Castaway Cay 5K First Timer Support Thread

Ooh, when are you going? The "this is new" link in my sig is my pre-cruise-journal-of-sorts, FYI.

If my son can separate himself from our cousins at that point, I'm hoping they'll let him run with me (and maybe DH if his achilles issue calms down). But I'm thinking he'll be with his cousins and will refuse to leave them. :)

We are going in August! Right now we are booked on a 7 night Eastern on the Fantasy, though I might downgrade to a 4 night Dream if I get scared of the cost and the possible seasickness.

Thanks for the head's up on the new pre-trippie! ;) Heading over there now!!!!

Still wondering about child care, though. If the race starts at 10, and the kids are in childcare on the ship, it would be a big waste of time to drop them in childcare, go run, go get them, then go back to CC. But if childcare is open on CC, that makes it so much easier.

Does anyone know whether childcare is available on CC during the 5K?

boogabuzz said:
I plan on running it next fri!! It will probably be struggle since I haven't had too much time to prepare. I did my first 5k back in May. I finished in 43 min...I ran most of it, but as you can tell it was a fast walk pace. Oh well, better than not doing it at all!! I'm looking forward to the CC 5k, should be a good time!

I will be there too. I also haven't had much time to train and I am definitely not in shape. I will probably walk a good bit of it. I am using it to help me plan for the Expedition Everest Challenge next May.

Are kids allowed to run? I'm seeing people post about their kids joining them. I thought they couldn't....please tell me I'm wrong! My 6.5 year old is a runner and has run several 5ks. He's heartbroken that he cannot join mom on the cc5k.

FAIREST1OFALL said:
Are kids allowed to run? I'm seeing people post about their kids joining them. I thought they couldn't....please tell me I'm wrong! My 6.5 year old is a runner and has run several 5ks. He's heartbroken that he cannot join mom on the cc5k.

Ages 12+ on the Dream last week.

Well I just ran it last Friday. Goal accomplished. Here are some pics. You can also check my blog to read how I did on the race afatrunner.blogspot.com

The ship arriving at Castaway Cay...
2012-11-30084738.jpg

We were told to be at The Tube at 9:15am. There we signed up and were given our bibs. We were the first group to be allowed off the ship.

2012-11-30092812.jpg

From there we walked to the starting line. We were shown the route on the map and we were on our way!

2012-11-30095744.jpg

I don't have pics of the race for obvious reasons. But here is the medal they gave me and the shirt I bought,

2012-12-03190550.jpg

2012-12-03190757.jpg

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask. :cool1:

Thanks for posting this. Not sure if I can run 5K but I'm planning to walk my first 5K on next cruise. :laughing:

It does fall in line with previous reports that Fantasy has medals and Dream does not. :(

Tip for those that are running: Don't forget to wear sunscreen! The day started out overcast but the sun came out in the middle of the race and beat down pretty hard.

That stinks. How about Magic? I have my eyes on that medal. :rolleyes:

FAIREST1OFALL said:

You do have to be over 12, but I saw a couple of kids who had to be like 7 or 8 running with their parents. They just couldn't sign up to run was what their mother told me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter