Changing Planes losing luggage

spectromagicmom

Mouseketeer
I am not a jet setter and most of my flights are direct...this time our flight has us changing planes in Nashville and I am a little worried about loosing luggage? I know I am probbably being silly...What is your experience? We are staying 10 days and doing MNSSHP, costumes are bumblesome and I don't think we can fit everything into a backpack. Help!

It's happened to me twice in 15 years and I am a VERY frequent flier. Once Munich-London-Canada due to a delay and tight connection, once recently on North American flights.

Luckily both were my final destination, and the luggage showed up on the last one a few hours later (home delivery). British Airways did lose the luggage for a week and it was when I was moving across the world. They did give me $50 for supplies and the luggage did turn up eventually.

Don't worry, it is very rare these days........

but that's a whole other story.... :mad: :mad:

Anyway!:)
Here's a few tips, in case your stuff is inadvertently separated from you for longer than you would like;) :

1) As you're packing, jot down what items you're putting in what suitcase..general itme description, ie, color, size etc.

2) On a piece of paper, write your name, destination, and a contact number of someone at home (who knows how to get in touch with you on vacation:))
Put that on the top of your items in the suitcase.

3) Take a picture of your packed suitcase, and jot down any identifying features , ie, measurements, color, brand. Keep that info with your travel documents

4) NEVER pack anything of any "value" in checked bags..ie, meds, money, electronic itmes

5) Kiss it all goodbye, you may never see it again...

Won't guarantee that your bags will disappear, but it will make your life easier if it does, and you have to fill out claim forms....

...and have a great vacation!!

:sunny:

:cool1:

On Sept. 10, I had one of my bags lost on a NS flight from Vegas to Indy. Out of our three bags two showed-up and one is gone forever. I sent in my claim a few days ago. In 40 years of flying, this is the first time I had a bag lost and not found within 24 hours. This was with ATA.

I wouldn't loose sleep over it. I have lost my bags several times (though not recently). Once you file a claim with the airline, they are responsible for getting your bag to you. Make sure you tell them what hotel you are in.

But really, I wouldn't worry about it too much

I've only had luggage not make the connection one time. it was an international flight and a tight schedule. 5 out of 5 bags didn't make the connection, luckily we were returing home, our bags arrived 2 days later.
It is rare but when it happens it is very inconvenient.

I've flown about 150,000 miles in the last 2 years. I change planes about 99% of the time. There has only been 2 times when my luggage has not been there. It has never been lost. Those 2 times i had my luggage within 24 hours delivered to where I was. I would not worry at all

I've lost luggage on a non-stop flight. Never made it on the plane (curbside check-in). I was at the airport 2 hours early too! :confused3 It arrived 4 hours later on the next flight and delivered by Delta to the Dolphin.

Although airlines can delay or lose luggage, it's not all that common, so don't worry about it. Think of it like winning the lottery, only in reverse. Exactly like a previous poster, I've had delayed luggage twice in 15 years of flying, and I can't even count how many times I've flown in those years, and probably more than half of those flights have involved changing planes somewhere.

Although I count on my luggage arriving with me, I DO pack a carry-on with a 24-hour supply of clothes, toiletries, etc. just in case. Better safe than sorry.

-- Eric :earsboy:

Thank you all so much for your input, great ideas and encouraging words.I think I might be o.k. This is a great place for info! :flower:

I had a bag not make it because they had to search it more throughly (although in was a travel large cosmetic bag...size of 2 shoe boxes)so how long could that have taken. They did deliver it next day.
Two suggestions
1. Always pack a change of clothes/vaulables in your carry on.
2. Place any computer cords..nail file,clippers,basically anything that looks like a weapon or piece of a bomb in a zip lock bag on the top of all your clothes. The travel channel says it will prevent screeners from rifing through you bags.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter