• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can you "haggle" with a small jewelry store?

figaromeetsmarie

DIS Veteran
Can you "haggle" with a small jewelry store over the price of an expensive ring? Just curious.

One of my friends thinks you can, but I think you can't!

Many jewelery stores allow you to "haggle" a bit over the price. Some are more lenient than others about how much of a discount they will give you, but it never hurts to nicely ask if there are any additional discounts on the item you are interested in. Many stores will only discount items for regular customers, customers that are purchasing multiple pieces of jewelry, or cutomers that are looking to purchase a fairly expensive item. Also, how you treat the sales person has a lot to do with it too, because a lot of times the sales clerk is authorized to discount the item a bit, but the difference might come out of their comission on the sale. My family has worked in the jewelry business for quite a few years, and this is how it has been at all of the stores that they have worked at.

with at least a 300% markup I always haggle with small or chain jewelry stores and have found most times they are willing to give me some type of discount

I thought it was a requirement. If I had to pay asking price for my wife's engagment ring, I'd have been in big trouble. I think (in my experiences) the smaller non chain stores are easier to deal with.

I have worked in both a mom and pop type jewelery store in a tourist town no less as well as a big chain store. Price was negotiable in both. In the big chain store we could go down 50% on almost everything, but the more we charged, the higher our commission. At the mom and pop, I could offer 10 or 15% on my own, but the owner (who was nearly always there) knew what he had paid for the piece and was willing to reduce price to get the sale.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter