Christmas at Aulani?

Madhattermad

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone,

Totally new to Aulani here but today on some apparent outer body experience, I 'accidently' booked a 1-bedroom villa for Christmas 2023!

Has anyone spent Christmas in the resort? I have booked a week over Christmas day but leaving before New Year. It will be myself, my hubby and my 5 year old. Grateful for views you might have as well as any hints and tips on dining, excursions etc?

...will it feel Christmassy (weather aside)?

Best

K.

It is christmasy, beautiful decorations, Santa , christmas cookie, generally delightful. Bit, very busy. Obviously it is not home, so if flexible in how you are looking at things it can be wonderful. Just think, Christmas morning in the Lazy River.

It is christmasy, beautiful decorations, Santa , christmas cookie, generally delightful. Bit, very busy. Obviously it is not home, so if flexible in how you are looking at things it can be wonderful. Just think, Christmas morning in the Lazy River.
Thank you, that sounds wonderful! We wouldn’t be home in any case, we are currently living in the Philippines and will be ‘home’ during summer so wherever we see it out would be wherever we decide to make a home away from home! Aulani looks like the perfect place to do that.

We were there over Christmas 2019. It was nice and definitely felt Christmassy. A Hawaiian Christmas is great.

That said on the off chance you book the luau for Christmas Eve or Day (no idea the dates for this year) get a back up plan. Our Luau was cancelled due to weather and we were really stuck!

Hi Everyone,

Totally new to Aulani here but today on some apparent outer body experience, I 'accidently' booked a 1-bedroom villa for Christmas 2023!

Has anyone spent Christmas in the resort? I have booked a week over Christmas day but leaving before New Year. It will be myself, my hubby and my 5 year old. Grateful for views you might have as well as any hints and tips on dining, excursions etc?

Best

K.
I’ve spent Christmas and New Year’s in Hawaii for the past two years. As OP have said, Aulani will be very crowded so you will need to pack your patience. The weather during this time tends to be warm, sunny/overcast and rainy. Not every day, but I remember both times I’ve done Oahu during this time it has rained and been very windy at times which will cause events to be canceled. Definitely make dinner reservations online as far in advance as the restaurant allows. Many things sell out well before December. Same with any excursions you want to do. If you want to do a traditional Christmas dinner, research your options and call the restaurant for details. Several restaurants only offer a prix fixe menu for the holidays.

December starts whale watching season, so that may be an activity you want to do. Oahu also has the Honolulu City Lights Display which is open as long as the winds aren’t too high. With car rental prices as crazy as they are, definitely book your car as soon as possible—if you plan on renting one.

Other than the iffy weather, I love doing the holidays in Oahu. Prior planning is necessary to ensure you are able to do everything on your list.

We’re going this year the week before Christmas through the 23rd this year! We’ve had HH at Olelo room pre-kiddo but this will be our first official stay. I Can’t wait!!! Just wish auntys still accepted 3YOs ;/

I’d love to see some local Xmas light displays in neighborhoods… so if anyone knows of websites or shared google maps for local house lights, please share! Any past winners of the Great Christmas Light Fight? :)

Hi Everyone,

Best

K.
Aloha from Honolulu! Being a local, I hope that I can give you some valuable insight into your upcoming trip albeit a year away! Hopefully, it'll get here soon enough! After just wrapping up our 3rd staycation at Aulani (1st- After Xmas, 2nd- 4th of July, 3rd- This past Monday), it was more about getting our keiki (children: 4yrs, 1yr) to have another great time during the Fall Break! We have 2 more reservations booked during NYE and then again, 4th of July 23 so we can take advantage of the Fireworks (hopefully they have them) instead of burning our money buying our own and celebrating with family, which is a long-standing Hawaiian style tradition. Anyhow, to answer your questions, Christmas in the resort is beautiful as it can be in a tropical climate and property. There are the Christmas decor, most characters would have the Santa hats if I recall correctly, but yes, I do know there are tons of Christmas trees that are decorated along with lighting. The weather will be cooler for "Hawaii standards" meaning mid-70's and possibly rainy and windy. That is cold for us locals but I'm sure to our mainland `ohana, it's a walk in the park. Even if the sun is out, the temperature will rarely get above 80 but again, being on the west side of the Island, rain is scarce but during the winter months, it does come around more often. Last year the wind swirled around the water playground area just how the property opens up to the winds and it all depends on where your chairs are located, it can be a long and gusty time at the pool, but again, for you guys it'll be nothing to worry about. It is more crowded during this time as it is DVC peak season. Not as nuts as 4th of July, but with the sun coming up later, you don't need to reserve your beach chairs as early as those summer months with the sun coming up around 530 or so... During this time, sun will be rolling up around 7ish so around 7:30 am or so, you should be making your way down to reserve your seating area. On your first morning, I'd go earlier just to play it safe!. Other than that, I know it'll be a beautiful trip for you! A 5-year old just needs to play in the pool or on the beach with some beach toys. He'll be able to make some friends in the water park playground as my son did these past 2 stays and it'll be memorable to watch him go nuts! Hopefully, you're not one of those parents that are too overprotective but just watching and making sure your keiki is playing nicely is all any parent can ask for! One kid told me that my son cut in front of him but next thing you know, they're playing together and waiting for each other over the next 20 minutes. =) To be young!

Have a great trip and if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask! Lastly, hopefully your room is of adequate size for you to enjoy as that is probably the next most important thing!

Aloha,

That said on the off chance you book the luau for Christmas Eve or Day (no idea the dates for this year) get a back up plan. Our Luau was cancelled due to weather and we were really stuck!
You mean they didn’t move the dining portion (obviously can’t move the whole show) into sone convention space somewhere? That’s terrible. I’d expect Disney to know they can’t leave people out in the cold (so to speak) like that one a day when advance reservations are required everywhere else. Sorry to hear that happened. Hope they did something to make that right.

How is the weather in Dec? We were thinking about going as we usually go
spring or summer. My kids like to swim and hang out at the beach all the time.
Will it be too cool?

You mean they didn’t move the dining portion (obviously can’t move the whole show) into sone convention space somewhere? That’s terrible. I’d expect Disney to know they can’t leave people out in the cold (so to speak) like that one a day when advance reservations are required everywhere else. Sorry to hear that happened. Hope they did something to make that right.
Yeah, I wasn’t on this message board in 2019 - but I assume this was mentioned then. And yes they eventually moved you to their convention room (with no Luau show entertainment)

It was very expensive for the experience you received. If I could have found anything else local I would have done that. An employee at check in literally warned us - which was super odd (but he was 💯 right).

So definitely come up with something as a plan B for an important day like Christmas Eve or Christmas so you are not stuck.

How is the weather in Dec? We were thinking about going as we usually go
spring or summer. My kids like to swim and hang out at the beach all the time.
Will it be too cool?
Last Dec. when we went it was mid-70’s and windy and rainy. But it’s just the typical weather in Dec. A little cooler for us locals but for our Mainland guests, it’s a walk in the park. We’ll be there again on the 30th. Hoping it stays beautiful!

Headed to Aulani this Christmas as well. Surprised to learn about the weather but good to know. Thanks everyone for sharing.

Hi Everyone,

Best

K.
We have spent Christmas her and the only downside is the price of dinner. It was well over $100 per person. We made our own Christmas dinner. The decorations are beautiful and it's a lovely place to spend Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter