Celiac and cruising

stout

Mouseketeer
DD6 was just diagnosed celiac--last week. Two categories of questions:

1. We are cruising the Disney Magic B2B in Nov/Dec 2018 (cruise number 11/12 with DCL, but first with an allergy). I already submitted the special services form and called. They told me to go to the dining requests session on the first day and ask to speak with the head server, said to avoid the quick service and buffets, but that room service should be accommodating, said to note on the kids club registration that she cannot eat in the kids club or do activities such as cookie making. Any other recommendations to make sure this cruise is just as fantastic as the ones she has taken without an allergy diagnosis? Any kid-friendly tips?

2. We are also looking at our first non-DCL cruise to Alaska in summer 2019. Tips on which lines would have the best kid-friendly gluten free options (she will eat a burger, not a steak, for example). Which lines have dedictated kitchen space and such things as dedicated fryers)? What lines have gluten free food readily available between 7am to 10pm? We are looking at HAL, NCL, RCL, but will look at other lines, placing food safety and food availability over desired ports!

Thank you!!!

My DS has had a peanut allergy and then a couple years ago he had to also eat gluten free. You have taken all the right steps and I would feel confident that your DD will be fine. Everyone onboard goes above and beyond with these situations.

One thing,not to tell you differently than what DCL said but from our experience, we did not have to avoid the buffet and quick service. Our head waiter showed us who to go to at the buffet and they were able to get gluten free items from out back. Usually there is at least 1 Head Server in charge of the buffet at breakfast and lunch, and they were helpful. The same with the quick service, there were always items there specifically for this situation. Even the night before we went to CC, our server in the MDR told us exactly where to go at Cookies (under some specific sign) and the CM there could help. She was spot on as they knew exactly what DS needed and had it for him within minutes.

I know it seems overwhelming, especially if this is all new to you, but they really make it as easy as it can be.

I can tell you from experience that you CAN go to Cabanas - ask to speak with someone who will walk her through, tell her what is safe and what else they can make in the back, and then find out what she wants and they will make up a totally safe plate for her. Even chicken fingers and fries. (Ditto breakfast and Mickey Waffles.)

I was also able to get a GF pizza on deck, and as I understand it you CAN get things from the other places - let them know there is an allergy and they will get a manager.

It might take a little longer, but it CAN be done.

The main issue on buffetts is cross contamination. Cruisers come in, use wrong tings, pick things up, put them down in the wrong place.
Say salad bar, there is a seafood option amongst others, very quickly, someone drops something in the other pot, or uses the wrong tings. Some have very sensitive allergies.

So,
Get head server to help.
Try to go when the buffet opens to reduce cross contamination.

The main issue on buffetts is cross contamination. Cruisers come in, use wrong tings, pick things up, put them down in the wrong place.
Say salad bar, there is a seafood option amongst others, very quickly, someone drops something in the other pot, or uses the wrong tings. Some have very sensitive allergies.

So,
Get head server to help.
Try to go when the buffet opens to reduce cross contamination.

Again, they will walk you through, tell you what is safe, make a list of what you want, and make you up a plate from food that has NOT been out on the buffet and then bring it to you. You are not (unless you are ok with the risk) getting your own food from the buffet in the traditional sense.

Again, they will walk you through, tell you what is safe, make a list of what you want, and make you up a plate from food that has NOT been out on the buffet and then bring it to you. You are not (unless you are ok with the risk) getting your own food from the buffet in the traditional sense.
Yes you had posted that. No need to repeat.

I have allergies, I can say what occurs ........

Yes you had posted that.

I know. But if you notice what I quoted, that poster was implying that you HAD to get food directly off the buffet. Which is why I said “Again” because clearly THAT poster missed it the first time.

I know. But if you notice what I quoted, that poster was implying that you HAD to get food directly off the buffet. Which is why I said “Again” because clearly THAT poster missed it the first time.
Ok, but quoted my post? ?? And you say that poster missed it? There isn't another post?

Having severe allergies, cross contamination it a very real issue, sit down meals, DCL can control it better, but have made mistakes, so still check.
Buffets have a higher risk, as fellow cruisers without conditions, will , as mentioned use wrong utensils, or say with children pick something, drop it, out it back in the wrong place etc etc etc.

So my suggestions of head server and going when a buffet opens reduces the risks for anyone with any allergies or intolerance.

They are nasty I know from first hand experience.

Ok, but quoted my post? ?? And you say that poster missed it? There isn't another post?

Having severe allergies, cross contamination it a very real issue, sit down meals, DCL can control it better, but have made mistakes, so still check.
Buffets have a higher risk, as fellow cruisers without conditions, will , as mentioned use wrong utensils, or say with children pick something, drop it, out it back in the wrong place etc etc etc.

So my suggestions of head server and going when a buffet opens reduces the risks for anyone with any allergies or intolerance.

They are nasty I know from first hand experience.

Yes. Because you completely ignored that you do not have to eat the food directly on the buffet. The head server will show you what is safe and take your order and the chefs will make you a plate from the kitchen where the food has not been out with the general public and therefore not subject to cross-contamination by other passengers. Same food - just not get it yourself.

Obviously if you are not willing to wait for them to make you a plate of what you want, then yes. Cross-contamination is a risk. But it is easily avoided on DCL ships by letting the head server take your order and have the plate made up in the back.

I am gluten sensitive and eat GF but I don't worry so much about cross contamination. At dinner they have things on the menu marked as GF but also you can pre-order the night before for whatever you want though they will tell you there are SOME things they can't make GF. Cookies - my head waiter made sure they had a GF meal for me there. At the buffet, ask for the chef, they will make you what you want. Pizza on deck can be made GF - they switch gloves and have system to avoid cross-contamination. Super good in my opinion, but probably not so much for those used to normal pizza!

Magic is my favorite ship, but Dream and Fantasy are a little better for GF in my opinion - on those ships you can get GF checking fingers and fries from the quick service on deck.

I don't agree about room service though - I don't think that it is great for GF. I usually get the cheese and fruit platter without crackers but you should say something to avoid cross contamination.

As for other lines, my sister is celiac and her cruise line of choice is Norwegian. She thinks they do a great job and she has to be super vigilant about cross contamination. However, when we sailed on NCL last summer in the med for the first time I wasn't impressed. For one thing, because of the "free style" thing, you don't necessarily know where you are going to eat the next night so you can't choose your menu like you do on DCL. The first time I asked if there was something GF on the menu at one of the restaurants the server was clueless- didn't even know what GF was. I was in the Haven and ended up eating there most of the time and they were pretty good, but I actually stayed away from any restaurant besides the Haven or a specialty restaurant after that first experience. I really don't know why my sister thinks NCL is so great - I would give DCL an A+ and Norwegian a D.

I have sailed on Celebrity GF and don't recall having any problems, but don't remember any particularly accommodating behavior either - not like DCL. Now I have seen some reviews of people who have had some bad experiences with DCL and servers that are not very careful. The head server is really a big factor on how your GF experience goes and because of that I always tip the head servers really well.

My husband isn't a child (obviously haha!) but has celiac. I'm not sure why the Magic would be any different than the Wonder, but he ate many burgers on a gf bun on the Wonder! They called a manager out, took his stateroom number down and tracked the entire order, and the head chef on duty made the burger himself. It was the same every time he ordered one, which was most days. The one thing that is a little tough: snacks. There was nothing really to take from the buffets that you could keep for later, aside from fruit. The only yogurt they had was Activia (not safe). None of the little cereal boxes were gf. Soft serve is help-yourself with those little cones, so definitely not safe. Hence the near-daily burger, as he is a weight-lifter and eats more than 3 regular meals each day, although this is less of an issue if you do main dining. The MDR dinner menus are marked to show the naturally gf dishes, so maybe look at those in advance with your daughter to see what might work.

I'm very baffled by the room service recommendation. There was really nothing all that safe offered, it's prepped so quickly that I definitely do not trust that there isn't cross-contamination, and you never get to speak with a chef or manager. It's odd that that they recommended that but not the pool deck burgers/etc that are specially made after you speak to a chef.

I would re-confirm that they know about the allergy every time you check your daughter in to the clubs. It's not just for food consumption; traditional Play-Doh is made with gluten.

My husband isn't a child (obviously haha!) but has celiac. I'm not sure why the Magic would be any different than the Wonder, but he ate many burgers on a gf bun on the Wonder! They called a manager out, took his stateroom number down and tracked the entire order, and the head chef on duty made the burger himself. It was the same every time he ordered one, which was most days. The one thing that is a little tough: snacks. There was nothing really to take from the buffets that you could keep for later, aside from fruit. The only yogurt they had was Activia (not safe). None of the little cereal boxes were gf. Soft serve is help-yourself with those little cones, so definitely not safe. Hence the near-daily burger, as he is a weight-lifter and eats more than 3 regular meals each day, although this is less of an issue if you do main dining. The MDR dinner menus are marked to show the naturally gf dishes, so maybe look at those in advance with your daughter to see what might work.

I'm very baffled by the room service recommendation. There was really nothing all that safe offered, it's prepped so quickly that I definitely do not trust that there isn't cross-contamination, and you never get to speak with a chef or manager. It's odd that that they recommended that but not the pool deck burgers/etc that are specially made after you speak to a chef.

I would re-confirm that they know about the allergy every time you check your daughter in to the clubs. It's not just for food consumption; traditional Play-Doh is made with gluten.

Definitely agree about the Room Service thing. I believe there is a disclaimer that there is no guarantee or anything close that anything would be safe. The one exception is Mickey Bars which are pre-packaged.

Room service does not have access to the separate "allergy kitchen" which is utilized by the MDRs. Unfortunately, it sounds like poor information from the phone rep. Did the suggestion to use room service come directly from the Special Services department, or a regular guest services CM? To my knowledge, they have always recommended avoiding room service and sticking with the MDRs for the most part - though there clearly are some options at Cabanas and the quick service locations.

Enjoy your vacation!

I have celiac and it was such a relief to sail on the Wonder. It was the most worry free eating I’ve had in years! My one suggestion would be to have an idea of what you would like to eat before you get to Cabanas. When I got there on the first day, found someone to help me, and asked what I could have, her response was “Well, what do you want?” It took me a minute to even figure it out because I’m so used to only being able to choose from a couple of options. DCL can prepare almost anything GF, and it took me by surprise how open ended her question was! I ate a lot of chicken fingers and mickey waffles, which were both delicious, and the first time in years I’ve had either of those!

Definitely agree about the Room Service thing. I believe there is a disclaimer that there is no guarantee or anything close that anything would be safe. The one exception is Mickey Bars which are pre-packaged.
So Disney has confirmed that Mickey Bar ice cream does not have fillers in them? I know some ice creams do, but maybe not the higher end ones, which Mickey Bars likely are.

So Disney has confirmed that Mickey Bar ice cream does not have fillers in them? I know some ice creams do, but maybe not the higher end ones, which Mickey Bars likely are.

I have always gotten them at dinner and my servers know I am gluten-free. Never had an issue.

I have always gotten them at dinner and my servers know I am gluten-free. Never had an issue.
It just reminded me of when my father was first diagnosed and we used to go to Dairy Queen for a Sunday treat. My mom was grilling the poor server about the fillers in the ice cream and my dad, not even thinking, was chomping on the cone! We laugh now, but it did remind me that gluten can be in so many things that we just don't think about, like ice cream, as I'm sure you've come to know.

Last edited:
It just reminded me of when my father was first diagnosed and we used to go to Dairy Queen for a Sunday treat. My mom was grilling the poor server about the fillers in the ice cream and my dad, not even thinking was chomping on the cone! We laugh now, but it did remind me that gluten can me in so many things that we just don't think about, like ice cream, as I'm sure you've come to know.

Yep. And some but not all barbecue sauces. Learned that one the hard way at a place I love to eat because they are SO gluten-free friendly...but their barbecue sauce for their chicken fingers (which are gluten-free without asking...which is why they didn't think about me requesting that sauce) is not. So I stick to honey mustard or chipotle ranch now.

I have celiac and it was such a relief to sail on the Wonder. It was the most worry free eating I’ve had in years! My one suggestion would be to have an idea of what you would like to eat before you get to Cabanas. When I got there on the first day, found someone to help me, and asked what I could have, her response was “Well, what do you want?” It took me a minute to even figure it out because I’m so used to only being able to choose from a couple of options. DCL can prepare almost anything GF, and it took me by surprise how open ended her question was! I ate a lot of chicken fingers and mickey waffles, which were both delicious, and the first time in years I’ve had either of those!

OMG, not DCL, but this reminded me - Gluten Free Mickey Waffles with pecan syrup at Boma at Animal Kingdom is freaking awesome! In the running to be my "deserted island" food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter