China Trip report - Adults only May 2018

calypso726

Escaping reality one Disney vacation at a time
Hi everyone! We are on our way to our next big ABD. Cast of characters includes DH and I along with our friends @DizDragonfly and her DH. They are already in Hong Kong enjoying their HKDL pre trip. We are arriving today, a day early, but have been spending most of our pre-trip on a plane. While that sounds awful, it’s been fun and I did it on purpose.

Some of you may recall that I discovered travel hacking as a means to try and afford our first AbD to Scotland back in 2013. That is still my favorite trip. Well, the means to an end became a hobby and lifestyle change. So, this trip, DH and I decided to splurge and see what it’s like to fly in a double bed in the sky in Singapore Suites. Some months after booking this flight the airline announced they would be adding new A380 planes to the fleet. As luck would have it, we get to experience their classic suite and the new one.

We flew from FLL to JFK in order to catch the Singapore flight with the cool suites. There we waited for our flight at the Virgin Atlantic Sky Club. I had a nice massage in the lounge and schooled DH shooting pool. I can’t believe the lounge had a pool table.

7BFE6DA3-D3AD-4FB8-866C-CFB81AEE7215.jpeg

18F89B9B-BCC9-4AAE-93C6-368B1F19E035.jpeg

91A354A3-4756-49D2-95A1-8EA76080844E.jpeg

CABC0603-3828-4FF5-9F26-FB6CC1B12A54.jpeg

We booked the cook 24 hour before the flight. I enjoyed a few glasses of Dom Perignon, caviar, chilled vodka (didn’t care for that too much) and a wonderful Lobster Thermidor, followed by an elderflower parfait.

1072275A-65F5-49BB-80A2-43BF884101A1.jpeg

4C89BDB0-6340-4EEB-A5FB-1D51BF197D66.jpeg

Our flight was from JFK-FRA and we waited in the Lufthansa lounge while the plane refueled. I didn’t get pics of the lounge as I was barely coherent at that moment. Next flight, same plane is from FRA-SIN where we connect on another plane to HKG. The Singapore airlines service and staff are out of hand amazing!!! Wow! Just wow! Each and every time you use the facilities for a biological break they come in and clean up and fold the toilet paper fronts into triangles. Every. Single. Time. We were given a Lalique amenity kit and Lalique pajamas too. Now, we are at the Singapore lounge in the private room waiting for our next flight. We had a Dim Sum breakfast, which was delicious!

519586E9-579C-408B-8BBB-B3FEE94FAAE5.jpeg

More later!

Last edited:
Wowzers!! What an amazing way to fly! I need to learn more about this travel hacking thing. And to think we were proud of ourselves for each getting a Chase Sapphire Reserve. Ha, ha!

Looking forward to your China trip report!

What an amazing flight! That meal! Enjoy HK. Can’t wait to hear about it.

I am sure we will. Thanks!

Wowzers!! What an amazing way to fly! I need to learn more about this travel hacking thing. And to think we were proud of ourselves for each getting a Chase Sapphire Reserve. Ha, ha!

Looking forward to your China trip report!

We have a really awesome group of travel hackers here on the Disboards. Everyone is super helpful and nice. You can find us on the Budget Board under the I love credit cards thread. No need to try and catch up on over 1000 pages. Just jump in and say hi! You got a good start with that Chase Sapphire Reserve. It’s an awesome card, but you want to pair it with at least 2 other Chase cards to earn your Ultimate Rewards at a faster pace. We rack in at least 100,000 points a year by pairing it with two others.

What an amazing way to start your trip! It's about the trip as much as the destination! ENJOY!!

Sayhello

SO EXCITED to hear about your trip and get a preview of our Adventure coming up in September! Thanks so so much for sharing! Your flight looks awesome so far.

What a wonderful way to start your trip to China! We did this fabulous trip 2 years ago. You are going to love it!!! Following your trip report will bring back great memories. Thanks and Enjoy!

Wow - how amazing!!! Such a great start to your trip. Looking forward to reading another one of your great trip reports.

Before leaving the lounge we took advantage of the showers. It was nice to shower away 28 hours of travel. The shower in the lounge was nicer than our own shower at home. Bonus!

We are on the last leg of our flight. This is Singapore’s new A380 aircraft which has 6 suites instead of 12 like the other one we were on. So the suites we are in now are much bigger and way fancier. The bathroom is huge! I’m loving the purple floor lights too! On this flight I tried the Krug champagne and discovered I like Dom better.

7CBE1F60-79C5-46B0-A858-83F2ADD87DE2.jpeg

F1591185-2C3A-4320-9E01-A3532B9F0A88.jpeg

3D5444B3-C9DD-4894-82BB-53032E89D06D.jpeg

What an amazing way to start your trip! It's about the trip as much as the destination! ENJOY!!

Sayhello

Couldn’t agree more!

Amazing! Good for you making the getting there so awesome. Am happy to have a trip report to look forward to.

I know it’s kinda crazy to fly out of our way to do this but it has been a fun experience and I’m glad we did it.

Looks so incredible I can’t wait to hear more! That flight is definitely on my list when all chicks are out of the nest .

It’s been really cool to do this! I will be mourning the devaluation on my SPG card this August!

SO EXCITED to hear about your trip and get a preview of our Adventure coming up in September! Thanks so so much for sharing! Your flight looks awesome so far.

Thank you for following along. I have heard nothing but great things about the China ABD! The flight gets have been quite fun for us.

What a wonderful way to start your trip to China! We did this fabulous trip 2 years ago. You are going to love it!!! Following your trip report will bring back great memories. Thanks and Enjoy!

Thanks for following along! We are very much looking forward to it!

Wow - how amazing!!! Such a great start to your trip. Looking forward to reading another one of your great trip reports.

Thanks for joining in with me!

Those suites look awesome for sure! Looking forward to a few glasses of Dom as well on Emirates.
As I'm not located in the US, I have no chance at this kind of travel hacking.

I'll be following along to see what to expect in China. Enjoy your trip!

Such amazing flights! I really need to step up my travel hacking/churning goals. I get excited getting a first class ticket from Portland to Orlando on AS! LOL

You and Mr. Calypso are so stinking cute in your jammies, all tucked in! :cloud9:

I had to pick my jaw up off the floor after seeing that suite, the food and the lounge! You are so lucky! And smart and talented to work your way into that suite with credit card points! I am in AWE of you! Still can't believe you had a bed! The bathroom was pretty darn nice too!

I am so excited to read your trip report! Looks like you are off to a fantastic start! ENJOY!

Yesterday we were picked up from the airport and transported to Hong Kong Disneyland Resort. The transfer was arranged by ABD. I was happy to learn that they would transfer us to either HKDL or The Peninsula. Our room at HKDL was a sea view balcony room. Initially, I had planned on using DVC points to stay. However, every time zip called DVC resort availability had not been released yet. I would up renting out some DVC points and booking this room, the post night in Shanghai, Disneyland Tokyo and Tokyo Disney Sea rooms with cash instead. It was a much better move and saved us a ton of money.

I thought that the heat and humidity wouldn’t even phase me since I’m from Florida. There’s hot and humid and then there’s OMG are you KIDDING me??! I will say that HKDL leaves a lot to be desired in terms of merchandise variety. One thing they had and I actually bought were face towels. I found it much easier to have these and wipe off the pouring sweat before it dropped into my eyes.

We spent yesterday and this morning at HKDL before grabbing an Uber to The Peninsula. I really enjoyed Mystic Manor and fell in love with Albert the Monkey. Let the souvenir shopping begin! All in all there wasn’t too much damage due to the lack of variety in merchandise.

6B493097-03B6-42E2-A74B-E57807F2C5D7.jpeg

154A992F-2B6C-4F78-A365-D13E2877166C.jpeg

012B0BEE-F0F2-47DB-972B-811769B1827C.jpeg

E49269A4-4831-4BE8-BDEC-34484C29BEDA.jpeg

Our Uber drive to get to the Peninsula was uneventful. The hotel is absolutely amazing! Wow! It is just gorgeous. After settling in to our rooms we were greeted with a Welcome tea served in our room. What a nice touch!

We had our Welcome Dinner this evening and it seems like we have a fun group. Our guides Ralph and Daisy also seem like a lot of fun too. We also have the pleasure of having a guide in training on our trip as well! Looking forward to our first big day on tour tomorrow!

5A649D86-C794-455D-8C8D-EE6172D35912.jpeg

39983696-D376-4733-A7B9-D8A951EABE7E.jpeg

3A3371AE-C6DC-4CC1-B892-170AAFC93164.jpeg

27D1F1FE-6A0E-4E8B-A9F1-6B124C90CB41.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts