Can't request "near lobby"?

magicaldisney

DIS Veteran
I just called to put a request of "near lobby" for our Grand Villa at Kidani for December. I was told they could no longer put that request on a reservation for Kidani. Is this new? Is this right? OR should I call back a try for a different CM?

I just called to put a request of "near lobby" for our Grand Villa at Kidani for December. I was told they could no longer put that request on a reservation for Kidani. Is this new? Is this right? OR should I call back a try for a different CM?

If it is in fact a request no longer taken, it is new, since I put that request in for a 2BR about 2 months ago. It is possible that it relates only to GVs or that the rep just gave wrong info. I would probably call back and try again. Also, the change made may simply be one of computer recognition in that you now have to ask for something else that the computer recognizes that accomplishes almost the same thing such as close to community hall, close to the bus stop or close to pool.

It seems that the DVC has made several changes to our available requests and they forgot to tell us about it. :confused3

:earsboy: Bill

According to MS there has not been any changes in our ability to request a room view. The problem seems to be a training issue.

:earsboy: Bill

I said to her that last year I requested close to lobby (didn't get it, but I did request it). She said that because it can't be guaranteed they are no longer letting us request "near lobby". My confusion is.....a request is a request, I'm not expecting a guarantee because it is a request, if we were looking for guarantees they would make it a booking category like HH became with OKW. Anyways, she said the best she could do is request "near elevator". I don't see the difference with requesting an upper or lower floor.....that's not guaranteed either. We will be fine no matter which room we have so I'm not whining, I just know we've requested near lobby before, especially when my Mom has joined us.

I said to her that last year I requested close to lobby (didn't get it, but I did request it). She said that because it can't be guaranteed they are no longer letting us request "near lobby". My confusion is.....a request is a request, I'm not expecting a guarantee because it is a request, if we were looking for guarantees they would make it a booking category like HH became with OKW. Anyways, she said the best she could do is request "near elevator". I don't see the difference with requesting an upper or lower floor.....that's not guaranteed either. We will be fine no matter which room we have so I'm not whining, I just know we've requested near lobby before, especially when my Mom has joined us.

I would call back and try again. Also, the worst request you can put in is "near elevator" without naming the elevator because you could end up anywhere in the building since there are elevators along the wings including one closer to the end of each wing.

Are there any GV at Kidani near the lobby? Maybe that's the problem.

Edit: Never mind I found that a GV is located in the second bead from the lobby.

This is the second thread like this that I have seen today. The other one involved a request for Vero Beach. But the member got the same answer, "we don't let you request that."

I'll see if I can find it again and post the link.

This is the second thread like this that I have seen today. The other one involved a request for Vero Beach. But the member got the same answer, "we don't let you request that."

I'll see if I can find it again and post the link.

I just saw that post. Very interesting. What's so weird is that we were able to request these things before. I'll call back tomorrow and see what another CM says. At the very least I'm going to see if they will let me name an elevator as drusba said.

The explanation I've gotten is that in the request fields DVC has come up with certain fixed requests, where as before they could type in. It seems to be tied in to the online booking/online check in and use of drop down boxes.

However the CM who told me this also said they could place the request in a notes field and that the room assignor might notice it - but no guarantee! :goodvibes Some CM's may not think to add a note or may not be willing to I guess.

The explanation I've gotten is that in the request fields DVC has come up with certain fixed requests, where as before they could type in. It seems to be tied in to the online booking/online check in and use of drop down boxes.

However the CM who told me this also said they could place the request in a notes field and that the room assignor might notice it - but no guarantee! :goodvibes Some CM's may not think to add a note or may not be willing to I guess.

As for the first part, I was told the same thing. When I called about a BWV request, I was told they could only select "pool view" and not specify the quiet pool or theme pool.

If it is accurate, it is new. I stayed there in late May and requested near the lobby. HOWEVER, we had a verifiable medical reason for making the request.

When we stayed at Kidani last month, we were also unable to request to be near the lobby.

Our room ending up being in the first bead, though, so all was good.

When we stayed at Kidani last month, we were also unable to request to be near the lobby.

Our room ending up being in the first bead, though, so all was good.

Did you make any request that got you in the first bead or did you just leave it to chance?

Can you request near transportation? That's basically the same thing and was a BWV option earlier this month.

Maybe at Kidani they were getting so many "near lobby" requests (given the long distance hallways at the resort) that they decided just not to take them anymore.

After all, someone has to end up at the far end of the hall...and even though it is just a request and not guaranteed, I'm sure many people still complain to the front desk for not getting near lobby when requested.

After all, someone has to end up at the far end of the hall...and even though it is just a request and not guaranteed, I'm sure many people still complain to the front desk for not getting near lobby when requested.

Our last trip to Kidani we were in the very very very last bead. We were quite surprised how much we didn't mind it. It made for a very quick walk to Jambo to enjoy Mara. We are a family who doesn't mind walking so the walk to Kidani's lobby was fine for us as well.

This trip however, we will have my elderly mother who just had knee replacement. She's feeling she might need a wheelchair in the parks so I'm trying to lighten her walking load at the resort. There is still 4 months to go and things will probably improve for her. We will be happy where ever we are put though. Always make lemonade out of lemons, right?

I'm betting that it's because there are too many "near lobby" requests, if it is indeed true.

We were there in April, and I had requested near Rafiki elevator, which is between the 2nd and 3rd beads on the North wing. Our room was in the 4th bead on the SOUTH wing. Our reservation confirmation noted "elevator" only. :rolleyes: I was trying to minimize walking because of my elderly mother and pregnant daughter. Well, that didn't work.

In their defense, we had two rooms booked (1 savanna and 1 standard), and I must say that they were pretty close to each other. Mom didn't end up going to the lobby much, which was good, and she never ended up going to the pool.

Oh and I had done online check-in. I have no idea if that had anything to do with it or not. Maybe they were just aiming for room ready. My DH tried to see if there was anything closer to the lobby...nada.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter