Chicago marathon

Just thought of something on my long run. They had a BioFreeze Zone around mile 21 or 22. It was a “tunnel” you could run through and get sprayed with biofreeze. OMG. I didn’t use it, but it burned my eyes, nose and throat.

Chicago is pretty flat, but I wasn’t expecting the incline at the finish. It felt like a mountain to me, but I live in the Orlando area 😂

One more question - Does the train go from the airport to downtown? Or should I just Uber from the airport? Staying in a hotel by the park where we start/finish.
Yes, the Blue Line 'L' will get you downtown in about 45 minutes for about $5. Uber may be faster depending on the time of day but will cost around $50; sometimes higher, sometimes lower depending on surge pricing.

Those of you who have done Chicago before - any tips/tricks/advice? Favorite things to do in Chicago before/after the race? Logistical tips - getting to/from, navigating expo, etc?

I am going to be there solo and feeling apprehensive about being by myself in a big city!
Hi @BigEeyore , you already received so much wonderful advice so I won't repeat most of it. I ran Chicago in 2015 (it was HOT that year 🥵🌶️🔥) and we also stayed at the Chicago Hilton. The day after the race, we took our race medals to the Nike Store on Mich Ave and got them engraved. I thought that was really nice. I don't know if they still do that but I loved that I was able to commemorate the weekend that way. Best wishes and have an awesome race! 💜

Just thought of something on my long run. They had a BioFreeze Zone around mile 21 or 22. It was a “tunnel” you could run through and get sprayed with biofreeze. OMG. I didn’t use it, but it burned my eyes, nose and throat.

Chicago is pretty flat, but I wasn’t expecting the incline at the finish. It felt like a mountain to me, but I live in the Orlando area 😂
I said the same thing out loud during the closing miles of the marathon when we were running up the incline following Blizzard Beach. Someone laughed out loud and I quickly had to explain that I live in South Florida which is absolutely flat.

Two weeks Chicago runners. TWO WEEKS 😱

I’m so tired. I swear all I do is sleep and eat. I have no idea how my legs are still functioning when my brain is not 😂 I had my last strength workout on Saturday and it felt incredibly easy. One last tempo run tomorrow and then it’s easy pace runs until race day.

I actually had a mild anxiety attack yesterday especially after hearing there's an incline at the end of the race. So I watched some marathon course preview videos and it freaked me out even more!

Two weeks Chicago runners. TWO WEEKS 😱

I’m so tired. I swear all I do is sleep and eat. I have no idea how my legs are still functioning when my brain is not 😂 I had my last strength workout on Saturday and it felt incredibly easy. One last tempo run tomorrow and then it’s easy pace runs until race day.
Good luck! I can’t wait to hear about your victory lap in ChiTown.

@dis_or_dat are you running chicago?? Good for you. Don't worry about the incline it is not bad. Follow the blue line. I really can't say anything else about the course. It rained when I ran it and I was hanging on at the very end for the BQ so i have no idea what was going on the last 4 miles except swearing at my legs in my head because i did not want to waste the energy talking.

@garneska Yes, I'll be running this year! Want to knock out all the US World Majors after NY next year and then retire from marathons. 🤣 I'm definitely not checking Chicago weather every day! 😬 So impressed you got your BQ in such tough conditions. I always get anxious about races - just putting faith in my training. Unfortunately got an injury (high hamstring tendinopathy) about 1.5 weeks ago and trying to work through it.

@dis_or_dat you are funny retire from marathons :rotfl2: . I doubt that. You might postpone a little. Bummer about the hamstring injury. i am still battling the knee. It is holding up when I run but does not hold up too well the rest of the time. I think it may finally be arthritis catching up with me. Hope you enjoy Chicago.

Hopefully for you Chicago runners, this doesn't happen to you guys. My co-worker actually ran this and used it for his POT for MW. Now he is wondering if Disney will still honor it.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/0...ell-runners-until-after-i-truly-feel-cheated/
Wow! I guess I can understand a last minute change being necessary, but how hard would it have been to send out an email or text beforehand, and make announcements at the starting line?? Also, is a half mile so hard to find that they couldn’t have made an adjustment somewhere? I don’t blame people for being angry.

@garneska Yes, I'll be running this year! Want to knock out all the US World Majors after NY next year and then retire from marathons. 🤣 I'm definitely not checking Chicago weather every day! 😬 So impressed you got your BQ in such tough conditions. I always get anxious about races - just putting faith in my training. Unfortunately got an injury (high hamstring tendinopathy) about 1.5 weeks ago and trying to work through it.
Good luck. I hope that you feel better soon!

@garneska - sorry to hear your knee is giving your issues. Have you considered PT? strength training?

@jrsharp21 that's terrible! I do hope Disney will honor it too.

@kps7795 thank you. Aggressively foam rolling/ painful lacrosse balling. Frustrated it's messing with the training and not hitting paces/mileage especially after 3 months of dedication. But life happens. Hopefully I'll be ok for the marathon!

@garneska - sorry to hear your knee is giving your issues. Have you considered PT? strength training?
Absolutely. Doing Pt and it is keeping me going. I went on a big Alaskan Cruise in Sep. We did the long flights, the cruise, the train, and motor coach touring. My knee was really complaining, which is why i think it might be arthritis. When i run it is not too bad. In fact i was paying attention to it today and it did not bother me at all running. I do have PT on Monday, so i think that is why i was paying attention. Regardless I am glad it is doing ok. I think the issue on the trip was just being cramped and sitting for so long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter