Can we get our military tickets refunded?

We haven’t cancelled our trip yet, but I had a trip schedule with my sister, who has access to military tickets, and our mother. My mom and I could most likely reschedule but my sister probably can’t. We can’t use the tickets without her there, so is there a chance to get a refund?

I’ve been hearing that they’re just telling people they can use their tickets at other times in the year, but that’s probably not an option for us.

I am in the same boat and no, they will not refund the money. I don’t know how they can keep the money if the one person who can get them isn’t present. I think our best bet is to wait as the situation is still evolving.

I am in the same boat and no, they will not refund the money. I don’t know how they can keep the money if the one person who can get them isn’t present. I think our best bet is to wait as the situation is still evolving.
Our base is refunding the Salute tickets, but also just posted that they can be used in future years by paying the difference in price. Of course I am terrified of the difference :P

We haven’t cancelled our trip yet, but I had a trip schedule with my sister, who has access to military tickets, and our mother. My mom and I could most likely reschedule but my sister probably can’t. We can’t use the tickets without her there, so is there a chance to get a refund?

I’ve been hearing that they’re just telling people they can use their tickets at other times in the year, but that’s probably not an option for us.

Where did she buy them? I think there is a possibility she could use them to purchase two military discounted regular tickets for the two of you. They would apply the price paid for the three toward the two, and then you guys could reimburse her. With the regular ones, she doesn't have to be there.

Our base is refunding the Salute tickets, but also just posted that they can be used in future years by paying the difference in price. Of course I am terrified of the difference :P

Shades of Green is refusing to refund. Unreal. Due to how you have to book fast passes ahead of time you are forced to purchase early. Now, they aren’t refundable and in our case, probably not usable. So, they get to keep the money. Before it’s suggested they can be used the following year, that’s not always an option. So disappointed.

From Steve's website

Cancel If You Must
However many in our military community Do Not Have The Option to Reschedule!
What then?
Room Reservations
Disney has waived cancellation/change fees for check in dates through June 30. Shades of Green has waived cancelation fees through May 30. Most airlines are being very liberal with waiving change fees as well.
Tickets
The big issue for our community are the non-refundable Disney Armed Forces Salute Tickets which expire 18 December 2020 at Disneyland and 19 December 2020 at Walt Disney World.
Disney has not published an official policy for military families who will not be able to use their pre-purchased tickets before they expire due to military schedules.
In a conversation with a Disney official last evening, he recommended that you attempt to return tickets that you cannot use due to your military schedule to your Base Ticket Office where you purchased them. When you are told that the tickets are non-refundable Disney recommends asking again.
My usual recommendation is that you try to escalate your issue politely. Ask them to check with their supervisor, or regional office and to definitely get them to contact Disney Military Sales to get them involved. This is the Disney department that deals with the MWR system and military ticket sales. You could even try to get the Commander of the military unit that oversees your Ticket Office involved if needed.

If all else fails Disney says to call their Reservation Number at 407-939-5277 to ask for assistance.
I encourage Disney to come up with an official, published policy that makes this right for military guests!!!
Something like extending the 2020 Disney Armed Forces Salute Ticket expiration to the end of 2021.
Too many bases and Shades of Green are saying no to ticket refunds.
When Will Disney's Theme Parks Reopen?

Trying Times
These are trying times! Unprecedented really!
Disney parks have closed before, but just for a day or so due to natural disasters and 9/11. Never like this!
All we can do is try to keep in a good frame of mind and think about that next vacation, whenever it might be…
In these trying times, please, please, please keep frequenting all of your favorite Disney planning sites!
Don’t forget us!
Traffic is the lifeblood of websites, so keep on coming back! All sites is trying to come up with interesting content for you while this is going on, but you can always reread some of your favorite posts too!
Thanks for being there for us, we’ll still be here for you.
All my best, Steve

p.s. If you have success returning tickets to your Base Ticket Office, please share where in the comments below!

Planning a Disney Trip? Want to get the best military discounts that are available? Feeling a little confused? See our:

Now, they aren’t refundable and in our case, probably not usable. So, they get to keep the money. Before it’s suggested they can be used the following year, that’s not always an option.
If the issue with future use is that your sister (as the military member) may not be able to join you on a future trip -- you should still be able to use the value of your military tickets to upgrade to regular WDW tickets. I know you'd prefer a refund, but at least they aren't exactly without value even if expired.

Good luck!

If the issue with future use is that your sister (as the military member) may not be able to join you on a future trip -- you should still be able to use the value of your military tickets to upgrade to regular WDW tickets. I know you'd prefer a refund, but at least they aren't exactly without value even if expired.

Good luck!
I also recommend this as an option if you can't get a refund.
I don't know about WDW tickets purchased on base, but the Magic Your Way tickets (regular non-dated) purchased at Shades of Green are good until 2030. If purchased on base, I'd check to see if they can be converted to regular tickets and confirm if they also are good until 2030. (While not as big as a discount, regular military tickets haven't yet gotten the same ticket increase Disney recently made for the public, so would be at least a little cheaper, along with no tax. I expect the Disney ticket increase to hit military bases and Shades of Green by summer - if last year is any indicator).

While Shades of Green isn't currently offering refunds (hopefully this changes!), it seems to me as long as you had a receipt, they'll convert tickets to other kinds of tickets. I've upgraded my 4-day salute to a 5-day with no problem.

OP, so sorry your trip has to be canceled, and I hope you can find a solution.

In a similar situation. We have military tickets for a trip planned at the end of May. To throw an extra wrench in the mix, my nephew is being discharged in June, so if we have to reschedule, we’ll no longer have someone with a valid military ID to activate the tickets. Not sure what to do - I’m fine with paying the difference if they’ll apply the value of the military tickets, but if not, I’d like to try for a refund if we have to cancel. I wish they’d come out and say for sure if applying the value is possible or not.

In a similar situation. We have military tickets for a trip planned at the end of May. To throw an extra wrench in the mix, my nephew is being discharged in June, so if we have to reschedule, we’ll no longer have someone with a valid military ID to activate the tickets. Not sure what to do - I’m fine with paying the difference if they’ll apply the value of the military tickets, but if not, I’d like to try for a refund if we have to cancel. I wish they’d come out and say for sure if applying the value is possible or not.
We are in the same situation. Our trip is May 6. My SIL is a marine and we all have military salute tickets. He is also getting out this summer and we may not have another chance to go as DD is starting a new job in June. I am hoping they can turn them into regular tickets if we can’t go, but doubt it

It may be possible for you to put the purchase price towards the purchase of a new ticket if they won't refund them. Disney isn't so good with refunds, but they'll generally allow people to upgrade ticket options for a price difference.

Amy: Our ITT office where our tickets were purchased from is closed. We had a trip for WDW in May rescheduled for August however we would prefer to change the date now until next year. Was there a number you called or what steps did you take to get a refund?

It sounds like most got theirs at the base and thus need to activate them at the gate, however if you got them from Shades, they come already activated and you wouldn’t need to worry about having the military member/spouse there nor would you need to worry if they discharged and not active/retired.

also disappointing with not refunding and just giving credit is that you will most likely not be able to book fp+ (once reinstated) because you wouldn’t have a valid ticket and the “upgrade” would be done day of first use.

what you might want to look into doing is trying to upgrade now to a myw or stars and stripe ticket.
our salute expire 12/18/20 while our Stars and Stripes expire 12/31/30 yes 2030.
SnS are length of stay so what you would potentially need to do is book for the number of days you want to upgrade too, upgrade, and then you could cancel the reservation if need be.
some leg work but would still save some money and allow for fp+

what you might want to look into doing is trying to upgrade now to a myw or stars and stripe ticket.
our salute expire 12/18/20 while our Stars and Stripes expire 12/31/30 yes 2030.
SnS are length of stay so what you would potentially need to do is book for the number of days you want to upgrade too, upgrade, and then you could cancel the reservation if need be.
some leg work but would still save some money and allow for fp+
Thank you for sharing this! If we've used our Salute tickets for the year and end up taking an extra trip, we've gotten MYW tickets (like this upcoming trip, 2 tickets are Salutes, 2 are MYW). Didn't realize SnS also expire in 2030, good to know.

Amy: Our ITT office where our tickets were purchased from is closed. We had a trip for WDW in May rescheduled for August however we would prefer to change the date now until next year. Was there a number you called or what steps did you take to get a refund?

I actually just refunded this week! I called ITT and received a message to email at a specific address. After I scanned receipt & tickets, they confirmed me to come in and sign a refund sheet. They refunded 100% back to the original payment methods. If I need tickets next year I'll repurchase. I wasn't willing to hold onto $1500 of tix that may or may not be extended, and I felt that we won't see the same Salute offer for next year.

I just called the ITT office at Arnold AFB, where I bought my tickets. She said because of the virus they are refunding the tickets and I just have to bring my vouchers in and she will verify they haven’t been used and we will get the full refund!

I am happy for everyone who has been able to get refunds from their local bases. I wish SOG would consider refunds. We have asked and they have not budged on their no refunds policy (except in a few circumstances not related to Covid and that are the same as pre Covid).

I am happy for everyone who has been able to get refunds from their local bases. I wish SOG would consider refunds. We have asked and they have not budged on their no refunds policy (except in a few circumstances not related to Covid and that are the same as pre Covid).

I agree. It makes me think I should just start ordering tickets from our base ticket office and activate them when we arrive. Knowing we could potentially get a refund. This was our first time purchasing from Shades of Green. I’m curious if I’ll be able to maybe file a credit card dispute if we are unable to go on our trip?

I agree. It makes me think I should just start ordering tickets from our base ticket office and activate them when we arrive. Knowing we could potentially get a refund. This was our first time purchasing from Shades of Green. I’m curious if I’ll be able to maybe file a credit card dispute if we are unable to go on our trip?
I am not sure. We bought 5 6-day tickets around Oct 2019 for a trip that was meant to happen the first week of July. We will now only be able to use 3 because my college aged son and his girlfriend will be unable to use the two we purchased for them before the end of the year. We have contacted SOG about it twice and got canned responses where they didn’t even address most of our questions. I also contacted Disney directly and they indicated they could do nothing for us because their hands are tied by their contract with the the military. The more stories I hear about people being able to return their tickets to local bases makes me doubtful that SOG is in a different position. I don’t see why they can’t do what the local bases are doing. I hope their policy changes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter