was just the officiant, the couple, and two witnesses. They had a round table set up just inside the door with a small wedding cake and a bottle of champagne. I think that would be such a nice spot!

I can't wait to get back to the lodge next month!

Just back from a very short whirlwind trip (stayed at CSR). The Lodge is GORGEOUS for the holidays as usual. We toured almost all of the resorts to see the holiday decor & WL was my favorite! Now I'm even more excited to stay here in March. We toured WL at night around midnight & it was so serene & peaceful. I wanted to just rock by the fireplace all night long!
March will be here before you know it - happy rocking!

Hello,
Does anybody have the menu for the Club Level offerings?
Also what kind of beer they have? Hubby was asking me...

Thanks!
The Old Faithful Club's daily menus are all posted on the first page HERE along with a photo of the fridge with all the beer HERE. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away:)

On my way. In the plane getting ready for take off. So excited!!!!!!!
How was check-in and where are you off to today?

We had a great trip to WL at the end of August and beginning of September and now it's almost time for us to return. Can't wait to get back to our beloved Lodge! :cool1:

I haven't checked into this thread since September so I'm reading and reading trying to catch up! :crazy2:
You're so lucky to be going back already - have a great time!

The smallest Disney wedding I ever saw was at WL. They were outside on the lower deck of the bear face (5th floor?) and there was just the officiant, the couple, and two witnesses. They had a round table set up just inside the door with a small wedding cake and a bottle of champagne. I think that would be such a nice spot!

I can't wait to get back to the lodge next month!
How sweet - maybe it was a vow renewal? Have a great time at WL next month!

I almost forgot - I think I said I'd report back on the new Test Track & the Fast Pass +. I enjoyed the new TT. I had seen many negative reviews on here so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm not a huge fan of TT to begin with, and I'm still not, but I think the interactive part is great, I know my boys will love it much more now. The old queue is gone- unless it's still there in the stand-by line (we had FP). Everyone goes to a computer screen to create their virtual car. I didn't like the set-up of this - while it only takes 1-2 minutes to do this, there were maybe 10 computers & 40 people fighting to get one. All 6 still ride in a vehicle & everyone's virtual car competes against each other in several road tests. After the ride you can race your virtual cars against each other, right before heading into the Chevrolet showroom. I can't see doing single rider for this, it was a lot of fun to be competing against each other with people we knew - we had 6 family members in one car. Overall I like TT better now than before.

FP+ just didn't work for us. I had chosen 4 things at MK & 3 at DHS - and we weren't in the right park or near the attraction for 6 of them, so we never went. The only one we used was the Wishes Preferred Viewing area in the rose garden. It was nice not to be jam packed body-to-body to watch Wishes, but getting there was difficult. From Main St they were running traffic in one direction only, away from the castle, so we had to go the backtrack by Tomorrowland Terrace into Tomorrowland & then back over the bridge which was mobbed. Nothing unusual though for Wishes!

I have a question for people who have been to WL in the winter months and/or during cold weather. Do they still have the afternoon pool parties if the weather is cold? Do they play loud music at the pool in the afternoon? DH is almost guaranteed to want to take a nap in the afternoon and he wouldn't like it if it was noisy.

I almost forgot - I think I said I'd report back on the new Test Track & the Fast Pass +. I enjoyed the new TT. I had seen many negative reviews on here so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm not a huge fan of TT to begin with, and I'm still not, but I think the interactive part is great, I know my boys will love it much more now. The old queue is gone- unless it's still there in the stand-by line (we had FP). Everyone goes to a computer screen to create their virtual car. I didn't like the set-up of this - while it only takes 1-2 minutes to do this, there were maybe 10 computers & 40 people fighting to get one. All 6 still ride in a vehicle & everyone's virtual car competes against each other in several road tests. After the ride you can race your virtual cars against each other, right before heading into the Chevrolet showroom. I can't see doing single rider for this, it was a lot of fun to be competing against each other with people we knew - we had 6 family members in one car. Overall I like TT better now than before.

