carseat on the plane??

Lorix2

<font color=blue>Pixie and Dylan's mom<br><font co
Hello,

I've never flown with my kids. My youngest will be almost 5 next year when we go to Disney and we will be renting a car (rather use own carseat). He is currently in a high back booster which I will be bringing with us.

My question is: do I carry it on the plane or do I check it as you do luggage? I'd hate to have it flung around like the luggage...

Does he just use the lap belt like adults do on the plane? Is this safe?

I'm very safety conscious - can you tell? :)

thank you-appreciate you're advice..

yes at age 5, he should sit in a seat without his booster. so check it, if youre concerned about flying with it, rent one with your car.

We always fly on Continental when we go anywhere. I have four small children, ages 2, 4, 5, & 10. The 4 & 5 year old where in boosters when we went to WDW in Oct. 2000. We were not allowed to use the boosters for the girls on the plane. We took them all the way to the gate, along with our other car seat. The regular car seat was ok but the boosters had to get checked with the stroller. We were told by the Continental staff that we could have used the boosters if they had the five point harnesses still connected-- but my girls are over 40 lbs. so I had to take them off and use the cars seat belts. I would definitley call your airline before you go so you know the rules concerning boosters. I'm not sure if it's an FAA regulation or a Continental policy. The good thing was that the boosters were waiting on the jetway when we got off the plane!

thank you both...my son is only 3 1/2 and with a coat on, his 5 point harness is too tight, so he always takes his coat off before getting in the seat, but without a coat, it's fine.. He'll definitely be too big soon for the harness restraints and will have to use the car belts with the seat..

Hi There,
Yes, its an FAA reg that does not allow the use of boosters with lap belts in commercial passenger aircraft. Car seats with dual shoulder straps yes, since the seat can be secured to the aircraft seat and will keep the little one in place should the aircraft roll (which is why they allow car seats with full harnesses). Aircraft seat belts fit differently from auto seat belts, so your child should be fine with just the use of the belt...

:cool:

Check with the car rental agency, some do not allow you to use your own carseat. I may be mistaken, but, I think I read that in Florida you must use a carseat from the rental agency.

I'll have to check that out. I can't see why they wouldn't allow you're own seat.....I'd feel much safer with my child in his own seat since I know how to install in safely and correctly. Besides, theirs are probably plastic and uncomfortable and who checks them for cracks or broken buckles???

thanks again!

Lori

We travel to Florida 4+ times per year, Orlando, Clearwater and WPalm Beach. We have used many different rental agencies and always use our own carseats and booster seats.

The one time we did rent seats - from Hertz the traditional car seat was horrible, the seat lining was cracked and the belts were broken so they only adjusted very tightly - to tight for dd. It was a Century model, the 20-40lbs front facing type. They did have some new Century Breverra booster seats but they did not come with the harness - you used the cars lap/shoulder belts - ok for my 5yo but not my 3yo. They also charged 10 per day per seat- now I find it well worth brining my own, for safety and expense.
Tj

I'm very surprised to hear that idea. I've rented from all of the majors in Florida, and elsewhere in the US and even Europe. No one has ever tried to tell me I could not use my own seat. They all know I'm planning to use it, too, because I always make a note that the car must have 4 doors so that I can install it properly. (BTW, I know it's possible to install a seat in a coupe, but it's more difficult, and I don't need to deal with that on a vacation trip.)

The only questions I have ever gotten regarding using my own seat in a rental car were in Europe, and the questions had to do with seat placement; they thought that installing it in the center of the back seat was incorrect. (Which would have been true had it been a European seat, because those require a lap/shoulder belt for installation.)

The limitation I have encountered in Florida is that most companies will not guarantee that a suitable seat will be available when you actually arrive. I've been an eyewitness a couple of times to situations where people who arrived on evening flights were told that there were no rental seats left.

One of the reasons that booster seats are not allowed on commercial airlines is that the seat backs are called break away seats. Should there be an incident or accident a child in a booster seat would be more seriously injured than in just a regular seat belt.

I always give my children a last minute tug on the seat belt as we begin our taxi down the runway. At times I have placed a pillow in the low of my DD's back to give her more support. I always place an arm over my children as we take off and land and always listen to the flight attendants (I was a former flight attendant)!

WE have never had a problem using our car seat with our rental cars.

Have a safe trip.

Enjoy!

thank you for all you're advice and input...appreciate that!

Lori

When we went to Disney this past March, my 4 year old son - 41 inches, 36 pounds - used his Century Next Step Booster seat. Mainly to keep him in his seat on the plane!!!!!! The 5 point harness was in place. The Century Next Step is approved by the FAA for the airplane with the 5 point harness, not without. Check the manufacturers guidlines of the carseat/booster.

WE CAME TO U S A FROM U K LAST JULY AND ARE COMING AGIN THIS YR IN JULY - WE HAVE A NOW 5.3 YR OLD

HE WONT USE A CAR SEAT THIS YEAR BUT WHAT WE DID WHEN DD WAS 5 WAS WE TOOK A BOOSTER SEAT FOR THE CAR AND LEFT ITIN THE CAR SO WE DIDNT HAVE TO TAKE IT HOME WITH US - THE RENTAL PEOPLE SAID THEY WOULD GET RID FOR US

WE ALSO LEFT OUR STROLLER LAST YEAR AT THE HOTEL SAYING IT WAS "RUBBISH" BECAUSE OUR DS DIDNT NEEDIT HERE IN THE THIS MEANS THAT WE DIDNT NEED TO BRING IT BACK TO UK WITH US

HOPE THIS HELPS:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter