Canceling our 1st trip.....Again

I live in WA and disagree with you entirely.

L.
Im not local either and disagree. But I also don’t like all the advanced planning required to do a WDW trip. I like getting FP day of. I like being able to book dining even only a week out. And I like the wider options of close hotels. I like the DLH and consider it nicer/friendlier than the Contemporary. I liked AKL but hated the distance. (Written as I sit at Carnation Cafe for breakfast getting a ressie this am. Couldn’t do that at WDW. )

Im not local either and disagree. But I also don’t like all the advanced planning required to do a WDW trip. I like getting FP day of. I like being able to book dining even only a week out. And I like the wider options of close hotels. I like the DLH and consider it nicer/friendlier than the Contemporary. I liked AKL but hated the distance. (Written as I sit at Carnation Cafe for breakfast getting a ressie this am. Couldn’t do that at WDW. )
I'm jealous. Enjoy your breakfast :)

Now you know something that I didn't know until this year: no ride is safe unless it's peak summer time, or in the middle of a holiday overlay, (it seems like they have most things open at this time) .

If you want everything open, you're going to have to fight more crowds, unfortunately.
We learned this the hard way in 2009. We had gone in late May/early June 2005 and everything was up and running, newly refurbished, clean, and beautiful. We went the first week in 2009 and there was a day they closed early for a grad night (no prewarning), half the parades didn't run, there were no scheduled fireworks, the train didn't run until mid-morning, etc. Plus, CA was under major reconstruction, adding World of Color, so there were walls everywhere and no water in the basins. I was stunned to find out that in California, Disney defines "summer" as mid-June. Even on that first week of June you miss out on a whole lot of stuff!

I realized that the only reason everything had been up and running in 2005 was because it was the 50th Anniversary!

I realized that the only reason everything had been up and running in 2005 was because it was the 50th Anniversary!

Not everything was up and running in May or June; space mountain was still closed for their almost 2 year refurb. Opened back up July 15. :)

Which I know because my first adult trip back was later that year and I didn’t know anything about it until later when I looked it up.

I understand. We have our first trip planned for June 17-24. We actually added a day when they announced the opening of Pixar pier. We are staying at DLH and the possible closures in DTD have me nervous, as well as the ride closures.

I hope pirates and Matterhorn stay on schedule. My kids are excite, but if those are closed I think I’d want to bump our trip. I’m really hoping woc will open again, but prepared to be disappointed.

I thought we were doing the right thing picking summer. ☹️ This Disneyland trip planning has been anything but fun and exciting. Seems like constant disappointing news. I guess when stuff closes at WDW it doesn’t bother us as much because we’ve been so often and know we’ll be back.

If you go expecting everything to be open you're always going to be disappointed.

It happens at Disney World too. You might get a little more notice of closures there but then again you've planned all your dining and park days at 6 months out so it's not really any difference. The problem here is one of expectations.

Ride closures are going to happen - that is just the reality of Disneyland. We were very disapointed to be going when Screamin was down as it's our favorite ride but it happens. I get your frustration but honestly Disney doesn't have to care about the tourist or the local or whether people are upset they are switching things to Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars. They have more demand than they have supply so they can set the terms and conditions and the price of the contract and no one can do a thing about it. Sure you can say "I won't go" and they won't notice!

People think I’m nuts but our very first trip ever we went the week between Christmas and New Years. 3 days in a row of capacity crowds. We loved every single second and every single ride was open and every single show going on.

You don’t get both at Disneyland. Both low crowds and everything open.

Heck you don’t really even get low crowds. I’ll take crowded and everything open over low crowds anyway.

For me personally, crowds don't bother me at DL or anywhere else. The last time I went, I went during mid-late July so it was pretty busy. But I wanted minimal refurbishments, maximum hours open, maximum entertainment available, and guaranteed good weather (I like the heat!). The only drawback of bigger crowds is longer lines, but I used RideMax (which I 150% recommend and will use again) to combat that drawback and it worked out fantastically for me. I got on tons of rides every day thanks to their system, and the best part was it included nice big chunks of free time where I could hop into any decent looking ride lineup I wanted to, or just wander and check out the sights. So it struck a nice balance between structured enough to get my money's worth from the trip, and not so structured that I felt like I was on a guided tour. Next time I go, I will also be going in July or August.

I can't. But the difference will be made up in the cost of the hotel. DLH was over $600 a night. We can stay at a WDW Moderate for a 3rd of the price.
Why are you staying at DLH if you prefer WDW moderates? Why not stay at the Candy Cane? Or the Hilton? Or At Springhill? Or any number of other places that are moderate or better in the near area? That said, $600 a night is high at DLH, it is usually high $400s for a standard, $600 is usually a premium room. That said, the DLH is sold out for your dates.

I'm sorry you are having a hard time finding a perfect trip. But sometimes you just have to jump in. This weekend was a great trip. Short, but fun. I enjoy being able to just wing it and not plan it months in advance.

... The problem here is one of expectations.

I think this point is key here. If you go expecting to be disappointed, expecting to compare one park with another (and expecting DLR to fail in the comparison), expecting a "perfect" trip that depends on numerous factors beyond your control (but complaining about what is within your control, e.g. attitude), then no trip on earth is going to be good enough or perfect enough. There isn't enough magic in any park anywhere to make up for unrealistic expectations and lack of positive attitude. A positive outlook that is willing to find the magic wherever it happens can make any trip into a wonderful experience, no matter what frustrations life throws your way.

Last edited:
I've said it before and I will say it again, as an annual passholder local since 2001...JULY IS THE BEST MONTH TO GO. Period. It is not that crowded...so many AP are blocked, it's actually nice. Everything is open. Parks have long hours. All entertainment is taking place nightly.
I hope I can quote you on that after our first trip! We'll be there July 3rd-7th. I'm expecting it to be nuts, especially July 4th, so if it's not I'll be pleasantly surprised. But at least most rides should be open, plus Pixar Fest. And if anything we want to do/see is closed, I just look at it as an excuse to go back. ;)

Oh, and June 30 is the last day of operations for Rainforest Cafe, ESPN Zone,Earl of Sandwich, and Starbucks.
Bummer, I was planning to go to Rainforest Cafe our first night. We went to the one at Animal Kingdom last year and my kids thought it was the greatest restaurant ever. I think they liked it more than the Disney character meals! LOL. Any recommendations for a fun first night dinner, not in a park?

I hope I can quote you on that after our first trip! We'll be there July 3rd-7th. I'm expecting it to be nuts, especially July 4th, so if it's not I'll be pleasantly surprised. But at least most rides should be open, plus Pixar Fest. And if anything we want to do/see is closed, I just look at it as an excuse to go back. ;)

Bummer, I was planning to go to Rainforest Cafe our first night. We went to the one at Animal Kingdom last year and my kids thought it was the greatest restaurant ever. I think they liked it more than the Disney character meals! LOL. Any recommendations for a fun first night dinner, not in a park?

July 4 last year was a pretty great day...minor crowds. We enjoyed it very much.

How about Goofy's Kitchen or Storyteller's Cafe for a first night dinner? Both character meals, an fun for the kids.

Reactions: Ava
July 4 last year was a pretty great day...minor crowds. We enjoyed it very much.

How about Goofy's Kitchen or Storyteller's Cafe for a first night dinner? Both character meals, an fun for the kids.
I think storytellers only has characters at breakfast and brunch.

The magic of Disneyland cannot be explained, but I know for certain that it is not in the rides or the shows. The magic is there, no matter what. It is a matter of the heart.
Go on your trip as planned and let yourself have fun.

This, 1000% There is something so special about Disneyland that I haven't found in either WDW or Disneyland Paris. We were just there at the beginning of the month and even though we had rides closed as well as rides breaking down, I would do that trip again in a heartbeat. Go and enjoy what is there, don't focus on what isn't.

Why are you staying at DLH if you prefer WDW moderates? Why not stay at the Candy Cane? Or the Hilton? Or At Springhill? Or any number of other places that are moderate or better in the near area? That said, $600 a night is high at DLH, it is usually high $400s for a standard, $600 is usually a premium room. That said, the DLH is sold out for your dates.

I'm sorry you are having a hard time finding a perfect trip. But sometimes you just have to jump in. This weekend was a great trip. Short, but fun. I enjoy being able to just wing it and not plan it months in advance.

Didn't say I preferred them. I just want the most Disney magic I can get, and at WDW, Moderates do the trick. We had originally booked Candy Cane Inn, but DLH looked so amazing, and I wanted to surprise the family. The lowest I have found the hotel all summer is $507 per night. We're paying $542 for a standard room.

Oddly, it's sold out on Disneyland's website, but rooms are available on other travel sites.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Got over my hissy fit and decided to keep trip. We knew Screamin would be down, so we may just hit Knotts Berry for a day to get our coaster on. Pirates should be open. Matterhorn's closure is only in April. All other Disneyland Park rides appear to be open. I think we'll be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter