Christmas 2008 Mischief Elf-capades

I shared this thread with my sister back in November and was glad when she decided to do this with her children. :rolleyes1 Well, this week, I went to their home while everyone was a work, school, and sitters and had the two elves pulling and pushing a large gift sack with a cocoa maker, cocoa mix, and a bag of marshmallows in it. I tore a small hole in the bottom of the gift bag and Marshmallow bag and left a trail of marshmallows from the door to where they were left. Half way to their spot, I staged a tea party for a break.

BIL and kids arrived home and were so excited! He called his wife and said how much the kids loved the surprise. She was so confused. She had to work late and so had some time to think about it. She became convinced that her hubby did it. She finally called me the next day to ask if I knew anything about it. :confused3 She knew I was not feeling well and so she figured I could not do it. After a few minutes, I finally cracked. :wizard: She was so excited that everyone was surprised. She even said that for about 30 seconds, she started to wonder if they really had magic. She said that her son had started to not believe, but that after seeing that mom and dad were genuinely surprised, he believes now. :woohoo:

I am so sad to see our elf head home tonight. The kids had such a blast seeing what he would do next. He'll definately be back next year, and maybe with a friend. Merry Christmas everyone! :santa:

I agree...we are also sad to see our elf go tonight. Everyone had a lot of fun and it has made our first Christmas (and the whole holiday season) away all of our families (DH & mine) a little less sad. Murry will definetly be back next year, as his elf assistant will start collecting goodies (and maybe a new elf friend :rolleyes1 -if one can be found) on Friday.

I think Murry might send a letter or two during the year and might make a one night visit in July/August just as a reminder that he is always keeping an eye on them. :laughing: :lovestruc

Hi Ladies!
Just wanted to thank you for suggesting and sharing your experiences with your elf's.

Our elf Jasper arrived last Thursday. They were far to behind this year for him to arrive any earlier:) I didn’t think my older kids would like it because they don't really believe in Santa, but I thought I would give it a try. ALL of my kids LOVE Jasper. He has made some mischief and left some little gifts. It is always exciting for the kids to wake up and see what he has done overnight. Even my oldest DD who is 11 was talking about him at her cheerleading practice. After practice two of the girls came up to me and asked if we really had a naughty elf? They wanted to know if he really came to life or if it was me (they promised they would not tell Leanne the truth). I told them he was real, he was magical just like Santa. It was so cute, they ran to their mom's telling them about our elf and asking for one next Christmas.

I think Jasper will come earlier next year. He will also be better planned out. I like the idea of a journal. I have just been writing his letters on Christmas stationary. He really likes the digital camera and takes lots of pictures of himself at night.

My favorite thing Jasper did was; he took 4 toys our of my "gift closet" and suggested we take them to the fire station to donate for needy children. We took the toys and the kids talked to the firemen about children in need and also about Jasper our elf. The firemen were very sweet with the kids and listens to all of their elf stories. One of them told my kids he was going to write Santa and ask for an elf for his children next year.

Thank you again for helping many people start this wonderful Christmas tradition. I think I will keep this up each year. Even when my kids figure it all out :rolleyes1 My DS 9 asked if Jasper would still come when he is in college. I think he will!

I just wanted to say that our elf Jingles was one of the best things we have ever done! I was skeptical at first b/c dd is 9 and ds7 (and more of a realist than dd), but they totally bought it all and were sooo into it! DD would wake up at 5:30 every morning to see what Jingles had gotten in to that night! She cried Christmas Eve night when she went to bed and set him by the milk and cookies for Santa.
Thanks for the ideas! Both kids wrote letters to Santa asking for Jingles back again next year- and he definitely will be back! He brought so much magic to our house...

I also would like to thank everyone who shared their ideas about their elves. This was the first year Jem and Scout came to us, and we had a blast. My DS5 and DD3 would get up in the morning and the first thing they would do was head downstairs to see what the elves had done during the night. As many intricate set-ups as I did, I think their favorite was when the elves were hiding in the freezer! (Because I had been up late the night before and was too exhausted to do anything!) :-)

Seeing the elves go was bittersweet. I listened to my DD3 on Christmas eve talking to her elf in bed, telling her she would be okay and maybe she'd see us next year. I almost cried!

The only thing I will change next year is this: Jem and Scout will not require the "magic sprinkles" in order to come alive at night. (These were from elfmagic.com) Those dang paper "snowflakes" are all over my house and they're impossible to clean up! Even with the vacuum! :-)

Thanks again, everyone, for bringing such a wonderful new tradition to our home. I can't wait for my kids to read To Kill A Mockingbird when they are in high school, and come to the realization that their elves were named for the kids in that book! :-)

Merry Christmas!

The only thing I will change next year is this: Jem and Scout will not require the "magic sprinkles" in order to come alive at night. (These were from elfmagic.com) Those dang paper "snowflakes" are all over my house and they're impossible to clean up! Even with the vacuum! :-)

We bought an AnnaLee elf, so we had to come up with our own magic dust. I used 'magic snow' - the stuff you add water to and it fluffs up like snow. But, I think next year I'll just use an odor-free powder laundry detergent. The letter from Santa said to use a very small amount- so we just used a 'pinch'- literally a pinch- on the top of his head at night. We had no messes at all! Dh is OCD about the house, so it worked out well!

i made a bage of magic snow my bertie - it had bits from hole punch in it and some of the polystyrene beanbag balls in it. it was all sealed with sellotape and had a couple of snowflake stickers on the outside.

this had to be put into berties stocking to remind him of him and make him come alive at night. also meant i didnt have to pick it up every day!

Our elves returned on Dec. 1 and my kids were so excited. We lead up to their visit with a letter from Santa saying the elves will be coming soon and a letter from the elves saying they are getting their things together to make the trip to our house. My kids are 7 and 4 and love their elves. Their names are Frosty Snowflake and Twinkle Berry and they get into a lot of mischief.

Our elf, Pepper Minstix, arrived on Dec 13 and I mostly used ideas that I found here or other boards. We are sad to see him leave tonight as well, but I know he'll return next year. I like the idea of a couple letters throughout the year and maybe an AWOL visit this summer LOL

Chip came to visit for the first time, last year and we had a blast. we have new baby this year so it will be really fun! My kids are 6, 4, 2, and 1. They're all adopted. Chip did lots of fun things like gave us tickets to festive events in our area and brought goodies for everyone, even the dogs, and caused a little trouble. This year is much more planned and more organized so I'm really looking forward to it.

He comes on "Black Friday" every year and sets up the Christmas Tree and delivers something special, last year it was specialized stockings, snow globes, and snowmen figurines for each human family member.

'Tis the season everyone!! I look forward to sharing and hearing many of the elf antics of 2010!

We find him sleeping on the milk carton after he puts food coloring into it to turn it green!

He "tries on" my bra's!

He's found sleeping in the dog food bowl

He's found in somebody's coat sleeve

He's found wearing my high heels

So many cute ideas out here!

1) Spill coca on the kitchen counter, and make little tracks or spell your Elf's Name in it. Place a Coca mug near by.

2) Get some Cotton balls and spread them around the kitchen table and place your Elf near by, He had a snow ball fight with the dog.

3) Take Little Mini Marshmellows and put them in your shoes so when you leave in the morning you find them.

4) Take some Holiday Bows and stick them on anything (Doors, Chairs, Cupboards, Walls)

5) You can buy bath tub crayons or use shaving cream or lip stick and write something on the bathroom sink
(like: ho, ho, ho! or draw a raindeer, or a snow man)

6) Pull out all your kids race cars and trucks and put them in a spot and set your Elf on them, He must have been racing around.

7) Use wrapping paper and wrap a door in your house like a present.

8) Put your Elf in a coffee cup in the cupboard or in the fridge getting a snack.

9) Have a bowl of candy on the counter and wake up to a whole bunch of wrapers and no candy left.

10) Wake up to find Candy Canes all over the chairs and handles to the fridge and cupboard doors.

11) Wake up to everyone in the houses toe nails painted red & green.

12) The Couch Cutions are in disarey, the Elf was jumping on the couch last night.

13) Find Christmas coloring pages all over the table with the crayons out.

14) Popcorn on the couch every where and cristmas movies on with your elf holding the remote.

15) Buy fake snow and make a trail down the hall way and place your Elf on a sled.

16) Put some sweetish fish in the toilet and (or cherioes or something) and make a rod out of popcicle stick and yarn and set him on the back of the toilet fishing.

17) Place some feathers from your pillow and place your Elf near the pillow. He had a pillow fight.

18) Take some Extra Tinsel Garland and place it around your child while sleeping and tell them the Elf must have been decorating.

19) Bring in or Put up your christmas tree while your child is sleeping.

20) Buy Red & Green Spinkels and add them into your pancake mix, or add them on your muffin, or just mic them around on your

counter.

21) Use Window Chalk and allow your Elf to decorate your windows and wake up to a holiday display.

22) Make a Ginger Bread looking house out of gram crakers and candy and leave it on the table to allow your child find a house built over night. (They also make cookie tree kits too)

23) Hang Ornament Balls from the celing with ribbon and tape.

24) Have your Elf decorate your pets cage or crate with any holiday decorations you can find.

25) They have Pancake Holiday Shape cut outs you can cut your childs pancakes in christmas shapes and said thats how they were when you put them in the pan.

26) In your childs cereal box you can put a little treat bag with a pencil, eraser, tattoos, ect... So when they pour there own cereal they find a surprise.

27) Buy one of thoes Raindeer Car kits and wake up to take your kids to school and find a nose and antlers on the car.

28) Buy Raindeer antlers or a Santa hat and place it on your child carefully while they sleep and wake up with the outfit on.

29) Turn your Computer on and start to Type your report to Santa and wake up finding your Elf sitting at the comp.

30) IF you don't have pets you can take a trail of marshmellows and lead them out side the house and have a snowman made, or use food color and color the snow red & green.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter