Canadians going to Hawaii - connecting through YVR

Disney Fan-tasmic

Earning My Ears
I have a question about checked baggage on connecting flights from Vancouver to Honolulu. We're arriving in Vancouver from Toronto using WestJet, and from what I see on the Vancouver airport site, we'll need to collect our baggage in Vancouver. Is this right? I thought for connecting flights it went through with the airline.

Thanks for any help!

The luggage goes straight through. You do need to go through US customs in Vancouver where they will make you wait in a room until your bag is confirmed on a screen. Once that happens you can go talk with a US agent to be cleared through.
we have a 2 hour layover,,,hope that is enough time in Vancouver

We're going on WestJet, so I hope it's similar to Air Canada. I was worried about the layover time, but it sounds like it shouldn't be too bad!

we have a 2 hour layover,,,hope that is enough time in Vancouver
We are also connecting in YVR when we travel and I got too nervous about a 2 hour layover. I've read that 90 minutes (on the YVR and Air Canada sites as well as other various forums) is the minimum so I'm sure you'll be fine.

We've never done a domestic connection before heading to the US before. This will be our first. I assume that when we get to the airport (YYZ in our case), we are considered travelling domestic first so getting through security is a little faster than travelling directly to the US, right? Our flight is the first flight to YVR that day so we are trying to time our airport arrival time accordingly. (I know the airport lines have been a crapstorm lately.)

We've never done a domestic connection before heading to the US before. This will be our first. I assume that when we get to the airport (YYZ in our case), we are considered travelling domestic first so getting through security is a little faster than travelling directly to the US, right? Our flight is the first flight to YVR that day so we are trying to time our airport arrival time accordingly. (I know the airport lines have been a crapstorm lately.)
Good question,,,We are still going to be there 3 hours early. We fly July 18th,,and You?

Just reading about the return trip home. We also connect in YVR and it seems we have to grab our luggage - aircanada.com says before customs, YVR.ca says after. Which one is it? How has the process been with the airport delays lately? How long did it take.

You’ll be flying domestic - though that doesn’t mean that getting through security will be faster. They are totally separate security lines and sometimes the security for the domestic gates can be longer than those for the cross-border gates. You won’t, however, have to pre-clear US customs in Toronto, so that will save you time.

Thought I'd follow up with my experience! When we left, we got to the airport almost 3.5 hours early (took less time than usual to get there). It went surprisingly quickly at Pearson, I guess we were lucky. A couple of the kiosks were out of order but otherwise all was fine. Our bags went directly to Hawaii and when we had our layover they just asked how many bags we had. Coming home was a different story. Westjet changed our flight 3 times. Ended up getting home the day after we expected. The line to check in for our flight from Honolulu was the longest one. Plane was over an hour delayed, but since our flights had been changed, the layover was over 5 hours, so we had time. Hope this helps anyone travelling soon!

Thought I'd follow up with my experience! When we left, we got to the airport almost 3.5 hours early (took less time than usual to get there). It went surprisingly quickly at Pearson, I guess we were lucky. A couple of the kiosks were out of order but otherwise all was fine. Our bags went directly to Hawaii and when we had our layover they just asked how many bags we had. Coming home was a different story. Westjet changed our flight 3 times. Ended up getting home the day after we expected. The line to check in for our flight from Honolulu was the longest one. Plane was over an hour delayed, but since our flights had been changed, the layover was over 5 hours, so we had time. Hope this helps anyone travelling soon!
ty flying AC see how it goes

This is very good to know. If you don't mind me asking, what time was your flight scheduled leave Pearson? Also, how long would you say it took you to clear customs in YVR?

ty flying AC see how it goes
I'll be looking forward to your experience! We are also flying AC. I did get notice last Thursday that our flight times changed slightly - departing/arriving +/- 5 minutes on most legs. I'm dreading full out flight cancellations or major flight changes like what I've seen with those flying WJ like Disney Fan-tasmic mentioned.

This is very good to know. If you don't mind me asking, what time was your flight scheduled leave Pearson? Also, how long would you say it took you to clear customs in YVR?

I'll be looking forward to your experience! We are also flying AC. I did get notice last Thursday that our flight times changed slightly - departing/arriving +/- 5 minutes on most legs. I'm dreading full out flight cancellations or major flight changes like what I've seen with those flying WJ like Disney Fan-tasmic mentioned.
We got the same notice for return flight...seems they think wind will be stronger on return as the depart is same..but arrival was earlier...lol..im sure to get a couple more changes..we are going no matter what..when do you fly?

We got the same notice for return flight...seems they think wind will be stronger on return as the depart is same..but arrival was earlier...lol..im sure to get a couple more changes..we are going no matter what..when do you fly?
I'm hoping no major changes but you're right. We're going no matter what. We're there in August.

Sorry for the late response, hope I still go to you before you left! Our flight was scheduled for noon at Pearson. We arrived about 3.5 hours early (not as much traffic to get there as expected). YVR was super fast. Less than an hour, definitely!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter