Challenge Medals - Double Qualifying?

SuperRob

DVC Members Since 2011
My wife is registered for the Star Wars Dark Side Half in April, and is registered for the 10K/Half challenge.

Had the opportunity come up so she is registered for the Star Wars Light Side Half in January as well (just the half since the challenge is sold out).

Any chance challenge slots for the half might open up, or that she can register on packet pick-up?

Also, since she is doing both coasts as well as both Star Wars races, she should qualify for BOTH of those challenge medals as well, correct? Please let me know if we're wrong on that. I couldn't find a way for her to register for the Coast-to-Coast or the Kessel Run challenges, but the way I read it, they just figure it out for you at packet pick-up for the second set of races.

It it normal to be this obsessed about runDisney stuff before you've done even a single race? And when you're not the one doing the racing?

My wife is registered for the Star Wars Dark Side Half in April, and is registered for the 10K/Half challenge.

Had the opportunity come up so she is registered for the Star Wars Light Side Half in January as well (just the half since the challenge is sold out).

Any chance challenge slots for the half might open up, or that she can register on packet pick-up?

Also, since she is doing both coasts as well as both Star Wars races, she should qualify for BOTH of those challenge medals as well, correct? Please let me know if we're wrong on that. I couldn't find a way for her to register for the Coast-to-Coast or the Kessel Run challenges, but the way I read it, they just figure it out for you at packet pick-up for the second set of races.

It it normal to be this obsessed about runDisney stuff before you've done even a single race? And when you're not the one doing the racing?
If you run just the two Star Wars races, you only get the Kessel Run. You need to add another Half (or Full) in either park to get the Coast-to-Coast.

If you run just the two Star Wars races, you only get the Kessel Run. You need to add another Half (or Full) in either park to get the Coast-to-Coast.

So each race can only qualify for one of the challenge medals, even though the website contradicts that? Or is it that the Coast-to-Coast has to be one of the non-themed races?

So each race can only qualify for one of the challenge medals, even though the website contradicts that? Or is it that the Coast-to-Coast has to be one of the non-themed races?
No, you can use one of the races to earn the C-t-C, but the Star Wars races earn you the KR, not the C-t-C. So, you can run 3 races and get both challenge medals - one of the 3 races would not be a Star Wars race.

This year, they gave the blue medal out as well as the Kessel Medal and the Pink C2C if you qualified. It was a surprise to most people (myself included), so who knows what RD will do next year. Consistency isn't really their thing lately ...

Example: My two friends that ran the Princess and Tink Halfs received both blue and pink C2C after completing Tink this year.

As for the Challenge, check with TAs (Get Sports, Acclaim and Magical Miles) - if they have the challenge available, you can likely buy that bib from them and transfer her registration from the half to the challenge.

I haven't read the 2017 qualifications but in 2016 the Star Wars races alone qualifies you for Kessel Medal and Blue C2C all by themselves so you would get 3 medals and the end of your 2nd half.

Sounds like they will give you the extra medal. Kinda silly, like getting the Goofy medal along with the Dopey.

I change my answer to say it's ultimately a crapshoot.

The way it read for this year, you needed a third race for the blue medal - but in actuality, if you only did Princess and Tink you got both pink and blue.

Same as 2016 it says it is possible to receive more than one challenge medal at the same time and the same race can be used for multiple challenge medals so since the SW halfs are halfs or above then they qualify for standard C2C.

That's the way I read it as well. That's why I thought she'd get both. Seemed oddly "generous" for Disney.

So short answer seems to be that she should only get the Kessel Run medal, but she might get both. Thanks, both of you! :)
That is what I would tell her. She will be pleasantly surprised if she gets both, and she likely will given last year's shared experience.

Yep crapshoot on if you'll get both. I emailed for 2017 and was told I would need a 3rd race to get the original c2c medal as the 2 Star Wars will only get kessel. So I would email and see what you get told. Their site needs some clarification for sure.

M
That's the way I read it as well. That's why I thought she'd get both. Seemed oddly "generous" for Disney.

In 2014(or was it 15) when the pink C2C came out the rules originally said one or the other but people said they earned both since they had done more than one race. I know people who had 3 C2C from back then and it seems Disney took a if you can't beat them join them approach. At least now it is only 1 of each.

So short answer seems to be that she should only get the Kessel Run medal, but she might get both. Thanks, both of you! :)

That is what I would tell her. She will be pleasantly surprised if she gets both, and she likely will given last year's shared experience.

What @BuckeyeBama said. They give those blue C2Cs out with a drop of the hat these days, which makes me wonder if they're trying to run through the medals they have to maybe/eventually make a design change? The medal is the exact same from 2015 to 2016 - the only thing that changed slightly was the ribbon, and that was to change the years on it.

I know I was originally told that if you ran the light side and the dark side, you got the kessel medal as your coast to coast. Rumor mill was that cast members kept giving out contradictory information, so rather than deal with a bunch of angry people, they gave out both. At this point, we probably won't know until the darkside 2017

I know I was originally told that if you ran the light side and the dark side, you got the kessel medal as your coast to coast. Rumor mill was that cast members kept giving out contradictory information, so rather than deal with a bunch of angry people, they gave out both. At this point, we probably won't know until the darkside 2017
I was told the same thing (KR medal, not C-t-C), but would not be surprised that it played out like this. The site information is as clear as mud.

Not true, you get both C2C and the Kessel medal for doing half marathon at light side and half marathon at darkside. No other races needed

This year i saw multiple people who only raced light side get both medals when the completed the darkside...they side no other races. I even confirmed it with rundisney. Same applies for Tink/Princess - you get both blue c2c and pink one

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter