CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Governor of WI says he will open up vaccinations to everyone with health conditions, including BMI over 25, on 3/31. That will mean that just about everyone in the state will be eligible. Makes me glad I went outside the state system to get my shot. I have been told that in some parts of the state, if you say you are an essential worker you can get an appointment with no proof. I personally know two people who have gotten shots this week who do not qualify under current guidelines.

It was reported today the reason why Louisiana opened up eligibility to 16 and up with underlying conditions was because hundreds of appointments per day at a hospital in Baton Rouge were going unfilled. The change in eligibility this week opened it up to 70-80 percent of our population over 16 this week. Now the state ranks as one of most open states when it comes to vaccine eligibility. Good to be among the top in something good.

This makes sense. It's been a long year (+) for all of us. The next few months are critical....the more people we can vaccinate before everyone tries to jump back into their pre-2020 type lives, the more likely we'll have less potholes in the road going forward. And right now, even if states are saying....we're wide-open.....it makes me feel a bit better than certain cities, counties, school, industries and businesses are putting speed bumps in place now, so we can hopefully avoid issues down that road.

Probably the final piece of the puzzle to fall into place will be the cruise line industry. They are probably the most optimistic board on this site .....and Chapek threw some cold water on those plans earlier this week when he said that DCL may begin limited cruising by the fall of 2021..."with some luck". I don't think Disney has officially cancelled cruises for the summer of 2021....except they just did.

So I'm all for speed bumps now to avoid crater-sized pot holes in the fall.
In our case, we haven taken cautious steps, trips to a beach bubble place, not seeing our kids in our cities/states. We are going to venture a bit more, weairing masks, washing hands, etc. We are going to WDW to try and use expiring DVC points in a few weeks, after the spring break period and before summer. We will drive so we can avoid the closeness in the airport, on the plane, and on WDW busses. We will do takeout and cook in the unit since we will have a kitchen. We have been fully vaccinated so we also will drive to visit our daughter out of state and our son in another city. We will keep it to just the immediate family. CDC seems to think this is ok, if the unvaccinated people you visit are not at high risk and you keep the group small. I want to hug my kids. Badly.

I admittedly am not following much in Europe right now, but what on earth is happening over there with lockdowns again?

Italy is going on a national lockdown again. Over Easter weekend, which why are they waiting? Just to make sure no spread?

I admittedly am not following much in Europe right now, but what on earth is happening over there with lockdowns again?

Italy is going on a national lockdown again. Over Easter weekend, which why are they waiting? Just to make sure no spread?

Many countries in Europe are experiencing another surge tied to the British variant. They have not been quick to vaccinate and so they are experiencing an uptick in cases. Italy and France's numbers have increased quite a bit over the past 2 weeks.

Many countries in Europe are experiencing another surge tied to the British variant. They have not been quick to vaccinate and so they are experiencing an uptick in cases. Italy and France's numbers have increased quite a bit over the past 2 weeks.

Are they having issues with access to vaccines, or the general public doesn't want to get vaccinated?

Are they having issues with access to vaccines, or the general public doesn't want to get vaccinated?

It's mostly a supply issue, coupled with turf wars over which country should be getting how many doses and from which mfr. There are fights over exports and imports and it's really ugly. Also, they're primarily relying on AZ's vaccine which keeps coming up with possible issues such as efficacy in older people, and now blood clots. So countries stop giving it while they investigate all this stuff.

The vaccine rollout in most of the EU has been really, really slow. France and Italy have about 1/3 of our vaccination rate so far. I don't know what the hold up is; I've seen some people mention vaccine hesitancy as a factor, but I have a hard time believing that it could be a big enough factor to keep the vaccination rate in the single-digits. I assume there has to be some administrative or supply issue as well.

I've been watching the numbers with interest because my daughter is planning to study abroad next summer ('22) and the plan was to make a family trip of it at the start or end of her program, but at the rate they're going, I'm a little worried about whether or not they'll be open to international tourism in time.

It's mostly a supply issue, coupled with turf wars over which country should be getting how many doses and from which mfr. There are fights over exports and imports and it's really ugly. Also, they're primarily relying on AZ's vaccine which keeps coming up with possible issues such as efficacy in older people, and now blood clots. So countries stop giving it while they investigate all this stuff.

The EU pooped the bed- notice England doesn't have any of these issues.

Yeah, I noticed the "all for one, we'll make sure the entire EU is distributed fairly" went out the window the minute the vaccines became available. I feel badly for the manufacturers who are just trying to adhere to the contracts they entered into and yet they're getting accused of nationalism, subjected to all kinds of export regulations, and generally dragged through the mud because the individual countries now are all, "me, me, me!" Fairness is gone and now it's like the Hunger Games over there.

I really hope we get a huge percentage of Americans vaccinated by the summer so we don't experience another round of this in the fall/winter. Europe is really struggling. I just can't imagine when it'll be safe to travel there again. I just read about a "Covid Free" train in Italy that they're planning on running between tourist destinations like Rome, Florence and Venice. I mean...I get it. I'm all for testing for flights when traveling internationally. But when we travel to Europe we use trains to get between cities. The idea that we'd have to continue testing between cities....etc, even with vaccines...ugh.

It was reported today the reason why Louisiana opened up eligibility to 16 and up with underlying conditions was because hundreds of appointments per day at a hospital in Baton Rouge were going unfilled. The change in eligibility this week opened it up to 70-80 percent of our population over 16 this week. Now the state ranks as one of most open states when it comes to vaccine eligibility. Good to be among the top in something good.

That makes sense. I read that one of our mass vaccination sites was having a 20% rate of no shows so they started a walk up line to adjust for it. Between 100-300 shots a day are being given to people without appointments.

In our case, we haven taken cautious steps, trips to a beach bubble place, not seeing our kids in our cities/states. We are going to venture a bit more, weairing masks, washing hands, etc. We are going to WDW to try and use expiring DVC points in a few weeks, after the spring break period and before summer. We will drive so we can avoid the closeness in the airport, on the plane, and on WDW busses. We will do takeout and cook in the unit since we will have a kitchen. We have been fully vaccinated so we also will drive to visit our daughter out of state and our son in another city. We will keep it to just the immediate family. CDC seems to think this is ok, if the unvaccinated people you visit are not at high risk and you keep the group small. I want to hug my kids. Badly.
:hug: Same. March 7th marked one year since I saw or hugged my older DD. It’s been emotionally crushing. I keep trying to remind myself we’re headed toward the “finish line.” The good news is DD’s tier opens up on March 22nd and that tier has opened up here which means her friends have started receiving their vaccines. Three here so far and no doubt more to come. I would feel comfortable with her making a visit and seeing her friends at this point even if I haven’t gotten mine yet. Hell or high water I’m headed to Seattle this summer. I WILL be hugging my kid in the next couple of months.

:hug: Same. March 7th marked one year since I saw or hugged my older DD. It’s been emotionally crushing. I keep trying to remind myself we’re headed toward the “finish line.” The good news is DD’s tier opens up on March 22nd and that tier has opened up here which means her friends have started receiving their vaccines. Three here so far and no doubt more to come. I would feel comfortable with her making a visit and seeing her friends at this point even if I haven’t gotten mine yet. Hell or high water I’m headed to Seattle this summer. I WILL be hugging my kid in the next couple of months.
I like the come hell or high water. I feel the same.

DD25 got hers yesterday! She called me today to tell me her arm hurt a bit, but also that she needs EE&T surgery. Not scheduled yet, she will be scheduling it after April 1. I will be there with bells on, come hell or high water lol.

Sounds like you're being very smart and cautious to me....even with your vaccinations under your belt. Sounds like you're doing it right to me. According to the CDC, if your kids are of a certain age and healthy, it's ok to hug them. Hope you get to do that soon!

I'm not sure what/where we're going to go. I am legit dying to travel somewhere. We toyed around with renting a house somewhere...etc. But we live near the beach, we can paddle board in the river near us. In some ways it feels like this whole last year was a weird kind of "staycation"....with me initially working not at all, then way less (a bit more now)....and so I had plenty of time to make nice meals...etc. I want to get vaccinated and *go* somewhere. I don't want to cook. And I don't even need to do much other than look at the ocean, pool...spa....nice meals that someone makes for me....etc. I don't think it'll be Europe this year. I definitely don't think we'll take our paid-for South Africa trip. I don't know....toying with Cabo, maybe later this year. But I do fell like I'll go nuts if I don't go somewhere relatively soon.

Many colleges in the Northeast have canceled spring break for their students. I know my 2 who go to different schools will not have a spring break this year. Instead they get random Wednesdays off so that they will not go home. So mine will not be Spring Breaking this year.
I work at a large university and that is what they have done and my younger cousin is at a different area university and his situation is the same.

Biden announced last night that vaccines should be open to all adults by May 1. Over the next couple of weeks you are going to see a surge in weekly vaccine distribution. I would bet that the J&J vaccine starts going directly to doctor's offices for better ease in getting shots it arms. He also stated that updated guidance on travel will be coming soon. There is a lot of talk about a "Vaccine Passport". This seems to really be picking up steam. I would bet this gets implemented so that in order to travel you will need to have this passport. It would help open up everything and encourage everyone to get vaccinated. Airlines, hotels, bars, concert venues, etc. would all require the passport.

I don’t see a vax passport being used much domestically, imho, but the key use would be to open international travel. You can pretty much do anything domestically now without it and it’s hard to see them put more restrictions on industries hit so hard. The exception would be heavily regulated states like NY/CA. I wouldn’t expect TX, FL, etc to allow passports to be required for travel, concerts etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter