Charged $20 Fee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowwite

DIS Veteran
Has this happened to anyone else?
We had a meal booked at Spice Road but we were still in line for Remy so I went online to adjust it and got a message to phone. I spoke with CM who canceled that one and booked us a later reservation at San Angel. I got Home and see $20 pending from Disney Dining. I spent an hour on the phone and CM assured me I would not be charged. I just checked my credit card and I was charged any way.
update: Dis is going to refund and agreed I should not have been charged. That’s money we need for the next time. :mickeyjum

Last edited:
I would call Disney. Most likely they can arrange for a refund since you booked a different ADR later that same day.

We were charged for changing last week within the two hours. Severe storm so skipped Homecomin' to go to SH71.

I'm not disputing it since the new requirements clearly state you'll be charged for modifications or cancellations within 2 hours.

New rules, cancel or change/modify within the 2 hour window, you are charged. Disney was not wrong in charging you.
Genuine question . . . With this being a recent change, if you made your reservation prior to the change, are you subject to the rules when the reservation was made or the current rules? Considering that most people make their reservations as soon as they are allowed to, I wondered if the OP fell into that category and that is why it is being refunded.

The CM who told you that you shouldn't have been charged is wrong. Disney no longer allows modifications within two hours of a dining reservations at all. You can try calling if you won't be able to make your reservation to see what else is available, but that will still result in cancellation of the reservation you won't be keeping (along with a $10/person fee). Of course, individual CMs may choose to waive the fee on a case-by-case basis, but that is the exception and not the rule.

Genuine question . . . With this being a recent change, if you made your reservation prior to the change, are you subject to the rules when the reservation was made or the current rules? Considering that most people make their reservations as soon as they are allowed to, I wondered if the OP fell into that category and that is why it is being refunded.
I believe it is for any reservations, regardless when they were made. So current rules.

We were charged for missing our Oga’s ADR. The only reason we missed it is because HBD lounge took excessively long. To the point a manager came out and apologized. I couldn’t call because we were trying to eat and I didn’t want to call from the lounge. I did the chat the next day and was refunded.

The CM who told you that you shouldn't have been charged is wrong. Disney no longer allows modifications within two hours of a dining reservations at all. You can try calling if you won't be able to make your reservation to see what else is available, but that will still result in cancellation of the reservation you won't be keeping (along with a $10/person fee). Of course, individual CMs may choose to waive the fee on a case-by-case basis, but that is the exception and not the rule.

I thought dining no-show fees were a manual process by the restaurant management staff, or have they actually automated it.

I thought dining no-show fees were a manual process by the restaurant management staff, or have they actually automated it.

I'm not 100% sure about that! I just know that the new rule is that modifications can't be made within two hours of the reservation. If you want to talk to someone about your options within two hours of your reservation, you have to call. Even when you call, though, the official rule is that you'll still be charged for the reservation you don't keep (unless they choose to make an exception based on the circumstances and waive the fee for you).

They seem to be pretty liberal about waiving the fee if you call. I missed a reservation due to my own stupidity (had made it for the day before we arrived and didn’t realize until the charge showed up) and they waived it.

I would hope this leniency isn’t abused but honest mistakes and situations beyond your control seem to taken into consideration when you call.

I would hope this leniency isn’t abused but honest mistakes and situations beyond your control seem to taken into consideration when you call.
I think the whole system will be way less abused now that you have to call! It's much harder and more time-consuming to call than it is to just change your reservation on your phone. People without an actual extenuating circumstance/honest mistake will be way less likely to take the time to call IMO.

How does the 2 hour rule work if you're cancelling or changing an early breakfast that is within 2 hours of opening? Do you have to cancel or change before they close the night before?

How does the 2 hour rule work if you're cancelling or changing an early breakfast that is within 2 hours of opening? Do you have to cancel or change before they close the night before?
You can cancel online more than 2 hours prior. If it’s less, then you will be charged.

Last edited:
We had a reservation at Chefs de France last week and even though we ate there on time we were charged the $40 no show fee. My credit card company ended up giving us a refund with no questions asked. We were charged the day of the reservation so I think it's an automated process now.

Ironically we had an issue with the meal as my wife and son ordered the filet and they were both served incredibly rare (the manager came by at one point and joked that they should have been mooing). The second steaks were also served under cooked so neither my wife nor son was able to finish them. Normally I would have asked for them to be taken off the bill before leaving the restaurant but we were in a rush so we just paid and left. We checked out the next day so I wasn't able to call until I was home and when I explained the issue to the rep they refunded the entire meal even though I didn't ask for that. Considering how expensive the meal was I was very pleasantly surprised she decided to do that.

Does the calling 2 hour window only apply to the reservation day? Or can I cancel on my phonewithout calling say 3 days in advance of a reservation that I am not sure we really want?

Does the calling 2 hour window only apply to the reservation day? Or can I cancel on my phonewithout calling say 3 days in advance of a reservation that I am not sure we really want?
You can cancel at anytime prior to 2 hours before your scheduled reservation time, method does not matter - phone, app, etc. As long as it is more than 2 hours prior, you won't be charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter