(CLOSED) Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT and BAY LAKE TOWER INFORMATION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the new Mickey pillow! Was there any "Mickey" themed decor in the old design? Fun touch, while still understated. My kids will enjoy them this summer.

So far, it looks like FP+ will be for lunch only at BOG. Start trying for your dinner ADR at 6am on the first morning of your 180+10 and you should be able to get it. September isn't a particularly busy time in the World.

I'm totally ready! Hoping the drama is simply from busy season and I won't get the same going in September. The joy of having little ones is going for lesser crowds......my dialing finger is ready! Now I just hope it lives up to my expectations....hearing such great things......that and I can't wait to see the pool this time. Last time we seriously didn't leave the parks or our room to even LOOK at the pool! ha!

Seriously. Can't wait. How in the heck am I supposed to wait. Oh good idea, I'll get in on the remodel "what the heck is up with that AWFUL fried egg carpet?" discussion. Seriously, that is hideous. But funny in a strange way......

Honestly I am super surprised at myself. I HATE eggs, they gross me waaayyyy out. I'm pretty sure I overdid them as a kid because I used to eat them constantly. Honestly, the new carpets aren't that offensive to me!!! I've never stayed at the CR, and if my BLT request comes in I won't have to for my upcoming trip, so maybe it's because I never saw the old ones? My favorite color is yellow so maybe that helps me see past the egginess? :confused3

Woo, just paid off our april stay at bay lake tower....a whole 4days before my 45day due date :rolleyes1 Now, its time to countdown and pack.

Woo, just paid off our april stay at bay lake tower....a whole 4days before my 45day due date :rolleyes1 Now, its time to countdown and pack.

Your going to love BLT and have a great Birthday ! From another 45 yr old... It's not too bad an age :grouphug:

Please cold one of you knowledgeable CR regulars tell me if there is a microwave and / or toaster available anywhere at CR to heat our own food. Knowing this will help me to plan our GG order. Thanks :)

Love the new Mickey pillow! Was there any "Mickey" themed decor in the old design? Fun touch, while still understated. My kids will enjoy them this summer.
The daybed had HMs on it in between the larger circles.

Honestly I am super surprised at myself. I HATE eggs, they gross me waaayyyy out. I'm pretty sure I overdid them as a kid because I used to eat them constantly. Honestly, the new carpets aren't that offensive to me!!! I've never stayed at the CR, and if my BLT request comes in I won't have to for my upcoming trip, so maybe it's because I never saw the old ones? My favorite color is yellow so maybe that helps me see past the egginess? :confused3
After I showed DH the carpet, he said it didn't really bother him:confused3. Why does it bother me so much:scratchin
Your going to love BLT and have a great Birthday ! From another 45 yr old... It's not too bad an age :grouphug:
I think the OP meant that she is PIF 45 days before her 45-day mark. But, I turned 45 recently and I agree that it's a nice number:thumbsup2

Please cold one of you knowledgeable CR regulars tell me if there is a microwave and / or toaster available anywhere at CR to heat our own food. Knowing this will help me to plan our GG order. Thanks :)
You can request a microwave for your room, but it's not guaranteed and there are microwaves at Contempo Cafe:

contempo-cafe-microwaves.jpg

Welcome! Unless you are accompanied by the DVC owner who rented the points to you, then you're correct that you can't go to the TOTWL. I know that you can see the EWP from the Skybridge, but I thought I read once that they weren't going to allow guests to watch Wishes from the Skybridge - hopefully someone will chime in here.

Hi WDWKOOK, I am not sure that info is correct. We stayed on points that we purchased from a friend of ours so when we checked in and received our key to the world card our card had DVC on it. The person who takes you up to the TOTWL said as long as your card has DVC on it you can go up. My husband and nephew went up a couple of times when we were there and were never questioned.

WDWKOOK I think the OP meant that she is PIF 45 days [I said:
before[/I] her 45-day mark. But, I turned 45 recently and I agree that it's a nice number:thumbsup2 ]

See what happens when you haven't had coffee in the a.m. AND you've been home 3 days from CR and the CL and you just want to go back to WDW ? !:confused3

WDWKOOK said:
You can request a microwave for your room, but it's not guaranteed and there are microwaves at Contempo Cafe:

Thanks for the info that's really helpful. I don't think we will need one in the room, but its useful to know there is one if we need it :)

Any other word on FP+ testing or implementation for CR guests? We leave in 9 (NINE?!?) days and I would LOVE to be selected or allowed to use FP+ for either CS dining or rides/shows/entertainment.

Hi WDWKOOK, I am not sure that info is correct. We stayed on points that we purchased from a friend of ours so when we checked in and received our key to the world card our card had DVC on it. The person who takes you up to the TOTWL said as long as your card has DVC on it you can go up. My husband and nephew went up a couple of times when we were there and were never questioned.

WDWKOOK is right on the rules. Whether or not they enforce it properly is a different story, as is often the case. It should be for DVC members only, but for someone renting I guess it couldn't hurt to try.

WDWKOOK is right on the rules. Whether or not they enforce it properly is a different story, as is often the case. It should be for DVC members only, but for someone renting I guess it couldn't hurt to try.

I think it depends on whether your key to the world card has DVC on it or not, it is shows DVC then you are allowed up.

And that's the part I don't understand. I thought that if you rented points then your KTTW card wouldn't have DVC on it, but as a renter you could go up to the TOTWL with the DVC member who rented the points to you:confused3. Thanks for letting us know that your card did have DVC on it. Is it because you are a DVC owner? This has always been a confusing issue to me. I may have to go and find the TOTWL by-laws:sad2:

See what happens when you haven't had coffee in the a.m. AND you've been home 3 days from CR and the CL and you just want to go back to WDW ? !:confused3
No problem!

Thanks for the info that's really helpful. I don't think we will need one in the room, but its useful to know there is one if we need it :)
You're welcome.

Any other word on FP+ testing or implementation for CR guests? We leave in 9 (NINE?!?) days and I would LOVE to be selected or allowed to use FP+ for either CS dining or rides/shows/entertainment.
Maybe someone who is there now will post about this. MAGIC..itis arrived yesterday and was booked in a Deluxe room and was upgraded to a one bedroom GW suite:thumbsup2

Since the search function is disabled, I can't do a search for DVC/BLT. I am trying to understand when it is worth it to look into renting points or becoming a DVC member? I think I have the two things confused? :confused3 When I have searched previously for information about renting, (you can rent points to stay at BLT?) I have yet to find a clear, concise explanation of how it works. Can anyone help, please? :)

Since the search function is disabled, I can't do a search for DVC/BLT. I am trying to understand when it is worth it to look into renting points or becoming a DVC member? I think I have the two things confused? :confused3 When I have searched previously for information about renting, (you can rent points to stay at BLT?) I have yet to find a clear, concise explanation of how it works. Can anyone help, please? :)
Welcome! I am not a DVC owner so I'm going to leave your question to one of our resident experts. But, until then, you can use Google to search and it will list relevant DISboards threads, etc... You probably already know this, but you don't have to be a DVC owner or rent points to stay in a villa. We book a "cash reservation" and apply our (40% military) discount rate to the booking and receive daily housekeeping.

marybogue said:

I'm not an owner, but I play one during my upcoming vacation. ;)

Here's a very brief, simplified explanation. DVC is Disney's version of a timeshare. You buy "points" to stay at your home resort. However, you can use your points to stay at other DVC resorts (with certain limitations that I won't go into on this thread). So to become a member, you must buy a timeshare from DVC.

An alternative is to rent points from an owner. That can be accomplished by a private transaction (via DisBoards DVC Rent/Trade board) or using a third party to broker the deal (David's Rentals is a sponsor here). However, as a renter you do not have all of the privileges of a Member. Visiting TOTWL is an example. Members and guests physically with the member may visit. Renters may not.

There is tons of information with all of the details on the DVC board. I'd advise you to read the stickies. There is a lot of helpful info on there!

And that's the part I don't understand. I thought that if you rented points then your KTTW card wouldn't have DVC on it, but as a renter you could go up to the TOTWL with the DVC member who rented the points to you:confused3. Thanks for letting us know that your card did have DVC on it. Is it because you are a DVC owner? This has always been a confusing issue to me. I may have to go and find the TOTWL by-laws:sad2:

No we are not DVC owners but bought points from a friend of ours, perhaps if you buy points from a friend and not a DVC company that sells points then your card will have DVC on it. Would be interesting to hear from others that purchased points from friends rather then a rental company if their key to the world card had DVC on it.

I would have to refer you to another thread for better info, but I'll try to sum it up. To be a DVC Member/owner, you are purchasing a time share and will have a home resort - say BLT. You then can book at BLT 11 months out, or one of 7 other WDW DVC resorts, 2 Atlantic ocean resorts, Grand Californian, and Aulani in Hawaii and whatever future ones are built aat 7 months out. You would have to pay an initial cost for a certain amount of annual points, direct thru Disney or resale market, and have 50 years of vacations and annual fess, managing those points. There are other rules about banking/borrowing points and Use Years to learn.

In renting the points, you are renting them for a one time use from a DVC Member/owner and you get that one year of vacation at whatever price you negotiate and no dues or future obligations.

With either route, you will still need to purchase theme park tickets and meals seperately.

My conclusion - if you (1) can afford it and (2) plan to vacation at WDW in one of 8 resorts on property, at least every other year for the next 40 years, then DVC membership is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!