FP+ just didn't work for us. I had chosen 4 things at MK & 3 at DHS - and we weren't in the right park or near the attraction for 6 of them, so we never went. The only one we used was the Wishes Preferred Viewing area in the rose garden. It was nice not to be jam packed body-to-body to watch Wishes, but getting there was difficult. From Main St they were running traffic in one direction only, away from the castle, so we had to go the backtrack by Tomorrowland Terrace into Tomorrowland & then back over the bridge which was mobbed. Nothing unusual though for Wishes!

Thanks Tara for your TT and FP reports. I was a bit worried about the possibility of pushing and shoving for kiosks. I think the addition of this whole designing and racing cars sounds like fun, but it pretty much eliminates the single rider option. (do they still have that?) How does the FP work here? Do you go into the preshow area while everyone from the stand by line has to wait or are you all mixed together?
How is the new Fantasyland looking? Did you try Be Our Guest?
Thanks to everyone for photos and trip reports. This place is a refuge, as well as a wonderful source of information.

My DW and DS9 got to do TT. We were there the day it re-opened. Unfortunately they were closing it down at 3:00 for the Media Event and by the time we got there the wait was 2 hours and there were no Fastpasses. I took my DS6 to do the Agent P adventure. DW started chatting up one of the cast members and asked if she could go get some coffee since the wait was going to be so long so she directed my DW to the nearest coffee shop. When she returned the cast member said not to make a scene but she gave my DW two Fastpasses that got them to the front of the line so they didn't have to wait! Clearing our rubbing of Humphrey's nose at the start of our trip was working. :thumbsup2

Since I didn't go on it (and we never went on it before) I can't give any more details about it except that of everything we did (including the Star Wars Training Academy) my DS9 said TT was the best thing of the entire trip. He loved it. I wish I had a chance to try it, but as I mentioned they were closing it and all of that part of Future World down at 3:00 so I was out of luck.

We did the Wishes Dessert Party at the Tomorrowland Terrace. The original night I wanted to do this they weren't having it because of the Media Event for the opening of the new Fantasyland. The also closed the monorail to Epcot that day for it so they were really messing up my plans.

Anyway, we found the Dessert Party was awesome. An hour before the fireworks you have an all you can eat dessert bar that was filled with all kinds of goodies. Then you watch the fireworks from the terrace with just the people from the dessert party so it is not crowded at all. You can either sit at your table if you are close to the front like we were or stand up against the wall. I'd definitely recommend it. It gets you away from the crowd, gives you a perfect viewing location, and loads you up with tons of delicious desserts. What could be better?

Thanks Tara for your TT and FP reports. I was a bit worried about the possibility of pushing and shoving for kiosks. I think the addition of this whole designing and racing cars sounds like fun, but it pretty much eliminates the single rider option. (do they still have that?) How does the FP work here? Do you go into the preshow area while everyone from the stand by line has to wait or are you all mixed together?
How is the new Fantasyland looking? Did you try Be Our Guest?
Thanks to everyone for photos and trip reports. This place is a refuge, as well as a wonderful source of information.

There was no pre-show - not sure if there is supposed to be one, or we just skipped it in the FP line. We walked in & right to the computers & then onto the ride. There was no wait in the FP line, a 10 min. wait in single rider (yes this was open) & 80 mi. wait for stand by. It was also down for an hour or so in the afternoon. I didn't see if there is a themed queue for standyby, or where they enter the ride, but we walked right on.

We will be at WL in early February. I requested a room overlooking the lobby on an upper floor. We have paid for a woods view bunk bed room. If you have stayed in a room overlooking the lobby, what did you like or dislike? The lobby is so beautiful and we thought it would be nice to walk out of our room and see it right away.

Thanks!

We will be at WL in early February. I requested a room overlooking the lobby on an upper floor. We have paid for a woods view bunk bed room. If you have stayed in a room overlooking the lobby, what did you like or dislike? The lobby is so beautiful and we thought it would be nice to walk out of our room and see it right away.

Thanks!

The first part of this trip report talks about staying in one of the rooms overlooking the lobby.

Sept 2012 Wilderness Lodge Mini Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter