Celiac and cruising

OMG, not DCL, but this reminded me - Gluten Free Mickey Waffles with pecan syrup at Boma at Animal Kingdom is freaking awesome! In the running to be my "deserted island" food.

I don’t do pecans, but... At Kona Cafe you can get gf Mickey Waffles and ge the strawberry sauce they use for the Tonga Toast and it is YUM!!!!!

To the OP:

I have celiac and have cruised recently. As others have pointed out the information you received on the phone wasn’t great.

1. Avoid room service. They can’t guarantee GF
2. Quick service on deck CAN do GF. You’ll place your order with the chef and it may take 3-5 minutes more. I had GF chicken tenders and fries and GF pizza. They can do sandwiches/burgers as well.
3. Buffets can be fine. As Dug said - they can make your DS a plate in the kitchen if you let them know what she likes.
4. You can grab a soda cup to use for the soft serve ice cream on deck. There are no GF cones.
5. When you board you can go to the dining requests location and confirm the celiac notation. Do be vigilant with your servers - some are better than others.
6. Order dinner the night before for DS. You can also order breakfast the night before if you want to go to sit down breakfast instead of the buffet.

Disney is pretty good at this. Have fun and please don’t worry about whether there will be enough options - she will be fine.

This is why I love the disboards! Thank you to all--I feel like my head is spinning just with scrubbing down my own kitchen, ensuring safe meals for her at school, notifying summer camps, etc.--I am so glad to hear that our B2B this fall is one thing I don't have to worry about!

Bring your own gluten free ice cream cones for the soft serve ice cream. They don't always have cups and they don't have gluten free ice cream cones on board. Just carry them in a plastic tupperware. Easy to put the tupperware in a bag and carry it with you in case your daughter is in the mood for ice cream.

As mentioned beforehand, the buffet has GF food. They also had a sign for deserts that have GF versions that they can get for you. For quick serve on Deck 9 - for pizza, just remember that it will take about 15-20 minutes (so order ahead of when you really need it) as they have to make one from scratch from the GF dough.

For dinner, they will bend over backwards to try to accommodate you. You can ask for GF bread and a separate sauce for the bread (so people don't cross contaminate with their normal bread). In addition, the chef can make some special deserts for your daugther. Alternatively, if there are any GF deserts that are being served in other dining rooms (not just your assigned dining room), they can also go get that for you. In addition, if there is a desert that has some gluten items on it, they can specially make one for you without the gluten item.

If you are going to Castaway Cay - they will ask you to preorder the food the night beforehand and tell you to pick it up at Cookie's One. This was the one area that's gotten some controversy. Before, they used to make it on the ship and deliver it to Cookie's one. Now, they've expanded the kitchen at Castaway and will make it at Cookie's One. However, on our visit earlier this week, they did not make it at 11:30 when the restaurant opened. They only started making it when my wife arrived. This resulted in a long wait (where I had time to take pics of the ship while my wife went to talk to the person about her food, stand in a long line, and eat half of my food - all before she got her food). This defeats the purpose of preordering the food. I'm not sure if this was standard operating procedure or just a hiccup. Needless to say, I've voiced my concern.

For your second question - my wife refuses to try other cruise lines because of her gluten allergy and how well DCL has taken care of her so far.

Bring your own gluten free ice cream cones for the soft serve ice cream. They don't always have cups and they don't have gluten free ice cream cones on board. Just carry them in a plastic tupperware. Easy to put the tupperware in a bag and carry it with you in case your daughter is in the mood for ice cream.
It’s not necessary to have GF ice cream cones unless you don’t want to eat ice cream out of a drink cup. In fact, I have never seen cups by the soft-serve station. However, there are always plenty of drink cups by the self-serve beverage station, so just grab one there to use for the soft-serve ice cream. Sometimes, they do run out of spoons by the ice cream station, so you may have to ask the cast member working that area if the spoon container happens to be empty.

It’s not necessary to have GF ice cream cones unless you don’t want to eat ice cream out of a drink cup. In fact, I have never seen cups by the soft-serve station. However, there are always plenty of drink cups by the self-serve beverage station, so just grab one there to use for the soft-serve ice cream. Sometimes, they do run out of spoons by the ice cream station, so you may have to ask the cast member working that area if the spoon container happens to be empty.

This is what my sister does. In the heat the cones mean you get pretty mucky, so she prefers a cup. Grab one from the soft drinks area and you are good to go.

SW

Just off the Magic in Barcelona after the 13-night from Miami. One new thing we learned after 15 cruises regarding GF options. Rather than eating the rather low quality GF bread that’s usually offered, actually a hamburger bun, DW was able to get a GF French baguette each evening. Our server for lunch in Lumiere’s told us this and asked who our head server was. She alerted him and our servers in the MDRs were on top of it every day thereafter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter