Child is sick too often! (update post 214)

Really? My kids get blood work every other year, it doesn’t bother any of them, same with shots.

I have one DD (10) who has anxiety has no problems with shots or needles. My DS (12) and does not have anxiety over anything freaks out over any type of needles. To the point it takes 2 of us to hold him down to get a shot. He hasn't had blood taking since he was a baby so I don't know how he would act but I am sure it would not go well.

From one worrier to another, I feel your pain (or anxiety, as the case may be!). Good luck at the appointment , and let us know how it goes. Hugs!

Really? My kids get blood work every other year, it doesn’t bother any of them, same with shots.
You're shocked that a 9 year old would be anxious about a needle in her arm? Kids are all different. 2 of mine dreaded but didn't complain about shots. One had a lot of anxiety about shots and/or bloodwork.

Mine get blood work now that they are older. At age 9? No. Not routinely.

You're shocked that a 9 year old would be anxious about a needle in her arm? Kids are all different. 2 of mine dreaded but didn't complain about shots. One had a lot of anxiety about shots and/or bloodwork.

Mine get blood work now that they are older. At age 9? No. Not routinely.
I never said shocked. Yes, all kids are different, I don’t know the OP’s child, I wouldn’t assume blood draws would freak her out. Celiac was mentioned, that test will require blood work.

I never said shocked. Yes, all kids are different, I don’t know the OP’s child, I wouldn’t assume blood draws would freak her out. Celiac was mentioned, that test will require blood work.

Not anymore. I just went through Celiac testing and just had an endoscopy with biopsy. They don't rely on blood tests at all anymore, at least my gastroenterologist doesn't, because it is highly inaccurate.

Interesting. My coworker (in her 50s) has this. If she gets triggered with a virus or something, she recovers from that, but goes on with this psychological vomiting thing. She generally has to go see her doctor when this happens and they give her medications (probably anti-nausea and anti anxiety) to get it to stop.

I had never heard of it before!

The neurologist did give DS12 about a 20-day dose of anti nausea pills to take just to help calm everything down while he practiced his deep-breathing behavior modifications, so I think that helped in him overcoming the physical symptoms faster, plus he is a kid and kids usually change habits and behaviors faster than adults LOL

I would have never believed it if it hadn't happened to DS, but Rumination Syndrome is a real thing!!

Ha

My kids try to be a basket case about shots and needles, until I remind the worst of the offenders that he is starting pre-med in the fall and needs to get a grip lol My tough love approach must have sunk in, because he voluntarily gave blood at his school's blood drive yesterday - AND watched the whole process as it happened!

Not anymore. I just went through Celiac testing and just had an endoscopy with biopsy. They don't rely on blood tests at all anymore, at least my gastroenterologist doesn't, because it is highly inaccurate.

My son had both the blood test and the endoscopy/biopsy, in 2016. Medicine sure has come a long way in 18 months!

OOORRR......maybe different doctors do different tests?

Besides, an endoscopy/biopsy required anesthesia for my son, and the doctor said that they do that for ALL kids (not sure about adults), so he had an IV anyway...didn't solve the needle issue.

Haven't had time to read the entire thread, but DS13 does this, OP. He's been randomly vomiting off and on for at least 5 years now, probably longer. We still can't figure out the trigger. He's had plenty of doctors visits, tests, etc...and pretty much ruled everything out. It's very random. He won't do it for 3 or 4 months, then it'll happen 2x in a week. Then maybe it'll go away for 3 weeks and happen once. In other words, no pattern whatsoever. We've tried to figure out if it's some kind of food intolerance, but we can't find a common trigger. It happens to him during the middle of the night, but by mid-day he's back to normal.

Honestly, it's something we stopped worrying about years ago.

Haven't had time to read the entire thread, but DS13 does this, OP. He's been randomly vomiting off and on for at least 5 years now, probably longer. We still can't figure out the trigger. He's had plenty of doctors visits, tests, etc...and pretty much ruled everything out. It's very random. He won't do it for 3 or 4 months, then it'll happen 2x in a week. Then maybe it'll go away for 3 weeks and happen once. In other words, no pattern whatsoever. We've tried to figure out if it's some kind of food intolerance, but we can't find a common trigger. It happens to him during the middle of the night, but by mid-day he's back to normal.

Honestly, it's something we stopped worrying about years ago.

if you have time, see my reply #44 - my son went through something very similar, and the doctors finally helped us figure out what it was and got him help.

My 9 year old seems to be sick quite a lot lately. This Saturday she vomited half the day, then the next day was better, now this morning vomiting again.

I"m beside myself! She has complained of nausea in school this past week, too. I am taking her to the dr today but anyone have a kid that throws up out of nowhere, no fever or other symptoms?

Thanks.

DD#2 went through something similar, about 8 years old. She would be up all night, vomit herself dry, and then be fine after 8 hours sleep and some food/drink. One night, it started and in 3 hours, she was dehydrated and had to be hospitalized!

After almost a year, nobody had a clue what was causing it. She outgrew it about a year after that, when puberty took hold firmly. The doctors said they believed it had to do with her body chemistry changing and her body "rejecting" the chemical changes; they said it could also have been migranes, she wasn't getting the headache pain that goes with them but they said that is normal in younger children who get migranes.

I’m surprised you didn’t get a blood test first. All of my kids were tested, I was too, high rate of false positives, not negatives. My sister was the one who urged me to have the blood test (in runs in our family). She was 6, so bathrooming independently, but young enough where she didn’t think it was strange to have diarrhea every day. We thought she was just gassy, and liked to poop in porta potties.

ETA she did have the endoscopy/biopsy after the blood test came out positive, and was put out.

My son had both the blood test and the endoscopy/biopsy, in 2016. Medicine sure has come a long way in 18 months!

OOORRR......maybe different doctors do different tests?

OOORRRR maybe some doctors are more up to date about what is current best practice? My doctor said that there are too many false positives with the celiac antibody blood test to rely on it solely. My doctor also told me that a lot of tests being done to diagnose numerous digestive issues, including breath tests for SIBO and blood tests for "food intolerances" are basically a bunch of hooey (these are typically ordered by homeopaths who then shove a bunch of "supplements" at their patients without really knowing what is wrong). He said they are not reliable at all, and that the only way to truly know what is going on in the digestive tract is to get in there, look at it, and take samples that can be sent to a lab for pathology analysis. I have been dealing with an "IBS" diagnosis for most of my life, but I never had any testing done to rule out a more serious issue, so that is why I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy series done. Thankfully, I don't have Celiac, and that was determined definitively by biopsy of my small intestine. I also don't have colon cancer, which was another possible diagnosis with the symptoms I have.

I had my procedure in December 2017. I didn't need to be put under general anesthesia.

According to the Celiac Disease Foundation:

There are other antibody tests available to double-check for potential false positives or false negatives, but because of potential for false antibody test results, a biopsy of the small intestine is the only way to diagnose celiac disease.

Read more at https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/u...celiac-disease/screening/#cISjbwulh5WrEdLK.99

My DD is now 19 but from a very young age, she had the nickname "Princess of Puke". We had an agreement with her school which was called the two puke rule, she had to vomit twice before the school could call me. She went everywhere with a couple of plastic bags - its something we kind of laugh about now but man, it sure put a crimp in activities for several years.

After years of thinking she was sick or sensitive to a food or had a bug or or or or.........
We figured out she had anxiety. Her parents spent a couple of months with a therapist for her, where they were given tools to help DD deal with her anxiety and the puking lessened significantly.
She was about 8 when we decided to seek the help of a therapist, this after a friend and her Ped suggested there might be some underlying anxiety that we were not picking up on.

if you have time, see my reply #44 - my son went through something very similar, and the doctors finally helped us figure out what it was and got him help.

Thanks and I'm glad it's worked out for him. DS13s are a bit different in that it happens in the middle of the night, while he's sleeping, never during the day when he's awake and thinking.

My daughter was like this last spring (10 years old). She was dry heaving or throwing up on and off for a few weeks. I thought it was something she was eating that was setting her off so I limited her diet. Then I made her get rid of all her slime which she was obsessed with at the time. She was trading slime with friends so we never really knew what was in each one. No more instances after that. I think even after washing her hands it was probably under her nails etc. I’m pretty sure that’s what was making her sick.

OOORRRR maybe some doctors are more up to date about what is current best practice? My doctor said that there are too many false positives with the celiac antibody blood test to rely on it solely. My doctor also told me that a lot of tests being done to diagnose numerous digestive issues, including breath tests for SIBO and blood tests for "food intolerances" are basically a bunch of hooey (these are typically ordered by homeopaths who then shove a bunch of "supplements" at their patients without really knowing what is wrong). He said they are not reliable at all, and that the only way to truly know what is going on in the digestive tract is to get in there, look at it, and take samples that can be sent to a lab for pathology analysis. I have been dealing with an "IBS" diagnosis for most of my life, but I never had any testing done to rule out a more serious issue, so that is why I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy series done. Thankfully, I don't have Celiac, and that was determined definitively by biopsy of my small intestine. I also don't have colon cancer, which was another possible diagnosis with the symptoms I have.

I had my procedure in December 2017. I didn't need to be put under general anesthesia.

According to the Celiac Disease Foundation:

There are other antibody tests available to double-check for potential false positives or false negatives, but because of potential for false antibody test results, a biopsy of the small intestine is the only way to diagnose celiac disease.

Read more at https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/u...celiac-disease/screening/#cISjbwulh5WrEdLK.99

Glad we agree that different doctors do things different ways. Living in the Chicago metropolitan area allows us to benefit from doctors who specialize in all sorts of things, and have been around the block a time or two in their years of practicing medicine! I'm sure there is a lot of "hooey" out there.

And I am assuming you are an adult and your doctor didn't feel you were at risk for freaking out during the biopsy like a child would be, eliminating your need to be put under general anesthesia?

I am happy to hear that your Celiac diagnosis was negative. It is really a terrible disease.

Last edited:
DD#2 went through something similar, about 8 years old. She would be up all night, vomit herself dry, and then be fine after 8 hours sleep and some food/drink. One night, it started and in 3 hours, she was dehydrated and had to be hospitalized!

After almost a year, nobody had a clue what was causing it. She outgrew it about a year after that, when puberty took hold firmly. The doctors said they believed it had to do with her body chemistry changing and her body "rejecting" the chemical changes; they said it could also have been migranes, she wasn't getting the headache pain that goes with them but they said that is normal in younger children who get migranes.

Oh! There is also such a thing as abdominal migraines, which can cause all of the same symptoms. This was something my son's neurologist felt DS12 could have had along with the head migraines, but since the treatment is the same and there isn't really a definitive test to say for sure, we just called it migraines overall and treated it all the same. But he did say that some kids get the abdominal migraines without the head ones.

Glad we agree that different doctors do things different ways. Living in the Chicago metropolitan area allows us to benefit from doctors who specialize in all sorts of things, and have been around the block a time or two in their years of practicing medicine! I'm sure there is a lot of "hooey" out there.

And I am assuming you are an adult and your doctor didn't feel you were at risk for freaking out during the biopsy like a child would be, eliminating your need to be put under general anesthesia?

I am happy to hear that your Celiac diagnosis was negative. It is really a terrible disease.

Did your doctor actually do full general anesthesia or just used propofol such as with a colonoscopy?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter