Castaway Cay 5K First Timer Support Thread

I did CC5K in August. I had just finished my 4th week of C25K. In fact, the morning of the cruise I went for a run in cocoa beach. 8am and the heat and humidity was brutal. I barely made the last 5' running leg.

We were on the Dream and it was a double dip. I figured I go for the first day and maybe I would do the second run as well.

When we met, I felt like a fish of a different pond. The majority were talking about their half or full marathons, or worse, not talking and just stretching. In the end a family with 2 college kids came in and the parents were joking about being the last ones as they would walk it.

In the end, it took me 42' - I did a C25K plan and then walked and run another 5' to the finish line. The humidity was brutal, but all the water stations placed around helped tremendously.

So I wasn't the last one, nor the first one. In fact, I noticed a few actually did a 10k run. The CMs were there at the end (one actually ran it) and helped taking a picture of me finishing it. They did wait a bit longer for a few more folks.

Oh, and no medals. They discontinued them and they say they will introduce new ones.

Finally, have someone else get the CC5K shirt for you, or else, you won't find sizes. Or, wait till later in the day when they will replenish for the next cruise from the back.

Regarding 12+, they could not register anyone under, but they said it was up to the parent, but to be conscious about the heat.

In the end, it took me 42' - I did a C25K plan and then walked and run another 5' to the finish line. The humidity was brutal, but all the water stations placed around helped tremendously.

By C25K plan I assume you mean one of the daily podcasts? Which one did you use?

I'm thinking it would be very helpful to use one of the podcasts for my run. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info and congrats on finishing!

Wendy&Grumpy said:
By C25K plan I assume you mean one of the daily podcasts? Which one did you use?

I'm thinking it would be very helpful to use one of the podcasts for my run. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info and congrats on finishing!

C25K is "couch to 5K"
I've gone one (long ago) and basically it's a training plan to slowly work up from walking half an hour to running a 5k (3.1 miles.)

C25K is "couch to 5K"
I've gone one (long ago) and basically it's a training plan to slowly work up from walking half an hour to running a 5k (3.1 miles.)

Yes, I know what C25K is, thanks. I'm on week 7 myself.

PP said s/he "did a C25K plan and then walked and run another 5' to the finish line."

I'm assuming s/he meant s/he listened to one of the daily podcasts from C25K during his/her Castaway Cay run and I was asking which one. :goodvibes

I did the Run5k app to train for the CC5k that I did on our June 2nd 8-Nighter out of NYC. It definitely helped that I live in TX so I was used to running in the heat and humidity b/c CC is definitely hot and humid, even though the run is in the AM.

Good luck to all of you training to run the CC5k! If I can do it, I know you all can do it too! Since doing it, I've started the Run10k app, but it's been slow going. My friend and I are thinking of running the Food & Wine Half in `13, so hopefully this will help me start to prepare. & If the same friend and I sail on the Magic in Jan., we'll run the CC5k together on that cruise. It'll be interesting to compare the weather on CC for June and Jan. Hopefully it won't be quite so hot and humid in January. ;)

Good luck & keep running! :)

Back in August I started c25k with the hopes of running the CC5k on our Feb 9th Fantasy Cruise. I got 4 weeks in and get really sick (there is a bad flu/upper respiratory infection bug going around). I was so drained from the bug that I haven't been to the gym since the 1st week of Sept. I am just finally starting to feel back to normal and finally getting over whatever I had. I am starting up again with c25k (at week 1) this coming Monday. I am very much looking forward to it! My goal is to finish the CC5K in under 30 minutes. Not a huge goal I know, but one that I personally would be proud of.

I'd love to run the 5K when we cruise (whenever that is, lol). This may be a dumb question, but is there childcare available on Castaway Cay? I'm a single parent, and my kids are totally NOT runners so having them run with me won't work.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Also, I've seen a post that mentioned brutal heat. Is it always brutally hot/humid in mid-August? Ugh, I really wanted to run but maybe the heat will be a deal-breaker.

I did the CT5K several years ago and got addicted to running. I've ran quite a few 5K's since then and plan to do my first Disney run on our cruise in 2weeks, Oct13th.

Great job on the CT5K, running isn't hard. If you stick with it, which I hope you do make sure you take care of your legs. Stretching is very import. I'm learning the hard way that if you plan to continue running you need to make sure you work all your leg muscles out. I'm in my 4th week of Physical Therapy working on leg strength. So take care of yourself when you run!

Anyone else going to running that week?

nancy drew said:
I'd love to run the 5K when we cruise (whenever that is, lol). This may be a dumb question, but is there childcare available on Castaway Cay? I'm a single parent, and my kids are totally NOT runners so having them run with me won't work.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Also, I've seen a post that mentioned brutal heat. Is it always brutally hot/humid in mid-August? Ugh, I really wanted to run but maybe the heat will be a deal-breaker.

Compared to Chicago, yes it's brutally hot. Compared to Houston and Florida its not terrible.

Hi there- Great thread! We are going on our first Disney cruise on the Dream, 11/11. I may be interested in the CC5k. It would be my first 5k as well. Can someone please tell me some of the basics, like - do you sign up in advance, is there a fee, what time does it start, are the kids' clubs open at that time too? Thanks so much! :)

Hi there- Great thread! We are going on our first Disney cruise on the Dream, 11/11. I may be interested in the CC5k. It would be my first 5k as well. Can someone please tell me some of the basics, like - do you sign up in advance, is there a fee, what time does it start, are the kids' clubs open at that time too? Thanks so much! :)

Show up that morning.
It's free (but the t-shirt is not)

what I used to train for my first 5K. Free plans and information on running:
http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/first5K.htm

I am hoping to do it on the Oct 21-25 cruise. I have recently lost close to 50 pounds eaten more healthy and this has been my goal. I can not run very far as I do more walking than running. I just want to do it for me and the medal.

The CC5K also inspired me to start a running program. I plan on running it on our Fantasy cruise in March. My sister will be joining me.

I was completely out-of-shape so started with C25K. I'm quite amazed at how far I've been able to progress. If all goes well, we've (my sister and I) decided to celebrate my 40th b-day year by running the Tinkerbell Half-Marathon at Disneyland in 2014.

HaliGirl said:
The CC5K also inspired me to start a running program. I plan on running it on our Fantasy cruise in March. My sister will be joining me.

I was completely out-of-shape so started with C25K. I'm quite amazed at how far I've been able to progress. If all goes well, we've (my sister and I) decided to celebrate my 40th b-day year by running the Tinkerbell Half-Marathon at Disneyland in 2014.

That's cool. The Princess Half inspired me to start running. I actually ended up doing halfs here in Texas and the cc5k but looking at the logistics of the Princess half (I do not want to stand around in a pen for one or two hours before a half, that's ridiculous when the Livestrong half in Austin doesn't require near that early of a start but serves nearly as many runners.)

HaliGirl said:

Tinker bell half is my dream!!

FYI, on our August cruise they were strict about age...I want to say it was 12 or 13 and up. My 9 year old wasn't allowed to participate.
Oh, this is so disappointing. DS6 is going to be crushed! He ran the Neverland 5K over Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend in January and he just ran the Carsland 5K last month. He will have a very hard time understanding that he's not allowed to run a Disney 5K. He's fast, I can barely keep up with him.

I am training for my first Castaway Cay 5k for June 2013. I'm glad that there is this thread to go to :-)

FYI, on our August cruise they were strict about age...I want to say it was 12 or 13 and up. My 9 year old wasn't allowed to participate.

That is very upsetting, my daughter who will be 9 when we go wanted to run with me. Since it'll be just us two going I guess I have to cross that off my list :sad1:

FAIREST1OFALL said:
Oh, this is so disappointing. DS6 is going to be crushed! He ran the Neverland 5K over Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend in January and he just ran the Carsland 5K last month. He will have a very hard time understanding that he's not allowed to run a Disney 5K. He's fast, I can barely keep up with him.

My son is exactly in the same situation. I figure he'll walk down with me and try to run with me. (DS6 does our local 5ks)
DH will be there to watch cheer. If they pull my banditting kid from running unregistered, we'll both drop out. If he does run unregistered, I'm happy to give him my bib/etc afterwards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter