Cheap flights next summer

davidr

Earning My Ears
Ive noticed that flyglobespan are doing flights from glasgow to sanford for £365 next august. No frills & would mean getting to glasgow from london (so obviously an overnight stay) but as there are 5 of us I could save more than two grand - I am a tempted - any views ? I regularly fly cheap & cheerful to europe which is fine but never considered long haul. A two grand saving may make me consider it as I never take the kids out of school & consequently have to pay top whack for flights!

Hi David. I don't think these flights have started yet as it is a 2006 start-up operation (June 2, I believe), hence there probably won't be much to say yet. There short-haul flights picked up an award with BAA Scotland this year, and their Florida flights are part of an ambitious expansion programme next year. Parent company is the Globespan Group, who have a pretty sound reputation. Their low-cost flights (to Europe) started in 2002. There is not a lot of info out there about Flyglobespan otherwise, but it does sound like an interesting option (and very interesting that the first genuine no-frills flights from the UK to the USA will operate from Scotland rather than somewhere like Stansted, which claims to be the low-cost carrier hub). The usual provisos about checking the safety of your booking (with ABTA/ATOL bonding and by using your credit card for extra security in case of problems) apply!

Thanks Simon. If I save that much I may be able to justify doing DC for the 2nd time !

This looks great! What a terrific price.

Just a thought (sorry to be the voice of doom) but as it's a start up operation, any delays might mean you don;t get your flights - by which time it may be too late or exhorbitant to purchase alternative flights.

Just something to bear in mind really.

I have to say, that is such a great price, I might even consider flying to Glasgow to take advantage of it! I do wish them all the best as there are in my opinion few "cheap" long haul options to Florida and other long haul destinations.

Yes they are still available just checked 9th-29th Aug £301 each. Hope they start a Manchester service.

Flying up from London to Glasgow to get a transatlantic flight - I never thought I'd see the day :earseek:

The reason the flights are cheep is probably that the Scottish schools are back. For when we fly at the end of June the Globespan price was about the same as Virgin from Manchester.

Globespan have been around a reasonable time and although I've never flown with them I have heard they are on a par with the other budget airlines (Easyjet, Ryanair etc) so should be no worse than a charter flight.

Where can you get Virgin flights at Globespan prices?
Just done a quick check on Scottish school holiday dates 3rd -19th July (based on our family 2 adults+ a 12 Y.O.)
Globespan £1,306.50.
Virgin Manchester £2,477.40
Nearly double the price. Maybe I picked on some expensive dates?

Yeah school holidays tend to be soooo expensive! Although places like expedia do virgin flights cheaper!

Fly drive prices with Virgin are expensive to put it mildly, we are paying £849 next August....so we are going for 3 weeks.

Laurafoster said:
Yeah school holidays tend to be soooo expensive! Although places like expedia do virgin flights cheaper!

I cant find it now but I am sure I read on Virgin website a few days ago They do not offer lower prices anywhere else now. Some dates I have compared (school hols) were definatly cheaper direct with Virgin. Other dates I checked we not even available on Expedia but available direct.

JohnnySharp2 said:
Fly drive prices with Virgin are expensive to put it mildly, we are paying £849 next August....so we are going for 3 weeks.

WOW, I couldn't pay that for flights. Next summer I have booked 3rd Aug for 25 nights with BMI thru chicago (bit of a drag but worth it) £319 each
Then again Next Xmas (26th Dec 2006 for 11 nights) will be with Virgin Flydrive. Most I have ever paid for Florida £589 each inc Full size car with Platinum insurance.

We used Globespan for a last minute family holiday to Spain this year and my husband has used them once before.

You may not know this, but they already fly to Canada from Scotland, so long-haul flights are not new to them. The prices seemed reasonable for this also - so much so, we considered going to Toronto with them instead of Spain!

The planes were all new this year, leather seats and the same sort of legroom as any other airline I've ever flown with. The prices for drinks and snacks were not overly inflated either, but they didn't mind if you brought your own. We left on time, arrived on time and had a contact in resort if we had any queries. I found the service better than that of our Kuoni holiday last year to Florida.

We had already booked our Orlando vacation for next year before we knew about this, but we probably will use this service in the future.

on a downside there is a lady on another thread whom tried to book with globespan to florida and they wouldn't take her because she is disabled . I think she is fighting it at the moment out of principal now but just to warn anybody who is disabled .

here is the thread .................

Absolutely fuming - just tried to book flights for next summer with flyglobespan, who have refused to carry me because of my disability!!!Because I can't bend my leg they say I am a health and safety hazard. Funny how Virgin, BA, BMI, United etc etc don't see it that way! They will not even carry me in their Business Class seats with 50" leg room. Have spoken to the Disability Rights Commission who have given me a couple of numbers to ring - apparently air transport is not covered by the DDA but they do not feel flyglobespan should treat anybody like that. Am waiting for a supervisor from flyglobespan to call me back tomorrow.

I am so angry, have never been treated like this before. Thought it would be so much easier to fly direct How wrong can you be

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter