CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

belle032

DIS Veteran
Happy New Year everyone! PLEASE cross all your fingers & toes we can get cruising again in the near future!!

We just have Alaska booked in Sept 2021 on the Norwegian Encore as of right now. I think Canada may play a large part as to whether or not we sail, which I understand. If it doesn't happen, hopefully we can push it back a year and get something else scheduled.

I want to book a Southern Caribbean sailing (or any Caribbean sailing really) sooooo badly, but I'm just hesitant until I know what the cruising experience will be like. We may try to sneak a WDW trip in this year, but it's really difficult for us New Yorkers to travel out of state at the moment with the testing/quarantine requirements. I hope as more people get vaccinated that it will change, but for right now, it's tough.

braysmommy

DIS Veteran
Our pre-cruise package is: the room, 2 drinks, breakfast for two and shuttle to the port.

Did you try a restaurant at the hotel? If you did, how was it?
We didn't try restaurant in the hotel since DS woke up early so we went out for a walk and grabbed something while we were out.

Club Disney Chandler

DIS Veteran
We’re booked for 2 weeks on Mardi Gras the beginning of June, I’m also going to book 2 weeks the beginning of July as a safety net, in case June cruises don’t happen 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️.

We’re also booking 10 days at WDW for the first of June, so we’ll have something if cruising doesn’t happen. I am going to get a vacation in 2021!!!!

jane01jp

DIS Veteran
If anyone ever decides to try a Carnival cruise, I would recommend avoiding any that originate out of Charleston, SC. We have done that, and the terminal is used so infrequently that operations at the terminal are pretty spotty.

belle032

DIS Veteran
Ugh CCL cruises cancelled through March. I really can't believe it's been an entire year since ships have sailed. And we though this thing would only last a few weeks. I really thought they would try to get up and running in some capacity for the typical Spring Break vacationers, but now maybe summer?

hdrolfe

DIS Veteran
Ugh CCL cruises cancelled through March. I really can't believe it's been an entire year since ships have sailed. And we though this thing would only last a few weeks. I really thought they would try to get up and running in some capacity for the typical Spring Break vacationers, but now maybe summer?
Some of their ships are cancelled well into later 2021 as well. Fascination is until 2022!

• Carnival Freedom sailings through and including April 10, 2021
  • Carnival Splendor sailings through and including April 19, 2021
  • Carnival Breeze from Ft. Lauderdale sailings November 7, 2020 through and including March 7, 2021
  • Carnival Sunrise
    • Ft. Lauderdale, New York and Norfolk sailings through and including October 19, 2020
    • Miami 7 and 8 day sailings from October 9, 2021 through and including April 30, 2022, excluding the March 5, 2022 sailing
    • Miami 5 day sailing January 3, 2022
  • Carnival Radiance
    • Sailings through and including November 1, 2020
    • 9, 12, and 14 day sailings from May 2, 2021 through and including April 29, 2022
    • 5 day sailings December 23, 2021 and December 28, 2021
  • Carnival Legend sailings through and including March 26, 2021
  • Carnival Paradise sailings through and including May 31, 2021
  • Carnival Magic sailings through and including September 24, 2021
  • Carnival Imagination and Carnival Inspiration sailings through and including April 19, 2021
  • Carnival Valor sailings through and including September 11, 2021
  • Carnival Miracle sailings through and including September 16, 2021
  • Carnival Liberty sailings from September 17, 2021 through and including October 18, 2021
  • Carnival Spirit sailings through and including June 12, 2021
  • Carnival Fascination sailings through and including January 9, 2022
  • Carnival Sensation sailings through and including March 31, 2021, and March 3, 2022 and March 7, 2022
  • Mardi Gras sailings through and including April 17, 2021
  • Carnival Sunshine sailings from October 11, 2021 through and including November 13, 2021
  • All Other Ships sailings through and including March 31, 2021

belle032

DIS Veteran
@hdrolfe Thanks for clarifying, I just saw the announcement on FB and didn't read through all the specifics!

Wow that is a lot. Looks like Breeze, Sunrise, Radiance, Legend, Liberty, Sensation (just retire this one already!), Sunshine, Horizon, & Vista have the first shot? I imagine this throws a wrench into previously planned drydocks as well.

And I wonder if the Fascination will just never return.

• EXCLUSIVE - Dreams Unlimited Travel Gift Basket!
    Book your Disney Cruise Line vacation through Dreams Unlimited Travel and receive an exclusive, complimentary Gift Basket. This Gift Basket is a result of client feedback as well as posts from DISboards.com; we call it our “What you didn't know you needed on a Disney Cruise Kit”.
    Click Here for Details

• hdrolfe

DIS Veteran
    @hdrolfe Thanks for clarifying, I just saw the announcement on FB and didn't read through all the specifics!

Wow that is a lot. Looks like Breeze, Sunrise, Radiance, Legend, Liberty, Sensation (just retire this one already!), Sunshine, Horizon, & Vista have the first shot? I imagine this throws a wrench into previously planned drydocks as well.

And I wonder if the Fascination will just never return.
    I wonder about that as well. Fascination is a smaller ship and perhaps they will sell it?

I am not sure if the list I posted is up to date as of today, it's from Carnival's website but I feel like it may be misleading in a few cases, like Breeze, which is not sailing until April at least but from the list looks like mid-March? Perhaps more to come... I'm sure other cruise lines will follow if they haven't already... I just want to be able to cruise again!! Hopefully by December... Hopefully the cruise lines can recover from this. I acknowledge a lot of industries will need time to recover as well but this is a discussion about Carnival so mentioning cruising in specific.

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
    Apparently a bunch of cruises were cancelled today (March and some specific cruises even going up to November).

Check your emails and your junk (because cancellations seems to go directly to junk mail most of the time).

belle032

DIS Veteran
    Ughhh we are strongly leaning towards rescheduling our Alaskan cruise we have booked for September. It seems so far away now, but I truly feel it's not going to happen anyway. The season is so short to begin with so if they don't get off the ground in May/June, I think the entire thing will be a wash.

However, we would wait until any kind of cancellation/rescheduling info comes directly from NCL before doing anything on our own. If it does sail with a ton of stipulations, I hope cruise lines will let us decide if we want to go or not.

I think we will get a WDW trip in this year at some point (tentatively scheduled to go to a family wedding in March in Atlanta, so ideally would tie it on to that trip) and if we postpone Alaska, but can get on some kind of Caribbean sailing this fall/winter, we'll definitely consider that opportunity.

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
    Ughhh we are strongly leaning towards rescheduling our Alaskan cruise we have booked for September. It seems so far away now, but I truly feel it's not going to happen anyway. The season is so short to begin with so if they don't get off the ground in May/June, I think the entire thing will be a wash.

However, we would wait until any kind of cancellation/rescheduling info comes directly from NCL before doing anything on our own. If it does sail with a ton of stipulations, I hope cruise lines will let us decide if we want to go or not.

I think we will get a WDW trip in this year at some point (tentatively scheduled to go to a family wedding in March in Atlanta, so ideally would tie it on to that trip) and if we postpone Alaska, but can get on some kind of Caribbean sailing this fall/winter, we'll definitely consider that opportunity.
    I would suggest you wait a few more weeks/months before you cancel.

I don't know if it's the same for you but here in Canada, there will be a "boom" in vaccines availability on March 15, 2021 that could change everything and they recently announced that everyone living in long term care facilities will be vaccinated within the next two weeks... Which makes me very hopeful that before the end of the summer, we will be vaccinated and back to a somewhat normal life. :)

Our experience is that NCL was not great with cancellation. They offered us a refund (which took two months)... They offered a 10% off but our PVP's never replied to our requests for a rebooking.

• belle032

DIS Veteran
    I would suggest you wait a few more weeks/months before you cancel.

I don't know if it's the same for you but here in Canada, there will be a "boom" in vaccines availability on March 15, 2021 that could change everything and they recently announced that everyone living in long term care facilities will be vaccinated within the next two weeks... Which makes me very hopeful that before the end of the summer, we will be vaccinated and back to a somewhat normal life. :)

Our experience is that NCL was not great with cancellation. They offered us a refund (which took two months)... They offered a 10% off but our PVP's never replied to our requests for a rebooking.
    Thank you for the info! We're in Upstate NY relatively close to the border!) and our vaccination distribution has gotten off to shaky start, to say the least. I'm still hopeful for the future though.

Don't worry, I don't plan on making any changes to our reservation until NCL either confirms that they are cancelled or there is some announcement that gives us the opportunity to postpone/cancel ourselves. Our PIF is the middle of May, so plenty of time.

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
    Thank you for the info! We're in Upstate NY relatively close to the border!) and our vaccination distribution has gotten off to shaky start, to say the least. I'm still hopeful for the future though.

Don't worry, I don't plan on making any changes to our reservation until NCL either confirms that they are cancelled or there is some announcement that gives us the opportunity to postpone/cancel ourselves. Our PIF is the middle of May, so plenty of time.
    *Fingers crossed*

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES

Book your Disney Cruise through Dreams Unlimited Travel and receive a Shipboard Credit and an Exclusive Gift Basket!