Canceling our 1st trip.....Again

I don't think it will matter when you go. You spend more time looking for the bad things then enjoying the good things.

UPDATE:

Got over my hissy fit and decided to keep trip. We knew Screamin would be down, so we may just hit Knotts Berry for a day to get our coaster on. Pirates should be open. Matterhorn's closure is only in April. All other Disneyland Park rides appear to be open. I think we'll be fine.

I am glad that you reconsidered. If this is your first trip then you won't have anything to compare it to and will likely not even notice what is missing. It's nice that feedback here has calmed things down for you - I have had that happen before where sharing with people helps with a decision. Have fun!

UPDATE:

Got over my hissy fit and decided to keep trip. We knew Screamin would be down, so we may just hit Knotts Berry for a day to get our coaster on. Pirates should be open. Matterhorn's closure is only in April. All other Disneyland Park rides appear to be open. I think we'll be fine.
I hope you find the magic. We will be there the last couple days of your visit to see the opening of the Incredicoaster. This weekend I drove down for the new fireworks, definitely worth the time. Hope you enjoy!

We went March 8-15..Splash Mountain was closed, Dumbo was closed, there were no fireworks at Magic Kingdom plus the walls were up all down main street for the trolley track replacement. Plus the closure of California Screaming and the ferris wheel. However, we still had an amazing time, none of those closures phased us at all! Don't regret going at all at that time :)

OP, I am very happy you reconsidered! Even if some things are down, that will just give you more motivation to plan a return trip!

There are 58 “rides” at Disneyland Resort (that counts for anything moving, including boats and driving vehicles, which are very much a part of the Magic-make sure you ride the 2nd level of the Omnibus to get a different perspective on Main Street windows). If Pirates, Screamin, Fun wheel, Triton carousel that still leaves 54!

For shows, yes you will be likely missing World of Color, but you still have Fantasmic (wonderful wonderful), fireworks (best seen from Main Street/Hub), and Paint the Night (if you aim for the second parade you can easily walk up to a curb spot about 30 minutes before; benches are even available if you are willing to sit for 1 hr-not too hard after a long day of touring the parks). Then daytime there are Frozen and Mickey and Magical Map, which IMHO, are better than any daytime shows at Disneyworld (I would accept arguments for FotLK or Finding Nemo), plus numerous street-mosphere in both parks.

I think you will have plenty to do and see!

Oddly, it's sold out on Disneyland's website, but rooms are available on other travel sites.

All hotels sell blocks of rooms on ta sites. The ones on the TA sites aren’t available through the hotel and vice versa.

I think that lowering the cost would help bring more magic *for you*, and you are important. CCI is a time-honored great offsite motel, and is at a more palatable cost.

This is your first trip. You’ll be at the parks! Spending so much on DLH will make you want to be at DLH. Which is a great way to spend a trip! But then you’ll miss the parks. It could end in a feeling of being unsettled and anxious. And even if that’s only in your mind and heart, again, you matter.

Something I’ve recently realized, and realized far too late for my relationship (seriously, vacations have played a partial part in our demise), is that having a perfect trip isn’t in the trappings. If you make yourself miserable trying to make the perfect trip you’ll miss the perfection of the trip you’re on.

I say move back to CCI, have some bucks leftover to play with (or plan a future trip with), and make everyone happy.

UPDATE:

It's better to have your
Smiley-tantrum.gif~c200
before the trip.

With your travel dates, I feel you'll have the opportunity to experience the NEW Pixar Pier and rides there on your last day.
Pixar Pier Soft openings might also be something you can enjoy.
Staying on-site helps getting a few more rides in during EE.

Enjoy your family time at DLR.

Geemo

UPDATE:

Great idea. KBF is opening a new coaster (Hang Time) and recently re-tracked Ghostrider. Splurge on some Fast Lane passes and enjoy yourself. I haven't been to KBF with Fast Lane passes but I have used them at WOF in Kansas City, well worth the money.

Something I’ve recently realized, and realized far too late for my relationship (seriously, vacations have played a partial part in our demise), is that having a perfect trip isn’t in the trappings. If you make yourself miserable trying to make the perfect trip you’ll miss the perfection of the trip you’re on.
Sorry about the demise of your relationship, but this is very true. There's no such thing as a perfect vacation, especially when kids are involved, and trying to create one will only lead to disappointment. We had a somewhat un-magical trip to WDW in 2015 because I tried way too hard to make it the BIGGEST, BEST TRIP EVER. It wasn't all bad (I mean, we were at Disney after all) but I don't think the grandmothers will ever come to WDW with us again after that and I got home just wanting a do-over. So we took a year off, and when we went back last year with just the four of us, I took a much more laid-back approach to planning and we had a much better time.

OP, I'm glad you decided to keep your trip!

I canceled my trip too.I’m absolutely beyond frustrated with the immense amounts of closures.

Not dropping hundreds of dollars with no world of color, no paradise pier, no pirates.

I also just frustrated because the whole Pixar circus is so cheap and doesn’t work thematically in California Adventure. I can’t seem to reationalize the closures for insultingly cheap overlays.

The only safe time to go this year to see rides without overlays and without refurbs, is LATE June to mid August. That’s absolutely insane.

Matterhorn reopens on 4/20, according to the DL online calander.

Thematically, I feel the same x100 when it comes to Marvel. Ugh... They just need to change the park's name to Disney Miscellaneous Adventure already. :rotfl:

I'm so glad that you decided to go after all, OP! Disneyland is my favorite (though I do have west coast bias :) ) and no trip will ever be 100% perfect. But, even with the closures you stated, I think you will have an amazing trip! :)

UPDATE:

Nothing like a day at Knott's to make you realize how amazing Disneyland is. ;)

Glad you decided to keep your trip. I'm sure you will have a great time. The DLH IS amazing. You are going to love it. Nothing at WDW compares.

Nothing like a day at Knott's to make you realize how amazing Disneyland is. ;)

Glad you decided to keep your trip. I'm sure you will have a great time. The DLH IS amazing. You are going to love it. Nothing at WDW compares.

Don't get me wrong, I love Disneyland, but i think that's an unfair knock on Knott's.

I went to Knott's last summer with our kids (7 and 9), since my son was finally 48". Prior to that, the last time I went was 2001. I was very pleasantly surprised. Yes, the wait times for coasters are an adjustment after having FP at Disneyland, but it was a leaps and bounds better experience than the California Six Flags parks or Great America (all of which we've visited multiple times). The park employees were very friendly and engaged and they were pretty efficient in loading and unloading. My son loved the Iron Reef ride and Montezuma's Revenge, our daughter loved Supreme Scream and Silver Bullet, they both loved Ghost Rider and Pony Express. There was lots of entertainment throughout the day and they've stepped up the theming with the Fiesta area. Food quality at the restaurants was decent even if overpriced. My kids left wanting Season Passes, which the grandparents got us for Christmas for 1/8th the cost of the cheapest Disneyland annual pass, with no blackout dates and including the water park. We've gone once already this year during "Peanuts Fest" and are planning 3 days over the summer during a weeklong trip, including 2 days at Disney (we live in Sacramento, so it's not exactly around the corner for us) and might go back for the Halloween event.

Don't get me wrong, I love Disneyland, but i think that's an unfair knock on Knott's.

I went to Knott's last summer with our kids (7 and 9), since my son was finally 48". Prior to that, the last time I went was 2001. I was very pleasantly surprised. Yes, the wait times for coasters are an adjustment after having FP at Disneyland, but it was a leaps and bounds better experience than the California Six Flags parks or Great America (all of which we've visited multiple times). The park employees were very friendly and engaged and they were pretty efficient in loading and unloading. My son loved the Iron Reef ride and Montezuma's Revenge, our daughter loved Supreme Scream and Silver Bullet, they both loved Ghost Rider and Pony Express. There was lots of entertainment throughout the day and they've stepped up the theming with the Fiesta area. Food quality at the restaurants was decent even if overpriced. My kids left wanting Season Passes, which the grandparents got us for Christmas for 1/8th the cost of the cheapest Disneyland annual pass, with no blackout dates and including the water park. We've gone once already this year during "Peanuts Fest" and are planning 3 days over the summer during a weeklong trip, including 2 days at Disney (we live in Sacramento, so it's not exactly around the corner for us) and might go back for the Halloween event.

Eh, agree to disagree. We get in for free once a year (they do a thing for military and fire/LEO's). We had an okay time last year but it was WAY less fun than any day at DL. All we paid for was parking and food and that felt like just enough to spend for what we got. Numerous coasters were down, there was no live entertainment, and the food was terrible and way, way expensive. We liked the Pony Express too, but Ghost Rider, Supreme Scream, and Silver Bullet were ALL closed for renovation. This was a weekend in November, but still.

We would never pay full price.

Eh, agree to disagree. We get in for free once a year (they do a thing for military and fire/LEO's). We had an okay time last year but it was WAY less fun than any day at DL. All we paid for was parking and food and that felt like just enough to spend for what we got. Numerous coasters were down, there was no live entertainment, and the food was terrible and way, way expensive. We liked the Pony Express too, but Ghost Rider, Supreme Scream, and Silver Bullet were ALL closed for renovation. This was a weekend in November, but still.

We would never pay full price.

Yup, this. We only go when military is offered free tickets or out of town guests reeeeally want to go. It's not terrible necessarily but its just not Disney magical. And the food is pretty bad. And the bathrooms are gross. Everything feels a little more dirty and worn than at DL.

Yup, this. We only go when military is offered free tickets or out of town guests reeeeally want to go. It's not terrible necessarily but its just not Disney magical. And the food is pretty bad. And the bathrooms are gross. Everything feels a little more dirty and worn than at DL.

And the themeing is weak, at best. That whole "Boardwalk" area is so sad...

All hotels sell blocks of rooms on ta sites. The ones on the TA sites aren’t available through the hotel and vice versa.

I think that lowering the cost would help bring more magic *for you*, and you are important. CCI is a time-honored great offsite motel, and is at a more palatable cost.

This is your first trip. You’ll be at the parks! Spending so much on DLH will make you want to be at DLH. Which is a great way to spend a trip! But then you’ll miss the parks. It could end in a feeling of being unsettled and anxious. And even if that’s only in your mind and heart, again, you matter.

I say move back to CCI, have some bucks leftover to play with (or plan a future trip with), and make everyone happy.

I really went back and forth on this a lot. If I didn't stay at the DLH, I'd never forgive myself. Just to go back to the hotel each night and have a few drinks at Trader Sam's. Plus, wife and kids don't know we're staying there and I'm so excited to surprise them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter