Cars Land coming to DHS

I really can't see why people are upset at the thought of building a replica of Carsland in Florida. Who is cannibalizing anything? They won't tear apart the California Carsland. They aren't stealing guests away from DL. Just how many bicoastal guests do you think there are every year. Miniscule compared to the total number of park guests on either coast.

Building copies or variations of a ride in a different park is hardly a new concept. Look at all of the Disney parks and then check out how many attractions are clones or sisters of the original in either DL or WDW. Carsland would just be one more added to the list.

As to whether or not the Racers will be built (and I do understand the concerns of one of the PPs over the practicality of this ride when it is so susceptible to rain) we'll just have to wait until Disney actually makes an official announcement. In the mean time it's all idle speculation- although that in and of itself can be fun.

This post pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Here's the thing.

Carsland was built because DCA's attendance numbers were ****.

By building it somewhere else it makes the entire reason it was originally built moot. I don't care if it's good or not or what the theme is.

That's my largest issue

How does it make it moot? People aren't flocking from the East Coast to the West just because DCA all of a sudden has CarsLand. More people from the West Coast are spending more time at DLR and going to both parks now. It's not like the entire DLR had an attendance problem and couldn't draw guests. DLR's MK was still ranked 2nd in attendance in the world last year. The problem with the attendance at DCA was because of how bad DCA was. Now that Disney has fixed it, the people that were only going to MK are now going to both MK and DCA.

It's mind boggling that you guys really think most disney guests are going to go to a theme park on the opposite coast they live on because they have different attractions.

Maybe Disney can work on getting RSR to not break down as often as it does in DCA first before deciding to build another one ;)

I understand your point, but you have to look at the whole picture.

Try to think about it from an operational standpoint.

Right now, FP's for RSR have been exhausted by 9:00 a.m. for the entire day. Stand by wait times can be up to 2.5 to 3 hours, in the outdoors. This could be same scenario AND then add the weather factor if RSR is built in Florida.

Weather can and does affect the operation of this ride and heavy rainfall or lightening could close down the ride for many hours. As you know, it rains a lot in Florida in the afternoons.

It won't matter how great the "experience" RSR will be - if Disney can't safely operate ride and handle the massive crowds. Plain and simple, Florida is the wrong environment for this ride.

Can you imagine the level of disappointment and weariness by guests if they have this kind of "experience" on their vacation?

As for Disney "repeating things" yes, I have been aware this for the last 20 years. And it is annoying and disappointing to see this trend happening.

Glad you are able to visit both coasts - but why are people amazed at this accomplishment?

Is TT a failure, then?

How does it make it moot? People aren't flocking from the East Coast to the West just because DCA all of a sudden has CarsLand. More people from the West Coast are spending more time at DLR and going to both parks now. It's not like the entire DLR had an attendance problem and couldn't draw guests. DLR's MK was still ranked 2nd in attendance in the world last year. The problem with the attendance at DCA was because of how bad DCA was. Now that Disney has fixed it, the people that were only going to MK are now going to both MK and DCA.

It's mind boggling that you guys really think most disney guests are going to go to a theme park on the opposite coast they live on because they have different attractions.

Not at all the point we're making. The hype of this new area is strong right now, and really is flocking everyone there, and because of said hype everyone on this side of the states is eager to experience it like a child wanting a cookie. They build Carsland in WDW and all of a sudden that particular experience is just another cookie, our wants filled, our desires ever increasing.

Right now Carsland is a marvel and its ONLY at DCA, the minute you turn it into a franchised land its hype is gone and its just not as special. In the long term even, people on the east coast may want to visit Carsland that they'd eventually travel out there, I know I would like to fly out to DCA to see it, and I've never been anywhere other than WDW.

Point is, they need to stop homogenizing every single thing they do and create unique aspects for each park.

Is TT a failure, then?

While its a fun ride and was one of my favorites, the number of breakdowns it has along with weather closures and maintenance, its not exactly a success in broader terms.

For those of you who think the a Cars Land at DHS will be exactly like the Cars Land in DCA....Don't presume. You can have two lands in the east coast and west coast with different rides and a different feel. I think we are all presuming it will look almost alike with the same attractions and I don't believe that will necessarily be the case.

While its a fun ride and was one of my favorites, the number of breakdowns it has along with weather closures and maintenance, its not exactly a success in broader terms.

See, I would respectfully disagree. It is consistently the longest or 2nd longest wait at Epcot. And to the weather issue, it rains "daily" in Florida for 3-4 months out of the year. That leaves 8-9 months of year of pretty great weather (such as now, where it hasn't rained here in Central Florida in probably close to a month at this point).

I have always wondered why some people don't understand the history and the uniqueness of each Disney theme park. They are truly missing out if they don't take the time to appreciate what makes each park so special.

For me, I don't see them as copies or duplicates for people to visit because they might live on one side of the country or the other. Each park has a story, a theme, a history and is unique in it's own way. Yes, there are some similarities between Disneyland and Magic Kingdom, but I see as completely different parks and experiences. It is too bad that some people think the parks are like a Costco - same thing, different place.

As for Disney not caring about putting out a quality product and that the people will just come out because they built it - I disagree with that as well. Disney doesn't build stuff overnight, a lot of time and effort goes into building an attraction, land or theme park.

BTW, Disney isn't hurting badly despite the economy. In fact, they will be making a dividend payment to their stockholders later this month of .75 per share. That makes me and lot of other people happy!

Sea

its not that they are amazed at the accomplishment..its more of a why would you bother is what I get. Since many people see them as disney parks and it doesnt matter where you go, go to the one closer.

Well DL's RSR breaks down all the time, so it won't be then much different.

Yes weather wil be an issue, but i doubt disney really cares since they know it will draw people in. plus it has been years since they built test track so who knows if they have figured a better way of doing that rain won't mess it up so bad.

In the end, if they put it in the vast majority of people will be excited for it and it will be very popular. Disney doesn't care if you are happy with them or not.

Plus, it is cheaper for them to repeat rides and this economy stinks, and it is even affecting them.

Ok, here is what Disney said today when asked about the future, from Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel:

Tom Staggs, Chairman of WDC was asked today if Cars Land is coming to other Disney properties. "We haven't made any final decisions about if or when that might happen."

As for Avatar, "That project is well under way. We're still honing exactly what we're going to do. But it's going to be big." The scale of investment is in the 400-500 million range.

On Star Wars, "You'll see more Star Wars in the parks."

So, there you go, that is the latest.

Rumors are rumors! I don't care who says they heard this that and the other from someone working at WDW. No offense to those who have relatives or friends working there, but rumors spread like wildfire and one word can change the whole meaning. They could have said "Cars is coming to DHS" and someone added the "Land" :rotfl:

But let's just wait and see what Disney says, then we will see how accurate it is. In the end, we are happy to see some expansion possibly and some freshening up.

Good Point! A year ago rumors were Cars Land DHS, Frontier land or tommrow land expansion, tron, WoC, monsters inc then out of no where disney announced Avatar land.

Wow, a poster at DHS is spilling the beans about Cars Land? :lmao:

What travel agent meeting? Who said it? When? Where?

I don't understand your reasoning why George Lucas sold LucasFilm to Disney. Please clarify.

There is some kind of evidence for all the rumors at DHS...

First, The Red Tram System, which is backed up by the sign when you enter the park saying "Ride the Big Red Cars!",which might be decoration, but would explain the rumor.

Cars Land, of course we have the travel agent meeting saying that CL would be at DHS.

The Monster Inc. rollercoaster, I doubt that Cars and Toy Story will be the only ones included,and Monsters University is coming out soon.

The Star Wars expansion, well, George sold Star Wars to Disney as we all know, but before he did that he put SW in everything from Cartoon Network, Legoland, Angry Birds, Orlando Science Center,Etc. What if that was purposed, and Lucas wanted Disney to use the money from those company's and products on SW 7 and expansions at WDW.

No, but the ride system is not the most optimum for the Florida environment.

Actually, I like the ride a lot, and I can't wait to ride the new version of it the next time we come out there.

Is TT a failure, then?

This is DizCaptain's response to your question, not mine. ;)

See, I would respectfully disagree. It is consistently the longest or 2nd longest wait at Epcot. And to the weather issue, it rains "daily" in Florida for 3-4 months out of the year. That leaves 8-9 months of year of pretty great weather (such as now, where it hasn't rained here in Central Florida in probably close to a month at this point).

I agree, stop the homogenizing! Great points! :cool1:

Right now Carsland is a marvel and its ONLY at DCA, the minute you turn it into a franchised land its hype is gone and its just not as special. In the long term even, people on the east coast may want to visit Carsland that they'd eventually travel out there, I know I would like to fly out to DCA to see it, and I've never been anywhere other than WDW.

Point is, they need to stop homogenizing every single thing they do and create unique aspects for each park.

Ok, here is what Disney said today when asked about the future, from Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel:

Tom Staggs, Chairman of WDC was asked today if Cars Land is coming to other Disney properties. "We haven't made any final decisions about if or when that might happen."

As for Avatar, "That project is well under way. We're still honing exactly what we're going to do. But it's going to be big." The scale of investment is in the 400-500 million range.

On Star Wars, "You'll see more Star Wars in the parks."

So, there you go, that is the latest.
~What a relief! I am so elated that this Carsland thing is not true!!! I do not want Carsland. Period. According, to the various news outlets, the estimated cost for Carsland, upon completion was $1.1 Billion dollars. I don't think Disney is willing to invest this amount of money for a duplicate at DHS. I'm sure they would look to cut corners and work with a tighter budget. Which means, not only does DHS get a duplicate, but it would also pale in comparison to DCA. I don't mind an expansion on the Pixar theme, it's desperately needed. But, please, not another duplicate Carsland. Based on what was quoted above, I still have hope for StarWarsLand at DHS! Anyway, thank you so much for sharing this. I just LOVE those facts, keep 'em coming! :goodvibes

Wow, a poster at DHS is spilling the beans about Cars Land? :lmao:

What travel agent meeting? Who said it? When? Where?

I don't understand your reasoning why George Lucas sold LucasFilm to Disney. Please clarify.

No, not Cars Land, there have been rumors of a red tram going around the park, and the sign saying "Ride the Big Red Cars"would explain the rumor.

One person in my family is a travel agent, after the meeting,her boss said that CL is coming to DHS.

It's just a little theory, but in short, I think Lucas might have tried to give Star Wars to tons of companies before he sold it to Disney,so that, like with Marvel, they can get and use the money from the products to make SW7 and more SW things at the parks.

I'm not saying this stuff is true, but it is evidence, even if just a little.

Maybe they might not do what I said, We never know.

What about cars based on cars 2 with the World Grand Prix theming? That would be awesome!

We are taking our first family trip next October to WDW and as a mom to a little boy who adores anything Cars I am thrilled that this is coming. I know since we are only an 8 hour drive away we will be able to go once its built. The one in DL didn't seem like a possibility but this will be doable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter