Car seat on airplane

THESCHULTZFIVE

DIS Veteran<br><font color=00cc00>I'm really nuts
I'm still debating about whether or not to take my youngest DD car seat with us and buy her ticket or just sit her on our laps. It would seem weird to me to just hold her on our laps, but we won't need it again until we go home so what's the point? What do you do?

Do you have a light weight booster seat? Is your child crawling or walking yet? Is your child calm natured or busy?

We always bought our kids seats when they were little. We did occasionally give up the seat if the kids were doing fine, or the flight was short, or the incentives were good enough (once we got 2 free tickets for our half price seat)

I found that when the kids were toddlers ( crawling to about 2 1/2) they did better in car seats because they were used to them and knew that they could not get out. Once they were old enough to understand that mommy wasn't going to let them run up and down the aisles then we stopped bringing the car seats and they did great in the lap belts. We still carry a small arsenal of distracting toys though.

Two hours is a long time to hold a squirming toddler on your lap. My kids were not docile and sweet babies, if they were awak and healthy they were moving at all times.

Regardless, be sure to have a cup or bottle to give them at take off and landing, it helps keep their ears from popping during the change in cabin pressure.

Good luck & have a great trip!

We do have a lighter wieght car seat. And yes, she's a walker. She'll be 21 months. I just feel like it will be hard enough to keep up with carry ons, children, documents, etc. without having this car seat following us around. I definitely plan on having toys and we're taking our dvd player. Also we plan on eating on the plane so I thought those things might be a distraction for her.

You do not have to use a car seat on an airplane. But you might want to. First, the background information. I know it is expensive to buy the seat, but would you regret it if something should happen?

"The US Federal Aviation Administration, the US National Transportation Safety Board, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority all appear to agree on the following basic principles:

All passengers are always safer on an airplane when properly restrained, period. Being properly restrained will make a baby significantly safer on an airplane.
Unrestrained babies in airplanes are subject to more risks than unrestrained adults. It takes less turbulence to fling them around the cabin, and once they have gotten misplaced in the cabin, they cannot find themselves and can get trapped under seats and in small spaces, making them hard to evacuate. (There isn't good data on this because adults are usually belted. However, this article suggests that unrestrained babies are up to 9.6 times as likely to die in an airplane accident than restrained adults.)
A baby in a bassinet is an unrestrained baby.​
Restraining babies with an adult seatbelt is simply unacceptable and drastically increases the chance of injuring the baby.
Restraining babies with an addition to an adult seatbelt (an extra loop) keeps them from flying around the cabin, which is good, but significantly increases the chance of other injuries to the baby, which is bad. [The US and Australia differ on whether this tradeoff is acceptable, but agree that it will result in some babies that would have died of head injuries living with abdominal injuries and also some babies that would have had no injuries having abdominal injuries.]​
The best possible way to restrain a baby on an airplane is an aviation-approved child restraint (that is, a car seat certified for airplane use). This should be installed according to the manufacturer's label, even if that means facing the rear of the airplane. Aviation-approved child restraints are tested for airplane safety as well as car safety."

Quote from parentsknow.com:
The reasons for the proposed regulations are clear-cut: More than 90 percent of injuries on airplanes occur in-flight during turbulence, so when parents hold infants or toddlers on their laps, they are putting themselves and their children at risk for injury. Between 1987 and 1994, three children on the laps of adults died (and others received injuries) in plane crashes in Denver, Colo., Sioux City, Iowa, and Charlotte, N.C. Five children were aboard American Airlines Flight 587 when it crashed into the Belle Harbor section of Queens on Veteran's Day.

There has been some rather heated debate around here about this in the past. Personally for us, we've not taken a car seat, but did buy a seat for them. I already feel a bit claustrophic on airplanes, don't think I'd want a toddler sitting on my lap

As for the safety aspect of not taking a car seat, well like I said there have been some heated debates about it. Not taking either side, people should do what they're comfortable doing, just saying what worked for us.

One good tip is to go to the dollar store (minus the kids') and purchase a whole bunch of toys. I would put these in the carry-on, and give them one at a time. Since the attention span was about 10 minutes to play with them, I'd just pull a new one out after that. About $20 worth toys, plus snacking, usually kept them entertained on the 2 1/2 hour flight to orlando

Even though it ment toting around a Britax Marathon, we opted for the carseat. Safety was one concerns, but the ringer was providing something familiar to a young first-time flyer as well. And unless you're going strait to the boat by bus, you'll need a carseat anyway for taxi or rental car.

Once you get to port, you can check the carset to have it delivered to your stateroom. For protection and easy carrying, we purchased one of those carseat tote bags ($20 at BRU). With the protection of the nylon tote, we were able to store it on the veranda for a repo cruise with no problem. Others have suggested storing it in the tub until shower time.

HooKooDooKu said:
Even though it ment toting around a Britax Marathon, we opted for the carseat. Safety was one concerns, but the ringer was providing something familiar to a young first-time flyer as well. And unless you're going strait to the boat by bus, you'll need a carseat anyway for taxi or rental car.

Once you get to port, you can check the carset to have it delivered to your stateroom. For protection and easy carrying, we purchased one of those carseat tote bags ($20 at BRU). With the protection of the nylon tote, we were able to store it on the veranda for a repo cruise with no problem. Others have suggested storing it in the tub until shower time.
We're actually doing Disney World first, so we'll be using DME transportation. I was looking for those bags this morning(I figured we would get off the plane, put the seat in the bag and then tag it so it could go with the rest of our luggage on the ship when we leave Disney, but I couldn't find them. I saw them on one step ahead and now I can't find them.

the kabuki said:
There has been some rather heated debate around here about this in the past.
I am fairly new to the DCL board, so I have not seen the heated debate threads on car seats yet, but I can certainly imagine. I know I feel passionately about their use - the only time I feel 'road rage' is when I see parent's in a car with kids that are not buckled up! I know they are not my kids, but I just go uggghhhhh.... :mad:

HooKooDooKu said:
Even though it ment toting around a Britax Marathon, we opted for the carseat. Safety was one concerns, but the ringer was providing something familiar to a young first-time flyer as well. And unless you're going strait to the boat by bus, you'll need a carseat anyway for taxi or rental car.QUOTE]

Since you are strict about car seats in the car, keeping her happy on the plane will be MUCH easier in the car seat. Plus it will keep the other children in their seats a little easier since they can't claim "but she's not buckled"

And it is easier to have your own car seat for ground transportation however we have found it isn't always necessary:

We have received many car seats from rental cars since we started traveling with kids almost 10 years ago. In many states, my 9 and 7 year old daughters are still required to use car seats because they don't meet the weight requirements. We just let the rental car companies know we will need 2 boosters and a car seat.

And we have often found that major cities like Orlando have alot of taxi companies that will provide car seats. It may take a few more minutes to get your taxi, but you can find them. Most of the time they are built into the seats and unless you needed them, you wouldn't know they were there.

I have seen little carts that you could use to carry the seat through the airports at places like Walmart for a very reasonable amount of money.

Good Luck!

Even at 5 years old my daughter used her car seat on the airplane. I had to bring it anyway to use in the rental car so she might as well sit in it on the airplane. I would never travel in a plane with a child on my lap, and my daughter was a very calm kid who would sit still anywhere! I tell her a plane is like a car, you go in your car seat and stay buckled, just like a car....she is small and still fits in teh 5 point harness car seats. We always rented a car to go to port and kept it parked in the lot there so we left the car se at in the car...but htere is plenty of room in the closet to store it if you have to bring it onboard

I buy a seat for my baby for the comfort. She will be 7 months on our next trip so I will bring a carseat. The trip following she'll be 18 months and I won't bring a carseat, but I will purchase a seat on the plane for her.

As far as being very safety minded... you should be. However, being safety minded would dictate that you NEVER let the carseat be handled by a baggage crew regardless of whether or not it's in a nylon bag. Throwing a carseat around and letting other heavy bags be placed on top of, and thrown at, is a great way to get a crack in the styrofoam that insulates the child from the shock of an accident. You won't know that the styrofoam is cracked unless you pull the seat cover off. If it is cracked, the seat is useless. This is why insurance companies will replace any carseat if you are in an accident - even a low speed one. Carseats are good for one "smash" - once it's happened, the seat has done it's job.

Have a wonderful trip!

Erin :)

We traveled all the time with our son without a carseat on planes before he turned 2. (Although since we always gate checked the seat, we were able to use it several times when there was a empty seat.) The closer he got to 2, the mor, I liked using the carseat more, since he was more apt to wander.

Now he's almost 4, and quite tall, so he's really grown out of most car seats and it's almost booster time.

I usually just make a harness out of the carseat tether and carry it on my back like a knapsack for the walk thru the airport. We gate check a cheap umbrella stroller and DD gets in there with the carry on on her lap. (DH has DS in his stroller). We probably look ridiculous - but it works for us. At least when we fly in Feb I will let DS go without his car seat. DD 3 will still have hers. If you are looking for a car seat carrier - go online to Walmart baby and click on gear. One is listed there. This one looks pretty elaborate - has wheels and everything. They had a simpler on last year. But it might help! Have Fun!

Hi,
We have the Britax Marathon and have flown six times with my son as a ticketed passenger. Personally, I do advocate having your child as a ticketed passenger (i.e. in his own seat.) I think it is safer and more comfortable for you and your child.
To transport the carseat we use a backpack carrier. It is bulky but not that heavy and makes it easier to carry the carseat around and still have your hands. We have the "Ultimate Car Seat Carrier" by J.L. Childress Co. I purchased it at babycenter dot com. (I've spelled out the website names as I'm not sure of the posting policy on disboards.)

More options:
There is also a product that I have seen online called "go go kidz Travelmate." It seems like it attaches to your carseat and makes it so you can wheel your child while s/he's in the car seat. You can see it at their website gogobabyz dot com.
Another option that I know of through friends who are satisfied with it is the "Sit and Stroll." It's a combination stroller/car seat although the reviews online say it is convenient but it's not a GREAT stroller OR carseat. It can also be purchased at babycenter dot com.

Whatever you decide I wish you safe and happy travels.
kzybulew

From personal experience, the Sit and stroll is FAA approved - and we loved it - doesn't have many bells or whistles, but thought it was great.

THESCHULTZFIVE said:
I just feel like it will be hard enough to keep up with carry ons, children, documents, etc. without having this car seat following us around.

Boy, do I know the feeling. Last trip I bought a portable luggage cart (small metal frame with wheels, adjustable handle, and an elastic strap to secure luggage, etc). My full-size carseat fit perfectly - having it on wheels made the trip SO much easier, especially the connection.

I bought mine at Target - it was the best $19.99 I ever spent.

Car seats on planes is a hot topic.

We have flown many times and on most trips there is 10 babies or so on it. I have never seen one in their car seat. (or even a seat of their own under 2 years old too often.) Last trip there was a older kid (5 or so) who had her seat at the airport, but they gated checked it and she didn't use it on the plane.

I think most people who don't bring it along keep their mouths shut on places like this.

I am guessing that for every "If you don't then you don't care about the safety of your child post" (or something along those lines, some are kinder then that.) there a many that just stay out of it for fear of looking like a bad parent.

See my main problem isn't carrying it through the airport, it's having it sitting in our hotel room taking up space and in our stateroom which is tight enough(from what I hear) without having this useless item in it(useless while we're in Orlando). Don't they have car seat rentals at the airport? Like we could rent one in Philly and return it in Orlando. Like the tv's . That would things so much easier.

THESCHULTZFIVE said:
See my main problem isn't carrying it through the airport, it's having it sitting in our hotel room taking up space and in our stateroom which is tight enough(from what I hear) without having this useless item in it(useless while we're in Orlando). Don't they have car seat rentals at the airport? Like we could rent one in Philly and return it in Orlando. Like the tv's . That would things so much easier.

Would you want to use a rental?

There are lots of sources that suggest avoiding a "used car seat" (do a Google on "used car seat" and see, but use the quotation marks or you'll get a bunch of hits on "...car seat should be used...", or something like that ).

All the reasons for skipping a used car seat are only exasterbated by the concept of a rental seat. Then of course is the "rental abuse" factor (i.e. sinch the renter doesn't own the device, they seem to not be obligated to take good care of it).

Try a few searches (or start a new topic) on what to do with a car seat. There have been a few creative ideas. In our case, we left a Britax car seat in the travel bag sitting on the Veranda during a 14-day repo on Deck 5 without the cusin absorbing moisture, sea salt, or other odors. Other suggestions have included leaving it in the shower when the shower is not in use. If you always get on the bed from the feet side, you might be able to store it beside the bed (basically "in the way" of just the night stand). If the seat is too big to do that, it might fit by laying it on its back and storing the "head" portion under the bed while only the "seat" portion sticks out.

My personal opinion is that if you're only dealing with one car seat, then you'll be able to manage trying to store it in your cabin. If you have two car seats, well I'm not in that position at this time, so I'm not sure what I would do if I had an inside cabin. If I had a veranda, then I'd still take two seats along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter