Changes in Buffet (one trip only) on DDP????

Ok, in my email this is in the print at the bottom:

"At family-style or buffet locations, you will only receive one meal; does not include all-you-care-to-eat. You will be charged the regular buffet or all-you-care-to-eat price."

Ok, this is how I read it. First off it says "meal" that doesn't mean one trip to the buffet or one plate, meal is meal.
Next it says plainly "does NOT include all you care to eat", meaning these are exempt from what they are saying. I take this as the "no sharing" aspect of the meal, because that is not addressed in the confirmation.

Edit ----- Ok, had my husband read it as well and this is plainly refering to the kosher meals only. So if you are eating at a buffet but require a kosher meal they are only going to make you one meal, not all you can eat.

Whew, that clears that all up.....had me scared 4 of our TS are buffets, we like to eat and get a variety of things.

Yes, this has been cleared up. The wording refers to kosher or specially prepared meals for persons with dietary restrictions, not to the regular buffet.

Years ago we ate at a buffet in the Opryland Hotel where you paid up front, went through the buffet line and exited the area into a dining area and were not allowed to return to the buffet. They would have to redesign to accomplish this at WDW, but it could be done. I don't believe this one plate stuff for an instant, though. They know they would be crucified here, on other sites, and in guide books if they tried to pull that.

I'm wondering if that place still exists with this format.
A one-trip buffet doesn't seem like a good business plan to maintain customers.
A lot of us like multiple trips just for the mere fact that we don't like our food all mixed together and want to spread it out on the plate not because we eat anymore than anyone else. (for example, i like to have a salad and then an entree plate and then a dessert like a normal meal).

it is on mine too, and mine is not a buffet ressy, but at the top it says they can 'accommodate Kosher needs ' so I think they mean no all u can eat of the kosher meals.

"Most Walt Disney World Resort table-service restaurants that accept advance reservations can accommodate Kosher needs if requested at least 24 hours in advance by calling (407) WDW-DINE or (407) 939-3463. Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call. A credit card is required to guarantee this meal; the full price of ordered meals will be charged if you cancel within one day of the reservation or are a "no show" for the reservation. At family-style or buffet locations, you will only receive one meal; does not include all-you-care-to-eat. You will be charged the regular buffet or all-you-care-to-eat price. "

I guess we have learned that taking something out of context can change its meaning.

I'm wondering if that place still exists with this format.

we went to Opreyland about 1 1/2 years ago and it was an ALL-YOU-CAN -EAT buffet....believe me...i took like 10 trips to that breakfast buffet! and they had a juice bar and I kept going back and getting more and more juice. and now that i think about it i remember the server kept saying you are welcome to make as many trips as you want to the buffet (and i thought, duh, it's a buffet and just thought he was being friendly) but that makes sense now cause i think they had previously remodeled before our trip so maybe that is when they changed it and he thought we were used to the old setup or something

We also have special dietary needs (food allergies). We've never been limitted to only one dish each. The chef always comes back out to our table part way through our meal to check on us and see if we want to try something else or more of something. He then returns a while later to see if we want anything else or dessert. Of course we do try to make our reservations at less busy times. When we've been at busier times, we know that chefs simply can't come out as often and a waiter gets him when we're ready for dessert.

All You Can Eat--
after 3 plates worth, big burly CM taps you on the shoulder..
"Hey, that's all you can eat! Scram!"

OK, no one really uses "Scram" anymore.

We also have special dietary needs (food allergies). We've never been limitted to only one dish each. The chef always comes back out to our table part way through our meal to check on us and see if we want to try something else or more of something. He then returns a while later to see if we want anything else or dessert. Of course we do try to make our reservations at less busy times. When we've been at busier times, we know that chefs simply can't come out as often and a waiter gets him when we're ready for dessert.

I think this is (obviously) the case where the chef makes modifications of the food within the kitchen. The "one plate" rule would come into play for a mean such as a kosher meal that is prepared off-site and brought in to the customer.

Kosher meals, from what I understand, need to be prepared in a separate kosher kitchen. They've probably got to be ordered ahead of time and brought in from somewhere else. Some severe allergies may also require that due to cross-contamination possibilities, but not all.

This is what it says:

At family-style or buffet locations, you will only receive one meal; does not include all-you-care-to-eat. You will be charged the regular buffet or all-you-care-to-eat price.

What are all your interpretations? I think it's just poorly worded...a buffet is a buffet. I think one meal means what one PP said...if you pay for lunch, you get lunch...you can't come back for dinner.

This is what it says:

At family-style or buffet locations, you will only receive one meal; does not include all-you-care-to-eat. You will be charged the regular buffet or all-you-care-to-eat price.

What are all your interpretations? I think it's just poorly worded...a buffet is a buffet. I think one meal means what one PP said...if you pay for lunch, you get lunch...you can't come back for dinner.

I think it has to do with the special dietary plates which need to be ordered in advance. It doesn't have anything to do with the DDP. If you need a kosher plate, for example, one will be prepared and brought in ahead of time. But, it will be one "serving" and not all you can eat. If you are like the vast majority of people and actually eating off the buffet, you can have as much as you like.

It's still considered ONE MEAL. Yes, they're still all-you-care-to-eat... but they're still one meal...no matter how many times you go up to fill a new plate. ;)

Wow! I've been gone for awhile and haven't check this thread to see the responses! Thanks to everyone who gave their input. Now that I read it again, I agree that it sounds like it is in response to the Kosher meals. It is definitely poorly written, though. Thanks for clearing it up for me!

To me it sounds like they are just covering themselves if they want to cut off a guest at some point from eating at a buffet or ordering refills of family style food. There are always people in this world that will exploit any policy and I think this wording addresses that and not normal buffet grazing or reorders on family style food. I do know that this has been an issue at Akershus because in the past you could order more than 1 entree as part of an all you can eat type pricing.

The Kosher meals served at all Disney restaurants are made offsite and packaged so the Disney restaurant can heat them up and not contaminate them. Kosher meals have to be made under very strict conditions, and just like food allergy meals, they must be handled only by certain people.
Specifically Disney Kosher meals are frozen, in a cardboard tray (think TV dinner) and come with new silverware in the package. They are brought to the table still sealed, so the customer KNOWS no contamination has occured in the kitchen.
With all that work it makes perfect sense why even at a buffet location, disney considers 1 kosher plate to be the entire meal. No refills on Kosher food. (I can not even imagine the cost to disney if they allowed unlimited plates of a food that had to be purchased from a specialty manufacturer, and served under such strict conditions.)

One meal = one plate is ONLY for Kosher meals. Do not worry that they are changing the Disney Buffets...not yet anyway :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter