Cinque Terre on your own

:yay: Oh you may be my new best friend!! :rotfl: I need to find a map of this area so I know what order the towns are in. Do most people go to the furthest town & work their way back or do you start at the first & work your way to the last? Since I haven't seen a map yet I don't know which way you mean when you say do Vernazza then Monterosso.

OK, so how often is it too rough for the ferry to run?? I mean is that like 2 or 3 times a week or every day after 2:00 or 3 times a month _________?? It seems I have read about that being a pretty big problem. We're not kikers in the hiking boot sense...it's not THAT kind of hiking is it?? It's like walking a hilly path, right? Something we should do in tennis shoes, not sandals?

Now, about that beach...since it's public are there bathrooms etc? Do you think it's worth trying to go out EARLY to start this adventure so we can have some TIME for the beach? We were thinking about trying to do a beach at Villefranche but are having trouble finding a good beach to go to there (they all look either really small and crowded or really rocky and not really very beach-like). DH wants to be sure we build in some time to chill on a Mediterranean beach somewhere. Should we try to head out by like 8:30 or 9:00 if we want to hit all 5 towns AND allow an hour or two to stop & chill? I am interested in the beach idea but won't want to lug too much stuff with us if we're doing a lot of walking. Hummmm. Maybe that's NOT a good plan. :confused3

Watch...after all my investigating DH will decide he'd rather go to Pisa!:lmao: Now I am just talking out loud to myself! :goodvibes

One can never have too many friends. :) I've seen folks go both ways up and down the coast, but I couldn't say if one way is more popular than the other. As for maps and guides, I have to echo that Rick Steves does a bang up job. They have his books at most libraries too if you just want to read about the area.

I don't have any info on the ferries there, I never took them. Sorry, wish I could help more. The hikes are more like hilly paths. I think I did them in sandals, but I would suggest tennis shoes. The most strenuous is between Vernazza and Monterosso, but it was the hike betwen Vernazza and Cornelia or Cornelia and Manarola that seemed to drag a bit.

As for the beach, I don't recall what we did for restrooms. They have to be around there somewhere. There is a little park there and there are probably some bathrooms there too. It's a nice little beach and you can rent a couple chairs for around 15 euros and not have to worry about packing anything around. You could take the train into Monterosso, hang out for a bit and depending on the day, judge if you feel more like hanging out on the beach or hike. If you find yourself in a hurry, just take the train between the cities. Just a bit of a notice, it is a european beach, so there will be some toplessness. Didn't bother us, but it may bother some folks.

Pisa is nice, but it's kind of a one trick pony. It's one heck of a trick, but beyond the Piazza Dei Miracoli, there's not much there. Either way, you are sure to have a good time.

cheers.

One can never have too many friends. :) I've seen folks go both ways up and down the coast, but I couldn't say if one way is more popular than the other. As for maps and guides, I have to echo that Rick Steves does a bang up job. They have his books at most libraries too if you just want to read about the area.

I don't have any info on the ferries there, I never took them. Sorry, wish I could help more. The hikes are more like hilly paths. I think I did them in sandals, but I would suggest tennis shoes. The most strenuous is between Vernazza and Monterosso, but it was the hike betwen Vernazza and Cornelia or Cornelia and Manarola that seemed to drag a bit.

As for the beach, I don't recall what we did for restrooms. They have to be around there somewhere. There is a little park there and there are probably some bathrooms there too. It's a nice little beach and you can rent a couple chairs for around 15 euros and not have to worry about packing anything around. You could take the train into Monterosso, hang out for a bit and depending on the day, judge if you feel more like hanging out on the beach or hike. If you find yourself in a hurry, just take the train between the cities. Just a bit of a notice, it is a european beach, so there will be some toplessness. Didn't bother us, but it may bother some folks.

Pisa is nice, but it's kind of a one trick pony. It's one heck of a trick, but beyond the Piazza Dei Miracoli, there's not much there. Either way, you are sure to have a good time.

cheers.

Thanks AGAIN! :worship: So would it be too much to try to say go to Pisa in the morning for the 4-4.5 hour DCL excursion then in the afternoon after lunch take the train on our own to Monterosso for a couple of hours? :confused3 I think our port time is 7:30 am to 7:30 pm. Is that too ambitious?! :confused3

So would it be too much to try to say go to Pisa in the morning for the 4-4.5 hour DCL excursion then in the afternoon after lunch take the train on our own to Monterosso for a couple of hours? I think our port time is 7:30 am to 7:30 pm. Is that too ambitious?!
I've visited Italy several times. When I went to Pisa and Cinque Terre last year, I used Rick Steves' Italy guidebook.

If I were to go to Pisa and Cinque Terre on a daytrip, I'd skip the ship's excursion to Pisa, and use the guidebook. RS explains in detail the trains, the stations to use, and travel times between stops, and what not to miss.

I wouldn't bother going back to the ship for lunch. Instead, use the time to explore the Cinque Terre. The towns offer fantastic views and plenty of places to eat.

My favorite town is Vernazza, where we stayed a few nights. Photo. I think it would be a shame to skip Vernazza in order to have lunch on the ship.

Woody

We didn't find it too hard to find the train station at all. When we walked off the ship there were people handing out maps of the town that were very easy to follow. La Spezia itself is a very pretty little town with a great park right in the middle and a lovely walking street with lots of restaurants. The train ride was really nice, cutting through the mountains and going along the coastline. The area really reminded me of the Northern California coast, just beautiful! We went straight to Monterosso and hung out at the beach for a few hours. We rented chairs (very nice ones) and an umbrella and were able to use the restrooms they had. Started to make our way back on train and got off to do the Walk of Love... very easy walk, not hiking at all, beautiful views along the whole way and a little cafe tucked in the cliff halfway through. From there took the train back to La Spezia where we managed to hit right at siesta (we should know better we live in Spain!) so we missed grabbing lunch in town. La Spezia is really nice clean and easy to navigate (especially after Naples!) and I am really glad we did Cinque Terre instead of Pisa.

I've visited Italy several times. When I went to Pisa and Cinque Terre last year, I used Rick Steves' Italy guidebook.

If I were to go to Pisa and Cinque Terre on a daytrip, I'd skip the ship's excursion to Pisa, and use the guidebook. RS explains in detail the trains, the stations to use, and travel times between stops, and what not to miss.

I wouldn't bother going back to the ship for lunch. Instead, use the time to explore the Cinque Terre. The towns offer fantastic views and plenty of places to eat.

My favorite town is Vernazza, where we stayed a few nights. Photo. I think it would be a shame to skip Vernazza in order to have lunch on the ship.

Woody

That photo is gorgeous! So you don't think we'd be overplanning to try to go to Pisa in the morning (skip going UP the tower maybe since we don't know what TIME) and then come back & head to Cinque Terre?! Just plan for a couple of hours on the beach at Montessoro & some lunch in Vernazza or something?! :confused3 Is it the same train from Pisa to Cinque Terre?! ie could we just STAY ON IT from Pisa to Cinque Terre?!

Can anybody tell me about how long the hike is between the two towns?! I watched some videos on YouTube and with the way they were edited it looked like it was pretty far. Is it an hour more or less?!:confused3

Can anybody tell me about how long the hike is between the two towns?! I watched some videos on YouTube and with the way they were edited it looked like it was pretty far. Is it an hour more or less?!:confused3

We spent one night in Manarola a couple of years back, work up before dawn to take the train from Manarola to Monterosso, but the ticket booth at Manarola was not open, and we could not get the ticket machine to take our money. When than hiked in the dark up to the Corniglia station, and grabbed the train to Monterosso. We hiked back down the coast, and I believe it took us about 1.5 to 2 hours between Monterosso and Vernazza. There was a decent amount of elevation change on the hike, but the views were amazing! We than took the train from Vernazza back to Corniglia so we could take the hike back to Manarola in the daylight. We hiked the Via dell’ Amore the night before to see Riomaggiore.

That photo is gorgeous! So you don't think we'd be overplanning to try to go to Pisa in the morning (skip going UP the tower maybe since we don't know what TIME) and then come back & head to Cinque Terre?! Just plan for a couple of hours on the beach at Montessoro & some lunch in Vernazza or something?! :confused3 Is it the same train from Pisa to Cinque Terre?! ie could we just STAY ON IT from Pisa to Cinque Terre?!
You would not be overplanning, unless you also went back to the ship for lunch.

You could take the same train between Pisa and Monterosso. It takes 35 to 60 minutes, depending on whether you take an express or local.

Woody

You would not be overplanning, unless you also went back to the ship for lunch.

You could take the same train between Pisa and Monterosso. It takes 35 to 60 minutes, depending on whether you take an express or local.

Woody

This is great to hear. :goodvibes I want to see both Pisa and some of Cinque Terre as well. I was thinking there was no way we could do both. I have Rick Steves book "snapshot Cinque Terre" and it has some great info in it.

This is great to hear. :goodvibes I want to see both Pisa and some of Cinque Terre as well. I was thinking there was no way we could do both. I have Rick Steves book "snapshot Cinque Terre" and it has some great info in it.
We used Rick Steves' book for both Pisa and Cinque Terre. He offers excellent advice making it possible to do both. I would not attempt it without bringing his book.

Woody

We used Rick Steves' book for both Pisa and Cinque Terre. He offers excellent advice making it possible to do both. I would not attempt it without bringing his book.

Woody

So you recommend his Pisa book as well? I have the ebook version of Cinque Terre on my nook color, which I will be brining anyways.

So you recommend his Pisa book as well? I have the ebook version of Cinque Terre on my nook color, which I will be brining anyways.
I have Rick Steves' Italy (paper version), which has all of Italy, including places one might visit on a cruise, including Pisa, Cinque Terre, Rome, Naples, Pompeii, Sorrento, and Capri.

I'm not sure what's available for an ebook.

Woody

I have Rick Steves' Italy (paper version), which has all of Italy, including places one might visit on a cruise, including Pisa, Cinque Terre, Rome, Naples, Pompeii, Sorrento, and Capri.

I'm not sure what's available for an ebook.

Woody

Most of his books are available in ebook form. I also have his Rome book. I should have just purchased the Italy book to begin with. Now I am wondering if it is better to buy the Florence and Naples book or just get his Italy book.

Most of his books are available in ebook form. I also have his Rome book. I should have just purchased the Italy book to begin with. Now I am wondering if it is better to buy the Florence and Naples book or just get his Italy book.
I find Rick Steves' Italy book more than adequate for a stay in an city or town of, say, three nights or less.

I got his Rome book when we stayed a full week in Rome and wanted more depth.

Woody

:rotfl: I just went to Borders today & sat down with a whole PILE of Rick Steve's books on France, Paris (we're going to Paris before the cruise) and on Italy & Rome! DH gave me a Kindle for Christmas and I was thinking I should just buy whatever other guide books we want on there. I already have a couple of other pocket size books on Paris & Barcelona (with maps) that I plan to bring. But all these books will get HEAVY to pack which was DH's thought on getting me the Kindle. I still like to SEE the books tho before I download them.:goodvibes

ANYWAY, now I have been on the raileurope website trying to figure out this train stuff. Looking at schedules & prices etc. They don't really go more than a couple of months out right now but I figure it's SOMETHING to go by for planning I doubt it would change by THAT much don't ya figure?! I don't know about trying to buy our tix online ahead of time - what if we miss the time, right? We can just wait until we get to La Spezia and buy what we need there, right??? :confused3 How long will it take to walk to the train station from the port? I think our port time is 7:30-7:30 so I am assuming that means we can get off the boat by 7:30, right? There's a train to Pisa at 8:06 am that is $18 pp for a 2nd class reserved seat. It takes 51 minutes & gets to Pisa at 8:57 am. If we miss that one the next train leaves at 8:20 am & takes 1 hr 15 min. & arrives at 9:35 am. It is cheaper - $8 pp for "open seating". How do you get to the tower then from the train station? Taxi? Is it far from the train station??

Then to get to Monterosso there is a direct train from Pisa at 11:44 am that takes 1 hr. 10 min. & is $15 for reserved 2nd class seats. That gets into Monterosso at 12:54 pm. This plan would give us between 2 to 2 hrs & 10 min. for Pisa - is that long enough? And it would get us to Monterosso in time for lunch and would give us 1 or 2 hours for the beach before we head to Vernazza (we'd likely take the train if we feel we're short on time). OH, so now I guess we'd need to buy a different type of train ticket now to get back to La Spezia huh?

OK, so does this plan work or do I still have a loophole or 2 to overcome?! :hyper: Do I just go ahead when we're buying our tix to go to Pisa & buy the one to go from Pisa to Monterosso or would you wait & buy it in Pisa JUST IN CASE so I don't mess up & miss it?! :rotfl: Can you tell I don't get out much?!

Is La Spezia a tender port I think it is and it is about a 20 minute walk to the train station so making a train before 8:00 could be hard?

:rotfl: I just went to Borders today & sat down with a whole PILE of Rick Steve's books on France, Paris (we're going to Paris before the cruise) and on Italy & Rome! DH gave me a Kindle for Christmas and I was thinking I should just buy whatever other guide books we want on there. I already have a couple of other pocket size books on Paris & Barcelona (with maps) that I plan to bring. But all these books will get HEAVY to pack which was DH's thought on getting me the Kindle. I still like to SEE the books tho before I download them.:goodvibes

ANYWAY, now I have been on the raileurope website trying to figure out this train stuff. Looking at schedules & prices etc. They don't really go more than a couple of months out right now but I figure it's SOMETHING to go by for planning I doubt it would change by THAT much don't ya figure?! I don't know about trying to buy our tix online ahead of time - what if we miss the time, right? We can just wait until we get to La Spezia and buy what we need there, right??? :confused3 How long will it take to walk to the train station from the port? I think our port time is 7:30-7:30 so I am assuming that means we can get off the boat by 7:30, right? There's a train to Pisa at 8:06 am that is $18 pp for a 2nd class reserved seat. It takes 51 minutes & gets to Pisa at 8:57 am. If we miss that one the next train leaves at 8:20 am & takes 1 hr 15 min. & arrives at 9:35 am. It is cheaper - $8 pp for "open seating". How do you get to the tower then from the train station? Taxi? Is it far from the train station??

Then to get to Monterosso there is a direct train from Pisa at 11:44 am that takes 1 hr. 10 min. & is $15 for reserved 2nd class seats. That gets into Monterosso at 12:54 pm. This plan would give us between 2 to 2 hrs & 10 min. for Pisa - is that long enough? And it would get us to Monterosso in time for lunch and would give us 1 or 2 hours for the beach before we head to Vernazza (we'd likely take the train if we feel we're short on time). OH, so now I guess we'd need to buy a different type of train ticket now to get back to La Spezia huh?

OK, so does this plan work or do I still have a loophole or 2 to overcome?! :hyper: Do I just go ahead when we're buying our tix to go to Pisa & buy the one to go from Pisa to Monterosso or would you wait & buy it in Pisa JUST IN CASE so I don't mess up & miss it?! :rotfl: Can you tell I don't get out much?!

I have his Paris book on my nook as well as well. As far as books are concerned I will never buy another physical book if it is available in ebook format. (even then I might just wait for it to become available as an ebook)

I am going to wait until we are there to buy train tickets. Like you said, I don't want to get the timing wrong. La Spezia is a tender, I have no idea how long that will take. :confused3

You plan sounds pretty darn good :goodvibes
Your cruise is two weeks before mine so I hope you report back to let us know how this all works out!

I have his Paris book on my nook as well as well. As far as books are concerned I will never buy another physical book if it is available in ebook format. (even then I might just wait for it to become available as an ebook)

I am going to wait until we are there to buy train tickets. Like you said, I don't want to get the timing wrong. La Spezia is a tender, I have no idea how long that will take. :confused3

You plan sounds pretty darn good :goodvibes
Your cruise is two weeks before mine so I hope you report back to let us know how this all works out!

:thumbsup2Happy to be the guinea pig if someone else will chime in & tell me if it looks like I have it right?! :goodvibes

I can't decide if I want the ebook on Paris or the one on France which would cover some of Paris and some of the Riviera. :confused3 We're spending 4 nights is Paris first - but the first night & 2 days we're staying out at DLP. Moving into the city for nights 2, 3 & 4 so we'll have just 2 full days for the city... I have Frommer's Paris Day by Day...but it doesn't go into the same detail about the Eiffel Tower like Rick Steve's guide...he had a LOT on doing the tower. He told you where to get the tix, where to eat, where to pee! :rotfl: Everything!

I can't decide if I want the ebook on Paris or the one on France which would cover some of Paris and some of the Riviera. We're spending 4 nights is Paris first - but the first night & 2 days we're staying out at DLP. Moving into the city for nights 2, 3 & 4 so we'll have just 2 full days for the city... I have Frommer's Paris Day by Day...but it doesn't go into the same detail about the Eiffel Tower like Rick Steve's guide...he had a LOT on doing the tower. He told you where to get the tix, where to eat, where to pee! Everything!
I've been using Rick Steves' guidebooks for over a decade, and would not think of visiting Europe without one.

Glad you had a chance to review R.S.'s guidebooks. He answers questions you didn't even have -- yet. (Such as where to find public restrooms.)

I've been to Paris well over a dozen times. For two years, we had annual passports to Disneyland Paris. For a 3-night stay, R.S. France is more than adequate.

Frommer's Paris Day by Day is good, but does not have the DIY information that R.S. offers.

Woody

I've been using Rick Steves' guidebooks for over a decade, and would not think of visiting Europe without one.

Glad you had a chance to review R.S.'s guidebooks. He answers questions you didn't even have -- yet. (Such as where to find public restrooms.)

I've been to Paris well over a dozen times. For two years, we had annual passports to Disneyland Paris. For a 3-night stay, R.S. France is more than adequate.

Frommer's Paris Day by Day is good, but does not have the DIY information that R.S. offers.

Woody

We went to Paris last year and used the regular Frommers Paris (not the Day by Day). It was really good.
Overall I like Rick Steves and regular Frommers best. We tried Frommers Day by Day for some cities on the Baltic last year; nice maps, but not enough detailed info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter