CDC says Cruises can start in July

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really do wonder if they decided to go the 95% vax route (meaning no kids), would DCL really be willing to try that out of Canaveral? I guess, they are doing it in the UK right?
No, the UK sailings are allowing kids - they are only requiring vaccine for those 18+ but not for kids. So those sailings won't hit 95% vaccinated of total passengers (but would be 100% vaccinated of "eligible" passengers).

I think the crew vaccination is a harder hurdle than it sounds like.

Most of the CMs come from places where vaccines aren't happening. Vaccine access in most of those countries is hard even for their richest citizens.

For a line to get all their crew vaccinated, they will have to bring them somewhere (probs the ship?) where they can get the shot. Unless they get their hands on some nice Janssen, it's a 6 week process to full vaccination (jab, 4 weeks, jab, 2 weeks); they also need the government to be playing ball with them to provide vaccine, generally speaking.

So they would need Florida to go along with this vaccine mandate, getting them supply. While I think Florida could give them supply to do this, is it in line with the Gubernatorial posturing?

Vaccine has super-tight export control, so I wouldn't expect them to be vaccinating crew and doing quarantine in Pakistan or similar. And forget India - RCCL has cancelled India crew contracts because of the travel bans. No one will let them in right now and it's not expected to change for a while.

I think the crew vaccination is a harder hurdle than it sounds like.

Most of the CMs come from places where vaccines aren't happening. Vaccine access in most of those countries is hard even for their richest citizens.

For a line to get all their crew vaccinated, they will have to bring them somewhere (probs the ship?) where they can get the shot. Unless they get their hands on some nice Janssen, it's a 6 week process to full vaccination (jab, 4 weeks, jab, 2 weeks); they also need the government to be playing ball with them to provide vaccine, generally speaking.

So they would need Florida to go along with this vaccine mandate, getting them supply. While I think Florida could give them supply to do this, is it in line with the Gubernatorial posturing?

Vaccine has super-tight export control, so I wouldn't expect them to be vaccinating crew and doing quarantine in Pakistan or similar. And forget India - RCCL has cancelled India crew contracts because of the travel bans. No one will let them in right now and it's not expected to change for a while.
It's funny how the CDC announced this the day after Florida passed the new law....hmm. The CDC is saying they can bypass the test cruises if vaccines are mandated not that they can't sail if vaccines aren't mandated.

It's funny how the CDC announced this the day after Florida passed the new law....hmm. The CDC is saying they can bypass the test cruises if vaccines are mandated not that they can't sail if vaccines aren't mandated.

Well, it does make sense outside of it being opportunistic. There is no academic organization built that can spin out a requirements guidance in under a week. "We'll trust your safety measures more unseen if they are less necessary."

The CDC is saying they can bypass the test cruises if vaccines are mandated not that they can't sail if vaccines aren't mandated.

This is the important thing.

We will see what actually happens in the end but I would expect Disney to just do the simulated sailings, remove any requirement to follow vaccine guidelines, and then make their own decision on the matter.

Makes no sense for Disney to try and basically forbid kids from the cruise to hit some extremely high vaccine % "requirement".

Yes I’m stirring the pot😆
Can I choose to be the 5% not vaccinated?
Pay a premium and not have to be vaccinated 😂😂
Be the first to sign up ... you don’t have to be vaccinated 🤣
Concierges no vaccines

The concierge lounge is small, it will be hard to use it without people being vaccinated. My next cruise is in concierge and for that price, I want to be able to use the lounge and sun deck without waiting in line. Time will tell. If Celebrity requires vaccinations and DCL does not, I can imagine some adult only cruisers deciding to change cruise lines. I will pay good money to cruise, but I want as few restrictions as possible - I think vaccination gets you that. (Obviously - that is my personal opinion and clearly others will feel differently.)

I will pay good money to cruise, but I want as few restrictions as possible - I think vaccination gets you that. (Obviously - that is my personal opinion and clearly others will feel differently.)
I think this come down to whether you want to cruise sooner or later. Sooner, means there will be more restrictions or limitations. Some of them you may not mind, some may even be improvements (in your opinion), and others may be deal breakers for you. If there are going to need to limitations on things like pools and being on deck, I'm hoping that overall limits on the number of people on board will make those less disruptive.

We will see what actually happens in the end but I would expect Disney to just do the simulated sailings, remove any requirement to follow vaccine guidelines, and then make their own decision on the matter.

Makes no sense for Disney to try and basically forbid kids from the cruise to hit some extremely high vaccine % "requirement".
Everyone says the state of Florida doesn't have control over ships that are internationally flagged and sailing in international waters, well either does the CDC. Obviously, they both have some control over ships embarking, debarking, and sailing through US waters. I don't foresee cruises starting this Summer.

I'm curious if the reporting on this, or if the press release, is really meant to reflect the percentage of eligible people. Since children under 16 can't be vaccinated yet I'm wondering if there will be some sort of testing requirement (a la RCL) for children.

I don't think this means anything really. There is still the lawsuit coming up and of course the law that was passed yesterday in Florida. I wouldn't be packing my bags yet.
I'm not sure how the Fl governor can sue the CDC saying that they "hadn't taken vaccines into account to start sailing" and then say that vaccines can't be required (they can). He needs to get a grip.

Last edited:
I'm not sure hot the Fl governor can sue the CDC saying that they "hadn't taken vaccines into account to start sailing" and then say that vaccines can't be required (they can). He needs to get a grip.
A percentage of the population has been vaccinated voluntarily.

When the governor said "the CDC hadn't taken into account vaccinations" he was saying they haven't taken into account the people that have voluntarily been vaccinated. He wasn't saying the CDC hasn't taken into account that they can require vaccines. Two different things.

I'm not sure what your point is.
Nor am I sure what your point is. Florida doesn't want people to have to prove their vaccine status. CDC says ships have to be vaccinated to sail. Florida can't sue to sail, then decline to do what's asked to sail. I mean they can, but it looks ridiculous and it's just dragging things out. Cruise lines and any private business can request information or provide guidelines to using their services. If you don't like them, find another business.

Nor am I sure what your point is. Florida doesn't want people to have to prove their vaccine status. CDC says ships have to be vaccinated to sail. Florida can't sue to sail, then decline to do what's asked to sail. I mean they can, but it looks ridiculous and it's just dragging things out. Cruise lines and any private business can request information or provide guidelines to using their services. If you don't like them, find another business.
CDC said they can drop the test cruise if 95% of the ship is vaccinated. The conditional sail order still stands. No, it doesn't look ridiculous at all. Not everyone believes in mandating vaccines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter