• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chances of a movie premier?

Lavne

Mouseketeer
When I was at the movies yesterday, I noticed a poster for the new Disney animated movie Lilo & Stitch. The poster said it was coming June 21 (I also confirmed this date at the Disney movies website).

Can anyone provide any insight or does anyone have any inside knowledge regarding whether this movie will premier on the Magic during the 7-day cruise from June 15-22? June 21 will be Friday/last night of the cruise.

I know other movies have premiered on the ships. Does this usually happen for all Disney films (for instance, would there be a premier for The Rookie next week), or just the animated ones? I've read other posts regarding premiers, but don't recall too many details. If we would be lucky enough to have the premier on our cruise, what kind of things does DCL usually do?

There's always someone in the know here on the DIS - thanks in advance for any information you can provide!
:cool:

They usually have any premiers in the Walt Disney Threatre (the big show theatre). They premiered snow dogs there so they may premier Rookie and Lilo and Stitch.

MJ

Most likely, it will just premiere on the Wonder. This was the case for Monsters, Inc.

Here is the reason. Most films are delievered to theatres the day before the reason. I know because I work at a theatre.

Anyways, the Wonder sails on Thursday able to get the print to show on Friday. The Magic sails on Saturday, not able to get their copy until the day after it premieres in the theatre.

Another reason is Castaway Cay - it is Castaway Cay day for the Magic. The last night of the cruise is Disney Dreams. They would need to move Disney Dreams to another night.

Exception was Toy Story II, which did premiere on both ships. It is always possible that they could get a print a week early - just that most films are actually still being worked on up to the last minute.

We had a sneak preview of a movie a week before it opened. They sent a new last reel due to last minute changes. Therefore, it wasn't even the same movie a week later.

Sorry this is not the answer you were hoping for - but their is always hope.

I believe Pearl Harbor premiered on both ships as well.

P.S. I saw the premiere of Monsters on the Wonder - and it was a great experience. They had crew members dressed as the press interviewing us. We were the stars of the hit movie attending the premiere.

From the trip reports I have read I'd have to agree with KMovies. It seems that movies premiere on the Magic the week after they open in theaters, usually on the Tuesday night when there is no show.

We're waiting to see what Thanksgiving releases the Walt Disney Company is coming out with as we sail the week after. We'd love to see a just-released movie on the Magic!

Michele

I believe their Christmas movies are Santa Clause II and Treasure Planet. Not sure which one or if both will be in theatres on Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the great news. We are going on June 20th (3-day), sounds like we may see the premiere! A couple of years ago we saw 102 Dalmations (I think that's the name of of it) on the Thanksgiving cruise, the whole atmosphere and pre-show antics were so much fun!

Snow Dogs DID show on the Magic before the theatres. Or at least it was supposed to. The plan was that it would first show on Monday in the WD Theatre, with many showings all week in the smaller theatre, but there was a problem with one of the reels (were told it was lost). They were going to pick it up on the island and it was to show Wed., but that didn't happen either...another problem of some sort. Finally, it did premier in the Walt Disney Theatre on Friday night after Castaway Cay (Disney Dreams is on Thursday).

Thanks everyone for your responses!!!

Unfortunately, it seems like there's no real way to know whether we'll see a premier or not. I think I'll assume we won't, then take it as a pleasant surprise if we do! I wonder if DCL will tell me if I call the number given on another post that has been used to check what movies will be playing on the cruise? I may try that the week before and see what they say.

We will have a great time no matter what!!!
:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter