Chef Mickey or Garden Grill

cgdisney

Earning My Ears
Should I stay with Chef Mickey’s or go with Garden Grill? It will be myself and my 3 year old Granddaughter. She’s a picky eater so I was wondering if the options are better at a buffet. I do like the idea of not having to get our food,but have never been to GG, and it’s been about 25 years since I was at CM

I will be going during the rehab at CM if that’s a factor. I am a bit concerned about that

We like both but I would suggest Garden Grill. I think the character interaction at GG is the best on all of WDW property. The characters are excellent with very young children at GG. Typically the characters come around to your table multiple times at GG (in fact, we typically get a bit tired of them by the third go around!), while you sometimes have to wait after you are finished eating in order to see all the characters at CM. In general I also find CM to be a bit more "chaotic" than GG. Since it's just and your granddaughter it will be so much easier to have the food brought to you as opposed to having to help your granddaughter get food and get your own at the same time. I don't know what will be involved in the rehab at CM but just knowing it is undergoing rehab would be another reason I would choose GG over CM.

We like both but I would suggest Garden Grill. I think the character interaction at GG is the best on all of WDW property. The characters are excellent with very young children at GG. Typically the characters come around to your table multiple times at GG (in fact, we typically get a bit tired of them by the third go around!), while you sometimes have to wait after you are finished eating in order to see all the characters at CM. In general I also find CM to be a bit more "chaotic" than GG. Since it's just and your granddaughter it will be so much easier to have the food brought to you as opposed to having to help your granddaughter get food and get your own at the same time. I don't know what will be involved in the rehab at CM but just knowing it is undergoing rehab would be another reason I would choose GG over CM.
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer
The food is much better at GG IMO. But it really is a personal preference.
Thanks!

GG was one of our favorites because of the great character interaction, food, and overall atmosphere. CM was just okay in all those areas and not one we will go back to. Have a great trip with your granddaughter!

We always do both! Chef Mickey's because we stay at the Contemporary so no avoiding it with 2 young girls. The food is good, not great. Garden grill for sure! I like breakfast better than dinner but both are good and the characters will entertain your granddaughter.

Garden Grill would be my pick. Donald missed us at Chef Mickey's brunch last time :(. They gave us some sort of ride voucher for BTMRR (granddaughter picked ride). We were heading over to MNSSHP that afternoon. We saved the voucher for a non-party day.

There are really pros and cons to both. Yes, there is more variety of food at CM and you get to see the Fab Five, however, I found, when traveling alone with DS was he was younger, buffets were REALLY hard to navigate. You would be, basically, balancing two plates of food while trying to keep an eye on your granddaughter. And, if you want seconds, you both have to go back up to the buffet. All while trying to time it so you don't miss the characters as they come by. I always found it very stressful!

GG doesn't have as much of a variety and when DS was younger I recall a trip where he only ate a roll and salad there, but it was nice to just be able to sit and have our food brought to us. The characters have always been fun there as well.

GG has the BEST character interaction. Although if you are paying cash, for a few bucks more than Chef Mickeys, Mickey's Backyard BBQ has even better interaction :)

Do both levels rotate or just the one with the view?

Great question and honestly I'm not sure. I've been seated on both the outside and inside perimeter of the restaurant but it's been a while. You'd certainly be more aware of it sitting on the outer tables. I was just thinking what 3 yr. old wouldn't think a rotating restaurant was cool!

Great question and honestly I'm not sure. I've been seated on both the outside and inside perimeter of the restaurant but it's been a while. You'd certainly be more aware of it sitting on the outer tables. I was just thinking what 3 yr. old wouldn't think a rotating restaurant was cool!

They both rotate. It is a bit harder to see into the scenes from Living with the Land from the upper ring, but you can still see.

I will also chime in and say that my recent Garden Grill experience was fantastic and the food was just wonderful. It is also kind of a buffet in that you can get as much as you want (of the skillet items and mac and cheese anyway). They will bring it if you ask. It's great because the skillet food comes out so hot, which isn't always the case at buffets and stuff. It was really wonderful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter