Christmas Bonus

willowsnn3

DIS Veteran
Feeling a little like Clark Griswold this morning. UPDATE: Check is in the bank! :santa:
For years we always got our bonus from work around Dec. 18th. Last 3 years tho it was Dec. 23rd. So I expectantly jump out of bed this morning to check my bank account......nope......not there......sigh.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, maybe tomorrow, lol. Or not at all, who knows.
Funny tho with the extra workload from being so short staffed the past few months, I have been telling myself, stay calm, be a good worker bee, remember that Christmas bonus..:D
So, with the phrase everyone loves: It is what it is.
Merry Christmas all my disboard buddies!

Last edited:
I have never received a Christmas bonus in my life. First company gave a gift (usually bad), second and third companies had a Christmas party (second company parties were fun, third horrible). Still at third company and nothing for Christmas.

Best part, third company has this stupid "tradition" of bosses and workers getting each other gifts. When I managed a team I would get them all a $10 gift card and most of them would donate $5 towards a gift card for me. In July I moved to a training role. I donated $10 for my bosses gift, and then asked if I wanted to donate to a gift for her boss (my bosses boss). I did not feel comfortable saying no, so I gave another $10.

I received a $5 gift card from boss, even though the gift card we gave her divided by the number of people mentioned in the email with the gift card clearly showed we all donated $10.

I received a cake pop and a fancy cookie in the mail from bosses boss. Probably did cost her close to $10 with postage.

I know I could have declined, but being new to the team did not feel comfortable. I do know one person did decline to donate to boss' gift, and it was very obvious who it was.

The fact that I no longer have to manage people is worth the extra $5 lost in this process, but we are co-workers. I like them, but we are not friends. Not sure why this tradition started and I wish it would just end. Ok rant over.

We get Christmas gifts from work (things like jackets, travel mugs, hoodies, etc. with the company logo), but they are delayed this year and we won't get them until January.
Our yearly bonuses are based on how well the company did during the year and we usually see that in March or thereabouts. This will be the first year since I've worked here that we won't get the full bonus.

We received a 4% Christmas bonus this year, but we were told December 1 that it would go into our accounts December 9. There's such thing as a "nice surprise" but also consideration for employees being able to plan on it.

I have two employees -- As a boss, I routinely give them Amazon gift cards - this year, I added cookies I'd made. We're still working remotely, so I mailed them like last year. I don't expect anything in return, but just received a gift from one of them in the mail. I've tried to tell them not to, though. I'd learned you gift down, not gift up. I've never given a boss a gift.

The job my husband used to have had no Christmas bonus, no type of bonus through the year at all and no raises for the last 6 to 7 years he worked there. His new job doesn't have Christmas bonuses either but they did send out Honeysuckle Turkeys to everyone. And, at least at his new job they give other bonuses and raises.

I have never had a job that gave a Christmas bonus.
Yep, I can't miss what I've never had.
Best part, third company has this stupid "tradition" of bosses and workers getting each other gifts. When I managed a team I would get them all a $10 gift card and most of them would donate $5 towards a gift card for me. In July I moved to a training role. I donated $10 for my bosses gift, and then asked if I wanted to donate to a gift for her boss (my bosses boss). I did not feel comfortable saying no, so I gave another $10.
This is the kind of thing I won't miss when I retire in a few months.

Public school employee. No bonus for me. The principal and assistant principal gave each staff member a $5 Starbuck's gift card. A local church brings treats and small gifts to every staff member in the district once a month. This month, it was a plastic commuter mug filled with candy. In the spring, the district usually gives us some type of gift such as an umbrella, notebook, lunch tote, portable phone charger, etc. Last year, it was a strange solar-powered lantern that didn't come with instructions and no one could figure out how to use. Of course, all of these things have the district logo on them. DS23 is a tour guide at a local attraction. He got a $100 Amazon gift card from the owners.

I have worked for many companies that have a profit sharing plan but the pay out is in March/April.

I hope you don't end up with the jelly of the month club!
Mine is paid on my anniversary date, which is in June. It would be lovely if it paid out at Christmas though. I remember as a child how happy my Dad was bringing that generous cheque home to my Mom in early December. :goodvibes

The past two years my company has not hosted any festive events due to Covid, so we’ve all been given $250 in various gift cards in lieu. We got them a week or so ago; my boss presented me with mine and I presented my staff with theirs.
That just seems wrong. Employees shouldn’t be obligated to buy a gift for the boss.
I agree. It is not a thing at our company at all. This year I did get a gift (and quite a lovely one too) from one of my newest staff members. Interestingly, he’s a guy from another cultural background and faith tradition who himself doesn’t even celebrate Christmas. I’m struggling a little with what to do. I’m not typically a person who runs out after the fact and buys for anybody who randomly gives me something but I will do a little research on the significance of gifts in his culture and if it seems appropriate, I’ll do something small after the holidays. :confused3

It is very common for various levels of management to receive all kinds of gifts from our trades and vendors. I find it a little awkward actually and anything that comes my way I try to pass along to or share with my staff if possible.

My DH co-owns a business with someone we've known for more than a decade. This year, they gave the employees a box from Omaha Steaks and assorted company swag. I think this year they gave Yeti cups with the company logo on them. Yesterday, we went to this really cool outdoor restaurant owned by a locally famous chef for our company Christmas lunch and an open bar. Afterward, my DH and some of the employees went to a local pool hall to hang out while I went home and got the house ready for them to come over for drinks. His employees are really nice so I was happy to have them over. Manoj and his partner told them not to come to work until 1 pm today so they could recover from their hangovers. They finished a major project yesterday so they didn't have as much to do.

I'm pretty sure they also gave out a holiday bonus but I'm not sure what metrics they used this year to figure out the amounts.

My DH and his partner believe that happy employees are productive employees who stick around. They recently got some game tables for the shop for the employees to enjoy and they will randomly throw Friday afternoon parties with beer, food, and one of the employees serving as DJ. He works as a DJ during the weekend so he has all of the equipment. Another employee grills the most amazing fajitas so they're talking about having a swim party this summer for the employees over at our house. The employee who makes fajitas offer to grill some at our outdoor kitchen.

No bonus for the first time in 42 years now that I am retired. Never worked for a company that didn't give a Christmas bonus. The bonus amount was always determined by how much income the company had to get rid of to lower their tax liability. So not totally a nice thing to do for their employees, rather a case of if they have a choice of paying it in taxes or giving to to employees, they would rather give it to the employees.

Almost every year I do get a nice bonus, but it’s paid in March, based on many factors from the prior year.

i’ve never given a boss a gift, but I do give “my” four employees a gift card every Christmas, usually $50, to places like Target or a local supermarket. I think a few others in my position do the same.

I’d happily accept enrollment in the Jelly of the Month Club. Who doesn’t like jelly???

That just seems wrong. Employees shouldn’t be obligated to buy a gift for the boss.

I have always gotten my boss a gift- at my one job we would all chip in 20.00 and there were about 30 of us so we would get him something around 600.00 each christmas.

Yeah never have gotten a Christmas bonus, we have a bonus plan but it is 5 percent of our salary and it is pro rated depending on company over/under performance

If it makes you feel better I'm owed money (more than a month's base salary) that simply hasn't been released from treasury because of the holidays I guess so far its at least 3 days late...and I was counting on it for Immediate use.

I have always gotten my boss a gift- at my one job we would all chip in 20.00 and there were about 30 of us so we would get him something around 600.00 each christmas.
Choosing to is much different than being obligated to.
Pre COVID we had birthday luncheons for everyone in the department. We’d all chip in $10 and the birthday person who get the cash. It always felt odd to me to give my bosses cash when they made 2-4 times what I do. After the first year I kept the cash I got and “recycle” it for the others. I just keep an envelope with the cash in my desk drawer.

've tried to tell them not to, though. I'd learned you gift down, not gift up.
I've heard this a lot the past few years, but when I worked in corporate - 80s - 00s, it was common practice for most employees to give their bosses a gift. I did it every year. And nice gifts too - nothing cheap, as most felt it was an employee's image on the line re: the type of gift chosen and something cheap would "insult" your boss. (man...I hated the '80s/90s work culture!)

I'm self employed, now. Maybe times have changed? Or it was just my region of the country?

Another teacher here, so no bonus for me. Our admin team did give us each a gift bag with a book, cup, candy and scratch off lottery ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter