Castaway Cay question

DMLAINI

DIS Veteran
How far is the walk from the ship to the family beach? We don't mind walking but my Mom is coming & we don't want her to overdo it. Also anyway Castaway Cay tips will be appreciated as we're first time cruisers

Yea the Tram is about a 100 yard walk from the ship. One suggestion is to take the Tram to the second family beach stop. Usually its a little less crowded on the beach. Also, Cookies 2 BBQ is right near there for lunch. If you want easy unique family fun, consider doing the Sting Ray encounter. You get to feed them and swim around with them in the lagoon. Completely safe and fun.

It's a 10-15 minute brisk walk from the ship to the family beach, depending on which part of the Family beach you're going to. That said, who wants to be brisk on Castaway Cay? The tram is a leisurely 5 minute walk from the ship, and will take you to whichever beach you like. I recommend that for your mom.

I've marked the approx' walking path and marked distances from approx gangway location in miles

The 0.14 point is the place where you can get on the tram ....

The point at 0.46 is the beginning of family beach area .... 0.57 is about the first/original play structure in the water.

the 'slides' are seen between the .67 and .73 notes - where you also can see the second 'family beach' tram stop.

the tram makes two family beach stops as others have mentioned. The first stop leaves a bit of a walk to the part of the beach NEAREST the ship ..... <hints or things to consider: 1) SOME will want to stay as close to the ship as possible cuz they plan to go back fast or often. 2) MANY will stop at the first chair they see, so the deeper you go . . . > The shortest distance from a tram to a section of family beach will be found at the second stop as others have also mentioned.

Last edited:
Sunscreen sunscreen and more sunscreen.
For sunscreen to work well it must be applied 30 minutes prior to going in the sun. So do the first round before leaving your cabin and then reapply often.
Towels are available as you get off the ship grab them there because they are not available on the island.
Lunch is served on the island but ends at 2:00. Pay attention to the time and don’t miss lunch.
Oh and sunscreen 😊😊

If your mom has mobility issues you can request a golf cart at the gangway. I've had to do this a few times and they were very accommodating.

Agree with the tram, it’s not a bad walk to the tram. Obviously it’s the Bahamas, so sunscreen and water! Bring a good shade hat, and be ready for a day of relaxation and fun when there! We can’t wait to go back!

I know @Capt_BJ did a great job with the mileage illustration but I thought I I would blow up a Google Earth pic to show that walk from the aft gangway to the the tram only.. It is about 701 feet. For me with mobility issues I've had in the past that is a tough distance to cover on foot specifically going back to ship. So like I said before request a cart from the family beach area to take your mom. I have used it mainly to get to Serenity Bay and back to the ship.

that walk from the aft gangway to the the tram only.. It is about 701 feet. For me with mobility issues I've had in the past that is a tough distance to cover on foot specifically going back to ship. So like I said before request a cart from the family beach area to take your mom.
I think it really depends on the OP's mom, and the OP should have an idea of what she can comfortably handle. I took my mother on a Disney cruise a few years ago, and she had no trouble getting to the tram. Walking to and from the beaches without the tram would have been too much for her, but walking between the tram and the ship was fine & she enjoyed the leisurely walk. It's very individual, what a person can handle.

It can be a little discouraging coming back on a hot day to see they moved the the gangway from aft to the midship's gangway. It adds another 400 feet to walk.

All of these pics have me pining for Castaway Cay.

tenor.gif

You would think they would keep the aft one open instead of mid... I'm sure there must be a reason.

I really enjoy being on the port side of the ship and watching the island operations. Beginning in the mid afternoon, especially after Cookies closes, they use the aft for putting things back on the ship. I assume they use the aft because it’s closest to the cargo storage areas.

It can be a little discouraging coming back on a hot day to see they moved the the gangway from aft to the midship's gangway. It adds another 400 feet to walk.

View attachment 581160

This always kind of annoyed us. We book aft rooms and after a long day, you have to walk the length of the ship twice just to get back to your room. I don't know the reasoning for it either.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter