Christmas - Done Differently

yay for more disney friends :goodvibes
I love your photo of the castle!!!

Thanks! I love carousel horses. So the ice castle and the carousel is one of my favorite pictures. I hope we get there again before the decorations go down so I can try another picture better centered.

Love the AOA tree - I'm usually not a fan of white trees but the color of the ornaments make the tree! You did very well containing yourself with the CM on the monorail. That had to be extremely frustrating.

Almost play time! Anakin ready for his big night? The theater company sounds amazing. It is truely touching what they do so that the actors can participate and have their talents shine.

Castle photos are amazing!!!

I usually don't care for white trees either, but I loved theirs too.

He is sick this morning. Not sure if it's just stage jitters or if he has the flu. He had us up before the roosters crowed with a sick belly. Practice was very long last night.

The theater troupe is awesome. Hopefully tonight they will get enough donations to stay active the rest of this year!

Now we are at Tuesday after Thanksgiving. It's check out day. For breakfast we ate leftovers in the refrigerator. I decided we were going to Epcot to see the storytellers. I told Anakin this would be counted as a field trip. He was thrilled!

Before we left the room, I checked out Kennythepirate's blog to see the times of the story tellers. I wrote them down and stuck that piece of paper in my pocket.

We arrived at China just as the story teller was coming out. Anakin was so excited and the story teller noticed his excitement. Immediately Anakin was drawn into the story. He hung on every word and answered any questions that were thrown his way. This first story about enlightenment was his favorite of the day. When it was time for a photo opportunity he didn't hesitate to get in line.

DSC_0711.jpg

DSC_0695.jpg

DSC_0712.jpg

DSC_0714.jpg

DSC_0716.jpg

There was some Jedi talk, as the Monkey King said he never met a Jedi before.

The next stop was the American Pavillon. We past by Prost! Which is a new holiday refreshment stand.

DSC_0719.jpg

DSC_0720.jpg

Also passed by the popcorn stand, that now is selling Perry snacks and lunch boxes.

DSC_0721.jpg

Stopped for a game of Tic Tac Toe

DSC_0723.jpg

Another stop to watch the Fife and Drum group.

DSC_0725.jpg

Kwazaa was our next storyteller stop.

DSC_0728.jpg

DSC_0726.jpg

DSC_0734.jpg

Again, Anakin was sucked into the story. He participated with such excitement that it fed the few other viewers into it as well. He enjoyed the M&G afterwards, and the story teller commented on what a lovely voice he has when he sang along with her.

DSC_0735.jpg

Inside the American Pavillon we watched the Voices of Liberty sing, then went over to the story teller.

DSC_0740.jpg

DSC_0741.jpg

It was only the three of us and another couple at this story telling. She was very engaging and once again, Anakin was immersed in the story.

DSC_0742.jpg

DSC_0743.jpg

The other couple left and Anakin asked a million and one questions, then got to play the dreidel game with her.

DSC_0746.jpg

DSC_0749.jpg

He really liked Danielle's story and Danielle. But the Monkey King in China was still his favorite. This one was 2nd.

Italy was our next stop. Before the show we watched this act. Anakin was thrilled that he got to throw a ball during the show.

DSC_0754.jpg

DSC_0757.jpg

DSC_0762.jpg

Continued...

Storytellers continued...

Now it was time for the story teller. Once again he was fully immersed into the story, answered any questions asked. He was really enjoying his field trip.

DSC_0766.jpg

DSC_0778.jpg

DSC_0783.jpg

When it was picture time, the storyteller remarked that it was nice to meet a jedi. He answered back that it was his pleasure to meet a witch for the first time.

DSC_0787.jpg

We were hungry. We decided to back track back to the American Pavillon to eat lunch.

I ordered chili cheese fries, dh got a burger, and ds got grilled chicken. For dessert, we went over to the gingerbread house.

DSC_0788.jpg

DSC_0789.jpg

DSC_0791.jpg

DSC_0792.jpg

DSC_0794.jpg

DSC_0796.jpg

It was close to 2pm. People were already in the stand-by line for Neil Patrick Harris narrating the processional.

DSC_0798.jpg

DSC_0800.jpg

Germany was our next storyteller stop. We got there too early, so we started watching the glass blower. Anakin just loved watching and the glass blower explained to him everything he was doing. Anakin's excitement began to draw a crowd. He asked him what colors he thought he should use. Anakin watched as he made "his" ornament. The window quickly filled with spectactators and the glass blower began to take special requests. We didn't buy Anakin's ornament, because it would take time and we "needed" something right now. So Anakin picked out a very pretty Mickey shaped ornament. We had it engraved.

DSC_0805.jpg

DSC_0809.jpg

DSC_0833.jpg

DSC_0815.jpg

DSC_0822.jpg

DSC_0824.jpg

DSC_0832.jpg

Storytelling time.

DSC_0812.jpg

DSC_0813.jpg

DSC_0837.jpg

DSC_0843.jpg

Next up...Norway...Anakin spills the beans, the secret is out.

Hoping your little actor is resting well and will be able for his performance tonight!!!

Great overview of the storytellers. They are fantastic! Enjoyed reading the plaques from each country with their traditions. The gingerbread recipe was a hoot! I can't imagine making something that large.

hope Anakin is feeling better and able to perform tonight!

LOVE all the photos and interaction Anakin got from the storytellers :goodvibes

Hoping your little actor is resting well and will be able for his performance tonight!!!

Great overview of the storytellers. They are fantastic! Enjoyed reading the plaques from each country with their traditions. The gingerbread recipe was a hoot! I can't imagine making something that large.

He was far from well rested at last night's performance, but he did a fantastic job! He was up at 5:30 am with anxiety. His stomach was sick until the early afternoon. Then he was fine.

The traditions are very interesting. What a task it is to make those gingerbread houses. I hope to get a chance to visit the other ones at the resorts. And I love getting the chestnuts roasting on an open fire at the Grand Floridian

I'm here; I'll be back later to catch up.

I've also started mine. Here's the link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3033112

Welcome!

hope Anakin is feeling better and able to perform tonight!

LOVE all the photos and interaction Anakin got from the storytellers :goodvibes

Thanks! The play was a huge success!

All caught up. I've probably forgot half of it, though.

I still can't believe DH forgot the luggage. :lmao::lmao:

I am so jealous that you got to meet up with Tammy and her family; we tried, but just couldn't work it out.

Love all the pictures, but especially the picture with Santa and Mrs. Claus.

It may have taken me a bit of time to get here, but I am here!!!

Coral Reef is always a favorite for us. That new dessert looks amazing! Although, I wasn't sure what the blue thing I was seeing was in that first picture. :rotfl: Glad I got to see it standing upright or I might have been a little less impressed with the look of it. all.

Love the R2 cap!

Looks like your night watching Illuminations was a cold one!

Love the Jack Skelington bag...and am I seeing the correct price? Very nice! My dd's sil is very into Jack and meeting him in the fall was a highlight of the trip.

I am so sorry about the cm and that ramp!!! Good grief!!! Who is she to even question? And an hour and a half to get from parking to MK???? OH!!!!

Love the picture of the castle and the carrousel!

One of my biggest regrets from last year is that we missed all most all the story tellers. I underestimated how much time we would need to tour WS on the day I planned (which was at the end of our trip) so sadly we only got to see a couple. Would you say going earlier in the season affords one more time to see them all? I notice in your pics there are not tons of people. Crowds much less than they are closer to Christmas, right? :scratchin Can you see my brain working? I would love to go back and redo some of the holiday things without being so slowed down by crowds. And is NPH a speaker normally at the beginning of the season? I know we were sad to have missed him last year by just a couple days. And the glass ornaments! I had no idea that they did that. :sad2:

Cant wait to read more!!!

All caught up. I've probably forgot half of it, though.

I still can't believe DH forgot the luggage. :lmao::lmao:

I am so jealous that you got to meet up with Tammy and her family; we tried, but just couldn't work it out.

Love all the pictures, but especially the picture with Santa and Mrs. Claus.

We always forget something, but that's the first time we forgot luggage.

We loved Tammy and her family! I'm sure we will see them on future trips and get the boys together. It worked out perfectly with Amanda's family. Each child had a friend close in age.

Tammy, Sidney and the kids are so fun. We always have to be serious with Anakin and it was a good experience for him to see that you can have fun and laugh at each other good spiritedly.

It may have taken me a bit of time to get here, but I am here!!!

Coral Reef is always a favorite for us. That new dessert looks amazing! Although, I wasn't sure what the blue thing I was seeing was in that first picture. :rotfl: Glad I got to see it standing upright or I might have been a little less impressed with the look of it. all.

Love the R2 cap!

Looks like your night watching Illuminations was a cold one!

Love the Jack Skelington bag...and am I seeing the correct price? Very nice! My dd's sil is very into Jack and meeting him in the fall was a highlight of the trip.

I am so sorry about the cm and that ramp!!! Good grief!!! Who is she to even question? And an hour and a half to get from parking to MK???? OH!!!!

Love the picture of the castle and the carrousel!

One of my biggest regrets from last year is that we missed all most all the story tellers. I underestimated how much time we would need to tour WS on the day I planned (which was at the end of our trip) so sadly we only got to see a couple. Would you say going earlier in the season affords one more time to see them all? I notice in your pics there are not tons of people. Crowds much less than they are closer to Christmas, right? :scratchin Can you see my brain working? I would love to go back and redo some of the holiday things without being so slowed down by crowds. And is NPH a speaker normally at the beginning of the season? I know we were sad to have missed him last year by just a couple days. And the glass ornaments! I had no idea that they did that. :sad2:

Cant wait to read more!!!

Welcome!

The blue thing was some type of sugar decoration, tasted like rock candy.

Yes, that night we saw Illuminations was cold. But it was much warmer the night we were at the MK.

Yes, it was $7.99. I wonder if it was reduced because of the handles? They were all mashed up. I found 2 bags where the handles were ok.

I forgot she got to see Jack Skellington. I can't wait to see your pictures once you start your TR.

When we did the storytellers in the World Showcase, we did not do any attractions. We saw one other storyteller that day, I will post soon. Hoping we can get back another day to see the rest.

As for a time to go, it was very busy after Thanksgiving. But we started with the storytellers as soon as they started that day. I went to kennythepirate's blog and paid close attention to the times of the stories. We do the same with the F&W Festival, weekdays at 11 you can cover so much more territory than going later. The first week in December is a great week. Things were very busy this year. It was the opening of TT and the New Fantasyland. Even so, we did fine because the temps were cooler, making waiting in lines so much easier.

Last year we were too late for NPH. We got there just as they were cutting off for the last show (before the first one even started!) We were told we may or may not get in there for the last show. So we got out of line since it was such a long wait.

I think they invite different crafters for their stands. One year it was a person decorating eggs for Christmas. The eggs were emptied and these were handpainted.

Anakin Spills the Beans, the Secret is Out​

Our last stop of the day was Norway. As before, Anakin was totally immersed into the story. He was sitting criss cross applesauce and his knees were flapping away in excitment. He truely believed the gnome was working his magic on Sigrid, and she had no idea what was going on.

DSC_0847.jpg

DSC_0849.jpg

DSC_0853.jpg

DSC_0857.jpg

It was time to meet them. Anakin let the cat out of the bag and told Sigrid that the gnome did those things. Here are the pictures as it unfolded. He got up there and told the gnome that he was going to tell Segrid what happened.

DSC_0871.jpg

DSC_0872.jpg

DSC_0873.jpg

DSC_0874.jpg

DSC_0875.jpg

He totally tattled and spilled the beans. They totally played into his belief. It was very difficult to steady the camera because he was just so serious about ratting the gnome out and the gnome was trying to stop him, while Sigrid bated him. This was my favorite storytelling. As I type about it, I'm still smirking.

DSC_0876.jpg

DSC_0877.jpg

love the photos of Anakine spilling the beans! you can just tell from his happy face he was enjoying it!

Norway was great!!! Love the last photo! Anakin is a trip!

Great update, Tink. Love the pictures of Anakin. One thing we didn't get to do much of us was see the Storytellers. :sad1:

love the photos of Anakine spilling the beans! you can just tell from his happy face he was enjoying it!

Thanks, he was having a blast! I had tears in my eyes from laughing.

Norway was great!!! Love the last photo! Anakin is a trip!

Thanks. There is never a dull moment in his presence. We never know what he is going to do next. :rotfl2::confused3

Great update, Tink. Love the pictures of Anakin. One thing we didn't get to do much of us was see the Storytellers. :sad1:

Thanks! We haven't done the storytellers in years. I'm so glad we took time to do them. We still have a bunch to go though. We went to see the Hobbit last night instead of finishing them. The Hobbit was a great movie, but the ending REALLY leaves you hanging.

In November, we did the Osborne Lights. I don't think I posted pictures from that night. We arrived at DHS with enough time to see B&B, grab a quick bite to eat and see Lightning McQueen. We were told the lights would probably start around 6:30. We got there early, and ran into the parents of another special needs actor from Anakin's group. Their son was at the MK while they were checking out the lights.

The lights!

How many hidden Mickey's can you find? This was what made the lights the most enjoyable for Anakin. Everytime he spotted one, he had me take a picture of it. I know we missed a bunch of them.

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

This part of the lights, he hated. The arch and the canopy were way to bright. He screamed. Sun glasses helped immensely. But at this point we were sandwiched between people and there was no escaping except following the people in front of us. He calmed down with the sunglasses and hat.

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

Continued...

Continued...

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

The streets were very busy by the time we left

DSC_0140.jpg

The total time it took us to get through it, being there before it started was 10 minutes. I'm sure we missed alot, Anakin is in no hurry to get back there. If we head back to DHS before Christmas, DH and I will have to split up and see them separately. They are beautiful and the number of lights in mind boggling. Definately a must-do if you have never seen them before.

We passed this car in the parking lot as we headed to ours.

DSC_0141.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!!! can't wait to see them next year!
sorry Anakin had issues with the brighter lights, great he is working through them more and more :thumbsup2

hmm I wonder how much their electric bill goes up.

BEAUTIFUL!!! can't wait to see them next year!
sorry Anakin had issues with the brighter lights, great he is working through them more and more :thumbsup2

hmm I wonder how much their electric bill goes up.

Doesn't Disney have their own power plant? or is that rumor?

When he had his 48 hour VEEG, he showed no signs of seizures from strobe lights. This was very good, because on past EEGs he had seizures every time they brought out the strobe light. I think knowing that the blinking lights won't harm him anymore helps.

Last night was a bad night for seizures. He had some clusters that only lasted seconds, but choked him. It was scary and dh and I got little sleep as we had to keep turning him on his side.

Wow you got a lot of great pictures from the Osborne Lights! And that little car in the parking lot is so cute :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter