Cinque Terre on your own

I just looked at the port info. on the DCL website and yes, it is a tender port.

How to Get Around
A variety of transportation options exist in La Spezia, many of which will take you within steps of some of the most popular sites in the area.
Tender boats: Tender boats ferry guests from the ship to a promenade approximately 200 yards from downtown La Spezia. The walk to the city's main shopping district takes about 10 minutes.
Taxis: Taxis are available 200 yards from the pier. Prices are generally determined by a meter with additional fees for suitcases, time of day and travel on holidays. A display in the cab lists some standard rates. If you are traveling longer distances, we recommend that you negotiate a price before your journey.
Buses: Most major venues in La Spezia are accessible by foot, but there are 2 major bus lines available. Line "L" runs from the railway station to Lerici in 35 minutes with a bus departing every 15 minutes. Line "P" and "11" run from Piazza Chiodo to Portovenere in 1 hour with a bus departing every 30 minutes. Bus tickets are purchased at newsstands and must be stamped upon boarding.
Train: The La Spezia railway station is a 15-minute walk from the pier. The train provides transportation to the Cinque Terre National Park. Guests can buy train and park tickets at an office inside the main gates of the railway station.

I'll bet it will be hard to even make the 8:20 train, depending on how they allow people to get off. Do they let people on DCL excursions off first or will they let anybody get in line to get off?? I suppose we COULD cheat & grab a taxi to the train station! LOL

We tendered at La Spezia last May. Walked to the train, so much to see on the way and the orange trees smelled delicious! Enjoyed Cinque Terre on our own. One thing to keep in mind if it is raining loads, trails and trains can close. Some of the trails were closed on our day because of the rain. Late afternoon, one of the train tunnels flooded, so some folks were stuck in the furthest most village and had to take a cab to port. Rare, but it can happen.

We tendered at La Spezia last May. Walked to the train, so much to see on the way and the orange trees smelled delicious! Enjoyed Cinque Terre on our own. One thing to keep in mind if it is raining loads, trails and trains can close. Some of the trails were closed on our day because of the rain. Late afternoon, one of the train tunnels flooded, so some folks were stuck in the furthest most village and had to take a cab to port. Rare, but it can happen.

We were thinking of trying to take the train to Pisa first thing then go straight from Pisa to Monterosso for the afternoon. What time did you leave the ship & how long did that process take from debarking until you got to the train station? I'm trying to figure out if we can make an 8:06 or 8:20 train to Pisa?!

We were thinking of trying to take the train to Pisa first thing then go straight from Pisa to Monterosso for the afternoon. What time did you leave the ship & how long did that process take from debarking until you got to the train station? I'm trying to figure out if we can make an 8:06 or 8:20 train to Pisa?!

We didn't rush off the ship. We were after the crowds, and just missed a tender and had to wait for the next one (bad luck/timing on our part). It took under 20 min. to walk to the station and we were taking photos the entire way. You could take a cab if you were in a hurry. It seems as though the tenders themselves were a bit slow, as though they were saving on gas or something.

I enjoyed our time in Cinque Terre so much that I wouldn't have wanted to give up any time to have seen Pisa. Our tablemates went to Pisa and wished they would have gone to Cinque Terre instead.

We didn't rush off the ship. We were after the crowds, and just missed a tender and had to wait for the next one (bad luck/timing on our part). It took under 20 min. to walk to the station and we were taking photos the entire way. You could take a cab if you were in a hurry. It seems as though the tenders themselves were a bit slow, as though they were saving on gas or something.

I enjoyed our time in Cinque Terre so much that I wouldn't have wanted to give up any time to have seen Pisa. Our tablemates went to Pisa and wished they would have gone to Cinque Terre instead.

So do you think the whole process of getting off the boat, tendering in and walking to the train took 30 minutes or more like 45 minutes?? DH wants to do Pisa (just 'cuz it's THERE) and I want to do Cinque Terre (and DS has no opinions but he's heard of the Leaning Tower so he's gonna side with DH I'm sure)!! LOL....so I am just trying to figure out a way to do both if we can!!

So do you think the whole process took 30 minutes or more like 45 minutes?? DH wants to do Pisa (just 'cuz it's THERE) and I want to do Cinque Terre (and DS has no opinions but he's heard of the Leaning Tower so he's gonna side with DH I'm sure)!! LOL....so I am just trying to figure out a way to do both if we can!!

Because we missed the tender (it was there, but we couldn't get on because they were putting up the gate) that added time. Perhaps they weren't running as many tenders, or they had slowed down because they had just finished getting the tours off? You may be able to make much better time.

I don't like to stress, so I avoid it. My kids also thought they wanted to see the leaning tower. They had heard about it through the years and thought taking photos would be fun. I wanted Cinque Terre. Since it was raining, I told the kids I would give up Cinque Terre and take them to Pisa if they wanted. They choose to stay on the ship, so DH and I went to Cinque Terre anyway and braved the rain. Pisa seems to be a stop that people like to check off of their "list". Cinque Terre is an experience and I loved not being rushed. The train/trail ticket is cheap and lasts all day. The pesto pasta and pizza are fantastic and cheap as is the gelato. We snacked our way through the villages, I had gelato twice :lovestruc!! Even the restrooms are an experience (hole in floor, have your own tissue in your purse!).

Good luck making your choices. I can see why you would want to fit in as much as possible. It is tempting to do that and many folks do enjoy seeing as much as possible. I prefer being able to take my time, so less is more for me. Have a great trip :goodvibes

Where did you buy the park ticket, at the train station in La Spezia or at the first town?

Here is the link to the Cinque Terre Ferry :

http://www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/home.asp?lang=eng

Click on schedule & rates at the top

Click on LeSpezia for the departure

Click on Cinque Terre for the destination

When you print it out, you will have the full 2011 schedule ! :thumbsup2
I saw this on another thread and thought it looked helpful for anyone who wants to try the ferrie instead of the train. When you click "schedule & rates", there is a map that shows the ferry run and it helps put into perspective where the five villages are.

jumping on the thread here...

question to anyone who's gone to Cinque Terre... what might be the best way to experience it - on our own - with a 6 year old in tow? we'd probably limit any adventure to 5 hours or less... and prefer to "stroll" rather than "hike" (cause I know if it gets strenuous, my DH will end up having to carry DD6 on his shoulders!!)

any tips??? we'd be happy to just get a relaxed taste of the beauty there...

One big tip I haven't seen mentionned is that when you get to the train station DO NOT stand in a long queue for tickets. We did this and when we got to the booth they told us that to buy the Cinque Terre card you had to go up onto the platform and there was a little booth there. The lady in the booth when we were there spoke English and gave us all the info and a copy of the timetable.

We went to Montorosso first and worked our way back. Because we left it late and had limited time as our youngest was in Flounders it was more of a whistlestop tour but Montorosso and Vernazza were definitely the highlights and we loved the whole area - we KNOW we want to go back for a longer visit.

I have been to Pisa on a previous visit to Italy and yes it was nice to get photos but as mentioned above the tower is the main event there and I would definitely prefer a longer day exploring Cinque Terre over a rushed trip trying to hit Pisa and Cinque Terre in one day.

Have a wonderful time what ever you decide to do.
Mel
x

jumping on the thread here...

question to anyone who's gone to Cinque Terre... what might be the best way to experience it - on our own - with a 6 year old in tow? we'd probably limit any adventure to 5 hours or less... and prefer to "stroll" rather than "hike" (cause I know if it gets strenuous, my DH will end up having to carry DD6 on his shoulders!!)

any tips??? we'd be happy to just get a relaxed taste of the beauty there...

Train! Take the train up to the furthest town and work back. We strolled around each town and sampled some pizza, gelato and other snack items in each place plus of course a little souvenir shopping. Also if your DD likes the beach then the beach is quite pretty in Montorosso.

Mel
x

Train! Take the train up to the furthest town and work back. We strolled around each town and sampled some pizza, gelato and other snack items in each place plus of course a little souvenir shopping. Also if your DD likes the beach then the beach is quite pretty in Montorosso.

Mel
x

thanks Mel -
I was checking out the ferry option too - I wonder if that would be good -- maybe train one way and ferry back??? any thoughts?

http://s4.computernopanic.com/USER_CONTENT/49/pdf/tratte_pdf_eng_7.pdf

One big tip I haven't seen mentionned is that when you get to the train station DO NOT stand in a long queue for tickets. We did this and when we got to the booth they told us that to buy the Cinque Terre card you had to go up onto the platform and there was a little booth there. The lady in the booth when we were there spoke English and gave us all the info and a copy of the timetable.

x

Is it easy to find the booth and is this the combination train and park ticket?

I have read several threads on cruisecritic where people have said that they have not been able to get the park tickets at the train station in La Spezia and I wonder if this is why, they did not know they needed to go to this booth.

I visited Cinque Terre last year. I took a cab to the train station and that saved me enough time that I caught the first train while the folks that I started off walking with had to take the next train. I went to the furthest town and worked my way back. I took a boat between 2 of the towns just to see a different perspective. A couple of the trails were closed. I ended up only hiking the Via Del'Amore (sp).

I love Cinque Terre...reminded me of the Almalfi Coast...just not as commercialized.

Jill in CO

I have found that there are numerous videos of Cinque Terre on YouTube...in these the couple documented a little bit of everything from Monterosso to Vernazza including riding the train, the town, the beach & some of the hiking path.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/cinque-terre-1-monterosso-vernazza-part-1/f35ae9c70315cb6b4ee9f35ae9c70315cb6b4ee9-569437390235?q=videos%20of%20cinque%20terre

Then Part 2 is Riomaggiore to Manarolo to Corniglia:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/cinque-terre-2-riomaggiore-manarolo-corniglia/6b5f0739f24af225a5606b5f0739f24af225a560-677466669828?q=videos%20of%20cinque%20terre

I did Cinque Terre last year as one of Disney's port excursions - which of course was not on my own. I would love to go back and hike it one day like you all talk about, but I absolutely loved the excursion because the boat takes you out to sea and around all 5 towns, They are just extremely incredible to see from the distance out at sea, and I loved it. The downside was we only stopped at two of the towns. But the boat narrated the tour along the way.

I am torn about doing Cinque Terre or Pisa / Lucca.
I'll make it easy for you, choose Pisa/Lucca. The Piazza dei Miracoli is dominated by four great religious edifices: the Duomo (cathedral), the Campanile (the cathedral's free standing bell tower), the Baptistry and the Camposanto. It's only been a few years, that the public has been allowed to walk up, the top of the Leaning Tower. Lucca is a nice walled town and the ancient ramparts date back to the 16th century. I'm not sure of the dining hours, they can be rather odd in Italy, but we love Buca di Sant'Antonio. We have dined there several times. The food is good and the chef very friendly. We had DD rehearsal dinner there and it is the most talked about meal...other than the wedding dinner.

Is it easy to find the booth and is this the combination train and park ticket?

I have read several threads on cruisecritic where people have said that they have not been able to get the park tickets at the train station in La Spezia and I wonder if this is why, they did not know they needed to go to this booth.

The whole area of the towns is considered a national park and the only thing we needed was our Cinque Terre card which included the train travel. We when you go into the station entrance you head right towards the platforms. If I recall correctly we had to go through an underpass ( not sure what you guys call these but underneath the platform and up the stairs on the other side. From where we came out on the platform the little office for the Cinque Terre card was a little way down to the left. If in doubt ask the station employees and they will point you in the right direction.

Mel
x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter