• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CAT9 MID SHIP on 2 or CAT 11 Deck 6 forward?

DOCLINGER

Earning My Ears
At the moment the cruise we are booked for has availability on deck 6 cat 11 should I try to change from Deck 2 Cat 9 trading location for size? Just looking for the inside scoop really. I am traveling with DW, and 3 DD's 6,8,9. The Cat 4 that was available was way overpriced. I plan to see if they will give a complementary upgrade when I get there, but I highly doubt that happening to the Cat 4 I need for the 5 of us.

We had deck 2 cat 9 conn. cabins for our family and LOVED it! The xtra room,
4' port holes, split bath rooms, smoother sailing, elevators less busy, etc. were very much enjoyed. Found it very convenient - made very easy access at ports, one floor up and you can dine. Enjoy!

Looking at the size of your family, it looks like you currently have two staterooms booked. It will be ALMOST impossible to have you upgraded to a category4, since you have two staterooms booked. I'd stay with the two staterooms you currently have, it will be MUCH more space than a categoy 4.

We've had both cat. 9 connecting and cat. 10 connecting. We honestly did not miss the porthole and the size was the same - which left more spending money!!! You cannot get connecting cat. 11's. With the kids the ages they are you really need connecting rooms then you leave the doors propped open (stateroom host will do that for you) and whala - a suite complete with 2 bathrooms and a separate "master bedroom".

DISNEY6:

Which Category 9 connecting rooms did you have. we have booked 2646-2648 for xmas 2003.

I'd love to know your thoughts about your cat 9 rooms as to noise, etc. Daves Tribute page and the passported list them in the noisy category, but some say it's for the noise from the adjoining room, but that is our group.

Also, was your porthole in cat 9 the 4 foot?

What did you like best or least about the rooms.

We are two adults & Two DD's, age 12 & 15. I opted for two rooms and no verandah, trading the verandah for privacy, space and TWO BATHROOMS.

I'd appreciate any and all thoughts

Jim

Last year we sailed in a Cat 9 deck 2. The room number was 2590 and listed a noisy room. We thought it was great and was pretty quiet.

This year we booked a cat 6 to try it out. If there isn't a huge benefit, we will be right back in a cat9 deck 2.

Enjoy your cruise!

Mickee

Love to hear your follow up comparison

Jim

Jim,
We had rooms 2094 and 2096. We cruised before Dave's noisy room list came out so I had no idea these were "noisy" rooms. Even after - I didn't know - not until the list came out. We didn't find them noisy. We were right across the hall from the laundry room but that didn't bother us. The most noise was from the couple fighting with their kids next to us! The porthole was huge and the kids LOVED it (they were 8, 4,2,1 at the time so we spent more time than usual in the room). They all sat in the window sill alot!

Our 2nd cruise we tried cat. 10's (2075 & 2077) and will definately do cat. 10's over cat. 9's again. The rooms were exactly the same but instead of a window you had the same size mirror. This time the kids were 10, 6,5,3 plus my sons best friend also 10). The boys spent some time in the room (ordering room service for lunch EVERY day!! - they thought that was the coolest thing!). The rest of us were hardly in the room at all so NOT worth the porthole IN OUR OPINION! We never felt cramped even with 7 of us in the two rooms - kept the doors open ALL THE TIME (but mine are younger than yours!) Liked the cheaper price - spent more on souvies!

This year it's only DH and me so we'll go for cat. 11. We don't need two bathrooms (or the split) and I personally could care less about the room - I just want to be on the ship! - and able to take my kids again next year!

Thanks Disney6

I ascribe to the old adage "get the cheapest room on the best ship".

I do like a porthole, though, so that is my "splurge".

When I was young, we would go back and forth to europe via liners, and in those days there was a "Class" system for dining room , entertainment, etc.

With the elimination of that, they only thing you get for extra money is a "nicer" (read: verandah, normally) room.

I want to spend as little time in the room as possible, and as much time on "the ship" as I can. For the price difference in the verandah, I figure I can cruise four times for the price of three.

As to noise, see above. I plan to exhaust myself so I fall fast asleep.

Being a father, I am genetically pre-programmed to sleep through all nocturnal sounds.

One things I miss about the old days, was the way they would call you to dinner on the old liners. a crew member would walk the halls with a little xylophone-looking things playin a song to call you to eat. very neat.

Jim

after 4 DCL cruises, we've found deck 2 cat 9's, near aft elevators to be a great location, and convenient to the venues we use most, PC AP, Flounders, and a straight shot up least used elevator bank to deck 9 bev station and topsiders....I recommend from first hand experience 2120, 2114, and 2108...all 3 of these staterooms are very very quiet...

We've done this twice with our 3 kids (17,14,11)once on a 7 and once on a 3 day. We will be doing it again in less than a month.

I am a big fan of deck 2 for several reasons.

Elevators going up are usually fairly empty.

The stairs are there to get us up to dinning and down to get off the ship.

The laundry room is on the same deck.

The split bathroom makes it easy for five people to get ready at once.

I work in a office with no windows, so I like having the porthole and watching the sea go by, without having to share a room with three messy kids who's idea of a great vacation is ordering room service when their parents are fast asleep.

We may try another deck in two years for the Silver Anniversary Cruise, but right now this works well for our family.

Your milage may vary.

Originally posted by Mickbee
Last year we sailed in a Cat 9 deck 2. The room number was 2590 and listed a noisy room. We thought it was great and was pretty quiet.

This year we booked a cat 6 to try it out. If there isn't a huge benefit, we will be right back in a cat9 deck 2.

Enjoy your cruise!

Wow - We just stayed in 2590 on the 5/24 cruise and stayed in a category 6 on a 3 night cruise 3 years ago.

I have to say we thought 2590 was a little noisy...there was a constant hum, BUT we didnt mind it at all & thought of it more as "white noise".

We are already planning our next 7 day cruise & will stick with the category 9. I did like the verandah, but to us, it was not worth the money. The picture window provided an awesome view & more than enough natural light.

Leslie :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter