Can you overdo the character meals?

Disneyonmymind

DIS Veteran
Hello :wave2:
I am planning a trip (8 nights) this summer with 3 kids (8,8,2) and was wondering how many character meals? We have only done CP (lunch) before but we all really loved it.

I am interested in trying for CRT but realize that I may not get it. Other than that, I am thinking about another meal at CP, LTT, and Garden Grill. Is that too many character meals? :crazy:

TIA,
Jacke :flower:

Last fall I went to disney with my 4 year old daughter and my 6 year old son and we did CRT, Crystal palace, Chef mickeys and the Ice cream social and I really did not feel like that was too much. When we go this fall I think we may add one. I figure we are going to eat anyway. Why not make it a meal the kids will enjoy and behave at. I think you should go for it. :flower:

This past Oct we did Garden Grill ice cream (Mickey & friends), Crystal Palace (Pooh & friends) and Chef Mickey's (Mickey)

this Aug Im planning on both Chef Mickey's (brkfst this time, in their cook outfits) and Cape May char brkfst (in their beach gear) - both have the Mickey gang
Chef Mickey's day we check into WL (Th) and Cape May day we check into BCV (Sun) - we'll be waiting 5nights before we get to our 1st char meal

I think it depends on your family. We did 3 character meals 2 years ago and they begged not to have to go on the last one so we didn't. Last year we went on one (crystal palace) and this year they only want to do Chef Mickey. When we get closer to the time we leave, I will check again, but right now we are down to one.

Our 5 year old loves them so we do one every other day. So if we are there for a week, we go to three. It doesn't seem like too much. We enjoy them too!

I think it depends on the group you're traveling with. We usually don't do more than 1 or 2 character meals, only b/c we're not big on eating big meals...(Except for DH lol) So it's somewhat of a waste of $$. I have to go atleast once though for the characters! We're also not traveling with kids, so it may be different if you have kids with you.

Our kids look forward to them. We also do one about everyother day. We went to a sit down restaurant last year and the dd'a asked where they were. We just love them all. We do try to mix it up a bit. Princess at one Pooh and friends at another and Mickey and the group at yet another. This works for us but we are true addicts to everything about the mouse.

:wave: :wave2: princess: princess:

Disneyonmymind said:
I am planning a trip (8 nights) this summer with 3 kids (8,8,2) and was wondering how many character meals? We have only done CP (lunch) before but we all really loved it.

I am interested in trying for CRT but realize that I may not get it. Other than that, I am thinking about another meal at CP, LTT, and Garden Grill. Is that too many character meals? :crazy:

TIA,

Nope, not too many IMHO. We enjoy doing at least 3 or 4. We try to do at least one Mickey one, one princess one, and one Pooh one. I've even duplicated a few times, but not often. One year when PSB was new we did both that and CRT and last year because the Cinderella dinner was new, we did that and CRT.

For how long you are staying, 3 or 4 is not bad at all! It really is a wonderful way to see the characters.

It depends on the family of course, but I don't think you're planning too many character meals. When our kids were younger, we did 3 or 4 character meals a week. Now that they're older and the character meals are more for Mom than anyone else ;) we usually do two or three per trip.

I agree with Kaycee. When my kids were young we did 3-4 per visit. I'm so happy we did that, so many wonderful memories. Now that my kids are old we only do one and that is to make my happy. Now they take pictues of me!!

Have Fun!!!

DisneyMim said:
I agree with Kaycee. When my kids were young we did 3-4 per visit. I'm so happy we did that, so many wonderful memories. Now that my kids are old we only do one and that is to make my happy. Now they take pictues of me!!

Have Fun!!!

I also agree with Kaycee and you! ;) When my DDs are older, the character meals will decrease and they'll be more for me!

My kids love them. Last July we did CRT, PSB, Liberty Tree Tavern, Chef Mickey's, CInderella's Gala Feast, Crystal Palace and 1900 Park Fare Breakfast. I like the fact that they get to see their favorite characters and we don't have to chase all over the parks for their autographs. It's also easier for us (3 kids) to use buffets.

Sounds like we are pretty much in agreement then, :cool1: I will try to book all of the ones I mentioned. Since the kids are still young enough to enjoy them, I better do it now. (I know how "bored" those young teens can be sometimes :sad2: ).

Also, we are planning on at least one sit-down meal per day. We are going to do the MYW dining option. Someone brought up a good point. If we dine with the characters, maybe we don't have to wait in line to see them later. :Pinkbounc YAY. I always hate those lines!

Oh, I'm sooo excited. :banana: I have always wanted to do LTT and Garden Grill. I understand GG is closed now but will re-open at the end of June. I sure hope they keep the characters.

Jackie :flower: :flower:

hey i would make as many as you want
you can alway cancel them
we made alot of them in may 2003 and kept only 1 at chef mickeys
we got caught up doing other things

I don't think the problem is the number of character meals but rather, the number of buffet meals. Eating at a buffet is not a relaxing thing to do with kids. I know that they serve you a set meal at LTT, so that should be relaxing.

Disneyonmymind said:

TIA,

FYI...only CP is a buffet in your list...the rest are pre-plated.

Disneyonmymind said:

TIA,

I have one daughter - last time we went for 5 days we did 1) CRT princess breakfast 2) The Storybook princess breakfast in Norway 3) Chef mickey's two times 4) Crystal Palace for lunch 5) Cinderellas Dinner at 1900 Park Fare... ... oh yeah and the raoin forest cafe... but I wouldn't call that a character meal

so that comes out to 6 character meals in 5 days

and as to your question... if you have young kids ... you prety much can't do too many character meals... go to chef mickeys they will love it

I don't think you can over do them if your family enjoys them. So far we are planning on Chef Mickeys, CRT, Crystal Palace, LTT and Breakfastosaurus for our trip in May - One or 2 may get cancelled while we are there but we have the PS's if need be and we plan to use them!! :flower:

For some reason, the thought of all of these character meals is getting me really excited for Disney!!! :earsboy: :earsgirl: princess:

They are not really "just for the kids", are they? ;) ;) :teeth:

Jackie :flower:

love love LOVE the character meals...(oh wait, were we talking about me or my kids?? ;) ) Last trip, we did 3 in 3 days (CP, CRT, and CM)....this next trip, we will (hopefully) do 4 in 6 days--CM, CRT, CP, ice cream social.

They are SO much fun!! I (I mean my kids!) can't wait!! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter