• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chaperones at theme park

potterfanatic

Mouseketeer
My daughter is going on a trip to a theme park with her class and we just received the itinerary which shows that the kids (middle schoolers) are going to be allowed to roam the park with a buddy and just check in with the chaperones every few hours. I feel really conflicted about this. My daughter wants me to come along because she doesn't feel comfortable without an adult. However, I also understand that at some point she should be doing things on her own. What age would you feel comfortable letting your kids hang out in a theme park without full time supervision?

My daughter did a school trip like that to Disney. Had a great time.

Our son just did a trip like that to Six Flags. Had a great time.

Our last trip to Disney we let the kids go on their own. It was glorious.

My DS did it in middle school and was fine. He felt comfortable and so did DH and I. If your DD doesn't feel comfortable I would either go as a chaperone (if that is an option) or have her stay home.

Maybe you could take her and a friend on another and give her some freedom. And see how feels.

Theresa

My daughter is going on a trip to a theme park with her class and we just received the itinerary which shows that the kids (middle schoolers) are going to be allowed to roam the park with a buddy and just check in with the chaperones every few hours. I feel really conflicted about this. My daughter wants me to come along because she doesn't feel comfortable without an adult. However, I also understand that at some point she should be doing things on her own. What age would you feel comfortable letting your kids hang out in a theme park without full time supervision?

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around a middle schooler who wants mom or dad to tag along with them as they run around an amusement park when no other adults will be tagging along with kids. I teach 6th graders and have two teens myself. They would have been mortified if either my husband or I even thought about coming along in that situation. You said that you are uncomfortable. Are you possibly projecting your fears on to her, or could she be picking up your anxiety?

Last edited:
Born and reared in FL which means I spent many school trips at theme parks... we were always allowed to do this once we hit middle school. I do this now as a high school teacher, too.

Honestly, this would be a middle schooler's DREAM... no parents, limited chaperone interaction, and the freedom in a cool theme park with friends!

Personally - if my child (regardless of age) wasn't comfortable going without adult supervision, I'd make arrangements to accompany the class. Yes, most middle schoolers would be fine in that situation, but not ALL are. And there's really nothing wrong with that. Everyone develops maturity at different ages.

I have 3 kids - 1st one loved to not have adult companionship by the time she was in high school. Second child, wasn't comfortable with doing things "on his own" until after high school (like his mom). And the 3rd was pretty independent by middle school.

My comfort zone would be whatever works for my kid.

This is typical of middle school. I don't see an issue although our school requires kids to be in groups of 4. Encourage her to go.

I've chaperoned several MS trips to 6 Flags New England. Our kids had to stay in groups of 4. They checked in with the chaperones every few hours and once as a total group. The kids had a ball. They spent most of their time in line for the coasters. *LOL* Everything was fine, no problems.

We had lots of adults and the kids all wore their school shirt so they were easy to keep track of. We were not "on top" of them, but they were always in someone's line of sight. :magnify:

We had lots of adults and the kids all wore their school shirt so they were easy to keep track of. We were not "on top" of them, but they were always in someone's line of sight.

I actually think this is why she is so uncomfortable (if age matters she is 12). I was supposed to chaperone for the trip, along with several other parents, but they forgot to tell us that we needed to have fingerprints done in order to go and it is now too late for any of us to get it done (I went to the sheriff's office and asked). There will only be three chaperones total for their entire 7th and 8th grade class, and they are the teachers. There was a really huge breakdown in communication between the teachers, administration, and parents. She may be nervous because they told her there were all these chaperones, and now all the sudden there are only teachers.

Is the park open to the public on the day she is going? Perhaps you could go on your own. You would not be there as a "chaperone", and I would definitely discourage any direct contact with the students in this case. But, you could stay in the general vicinity of your daughter, or just let her know where you will be at any given time, "Just in case".

My 8th grader is going to our local theme park this year and she did not want me to chaperone. Turns our they had more than they needed, anyway. Since it is open to the public that day, and we all have Season Passes, I threatened to show up anyway. (I'm not really going to, I just wanted to see what her reaction would be. lol)

There will only be three chaperones total for their entire 7th and 8th grade class,
Yikes! That's not a lot of adult coverage. Unless the class sizes are extremely small. What if there were a problem and one of the teachers had to accompany one (or more) of the kids to the hospital (or off site)? That only leave 2 people to look over how many?

Is the park open to the public on the day she is going? Perhaps you could go on your own. You would not be there as a "chaperone", and I would definitely discourage any direct contact with the students in this case. But, you could stay in the general vicinity of your daughter, or just let her know where you will be at any given time, "Just in case".

My 8th grader is going to our local theme park this year and she did not want me to chaperone. Turns our they had more than they needed, anyway. Since it is open to the public that day, and we all have Season Passes, I threatened to show up anyway. (I'm not really going to, I just wanted to see what her reaction would be. lol)
This sounds like a workable idea, to me.

Maybe you could discuss possible scenarios that might arise and how to handle them to help alleviate her fears? My 12dd has always been clingy and wanting me to go on every experience, so I tend to push her to be more independent. Every time she has ended up feeling more confident in her ability to handle herself and an increased sense of self-worth and pride. Good luck making your decision and best wishes for a positive outcome!

I actually think this is why she is so uncomfortable (if age matters she is 12). I was supposed to chaperone for the trip, along with several other parents, but they forgot to tell us that we needed to have fingerprints done in order to go and it is now too late for any of us to get it done (I went to the sheriff's office and asked). There will only be three chaperones total for their entire 7th and 8th grade class, and they are the teachers. There was a really huge breakdown in communication between the teachers, administration, and parents. She may be nervous because they told her there were all these chaperones, and now all the sudden there are only teachers.

That's always fun. My wife and I went to get fingerprinted for a school volunteer background check. Well, my application was still on file but my wife never got around to it and she didn't get a badge. A volunteer badge is needed in my kid's district to serve as an in school volunteer or as a chaperone on field trips. My kid's teacher photocopied my badge and I'm supposed to openly wear it on field trips.

That's not enough chaperones, now that you've found out that none of the patents can go due to the fingerprint situation. Sounds like it needs to be rescheduled to a time when more chaperones can go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter