CDC study finds about 78% of people hospitalized for Covid were overweight or obese

I'm just going to ask the question - I don't expect anyone to have the answer. If Obesity is such a problem (and it is), and obese people are known to have higher COVID death rates (and they do), why have we spent so much time and money in the last year locking everyone down, confining them to even more unhealthy lifestyles, and zero, and I mean ZERO time and money on actually providing any healthy alternatives?
The answer certainly could be something that we can't talk about on this forum :rolleyes1

As for the obesity in the US talk, I don't think it is reasonable for the label of obesity to apply to someone who didn't maintain their Jr. High School weight when every minute out of school was spent playing sports and such to people in their 30's and 40's working constantly with no time to do the things they need to do as far as eating habits, exercise, and such is concerned. The obesity label is such a low bar. I am suppose to weigh between 140 and 160 lb. I would have to quit eating all together and spend the entire evening I have left after work exercising to be that weight.

In the Netherlands about the same percentage of people (78%) in the ICU have a BMI of over 30, which is more than the amount of people with a BMI of over 30 the entire Dutch population has (50%). So I guess there is probably a contributing factor to how severely sick someone can get from Covid19, but it can also have a lot of other reasons.

The percentage of older people with a higher BMI is much higher than the percentage among younger people. Also the amount of people with underlying health conditions like high blood pressure and diabetes is also higher among fat people. And on top of that, fat people do face unequal medical treatment. As a fat person myself, I luckily never experienced this myself, but it's pretty common knowledge that the solution for nearly every medical issue they have is "just lose some weight". I can imagine that can cause some severely delayed treatments for fat people, making them more likely to end up in ICU.

Of course, it can be any of those reasons or other reasons I've not thought of or a combination of some or all of those reasons. I can, however, imagine how I (a fat person with a BMI of a little under 60 with no other underlying health issues like high blood pressure or diabetes) could struggle with even quite mild symptoms of covid. Walking up and down my second floor (US third floor) walkup with steep staircases every day already makes me pretty out of breath, I can't imagine what that must be like if I'd have a lower lung capacity due to covid.

fat lives matter
Yup, and donuts for breakfast is finally safe again! They were safe, then it was a death sentence to buy a donut in the fall and through winter, and I saw this morning that they are safe again. I wasn't prepared with my normal breakfast, so I safely ate a donut today for breakfast.

In the Netherlands about the same percentage of people (78%) in the ICU have a BMI of over 30, which is more than the amount of people with a BMI of over 30 the entire Dutch population has (50%).

But, the article does not say 78% were obese (BMI 30+). It says 78% were overweight OR obese (which means 78% had a BMI 25+, not 30+.

The CDC report showed 50.2% were obese. So if 78% of the hospitalizations in the Netherlands were obese that's way higher than in the US.

The percentage of older people with a higher BMI is much higher than the percentage among younger people.
Here in the state of Georgia, our data shows a very high correlation between age and the seriousness of COVID symptoms. This is consistent with all other reports. More than any other factor, age seems to be the most significant.

The number of deaths in those under age 40 doesn't even register on this chart, while hospitalizations are small in this demographic. (And aged 40-49 deaths barely registers.)

If we assume that 75% of the Georgia population is overweight or obese and then consider how few percent under the age of 40 are hospitalized, weight does not seem to be a factor.

Georgia COVID.jpg

But, the article does not say 78% were obese (BMI 30+). It says 78% were overweight OR obese (which means 78% had a BMI 25+, not 30+.

The CDC report showed 50.2% were obese. So if 78% of the hospitalizations in the Netherlands were obese that's way higher than in the US.
Yeah I think I misread what was considered overweight and obese on the BMI scale when I was looking it up :rolleyes1. I meant to say that 78% in Dutch ICU were overweight (BMI of 25+). 35% of ICU covid patients have a BMI of 30 and up, compared to 15% of the total population.

Sorry for the confusion

No, it’s not the exception. BMI is a terrible measure of health

I believe it, I don't think we should just blow it off. Yes BMI can be thrown off by some things but for the most part I think all that have a bad BMI should at least look at what they eat, and their lifestyle, if they exercise, etc. Yes age may factor in also. My BMI is just where it should be.
The answer certainly could be something that we can't talk about on this forum :rolleyes1

As for the obesity in the US talk, I don't think it is reasonable for the label of obesity to apply to someone who didn't maintain their Jr. High School weight when every minute out of school was spent playing sports and such to people in their 30's and 40's working constantly with no time to do the things they need to do as far as eating habits, exercise, and such is concerned. The obesity label is such a low bar. I am suppose to weigh between 140 and 160 lb. I would have to quit eating all together and spend the entire evening I have left after work exercising to be that weight.

I think many of us that were locked down did the opposite and worked out didn't just sit around eating crappy food. I have a good BMI and I eat normally, do not diet, but don't consume tons of high sugar, high processed foods, chips, all that stuff, McDonald's etc. It really isn't all that hard. We walk regularly and in nicer weather can bike ride, etc. I do other kinds of exercises also. Think we all should try eat healthier foods and not more than fills you up either.

I believe it, I don't think we should just blow it off. Yes BMI can be thrown off by some things but for the most part I think all that have a bad BMI should at least look at what they eat, and their lifestyle, if they exercise, etc. Yes age may factor in also. My BMI is just where it should be.
Nobody said blow it off. However, those things need to be looked at regardless of BMI. Being within the guidelines of BMI doesn't automatically make one healthy. It alone is a terrible measure of health. That's my entire point.

How do you know that you're healthier than me? Do you really think BMI is the only thing that tells you that?

I'm just going to ask the question - I don't expect anyone to have the answer. If Obesity is such a problem (and it is), and obese people are known to have higher COVID death rates (and they do), why have we spent so much time and money in the last year locking everyone down, confining them to even more unhealthy lifestyles, and zero, and I mean ZERO time and money on actually providing any healthy alternatives?

Well, if you ever watch Bill Maher on HBO, he's been railing about this for a year. One of the ways you can help yourself through COVID is to lose weight, eat right, be healthy and NO ONE is really preaching this. It's outraged him. I guess no one really wants to hear it or be lectured to!

Nobody said blow it off. However, those things need to be looked at regardless of BMI. Being within the guidelines of BMI doesn't automatically make one healthy. It alone is a terrible measure of health. That's my entire point.

How do you know that you're healthier than me? Do you really think BMI is the only thing that tells you that?

I never said I was healthier than you, I don't know you and even if I did I wouldn't really know as I am not a doctor. And I get it isn't full proof. I just think that it can be hard to live and eat healthy in USA and having that many obese in this country or bad BMI count needs to be a big wake up call.

I could jump on my soapbox and tell you the reasons I believe attribute to unhealthy lifestyle of many but I'm going to refrain.

I never said I was healthier than you, I don't know you and even if I did I wouldn't really know as I am not a doctor. And I get it isn't full proof. I just think that it can be hard to live and eat healthy in USA and having that many obese in this country or bad BMI count needs to be a big wake up call.
You implied it though with saying that those who have a BMI outside of “normal” need to have all those things looked at. You said yours falls within “normal”, I’ve said mine falls within “overweight” despite having my doc and labs say I’m healthy.

Why wouldn’t those with normal BMI need to be asked the same questions? Your own words said I should be asked, but you shouldn’t. There are plenty of people with “normal” BMI who eat like absolute garbage and aren’t healthy. It’s equally dangerous to assume somebody with a higher BMI is less healthy as it is to assume somebody with a normal BMI is healthy.

The whole point is BMI is outdated and not a good tool for measuring health.

ETA: to be clear, I’m not taking this personally, just using myself as an example to try to articulate how dangerous broad brush assumptions can be.

Last edited:
You implied it though with saying that those who have a BMI outside of “normal” need to have all those things looked at. You said yours falls within “normal”, I’ve said mine falls within “overweight” despite having my doc and labs says I’m healthy.

Why wouldn’t those with normal BMI need to be asked the same questions? Your own words said I should be asked, but you shouldn’t. There are plenty of people with “normal” BMI who eat like absolute garbage and aren’t healthy. It’s equally dangerous to assume somebody with a higher BMI is less healthy as it is to assume somebody with a normal BMI is healthy.

The whole point is BMI is outdated and not a good tool for measuring health.

ETA: to be clear, I’m not taking this personally, just using myself as an example to try to articulate how dangerous broad brush assumptions can be.
Yeah the blood work done for my husband's health insurance shows a different story between me and him. His BMI is actually almost a wee bit too small because he's so tall but look at his blood pressure, triglycerides, HDL cholesterol, etc and his wasn't always as good as mine was. But his family has a history of slightly elevated blood pressure for example. Him and I eat roughly the same truly. IDK the thing that always struck me is that for some reason some people take that others point out the limitations of BMI to mean no one knows how carrying extra fat can affect the body. People are just saying it has its limits and the issue is society hasn't in by large cared to look beyond a BMI. It's almost whatev to me these days. Clearly peeps don't get it.

In the Netherlands about the same percentage of people (78%) in the ICU have a BMI of over 30, which is more than the amount of people with a BMI of over 30 the entire Dutch population has (50%). So I guess there is probably a contributing factor to how severely sick someone can get from Covid19, but it can also have a lot of other reasons.

The percentage of older people with a higher BMI is much higher than the percentage among younger people. Also the amount of people with underlying health conditions like high blood pressure and diabetes is also higher among fat people. And on top of that, fat people do face unequal medical treatment. As a fat person myself, I luckily never experienced this myself, but it's pretty common knowledge that the solution for nearly every medical issue they have is "just lose some weight". I can imagine that can cause some severely delayed treatments for fat people, making them more likely to end up in ICU.

As someone who bounces back and forth between overweight and obese and has an entirely, completely, 100% unrelated-to-weight, genetic autoimmune condition, this cartoon really nailed my experiences with the medical system when I was trying to figure out what was going on during my first flare-up.

I believe approximately 19 million people in the US currently live in a food desert. They do not have easy access to healthy food choices.

... and exercise is generally predicated on free time and energy, which the uncertain schedules and high stress lifestyle associated with poverty generally preclude. Not to mention the role of chronic stress and cortisol levels in metabolism.

As someone who bounces back and forth between overweight and obese and has an entirely, completely, 100% unrelated-to-weight, genetic autoimmune condition, this cartoon really nailed my experiences with the medical system when I was trying to figure out what was going on during my first flare-up.

View attachment 566642
This is absolutely my wife as well. We went through so many doctors in the early years of our marriage, including two reproductive endocrinologists whose only response to whatever issues she was having was "You need to lose weight." Even after she did all the blood work and she was incredibly healthy other than the number on the scale. Once she found a Dr. that actually listened to her it was amazing.

Another really good tool is your height to waist ration. Your waste should be less than half your height. Are either of these two thing, on their own, a comprehensive measure of health? No. Are either, or both together a good first step in determining if you are a healthy weight? Absolutely. Anyone that really wants to know about their health needs to seek out a doctor that will work with them to really determine what their blood counts and body composition are. It might take more than going to a GP for 30 minutes once a year but if you really care (general you) you'll make the effort and investment.

Well, if you ever watch Bill Maher on HBO, he's been railing about this for a year. One of the ways you can help yourself through COVID is to lose weight, eat right, be healthy and NO ONE is really preaching this. It's outraged him. I guess no one really wants to hear it or be lectured to!

There are people out there preaching it, it just takes some effort to seek them out. Plenty of doctors are talking about our unhealthy diets and lifestyle and talk about what they call the over-fat pandemic. I take Covid seriously and have since day one but at the same time the over-fat pandemic will kill way more people than Covid ever will, it just isn't contagious. Your last sentence is pretty much spot on. Everyone gets so defensive about weight but it is no different than any other unhealthy lifestyle choice. Smoking, excessive drinking, and hard drugs may kill you differently and at a different pace than a poor diet but they aren't really all that different.

Everyone gets so defensive about weight but it is no different than any other unhealthy lifestyle choice. Smoking, excessive drinking, and hard drugs may kill you differently and at a different pace than a poor diet but they aren't really all that different.
They probably are picking up how you talk about it..idk food for thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter