Cass, Nancy & Chuck - September 2022 Disney Wonder Alaska Cruise - This time without the covid!

We had a Made as our server on the Dream in July. I wonder if it was the same guy? He was good though and we had issues where he was without an assistant part of the time, so he took up the slack.

Loving your day! I'm a bit like Nancy and Chuck, where I know I packed something, it's just the where is it.

Oh another one I’m in too. :tigger:

Yay! :dogdance:
I always enjoy your trip reports so thanks for writing another.

Glad to hear the food was better this go around! Gives me hope it was just a one off thing and not a new normal for DCL. Maybe they had a bunch of new crew to get up to speed.

Interesting too to hear how the different part of the Alaska season makes such a difference.
That's what I'm thinking, maybe with the Wish sailing, they stole the best ones for that ship and are training new kitchen people?

I didn't think there would be much difference but there really was! ::yes::

8:30? Really!?! What a couple of drips! 😂

Right? :rolleyes1

I'm here! I can't wait to read all about it!

Glad you're here! :flower:

Nancy here…. part of the Cass, Chuck and Nancy trio on this trip. If I compared that $30 burger in Canada to our purchases at the Hilton in Chicago, I wouldn’t have thought twice about it.

The night before our flight to Vancouver we stayed at the Hilton Airport in Chicago. We had no idea that lunch and dinner would be next to impossible since all the restaurants are AFTER tsa. We didn’t have valid boarding passes yet.

We ended up at the snack bar at the hotel and spent $23 not once but TWICE on two bags of chips, a soda and an iced tea!
Yup, $46 on four chip snacks and four beverages! Yikes!!! Lesson learned though.

May I also mention a little sticker shock at the purchases at Wendy’s and the fish sandwich place too! $20 for a fish Sammie???? I was going through my pretty Canadian money quickly. Lol!!!!

Well, unfortunately, those are typical airport prices. I hate that they rip you off like that though. >:(

It was a good sammie though and cheaper than your chips and drinks in Chicago. :rotfl:

I am so glad you decided to write this report. We have cruised Alaska in May and June. I am curious to read your impressions of Sept, so far, wet, windy and cloudy. :)

I truly was not going to write one, hence the total lack of photos but I figured why not, we had a lot of fun, might as well document it. :thumbsup2

Yup, that pretty much sums up this cruise...wet, windy and cloudy! :laughing:

I love DeDutch! Haven't been in a while (we have one maybe 10 minutes away)....think I may need to rectify that. Is DeDutch not in AB?

A rainy day in Vancouver...we have NOT had many of those lately. I'm trying to remember rain......

I think we have one in Edmonton but we don't talk about Edmonton. :rotfl2:

I was happy about the rain, I wanted it in July and never got it.

Hmmmm. Maybe I will get a wheelchair on my next cruise. LOL.

It looks like a wonderful day. I am still not sure I would be brave enough to try the poutine. What I have tried was so gross. It was in Canada, but from KFC. LOL

I ain't pushing you around! :rotfl:

Oh helllll no! Whatever KFC is offering, it is NOT poutine! :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

Real poutine is delicious! Kira thinks it's a food group. :rotfl2:

OMG please don't judge all poutine by KFC standards :rotfl2:Eventhough we are far from Quebec, there are lots of great places to get poutine in Vancouver.

Right? Nancy & Chuck saw that they had poutine on the menu at Wendy's, I had to talk them out of it! That is NOT poutine! :laughing:

We had a Made as our server on the Dream in July. I wonder if it was the same guy? He was good though and we had issues where he was without an assistant part of the time, so he took up the slack.

Loving your day! I'm a bit like Nancy and Chuck, where I know I packed something, it's just the where is it.

Oh really? Hmmm, I don't have a photo of him, he might show up in some video, I will have to check. He is rather tall and very skinny!

Nancy did remind me a little of you. :rolleyes1:lmao:

Oh what a lovely surprise to welcome you all in the cabin. That husband of yours is so thoughtful :love: And aren't you a smarty pants with your makeshift curtain? You're like Macguyver :rotfl2:

Swimming in September at night....that's some dedication right there ::yes::

Sorry to hear people were buying up all the merch....ugh, that irks me to no end.

Following along for another adventure. :lovestruc Thanks for taking the time to do another trippie. I'm interested in the differences as we are still on the fence about the time of year to do Alaska. Pros and cons, but I think the weather would be a make or break for us as we are so used to the warm temps in south Texas. :teeth:

September 6th

Today was our first At Sea day and I don't have many photos to be honest. I have more footage for the two videos I made but since I wasn't planning on writing this report in the first place, you will just have to get what I give you, people. :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:

Actually, what I have done is taking some screenshots from my videos, so at least there's some kind of flow to this day. :thumbsup2

Let's start by posting this one that I took the evening before that I forgot to post. I was trying to capture the moon but you also can see our neighbour's verandah in this one. Because the dividers are slanted, there's not a huge amount of privacy. We tried to stay away from that side, so as to not be nosey but there were times when I wanted a certain photo so I went over, took my pics and then came back more to the middle of our verandah. The only time we noticed our neighbours actually using their verandah was on glacier day.

62.jpg

Not the greatest photo but we could see the sunrise from our verandah. The really nice thing about our verandah was that we could see on one side of the ship but also behind us. This was really great for some of the scenery we saw. ::yes::

61.jpg

As we left our room for to head down to breakfast, our room host, Pande, was making up the room next door, so I was sneaky and took a photo. :rolleyes: It was a totally different room layout from ours. I think I liked ours better because my bed was next to the verandah instead of right at the door.

61b.jpg

We had breakfast at Triton's today. The only pic I have is of Nancy's egg scramble. I ate the same thing as every other trip to a sit-down breakfast on a Disney ship, so really I didn't need to document my food again. :laughing:

61a.jpg

We then went to the first lecture given by Jim Clement. It was about whales mostly. It was good but we spotted more than person dosing off. :lmao:

63.jpg

We had to leave early in order to see the last part of the Shopping talk in order to get our free bracelets. This time it was in the Walt Disney Theatre and not the Buena Vista Theatre. Another clue telling me that this sailing had more guests than the July one. :rolleyes:

64.jpg

I also watched a few of the lectures that were on the TV, I much preferred these ones actually.

65.jpg

We spent most of this day on deck 4 watching for whales. We were not disappointed! We saw so many! Chuck was so happy! :lovestruc I have lots of video of them but they don't turn out so well in a screen shot.

65a.jpg

61c.jpg

Eventually we made it to the narrow passage just north of Pitt Island, B.C., where the ferry between Port Hardy and Prince Rupert goes. Other than Tracy Arm, this was the best scenery of the entire cruise. It was so beautiful, despite all of the rain we would get that day. You're so close to land on both sides. :love:

61d.jpg

We had spotted many whales on deck 4 but it started really raining so we headed back up to our room. We had gotten some lunch on the way back up and ate it in the room. Chuck was keen on seeing more whales so he braved the weather. :teeth:

66.jpg

They changed the look of the Time Zone Change graphic on the TV!

67.jpg

It used to look more like this....

767.jpg

The sucky thing about this verandah is that it offered zero protection from the elements. Unlike regular verandahs, you were not sheltered from the rain at all.

61e.jpg

When we got our lunch from Pete's, I spotted Luis. :wave2:

61f.jpg

While this temperature gage claims it's 15ºC, it most definitely did not feel like 15! More like 8ºC I would say.

61g.jpg

Back to deck 4, I would pop over from side to side and report back to Nancy and Chuck if I saw something more spectacular on the other side. :p

They were having the best day! They don't care for ports or excursions, they would be happy if every day was like today or the next day.

61h.jpg

68.jpg

We spotted the coolest thing that afternoon...heli-logging! I didn't even know this was a thing but we would see a helicopter go into the forest and bring out dead trees and plop them into the ocean. It was fascinating to watch!

68a.jpg

This is where Nancy and I spotted that huge whale right next to the ship! Timing is everything on this cruise, you just had to be at the right spot and the right time and you could really luck out. We were super bummed that Chuck missed this one, it was so close to the ship, I thought it was actually touching it and it came out half-way, I would say.

This is NOT my photo, I stole it from our FB group. I think this might have been the whale that we saw that afternoon. I just wanted to post it to show you how close it was and the one that Nancy and I saw was actually even closer! :worship:

76b.jpg

Nancy had never played trivia on her cruises so she wanted to watch me in action. It was Pixar trivia and it was in the D-Lounge which was completely filled! I told her that I'm pretty good at Pixar trivia but there were so many people there and some people are super duper Pixar experts, so don't get your hopes up. :rolleyes:

We ended up winning by 1 point. :goodvibes

And it looks like they were still out of their Mickey Medallions thankfully, and we ended up with this nice linen DCL bag. :thumbsup2

69.jpg

Just outside of D Lounge, heading back to our room, Nanc and I spotted Mickey coming. I told her she should pose for a photo with him and I think she just assumed he would stop for her but he totally didn't and he just kept on going right past her!

She has a spectacular sense of humour and told me that he totally dissed her. :rotfl2:Then for the rest of the cruise, every time we saw him, she would mutter something like...There goes that @$$#@&% Mickey!" :lmao::lmao::lmao:

We got back just in time to see one of the most gorgeous rainbows I have ever seen! :worship:

70.jpg

71.jpg

Both ends of it literally ended in the ocean, it was GORGEOUS!!! 😍

72.jpg

It was now time for dinner in Tiana's. Our table was only three tables away from the stage, we couldn't have had better seats! And thankfully, they have since turned down the volume of the music here! Thank God for small miracles! :thumbsup2 :listen:

73.jpg

74.jpg

Made was able to grab me two of my favourite potatoes and I was a happy camper. Food all around was so good! Nancy is gluten-free and hers were more hit or miss, either she loved or hated what she got. Chuck and I were pretty happy with almost everything we ordered. 🤤

75.jpg

I peeked into the Atrium on my way up to the pool that night...too busy for me. :crazy2:

76.jpg

This was more my style. 😍:worship:

It was super windy and we had rough seas that night. The captain had warned us the night before that things would start to get choppy just before the main dinner seating and he was spot on! The water was sloshing about in the pool, just how I like it. :hyper:

61i.jpg

Two glorious hours later....I spotted this new fancy screen saver on the Funnel Vision TV. I saw the one on the Wish in all of the maiden voyage videos and wondered if the other ships would get similar ones. It looks much better in video form though. I do have the two Alaska videos from this trip done already but if you haven't seen them yet, I would say wait until after I'm done this trip report to go watch them. I will post a link to them when I am done with this report. ;)

61j.jpg

Back to the room just after 10, finished the night off with our usual routine. :goodvibes

What a spectacular day! :thumbsup2

Last edited:
That video of Mickey walking by Nancy is hilarious! I am pretty sure he didn't see her and was looking at you, but still funny!

I'm blind at spotting whales and never saw one from the ship when I sailed Alaska. So many would point and say "there's a whale" and I would look and see nothing. LOL.
You guys had an awesome whale day!

Ohhh, that taxi ride from the Fairmount to the Metropolitan Hotel! Man, I thought I was a chatty one but this guy gave me a run for my money! It really got weird when he offered to send you his clients. I mean, he said he owned a travel agency with his brother and wanted to send clients to you!! I bet his brother wouldn't be too happy if that was all really true anyway. I think the guy was a smitten kitten with you instead. :cutie:

De Dutch! Good Lord, that pannekoeken I had was amazing!! I wasn't sure how gluten free would taste but it was absolutely delish! It reminded me of my mom's palacintas.

LaBelle Patate! My oh my. THAT'S what poutine is supposed to taste like? I guess the "Canadian Poutine" I had at the Wisconsin State Fair a few years ago was really just a terrible knock off. La Belles was so so good. I'm glad you realized they were only open until 7 or we would've totally missed getting poutine at all on this trip. Chuck and I still talk about it. 8-)

Pregnant? Who's pregnant? Whahahahahaha!!! I wanted to do my part of the trip planning besides doing the online check in for all of us at the 30 day mark. Imagine, me of all people, being about to accomplish that then. That NEVER happens! I thought I'd get the Health Questionaire done so that you didn't have to do that too yet and I was so adamant that I clicked the correct box early that morning of the cruise! Once I realized I did indeed tap on the wrong one, I believe a few profanities escaped from my mouth. :headache:🤣

It was nice that we got to drop off our luggage at the port by 9:00 since we read somewhere that it wasn't open until 10 or so. Then we even got to leave the port area. That doesn't really (or shouldn't) happen at Port Canaveral. I guess Canada is just more trusting than the USA is.

Our decorated cabin was so sweet of Rob and Kira to do for us. And thanks again for letting us take home ALL the decorations, beach blanket and the Platinum giftie. That curtain idea was ingenious!!!! Leave it to you to come up with that idea.

Yes, I petered out early at night but I honestly never slept that well as I did on that cruise. The room was vibrating a lot at times but it lulled me to sleep. If I get 3 hours of sleep a night at home, this cruise made up for some of that. I think I got at least 7 hours every night...except the last one. :)

Loved watching you at work during the Trivia games we went to. I did have one answer, Rusteze, so I believe I earned half of one of those handles on the tote bag. Remember that chick who was googling all the answers and then acted all smart and smug? Glad to see that she lost anyway and that our cabin neighbors actually won that one instead!

Don't even get me started on Mickey. I've since stripped any and all "Mickey" stuff from my home! 🤣

I have to add that the Gluten Free options were much better on my October cruise last year. Maybe it was because we were on the first 7 nighter since Covid and the cruise had only about 1000 passengers on it. They were able to make me anything on the menu in a gluten free option. Not so much this time.

Also wanted to add that we were not able to get a Palo brunch ressie before the cruise since we booked so late. We were also not able to get one once on board by going to the desk that day either. We were however called on Glacier Day at 9:00 for a 10:00 ressie that very same day. Ummmm, nope. We actually just ate breakfast 2 minutes ago. Oh well. Next time.

That video of Mickey walking by Nancy is hilarious! I am pretty sure he didn't see her and was looking at you, but still funny!

I'm blind at spotting whales and never saw one from the ship when I sailed Alaska. So many would point and say "there's a whale" and I would look and see nothing. LOL.
Ohhh, if he ONLY knew how I speak of him now. Whahahahahaha

Awesome start to your cruise. So glad that the food was better for you this time. Still jealous about all your whale sightings, lol (presuming you saw my reply on your other TR. :rotfl2:

September 7th

Today is our Glacier day! :woohoo:

The weather was perfect! A little cool but not too windy and no rain!

97a.jpg

We ate at Triton's again for breakfast and this time I asked for a table by the window and I was so glad we did! It wasn't the best window but we got to see a couple dozen whales! Chuck was so happy, he was like a little kid in a candy store. It was so fun to watch. :lovestruc

76c.jpg

After breakfast, we hurried out to deck 4 and spent the next hour or two watching tons of whales and dolphins. The water was like glass, so it was super easy to spot them. Honestly, I wish we had skipped breakfast that morning and just camped out on deck 4 the entire time. It was that amazing! :worship:

76a.jpg

We had no idea which Arm we were heading into it. I learned on my July cruise that the captain makes a last-minute decision as to which one we go down. Just as we headed up to deck 10, Captain Thord announced that we were heading for Endicott Arm.

We headed to the very front of the ship where it was very cold but we put our big girl panties on (and hoods!) and braved it for the scenery. At this point, I recognized the area and knew we were actually heading into Tracy Arm. :hyper:

Captain was smoking something. :rolleyes::smokin:

77.jpg

I marked the two Arms on the Marine Traffic app screenshot I took, so that you could see just how close both Arms are to each other.

97e.jpg

It was soooooo windy up on deck 10, not too many people were as brave or crazy as us but we wanted to watch as we entered. Just then, the wind stopped as we slowed down while the people on the first glacier excursion boarded their little boats. It was nice to get a little break from that chill. Then, we continued on in, as both excursion boats left ahead of us.

78.jpg

We had a funny moment just then, Spiderman appeared out of nowhere and was chatting with Nancy and then admired the scenery and then left. After we got back to the room, she was talking about it and said something like "Why would someone wear a costume of all days???!!!" :rolleyes2:lmao:

I said "Nanc, that was Spiderman! THE Spiderman! The one that kids wait an hour to see in the Atrium!" :rotfl:

97b.jpg

Once we got into the Arm, we left the cold, windy deck 10 for the much warmer, much less breezy verandah. This was where the big verandah came in handy, we could see what was on the side of us, a little of what was coming up and all of what we had just passed! :worship:

79.jpg

80.jpg

We watched in awe for over an hour and then we started to get hungry. I suggested we get room service because none of us wanted to leave those majestic views for a single minute! We ended up ordering a ton, just like I had on the last cruise. :teeth:

We also ordered crackers so we could finally eat that cheese platter that we had wrapped up and stuck in the fridge. It was all delicious!

81.jpg

Once we got to the glacier, I suggested we head up to deck 10 again to see it because we wouldn't see it from our verandah for a while yet.

82.jpg

It was gorgeous! Even more gorgeous than it was in July because the left side was even more blue than the last time! Chuck and Nancy were in their happy place and we were joking around taking silly pics! What a great day this was. :cloud9:

83.jpg

Then someone was kind enough to take a group shot for us.

84.jpg

Once we started turning, we headed back to the verandah. When we got there, we had stopped. We stayed there for about 20 minutes without moving. I was starting to freak out a little because this is where I think we had hit that ice back in July, the one that broke our propeller and caused us to miss Ketchikan. I was looking down below and saw tons of ice! :scared:

97d.jpg

Eventually, we started moving again, not only did we start turning around so we could see Sawyer Glacier but we also started moving closer to it. I still can't believe how close we got to it! Way closer than July! As we moved towards it, you could see all the seals with your own eyes. If you used the binoculars, you could see them really well! It was so cool!!! And because we were closer, I was able to zoom in more with my iPhone! :love:

85.jpg

87.jpg

86.jpg

This was as cold as it got that day, about the same as July, I would say. The one difference is that we saw a lot of little bugs. Little gnat-type ones and they were super annoying! I don't recall see a single bug in July, the entire cruise. :confused3

97c.jpg

Look at those little babies!! 😍 All those dark spots are seals.

88.jpg

89.jpg

It's hard to appreciate the size of this sucker until one of those excursion boats pass by. ::yes::

90.jpg

Sadly, it was time to head back.

91.jpg

We were cruising by until before we turned that final corner of the Arm and then we stopped. I had put on the Bridge Cam channel on the TV and saw that we were parked right next to a gorgeous waterfall! Chuck and I boogied our butts down to deck 4, to see it up close. We were there for about 10-15 minutes, where I thought we were loading the second excursion boat passengers but we ended up backing up and turning around and then stopping for another 15 minutes to load them back on I think.

By the way, I discovered a cute little trick for waterfall pics on an iPhone. You have to take a Live Photo of it then click on "Live" at the top left of the photo and then check "Long Exposure".

It turns this....

92.jpg

Into this! pixiedust:

93.jpg

You're welcome! :teeth:

We turned around and now we could see the waterfall from our verandah.

94.jpg

Chuck and I had been spotting "pictures" in the rocks and mountains all day long. I showed him the bunny, that I had posted in my previous trip report and he spotted whole cities and towns, it was pretty cool. As we turned to leave, I yelled out to Chuck "DOG! I see a dog!!!"

Chuck saw it immediately, Nancy thought we were both drinking and smoking things we shouldn't be. :laughing:

95.jpg

Here's a time lapse of our journey down Tracy Arm. The battery died just as we reached the glacier. I was able to charge it enough, in the time we spent sitting there, just before turning around, to capture the rest though. :thumbsup2

I have to tell you about something I forgot to mention in the last post. The scenery had been so amazing up to this point. Sometime during our first At Sea day, we were out on the verandah and Chuck was in awe of it all, he had had loudly exclaimed "Are you seeing this, people!!!" :rotfl2:

This became the motto of the entire cruise, whenever we saw something beautiful or spotted some whales, we would repeatedly yell out "ARE YOU SEEING THIS, PEOPLE!" It was soooo funny! :rotfl:

Those words were said many times on this glacier day! :p

Reluctantly, we headed down to dinner. I don't have any pics but this was the Frozen menu with that delicious carrot soup! Yum! 🤤

When I saw our room host earlier that day, he had asked me how everything was so far. I told him that the mattress on the couch was a little firm and I asked if they had any toppers for it. Back in 2016, on the Magic, during a cruise I took with my co-workers, they had put an egg crate topper on the couch, which made it more comfortable. I wasn't sure if they even had them anymore but I asked Pande and he said he would check for me.

That night, after dinner, my bed was now a few inches higher with a foam topper added to it. :thumbsup2

96.jpg

It made it so much more comfortable but I had to be very careful because it was a tad smaller than the mattress and I would fall off of it if I wasn't perfectly placed in the middle. :laughing:

97.jpg

I spent my usual 2 hours in the pool and on the way back, I had noticed that they had banana ice cream!! This was Chuck's favourite!! I tried texting Nancy & Chuck to see if he would like some but they didn't see the text so I brought him a little one, just in case he hadn't seen it. I didn't want him to miss it! :banana:

It turns out that he had, indeed, spotted it earlier and had grabbed one but he was not opposed to having another one. :goodvibes

Sadly, this was the one and only day they had banana :sad1:

97f.jpg

After my shower, I had stepped out onto the verandah and saw that we were passing a town. I was fairly sure that this had to be Juneau. I had no idea you could see it from the ship! So cool! Sorry, this is a terrible photo but the best my iPhone could do. :cool:

97g.jpg

And that wraps up another phenomenal day! It was, by far, the best day of this cruise for all three of us. :cool1:

Last edited:
Glacier Day….. BEST CRUISE DAY EVER!!! Omg! I never saw anything so beautiful on any vacation except maybe seeing the Austrian Alps. And that’s a big maybe.

Chuck can’t stop talking about that gorgeous scenery! The way he threw his hands in the air and yelled “are you seeing this people” still has us giggling like two 8th graders.

He was pretty disappointed that there was only one day of the Banana soft serve. Mango and Blueberry showed up more than what seems to be a huge favorite (Banana) amongst many cruisers.

September 8th

Today is our Skagway day. If you're looking for a report that has reviews of excursions, look somewhere else because we didn't do any. :rolleyes:

For every port, we left the ship early, walked around the town and then came back.

We checked out the verandah this morning, Nancy said it looked like this boat was carrying a little mini-truck. Nope, that is a full-size truck. It's an optical illusion. :laughing:

98.jpg

It was chilly and windy today and it was supposed to rain most of the day, however, it rained only ended up raining a few drops the whole day.

99.jpg

Tomorrow is looking the same.

100.jpg

We watched the Quantum of the Seas sail in and park.

98a.jpg

We got ready for the day and then headed out to explore Skagway a little. I was excited since I had only seen maybe two blocks of it the last time. We didn't even get to go to the main street, Broadway, so this was my first time seeing any of it.

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

I took a group photo of another family and then they reciprocated. :thumbsup2

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

Somebody put googly eyes on a few of these gents. It was both funny and wrong. :rolleyes::laughing:

110.jpg

In every store we entered, we kept hearing people talk about all of this rain that was coming. I was actually excited for it but it never came. :sad1:

98b.jpg

111.jpg

I found some cute shirts on sale. I bought that Game of Thrones one for my hubby. Or shall I say, Game of Bones. I could easily replace Alaska for Alberta...gosh I hate Winter. :teeth: :cold:

I also bought him a cute Star Wars-y Alaska magnet since we didn't get to do any shopping at all on our last trip, as we were saving it for Ketchikan. :rolleyes2

112.jpg

113.jpg

This is the hotel that the Alaska lecture guy was telling us about on the last cruise. He had honeymooned here and returned many, many moons later, hoping to stay there again but it was no longer being used as a hotel, instead he had to buy a ticket for a ghost tour. :laughing:

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

There are bathrooms down this street, in case you might need them one day. ;)

117.jpg

We hit up the Alaska T-Shirt Co. stores in every single port. This was my favourite one, it was big and empty and had tons of tees. Nancy and Chuck bought a few of them. I didn't find one that I loved. I'm not a shopper, at all! Unless I really love something, I won't buy it. I had planned on getting a t-shirt in each port for myself and I ended up buying nothing for myself this entire trip.

While I was sitting on the bench outside of the T-Shirt Co, waiting for Nanc and Chuck, Rob texted me to let me know that the Queen had died. :sad1:

Canada is part of the British Commonwealth and she is officially the Queen of Canada as well, she is all over our money and we have strong ties to Great Britain, so it was a very sad day. Also, one of those moments I will probably always remember.

Back to the ship now, we wanted to make sure we got to Cabanas to have some breakfast before it closed at 10:30am. We made it just in time and the place was pretty much dead. We planned it perfectly! :thumbsup2

I prefer to eat in Cabanas, I'm not big on spending an hour at a table to scarf down my food in less than 10 minutes but I'm also not a crowded place kind of girl, especially after my experience with Cabanas on the last cruise. :crazy2:

Going early to walk around and then eat at Cabanas worked out great because by then, everyone was off on their excursions or exploring the port.

Nancy and Chuck had missed the glacier ice Disney had brought onboard yesterday but they found it today! :thumbsup2

118.jpg

Honestly, I don't recall what we did that day, there was more food, a movie in our stateroom, lots of chatting and laughing. The day kind of flew by!

I had noticed that the DCL sign had been partially damaged during that rock slide. I had thought about heading over there, grabbing some fish from that little restaurant over there but I just never made it. :sad1:

For the second cruise in a row now, I had wanted to grab fish and chips in each port for lunch and once again, I made it to exactly none of them. :rolleyes:

Next time, when I am back with my hubby, I swear to God, I am eating my dang fish and chips in each port! :lmao:

Mark me! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

If you get that reference, you are my people. :laughing:

98c.jpg

We had lunch this evening at Triton's, sorry, no pics! Our table was right at the main entrance, funny how the numbers are at different places in the restaurants sometimes.

By the time I headed up to my pool, it was already dark and we were heading out.

98d.jpg

And unfortunately, because it had been cloudy the entire day. the gorgeous mountains that I loved so much on the last trip, could not be seen. You could see the base of the mountains but not the tops of them. And it was dark before we even left, so that glorious sail out of Skagway that we had on the July cruise could not be duplicated this time. Sadness! :sad:

119.jpg

Tomorrow...we will talk about Juneau, no no. 🎶🎵

Last edited:
Oh what a lovely surprise to welcome you all in the cabin. That husband of yours is so thoughtful :love: And aren't you a smarty pants with your makeshift curtain? You're like Macguyver :rotfl2:

Swimming in September at night....that's some dedication right there ::yes::

Sorry to hear people were buying up all the merch....ugh, that irks me to no end.

Yes, he's a keeper! :lovestruc

Just using my noggin' :rolleyes1:lmao:

I will swim in any month. :laughing:

I was watching a video on YT from our sailing and she was saying the same thing, she had never seen anything like it. Glad I missed it! The craziness from last cruise was enough for me! :crazy2:

Following along for another adventure. :lovestruc Thanks for taking the time to do another trippie. I'm interested in the differences as we are still on the fence about the time of year to do Alaska. Pros and cons, but I think the weather would be a make or break for us as we are so used to the warm temps in south Texas. :teeth:

Thanks for being here for this one too :thumbsup2

I would keep to June or July then. ::yes:: My hubby never would have made it through this one! :cold:

Exactly! I don't think he saw her at all but it sure was funny! :lmao:

You just needed moi to spot them all for you. :rolleyes1

Ohhh, that taxi ride from the Fairmount to the Metropolitan Hotel! Man, I thought I was a chatty one but this guy gave me a run for my money! It really got weird when he offered to send you his clients. I mean, he said he owned a travel agency with his brother and wanted to send clients to you!! I bet his brother wouldn't be too happy if that was all really true anyway. I think the guy was a smitten kitten with you instead. :cutie:
Lucky me LOL!

De Dutch! Good Lord, that pannekoeken I had was amazing!! I wasn't sure how gluten free would taste but it was absolutely delish! It reminded me of my mom's palacintas.

LaBelle Patate! My oh my. THAT'S what poutine is supposed to taste like? I guess the "Canadian Poutine" I had at the Wisconsin State Fair a few years ago was really just a terrible knock off. La Belles was so so good. I'm glad you realized they were only open until 7 or we would've totally missed getting poutine at all on this trip. Chuck and I still talk about it. 8-)
I had poutine the other day, not as good as La Belle Patate but it sure was good!

Pregnant? Who's pregnant? Whahahahahaha!!! I wanted to do my part of the trip planning besides doing the online check in for all of us at the 30 day mark. Imagine, me of all people, being about to accomplish that then. That NEVER happens! I thought I'd get the Health Questionaire done so that you didn't have to do that too yet and I was so adamant that I clicked the correct box early that morning of the cruise! Once I realized I did indeed tap on the wrong one, I believe a few profanities escaped from my mouth. :headache:🤣
It made for a few funny moments though! :lmao:
It was nice that we got to drop off our luggage at the port by 9:00 since we read somewhere that it wasn't open until 10 or so. Then we even got to leave the port area. That doesn't really (or shouldn't) happen at Port Canaveral. I guess Canada is just more trusting than the USA is.

When you think about it, it really isn't safe. :laughing: But yeah, 9am and they we're dropped off! Never believe FB group posts. :rolleyes2

Our decorated cabin was so sweet of Rob and Kira to do for us. And thanks again for letting us take home ALL the decorations, beach blanket and the Platinum giftie. That curtain idea was ingenious!!!! Leave it to you to come up with that idea.

Yes, I petered out early at night but I honestly never slept that well as I did on that cruise. The room was vibrating a lot at times but it lulled me to sleep. If I get 3 hours of sleep a night at home, this cruise made up for some of that. I think I got at least 7 hours every night...except the last one. :)
I hardly ever felt those vibrations, must have lulled me to sleep too! Yeah, except that last night. :scared:

Loved watching you at work during the Trivia games we went to. I did have one answer, Rusteze, so I believe I earned half of one of those handles on the tote bag. Remember that chick who was googling all the answers and then acted all smart and smug? Glad to see that she lost anyway and that our cabin neighbors actually won that one instead!

You knew more than that! That story is for the next chapter ;)
Don't even get me started on Mickey. I've since stripped any and all "Mickey" stuff from my home! 🤣

I have to add that the Gluten Free options were much better on my October cruise last year. Maybe it was because we were on the first 7 nighter since Covid and the cruise had only about 1000 passengers on it. They were able to make me anything on the menu in a gluten free option. Not so much this time.

Also wanted to add that we were not able to get a Palo brunch ressie before the cruise since we booked so late. We were also not able to get one once on board by going to the desk that day either. We were however called on Glacier Day at 9:00 for a 10:00 ressie that very same day. Ummmm, nope. We actually just ate breakfast 2 minutes ago. Oh well. Next time.

oh yeah! No Palo Brunch for you guys! I bet Chuck was happy anyway. :p

Finally catching up and loving this report so far!

Also rob wins husband of the year: gifts AND a cheese platter?!?!? Love that!

Thanks! :goodvibes

And yes, he wins husband of the year every year :love:
Awesome start to your cruise. So glad that the food was better for you this time. Still jealous about all your whale sightings, lol (presuming you saw my reply on your other TR. :rotfl2:

I did see your other reply. :teeth: We were very lucky and very stubborn, we spent a lot of time out on deck 4. :rolleyes1

Gorgeous views again! I would order room service too!

Good plan, right? :teacher: :goodvibes

Glacier day on the verandah with room service is perfection 😍

Can't really beat it! :cool1:

Glacier Day….. BEST CRUISE DAY EVER!!! Omg! I never saw anything so beautiful on any vacation except maybe seeing the Austrian Alps. And that’s a big maybe.

Chuck can’t stop talking about that gorgeous scenery! The way he threw his hands in the air and yelled “are you seeing this people” still has us giggling like two 8th graders.

He was pretty disappointed that there was only one day of the Banana soft serve. Mango and Blueberry showed up more than what seems to be a huge favorite (Banana) amongst many cruisers.

I will never forget it! And will forever say those words when I see something spectacular. :rotfl2:

Yeah, I was hoping for more banana for him!

From this cruise!

Nancy took a similar photo on our Juneau day. ;)

Mark me James I mean Cass your tr will make a difference in the planning of others When dh and I were talking about should of done this it was eat in port. Each day we were out we debated it and didn’t do it except for our terrible meal in carcross

September 9th

Today is our Juneau day! This was the rainiest day of them all. It was cool but not too windy.

120a.jpg

We got ready for the day and then off we went!

120b.jpg

Let me tell you...this ramp was no joke!! Remember the last time I said our legs were feeling it by the time we got to the top? Well, it felt worse this time! Chuck was a freaking Hercules and just swooped Nancy right to the top! You can kind of see the angle from this pic but it still feels worse than it looks. :scared:

120c.jpg

We walked through the town for about 90 minutes. Thankfully, it wasn't as busy as the last time I was here and it was much cooler and more pleasant. We did run into a lot of homeless people though. One guy was hanging out in front of a weed shop with his dog and he was making comments as we passed by and they weren't very pleasant. :rolleyes:

122.jpg

123.jpg

If you want to give some kid nightmares, the one on the left would be ideal. :rolleyes::rotfl2:

120d.jpg

We walked to the Fish & Chips place that I had wanted to eat at but it was just after 9 in the morning and not open yet. :p It looks like there's two of me in the reflection. :rotfl:

124.jpg

We went through several shops and we all bought something at this one store called Alaska Juneau Mining Company. I got Kira a marble bear and Rob some cute Alaska boxer shorts and I ended up getting the cashier's entire medical history during that transaction. :confused:

Add_a_heading_-_2021-09-24T133301.718.png

We stopped at the Alaska T Shirt Co but it was a freaking zoo inside, so I waited outside while N & C attempted to maneuver through the madness. They didn't last long. :eek: :crowded:

On the bus to and from the town, Nancy got a very safe ride! She was buckled in there good! :rotfl:

120.jpg

Back to the ship we went! About half-way down this ramp, we ended up being on someone's YT video. :p I came across a vlog series from our sailing a couple of weeks ago, I don't recall seeing them on the ship but we had several cameos in their videos and they were apparently sitting across from us in the terminal as we waited to board. I'm obviously very observant! :lmao:

120f.jpg

We grabbed some breakfast at a very empty Cabanas just before it closed and then we headed for the ice cream machine to see if they still had banana for Chuck. They didn't. :sad:

Okay, I'm going to talk a little but about what it's like getting around in a wheelchair on this ship now. Before this trip, I always thought this ship was very accessible, I mean, there's so many buttons and automatic doors but the reality is that it's actually quite terrible! Half of those HA buttons didn't work and those doors are super heavy to open. Even for the ones that did work and opened automatically, the ramps or doorways were extremely wheelchair unfriendly! The only decent way in or out of deck 4 was the aft port side, as it had only one door and it did actually work with the button but on all of the other exits/entrances, including the aft starboard one, there were two sets of doors and none of the wheelchair buttons worked! :furious: Even with Chuck pushing and me there to help open doors, it was not easy getting around sometimes.

As you can see in this pic, while there was a button to press, there was a giant lip at the bottom of the door and only one door opened, which was not wide enough to get a wheelchair through. I got very good at figuring out how each door opened (sometimes you would have to pop open a little thingy on this inside of the door frame) and by the end of the week, Chuck was a pro getting through those double doors. :rolleyes1

125.jpg

Nancy got a Mickey ice cream! :earboy2:

129a.jpg

We spent the next four or five hours in our room, popping out onto the balcony when it wasn't too rainy. Once we got back onto the ship, it rained most of the day, all the way up until dinner.

It was foggy, which made it interesting to watch the Holland America ship sail into port. I'm glad we did our shopping before she had arrived! ::yes::

126.jpg

120g.jpg

127.jpg

The Zuiderdam arrived and shortly thereafter, the Quantum left. Very short port hours for those ships! I think they combine their glacier day with their Juneau day.

128.jpg

There's a funny story I wanted to share with you, I think it happened on this day but honestly, it could have been the day before or even the day before that. :rolleyes2

Let's just pretend it happened today, shall we. :rolleyes1

We were about to go somewhere, maybe lunch? But first, I had to umm....use the facilities, let's just say, and while I was in there, Nanc yelled out to say that they were going to grab some coffee up on deck 9. Well, a few moments later, I heard Nancy bang on the bathroom door. I figured they just forgot something and she was razzing me. We joke around a lot, so it's definitely something she would do, so I yelled out a very loud, very sarcastic "GO AWAY!" but instead of the laughter I expected from the other side of the door, there was a soft male voice saying "I come back, take your time!"

flabbergasted.gif

Oh, My. Dog.

It was our room host, Pande!
eggheadsmile.gif

It was mortifyingly embarrassing and hilarious as heck, all at the same time. :rotfl2:

When I later told Nancy & Chuck about it, they said that they had run into him in the hallway and he had asked if he could clean our room yet and they said that I was still in the room and that I might be a little while.

So, he had fair warning and I guess that will teach him, right? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I felt so bad though, when I saw him later in the day, I apologized for yelling at him. :earboy2:

Time for sail away! I don't know what it is but I just love watching us sail in and out of each port.

129.jpg

120i.jpg

We had dinner (sorry, no pics) and then an hour later, it was time to head up to the pool again. We were sailing past both of the Arms and we spotted some growlers hanging around.

130.jpg

When I was done with my pool time, I walked by the main pool, like I always do and spotted a dark Funnel Vision. I don't ever recall them not playing something on this screen, even just a screensaver like the night before. It must have something to do with Alaska restrictions I guess?

131.jpg

Well, that's it for our jam-packed Juneau day. :p

Next up...I finally make it to Ketchikan! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter