• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cat in the Hat question for Earl/CoasterFEV

johare

DIS Veteran
Earl/CoasterFEV,

We've been going to IOA regularly since it opened and in all that time the 'Thing 1 & 2' characters which come out of the box have only had working legs ONCE. Every other time their legs are either hanging down or only one is working making them look like they are riding a scooter. How difficult could it possibly be to get this simple thing working properly?!? Maybe you should just put them on scooters!

We rode again last night and both Thing 1 & 2 were crippled as usual and a couple other simple effects were not working either... the piano didn't slip forward when it fell towards us and 'moms foot/leg' didn't pop out of the door at the end...it was already there. The pots and pans in the kitchen didn't slide down when the shelf fell either. There are also some effects which NEVER seem to work like the closet doors or Thing 1 (or is it 2) swing on the rope.

These may all sound like minor things, but they really cheapen the ride experience when you notice them and they don't seem like they are things which would cost a whole lot to correct.

The 'closet doors' and the wardrobe are, unfortunately, still part of an ongoing lawsuit with the company who designed these particular effects.

Other than that, I'll let Earl or IOATech tackle the issues of animation at CiTH.

I've only seen the closest doors open once. The doors at the end of the closet always seem to be open.

Sorry, no genuine info. I can say that several "doors" in a few attractions are not in show. Some never will be (2 sets in Ripsaw Falls, 1 in Bluto's Barges) because of timing issues which may pose a problem if the doors do not open on cue if a ride vehicle profiles in that zone. The effect is not worth the risk to ride, or vehicle stoppage in these cases.

are the doors allowing access to the ultrasaur area now working??.

The "show action doors" (as they are technically referred to) on the Jurassic Park River Adventure at IOA are, still out on rehab.

The doors were out for preventative maintenance and only scheduled to be out for a very brief period. Unfortunately, an outside company performing the maintenance made a small mistake which - although small - still takes a few extra weeks to repair.

Shouldn't only be (hopefully) about another 2 weeks to get the doors back in show.

hey CoasterFEV can i have that big C-Clamp holding the other door open when they are done????:jester:

how bout it IOATech. a MIB shoot-off for the "C" clamp. sounds fair to me:D :jester:

Rode CitH again yesterday. Thing 1 & 2 are still crippled as they come out of box. Cartwheeling Thing is broken. Fish's mouth doesn't work in one spot near beginning. Fish didn't spin in toilet. Piano didn't fall forward. Pots and Pans didn't slide down shelf. etc...

WHY IS UNIVERSAL letting this ride turn to CRAP?!? Seems like a few hundred dollars and a day or two of work is all it would take to correct 90% of these problems, but they don't bother.

First of all, I welcome the shoot-off challenge. The C-clamp is in no danger of losing its home!

As far as the Cat animations, I could fix them if they let me.

Seriously I can't speak for that area but these are questions I have also asked but I have no information to provide. Perhaps we should solicite a member of that crew for that nugget.

I went on Sunday and Thing 1 and Thing 2 were working when they came out of the box. The light didn't come on when the Cat in the Hat appeared at the beginning, though.

Perhaps IOATech can work some overtime? :)

If I am correct in assuming that IOATech works in the Toon/Nublar area, then he already is working overtime!

Check out how good the River Adventure animation, operation, and the boats have looked recently! (Other than the Show Action Doors, it's the best the ride has looked and run in quite a long time.)

Also the boat/height restriction modifications at Bluto's! (Techs are still having nightmares involving seatbelts)

Plus the conveyor replacements at Ripsaw! (oof - and these aren't easy to do either)

Trust me, the dino techs (as they are referred to) are already working plenty of overtime to keep these two islands in spectacular shape!

Barry, were Thing 1 and 2 REALLY working? The legs are supposed to move so it looks like they are running out of the box. Nearly every time I've seen them the legs just dangle there or are held in place with rubber bands. It's really funny when one leg is broken and it looks like they are riding a scooter.

It's nice that some of the other attractions are getting attention, but there is absolutely no excuse for the neglect seen at the CitH attraction. Heck, they are too lazy to even adjust the focus/convergence on the projectors which display the text on the walls in the queues. It would be different if this problems just occurred, however they've been there for the most part for nearly two years. How the heck could they EVER expect anyone to invest any time in getting Monkey McBean open when they can't even spend a few dollars and a little time on what they have.

Johare, you got 2 things coming out of the box!?!?!?! What are you complaining about, consider yourself lucky ;) Last time we experienced CitH, only Thing 2 (in scooter riding mode, I believe) came out of the box.

Are there more than just the closet (in & out) doors on this attraction? Seemed last time I notice other sets of doors - all of which were inoperable.

I think the bottom line is, only repeat guests like us notice these things and newbies don't know what they are missing. So, the urgency for repair gets reduced. I guess USF/IOA is still lucky that there is not an equivalent of WDWBLUES.COM out there yet!!

In any event, my daughter loves the attraction and the only thing she's noticed is the lack of Thing 1 coming out of the box. Which, it seems, has now been corrected.

My one gripe about the flow of the attraction is how quickly your couch gets turned away from the "stair climbing" scene. I'd like to get a better look at that.

You mean just the way the creative group left them. Rest assured there's nobody in the Tech Services group that's "too lazy". As far as McMonkey goes, it's not a time issue. It's a bad design from the original manufacturer that will not work. As it stands, it is cost prohibitive to create anything on the ride system for the capacity it would generate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter