Castaway Cay 5K

Got it, so basically a 5k is like running 12 laps on a track whereas the CC5K is like running 11. I guess if that bothers some for whatever reason that's fine. I just know there are not many people out there that can run the full 11, and if you do, it's a heck of a workout.

I was just offering some info and encouragement to a poster

But if you want to get technical.... It actually is a significant distance in such a short race. For instance, you state your time was 28 min... In a true 5k, it would have been around 30. Peace...

BTW... I am a marathon runner who is very technical with my runs, so I do the loop several times.

I was just offering some info and encouragement to a poster

But if you want to get technical.... It actually is a significant distance in such a short race. For instance, you state your time was 28 min... In a true 5k, it would have been around 30. Peace...

BTW... I am a marathon runner who is very technical with my runs, so I do the loop several times.

Oh absolutely in a race environment the details are very important because there you are keyed into the clock. So agree with you there. But from my experience with the CC5K it's not in that environment. Although I will say, if you do it in the summer months it can be a tough little run.

Oh absolutely in a race environment the details are very important because there you are keyed into the clock. So agree with you there. But from my experience with the CC5K it's not in that environment. Although I will say, if you do it in the summer months it can be a tough little run.

Yes... Correct. It is a light fun hearted race. The PP will have a great time...signing off...

What time does it start?
I have a 10am jetski reservation and I'm trying to figure out if I can sneak in the 5k.
(I can run/walk a 5k in 40min)

On the Fantasy last month, we met in the Walt Disney theater at 9 am and didn't start walking off ship til around 9:30.

I do wish the start line was closer to ship! I think you walk about half a mile before even starting the 5k. Has anyone measured that distance- ship to start line?

I do wish the start line was closer to ship! I think you walk about half a mile before even starting the 5k. Has anyone measured that distance- ship to start line?

Welcome to Disney races! You're walking AT LEAST that to the corrals for the official RunDisney races on WDW property.

They want to make sure everyone is warmed up before they start running. :)

I hadn't thought of that- that does make sense. I'm a 5k walker, so wouldn't have been injured by starting off at my basic pace, but I do see how that would be helpful for the runners.

When we tried the 5k at CC in January my daughter hadn't really prepped for the race before hand, so by the time we made it to the start line, she was already tired of it and instead of the 5k, we walked straight ahead and ended up on beach chairs instead. ... I guess better to learn she wasn't really ready then rather than in the middle of it- and having to walk as much back!

Not trying to be funny here, but what's the difference? If you run the whole 2.87 miles you're doing some good exercise and the extra .2 mile isn't going to make any noticeable difference.

It makes a difference if you're training for something else, or are taking it seriously *as a 5K*.

(ETA: one can take it seriously without taking the distance seriously. I'm referring to the distance, not the walk/jog/slog/run itself. Because the question of why it matters was asked, and it does matter to some!)

Welcome to Disney races! You're walking AT LEAST that to the corrals for the official RunDisney races on WDW property.

Totally. :)

They want to make sure everyone is warmed up before they start running. :)

I hadn't thought of that- that does make sense. I'm a 5k walker, so wouldn't have been injured by starting off at my basic pace, but I do see how that would be helpful for the runners.

If only it made sense! Instead, you walk a mile to get to a place where you stand for an hour and freeze. Or broil. Or nap. Or talk. Or are bored. :)

At least with the island run you do start almost immediately after the walk!

I just checked my garmin account. January 2015 when there for the Castaway Challenge it was .60 from ship to bathroom then .16 bathroom to start. But .85 from the finish back to the ship. Not sure what happened there LOL.

Last edited:
Hey you all, didn't want to start controversy. Just wanted info on the start/finish line. So the route is from the bike rental, down the runway to Serenity Bay, back to the loop and back to the finish. Do you do the loop twice? Wow, that seems longer than expected. What happens if you just do the loop once? Then go to the finish line? Hoping to enjoy a little time on the beach at Serenity Bay Beach.

Hey you all, didn't want to start controversy. Just wanted info on the start/finish line. So the route is from the bike rental, down the runway to Serenity Bay, back to the loop and back to the finish. Do you do the loop twice? Wow, that seems longer than expected. What happens if you just do the loop once? Then go to the finish line? Hoping to enjoy a little time on the beach at Serenity Bay Beach.
Yes, twice around the loop, once on the way out to SB, once more on the return, so it's bike rental, down the runway to the bike loop, down the runway to SB, and back in reverse order. If you just do the loop once, you shorten the run/ walk by what I would think might be 3/4 of a mile or so. Someone with GPS data will probably provide a more precise figure.

Bike rental start, into loop, exit loop, down runway to Serenity Bay, back down runway and into the loop again, and back to the bike rental to finish. Loop is twice. I have seen people only do the loop once.

Nothing bad happens if you don't do the loop twice. That was my point earlier. The loop seems long, especially since it seems never-ending

Hey you all, didn't want to start controversy.

No one is acting like there's controversy. We're just answering specific questions. It's just facts. Not negativity.

FWIW I don't think the loop is endless. It's a big circle. Relatively pretty. And you don't do it twice immediately in a row.

If you're training to do 5k might as well do close to 5k, I think. :)

This was my track from Garmin, for reference. I clocked .7 miles from the ship to the start.

Attachments

• Screenshot_CC5k.png
    Screenshot_CC5k.png
    291 KB · Views: 8

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter