CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
San Juan is one place we don't get off the ship any more. We like beaches so it's not the best for that. On a cruise with only 3 ports where San Juan is one of them, I'd probably pick a different cruise. But if you like site seeing it would be nice, and lots of people do like it. We walked up to the fort when we went (4 years ago) but that was "one and done" for us.

We actually have done the fort more then 10 years ago when my oldest 2 were little. I'm sure they wont' remember it. I don't know how the beaches are now but I've been twice to San Juan (the other was my honeymoon) and we had a nice time on the beach both times although it can be windy.

Thanks Everyone for the input.

Priced everything out with Transportation and narrowed down to Horizon and Vista on Carnival and Anthem and Liberty on Royal to show my kids. They are pretty much all the in the same cost range within my Budget. Harmony is in DCL territory price wise which makes sense, same with Freedom without all the amenities though. I myself am leaning toward one of the Carnival Ships.

Vista and Liberty have the exact same Itinerary out of the exact same port so I figured I would let them have the comparison. Vista has the most Family Harbor Categories available while Horizon only have Interior. Horizon of course has the extra day and we can visit Grandma (and not pay for hotel or transportation cost just flights :teeth:). Either way I think they would have a good time on one of these ships.

Oh speaking of Horizon they have a room that is right up against the Family Lounge and I'm trying to figure out if I would choose that room. I wonder how loud it would be at night we are late owls and pretty heavy sleepers so not sure the noise will necessarily bother us. I'm thinking being as we are interior I figured my kids will probably end up being in there late hours and could just come round the corner to the room. :scratchin

Thanks Everyone for the input.

Priced everything out with Transportation and narrowed down to Horizon and Vista on Carnival and Anthem and Liberty on Royal to show my kids. They are pretty much all the in the same cost range within my Budget. Harmony is in DCL territory price wise which makes sense, same with Freedom without all the amenities though. I myself am leaning toward one of the Carnival Ships.

Vista and Liberty have the exact same Itinerary out of the exact same port so I figured I would let them have the comparison. Vista has the most Family Harbor Categories available while Horizon only have Interior. Horizon of course has the extra day and we can visit Grandma (and not pay for hotel or transportation cost just flights :teeth:). Either way I think they would have a good time on one of these ships.

Oh speaking of Horizon they have a room that is right up against the Family Lounge and I'm trying to figure out if I would choose that room. I wonder how loud it would be at night we are late owls and pretty heavy sleepers so not sure the noise will necessarily bother us. I'm thinking being as we are interior I figured my kids will probably end up being in there late hours and could just come round the corner to the room. :scratchin
Just be careful that you are not directly under the galley on Horizon or Vista. We were under the galley on the CCL Dream and it was awful. We are not light sleepers. You can google some rooms for galley input!

Hey guys, I just saw something really cool on Scott's website, hopefully everyone knows the site I'm talking about since they now block us from posting a link to his blog. On his tweets feed he has a video of the Carnival Vista being put on a floating dry dock thing. I thought it was pretty cool, didn't know that's how they get the ships to dry dock.

Hey guys, I just saw something really cool on Scott's website, hopefully everyone knows the site I'm talking about since they now block us from posting a link to his blog. On his tweets feed he has a video of the Carnival Vista being put on a floating dry dock thing. I thought it was pretty cool, didn't know that's how they get the ships to dry dock.
Thanks for the heads up. I love his blog but check it only occasionally. His trip reports are great.

That was the a first from what I understand, it was a new method of dry docking and I understand it went well, so maybe they will use it to fix other ships in faster times? Because it was so fast Vista was back in service early and they did a 4 night cruise (for really cheap when it first got posted). Kind of cool to see the video though!

And now I'm looking at a cruise on Vista, flights to Houston seem to be pretty reasonable (cheaper than Miami or FLL from here) and even hotels are really good prices.

So Kids got home yesterday and the Majority have agreed to go on the Vista for spring break. My oldest son didn't want to do 8 days on the Horizon and I acquiesced since it's his birthday week. My daughter is being moody about it so going with the majority on this.

Excited either way!
You’re going to love Vista. We have the Fun Times for the Cozumel, Roatan and Belize itinerary, let me know if you want me to email them to you.

So Kids got home yesterday and the Majority have agreed to go on the Vista for spring break. My oldest son didn't want to do 8 days on the Horizon and I acquiesced since it's his birthday week. My daughter is being moody about it so going with the majority on this.

Excited either way!

Excellent choice. Be sure to keep a little money and book the Thrill Theater once you're on board! It's so much fun!

Today is the first day of school so the next 9 weeks will be busy with marching band, football and all the other back to school stuff. In 62 days I will be headed to New Orleans for our little getaway on the Valor. I can't wait to hit Paradise Beach!

A bit of a heads up for anyone who might be interested in Europe cruising. JH has posted some "poll" questions about the British Isles for 2021. I did some sleuthing and found the Legend on the Palma de Mallorca schedule for 1 stop only May 24 2021 (from Barcelona to Almeria Spain). Might this be the next "Sunshined" ship? One repo cruise from Barcelona to Dover and then a season of BI cruises?

Interesting. Legend is Spirit class, and not the oldest one, so I can't see them "sunshining" it, but I could be wrong :) who knows! Will be watching to see though.

Already back to school? our calendars are very different, we don't go back until after Labour Day, which is nice for visiting Disney since so many people go back before that. It is back firing on me this year with Star Wars opening, but we'll make the best of it. That cruise is coming up quick for you, are you spending some time in New Orleans as well?

I'm anxious for the rest of 2021 to be posted for Carnival and RCL. Though I still haven't entirely sorted out 2020. We have Carnival Horizon for sure in Dec 2020. We have Carnival Magic (8 night southern) currently booked for March but I am hoping to move next year and could use some extra money, so am looking at maybe the Vista or RCL Liberty in Jan/Feb. Vista more than Liberty because kiddo doesn't weigh enough to do one of the slides on Liberty and it would cause a problem. Not sure he can put on 30 lbs in 5 months. I wish I had his metabolism :) Any way! It would save me about $2000 between not flying at a peak time and the cruise itself. Then maybe 2021 I can do the southern. I so want to swim with turtles.

Interesting. Legend is Spirit class, and not the oldest one, so I can't see them "sunshining" it, but I could be wrong :) who knows! Will be watching to see though.

Already back to school? our calendars are very different, we don't go back until after Labour Day, which is nice for visiting Disney since so many people go back before that. It is back firing on me this year with Star Wars opening, but we'll make the best of it. That cruise is coming up quick for you, are you spending some time in New Orleans as well?

I'm anxious for the rest of 2021 to be posted for Carnival and RCL. Though I still haven't entirely sorted out 2020. We have Carnival Horizon for sure in Dec 2020. We have Carnival Magic (8 night southern) currently booked for March but I am hoping to move next year and could use some extra money, so am looking at maybe the Vista or RCL Liberty in Jan/Feb. Vista more than Liberty because kiddo doesn't weigh enough to do one of the slides on Liberty and it would cause a problem. Not sure he can put on 30 lbs in 5 months. I wish I had his metabolism :) Any way! It would save me about $2000 between not flying at a peak time and the cruise itself. Then maybe 2021 I can do the southern. I so want to swim with turtles.
We have done the 5 day from New Orleans twice before and have no desire to see any more of NO than we have to! It was not our cup of tea.

We do go back to school early but we are also out the 3rd week of May.

British Isles is the cruise my niece wants for her graduation trip and if Carnival sails it we will do it. I am not enamored with the Legend though as I don't like the older, smaller ships with less "bells & whistles". There isn't even an outdoor movie screen (our favorite nighttime activity). We will see what they end up doing.

We have done the 5 day from New Orleans twice before and have no desire to see any more of NO than we have to! It was not our cup of tea.

OMG - I have felt like I was the only person alive who does not get the fascination with NO!!! So glad to meet someone else who doesn’t think it is all that! :)

Just did a 5 night Western Caribbean on the Carnival Dream. We enjoyed it so much I'm kind of afraid I won't like next year's 7 nighter on the Disney Fantasy as much. :-) ... at least for the price difference anyways. My daughter adored the cruise director. She, however, REFUSED to go to the kids club on board. We tried to take her but it was chaos to check her in, I guess it was during an activity switch-over and there was a long wait. We've been watching videos of the new Mardi Gras, that is really going to be something else.

British Isles is the cruise my niece wants for her graduation trip and if Carnival sails it we will do it. I am not enamored with the Legend though as I don't like the older, smaller ships with less "bells & whistles". There isn't even an outdoor movie screen (our favorite nighttime activity). We will see what they end up doing.

I would LOVE them to do the British Isles. We leave in a month for our DCL British Isles trip, but it would be amazing for Carnival to pick up a similar itinerary. Agreed about the ship though. I understand it would need to be a smaller one and the itinerary would definitely be more port intensive than a normal one, but I would miss a few of the upgrades, like the outdoor movie screen.

Wasn't there a cruise on the Legend next year that was way out of the ordinary for Carnival? I believe it was a 16 day Journey that went to Iceland, Ireland, and a few more ports? That's what we need more of!

Just did a 5 night Western Caribbean on the Carnival Dream. We enjoyed it so much I'm kind of afraid I won't like next year's 7 nighter on the Disney Fantasy as much. :-) ... at least for the price difference anyways. My daughter adored the cruise director. She, however, REFUSED to go to the kids club on board. We tried to take her but it was chaos to check her in, I guess it was during an activity switch-over and there was a long wait. We've been watching videos of the new Mardi Gras, that is really going to be something else.

Glad to hear you had such a good time! Was it your first Carnival cruise? That class of ships seems to be the running favorite. Agreed about the Mardi Gras. It looks stunning!

Glad to hear you had such a good time! Was it your first Carnival cruise? That class of ships seems to be the running favorite. Agreed about the Mardi Gras. It looks stunning!

No, I did a 3 night on the Carnival Ecstasy 12 years ago (pre kid days) and did not like it much. More of a weekend booze cruise. I did a lot more research this time vs. none the time before. The ship and itinerary really fit our needs for this trip. We just did a beach excursion at Cozumel and took one of the city tours in Merida since Progreso didn't seem to offer much. I was happy for my daughter to experience a foreign city for the first time .... even if she did look bored some of the time hopefully the memory will stay with her. It was my daughters first cruise though and she loved it. Many smiles (except the Camp Ocean refusal).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter