Cell phone holder for Tween boy

heybets30

Mouseketeer
Well, we are headed to WDW! I haven't been since 1995 ... has anything changed since then? :rotfl2:

We're DLR regulars, and are just in the process of cancelling Tokyo Disneyland trip for the week of Nov 7-14. We thought - why not WDW instead!! Kids have never been, hubby has never been to FL either. Airfare is purchased, we'll finish resort & tix booking today/tomorrow.

I'm stumped ... I don't like being stumped for park gear. I'm looking for something sturdy for my 11-1/2 year old son to carry his iphone 8 plus (I added the iphone model since size is larger than average) around the parks. It's his first trip anywhere where we'll allow him to bring a cell phone, and i do want it as hubby doesn't ever watch his battery, so son's phone will be backup for hubby when we split up for rides ;-)

He's not used to carrying a backpack of his own around parks, and I'm nervous he'd set it down & forget it with a phone in it. Has anyone found a good - and STURDY - lanyard to hold a phone? Fanny pack would be disastrous given his tummy shape. Any suggestions from been-there-done-that folks with tweens/teens and how did they carry their phone? I've seen an Adidas small cross-body sports bag as something I might look at.

I will be the almost 50-yr old woman that I am ... it drives me CRAZY watching kids with their phones sticking out of their back pockets. shorts pockets not an option ;-)!!!

THANKS!

+1 on the string backpack. They think they're way cooler than a normal backpack, at least my 16 year old DS did/does. Also, save yourself aggravation and money and ask your DS what he's willing to carry around day in and day out during vacay. Any suggestions here will be all for naught if he thinks it is dumb and won't carry whatever it is.

Also, do yourself a favor and download Life 360 or some other tracking app on all of your phones, in case someone leaves theirs behind somewhere. You can easily track where it is at and run back to retrieve it. I watched my own phone take rides without me on BTMRR - I had left it in the seat pocket! Using DS's phone we kept refreshing and seeing it out at different spots around the ride, at least we could tell that it hadn't fallen out of the car!

Around that age my son once brought one of those waterproof (for water parks) pouches that you hang like a necklace over your neck and it was transparent so he could c his phone thru the clear color. It ripped a little during the trip with him opening and closing it but it worked well overall.
Once I also bought an arm or a wrist holder that you place your phone in for runners. it had a zipper. one velcroed to the upper arm and one you place like an ace bandage around your wrist.
one year i bought him short that had a zipper for a pocket , they were sweatpants material shorts.

A lot depends on personal preference, but they do make a phone holder that you can clip onto your belt. Then it isn't stuck in a pocket taking up space of other items. Some people like backpacks while others do not. You can check around online for the various styles being offered.

Thanks, ElizabethG! I like that! (I'm an Elizabeth G too, by the way ... use Betsy as a nickname!). With son's broken arm & the forecast of RAIN every.single.day next week - we're going to have him wear a lightweight Eddie Bauer backpack. He'll have extra plastic bags to cover the cast, poncho, umbrella, flip flops & dry socks. We figured that'd be the easiest thing so we don't overweigh one bag with ponchos, raingear, snacks times 4 people!!

My sons uses a tiny backpack (no longer made) BUT only if he does a park without us (we live near one). If just with parents he prefers to not carrying anything Nd leaves phone locked in suitcase. As he gets old he may change his mind (he’s 14).

this is an updated version of what he hashttps://www.amazon.com/G4Free-Lightweight-Packable-Shoulder-Backpack/dp/B06XSD6ZHX/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=g4free+mini+backpack&sprefix=g4free+mini&sr=8-4

since we are on this topic, if someone chose cargo shorts with zippered pockets, any particular brand?

I'd simply get a Lifeproof case and have him keep it in whatever backpack one chooses kids seem to like the string ones. Lifeproof case as it's a water resistant case good to 6' or so of water so you are covered for most of the mishaps that can occur at a park

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter