Chatty Kathy or Silent Sammy - Do You Talk to Strangers in Lines?

Keckster

Earning My Ears
I'm headed to the Learning 2019 conference in Disney in less than 3 weeks and taking some extra days to spend in the parks. I'll be going solo, but I'm an extravert so interaction with people is second nature. So, I'm curious, when you are waiting in various lines, how comfortable are you with starting up conversations to pass the time? Besides having fun in general, I think I'm going to do a little social experimenting (in a good way) and learn a little bit about the people, fellow vacationers or cast members, I encounter (assuming they want to engage in a conversation). I'm not going to get creepy or pester anyone. My wife's personality is introverted, so I quickly recognize when engagement is less warranted. I just want to see and elicit the positive side of humanity. Here's hoping my world doesn't get crushed by the negative side.

My husband loves chatting, so if someone strikes up a conversation he's all for it so I'm not going to be rude and brush them off. I don't really mind for a little while, most people are pretty fun and it's a nice break from the lines. I do admit, I tend to like being left alone so after a bit tend to get quiet and let him take over, but overall we've had pretty nice experiences when chatting with our fellow guests. It seems most people who are the type to strike up random conversations tend to be pretty funny, so that's a plus too!

I'm pretty much a silent sammy. I rarely talk to people, unless I feel like I actually have something to offer.

Nope, never ha. I work in marketing/PR so my career involves so much networking, schmoozing, etc., that when I'm not working I'm so tired of doing that I tend to keep to myself. Not to say I'd be rude if someone started chatting to me. I'm also a southerner so strangers starting up a friendly chat ain't nothing new haha. I'm just not likely to start one up on my own.

I tend toward introvert too but have tried to strike up a conversation. It usually works well in single-rider lines or where someone is obviously alone. Often I find they are also there for a conference also. In most of the standby lines guests are already with their own group and are just cordial if I speak to them, but I can tell they don't really want to engage so I leave it at that.

I'm definitely an introvert and I can entertain myself without talking or staring at an electronic device.

If I'm with the spouse we chat with each other, but we're also comfortable with silence. I would normally start up a conversation only if the person is really hot, LOL. :teeth:

That said, these days I interact a bit more... when your beard is blue or purple you get questions from kids a lot.

It all depends on the people around me and where I am both in terms of location and my own physical state at the time. If it's the end of the day and I'm so beat I can hardly keep going, I won't waste energy on chatting if I can avoid it. :) And I'm more likely to talk at a fun place, like Disney, than at a boring place, like the bank. :)

I'm an introvert, but I enjoy participating with a Chatty Kathy. I like listening to other people talking.

I do not have conversations during rides or preshows that is for sure.
Absolutely not... that would ruin the magic/experience of the ride.

I certainly won't be a buttinsky or insert myself in other's conversations. Really the only time I had conversations when there with my family or just wife was waiting in line at FoP. Most of the time my kids (pre-teen and teen) are mortified if Dad starts talking to someone. I am setting out to extra friendly with cast members (again, not in a creepy way). I just know that if you want real genuine customer service, you've got to be a great customer first.

I am introverted and it’s unlikely that I would strike up a conversation with someone at WDW. There have been a couple of times that, as a solo traveler, I made friendly, innocuous comments that were met with blank stares, so I wasn’t encouraged by those experiences. I have, however, had some pleasant conversations with people who have initiated conversation with me. So, I’ll talk, but will leave it up to someone else to start the conversation.

I am introverted and it’s unlikely that I would strike up a conversation with someone at WDW. There have been a couple of times that, as a solo traveler, I made friendly, innocuous comments that were met with blank stares, so I wasn’t encouraged by those experiences. I have, however, had some pleasant conversations with people who have initiated conversation with me. So, I’ll talk, but will leave it up to someone else to start the conversation.

that happens to me too, if I ever try to start a convo, it’s quickly shut down by the other person and I’m left with a “why try” mentality

Definitely a Silent Sammy. I'm an introvert, and in my real life there are constant "people" demands from my kids and my students. The last thing I want most of the time is to have to make conversation with strangers!

Introvert and not much of a talker, but if someone tries to have a talk I'll at the very least listen. I enjoy listening more than talking anyway XD.

The problem is if you ever see me and I'm in a line, I might not look too approachable since I have a terrible case of "resting mean face".

If it comes up naturally I'll start a conversation in line, and I'll certainly talk if they start the conversation. I like meeting people. Hubby and I are friendly and outgoing for the most part (especially him, he'll be making conversations with people everywhere lol).

Silent Sammy for sure, unless I think I can help someone, this is also partly because of the language border. But there is always my companion Fozzie Bear (a to realistic backpack in truth), who is (too?) often the reason for some chatting.

I rarely start the conversation, but people seem to be compelled to talk to me, which I'm totally open to... like last trip I had a guy seated in front of me in the Spaceship Earth car turn around and say " Hey, we were next to you in line at Nemo yesterday!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter