Can we chat rain?

Caumann

Earning My Ears
Looks like we might have a few wet days on our trip. A few questions for the experts:
1) what rides typically close in the rain?
2) will parades still run( I'm talking specifically about the Viva navidad street party)
3) any tips /hacks for enjoying the parks in the rain?

Thanks!

Shoes and socks. Bring at least one extra pair of shoes and socks.

Bring a poncho or rain coat. Or buy one at the parks. But we prefer to spend $5 at Wal-Mart vs $15 at the park.

Many outdoor rides will close, but that depends on the level of rain.

Crowds will sometimes be lower, and sometimes not.

Parades may or may not run, again, based on the level of rain.

Disneyland in the rain is so much fun. The only benefit of the park ponchos is that if one tears for any reason they will replace it for you free of charge.

When we went one year it was a light intermittant rain, so most of the attractions were open except for those that had a slipping hazard (Tarzan's treehouse, Teacups, and Alice in Wonderland). So many of the attractions are fully indoors especially in DL.

+1 on extra socks. Waterproof shoes/boots are also a good idea.

Thoughts as they come to me: If you ride an outdoor ride when it’s been raining, keep in mind that water often pools on the seats. They aren’t just wet but an 1/2 inch or so deep with water. Either wipe with a towel or pull your poncho/ rain coat down over your tush before sitting. Wool socks will keep your feet warm even if they get wet. If you’re wearing a poncho, put a hat on over the hood, it will keep the hood in place and keep water off your face (and glasses). If you have a stroller, a rain poncho can be put over it to keep it dry. If it’s going to rain all day, consider getting a rain coat and pants instead of a poncho, also a waterproof phone case. I agree with waterproof foot wear, there are often many small puddles in the park, especially Disneyland. A warm lunch like the grilled cheese and tomato soup combo at Jolly Holiday is perfect for a day like this.

Have fun!

1) Pretty much any ride that has an outdoor element has the potential to close, but it depends on how intense the rain is and for how long it has been raining. It seems like Mad Tea Cups and Alice close pretty quickly once it starts to rain. Other rides, like BTMRR and RSR seem to stay open if it's just a light rain, but can close if the rain gets heavy or water starts to pond on the track. As others have mentioned, be prepared for wet seats on rides that do have outdoor elements (like Small World).

2) Again it depends a lot on how heavily it is raining. The parades will probably run if it's just a light misting, but if it's been steadily raining or raining enough that it makes the ground slick, the parades and shows won't run. They don't want to damage the costumes and floats or risk performers slipping and getting hurt.

3) Bring extra shoes and socks or just wear water-based shoes (like tevas or crocs). Have Ziploc bags for things that cannot get wet (like phones, camera, etc.). Either wear a hoodie that is water proof/resistant or bring a poncho.

Thanks for all the tips. Will definitely pack rain jackets & extra socks. Ziplock bags & fast absorb mini towels for rides sound like a great idea too!

For those that have done the "extra sock" route; did you wait to change socks until after your shoes had dried? Or did you wear water-proof shoes so that only the tops of the socks got wet?

I experienced a very rainy day on my trip in December (on the 6th), and I would disagree with ironband74's opinion (although I will concede that I was in DCA, rather than DL, so maybe it makes a difference.) What made it miserable (and made me decide to go back to my hotel for a few hours) was that it seemed like in no time at all, there were puddles everywhere, making it impossible to avoid getting my shoes and socks soaked. Also, I decided to eat lunch before going back to my hotel, but the problem was that most counter service restaurants in DCA had only outdoor seating that had canopies covering them, which are nice when it's sunny, but are no help at all for keeping the tables dry.

I realize that this is an old thread. But I feel that this could be a useful resource for future rain guests.

Shoes and socks. Bring at least one extra pair of shoes and socks.
Agreed. I went to the park about three years ago and it pounded rain all day. The good news: crowds were super light. So light, in fact, that the park had to close about four hours early. But I knew that rain was in the forecast so I brought dry shoes and socks in the car and it was such a pleasure to slip into them at the end of the long, wet day. They're a must-have in this situation.

Crowds will sometimes be lower, and sometimes not

I've only been to the park twice when it's rained hard. Both times crowds were light. But this is when it's rained all day and not just for an hour or two. Indoor rides should all run. Attractions like Big Thunder, Dumbo and Alice will likely not. But POTC, Buzz and Space Mountain should be going full force with little or no wait - walk-ons are likely.

FWIW, trying to game the DL crowds is nearly impossible. I've been on Super Bowl and Oscars days. Neither made any difference. What I always say to people is that the only thing that seems bankable is the weather. All-day rain means low crowds are nearly a certainty. But being that it's Southern California, I've only seen it rain four times at the park out of about 150-175 visits. Only twice did it last all day. Other times it got dark for a short time, the rain started and stopped in about ten minutes. On days like that, there's no noticeable crowd changes.

I haven't been to the park in a few weeks now. But I look forward to being back in about 11 days and will report then.

My advice: Do a rain dance so it will DEFINITELY rain. You will be able to get SO much done. Bring a rain jacket, some extra socks in case yours get too wet, and have a great time.

I experienced a very rainy day on my trip in December (on the 6th), and I would disagree with ironband74's opinion (although I will concede that I was in DCA, rather than DL, so maybe it makes a difference.) What made it miserable (and made me decide to go back to my hotel for a few hours) was that it seemed like in no time at all, there were puddles everywhere, making it impossible to avoid getting my shoes and socks soaked. Also, I decided to eat lunch before going back to my hotel, but the problem was that most counter service restaurants in DCA had only outdoor seating that had canopies covering them, which are nice when it's sunny, but are no help at all for keeping the tables dry.

It was VERY rainy that day. The day before, it rained – nowhere near as hard – and the parks were a ghost town. But I do understand how hard it rained on the 6th. Woof.

We had rain on our other trip, and we just weren't prepared. Once we got warmer clothes it was no big deal. The park closing 4 hours early would really, really suck though.

We had rain on our other trip, and we just weren't prepared. Once we got warmer clothes it was no big deal. The park closing 4 hours early would really, really suck though.
I believe that has only happened once, and it was because there was so much rain that Main Street was flooding.

There’s nothing like that coming up.

Viva Navidad typically does not run in the rain.

For those that have done the "extra sock" route; did you wait to change socks until after your shoes had dried? Or did you wear water-proof shoes so that only the tops of the socks got wet?
For us, it's waterproof shoes (boots, actually, since we've learned the hard way over the years that wet socks are NO fun in the cold, even when your shoes are dry) all the way and wool socks. We wait until the winter sales, then grab the waterproof and wool things at great prices. As mentioned above, the pavement at DLR is so uneven in so many places that the puddles form super quickly and turn into small ponds. For me, I'm often in water leaking into my shoes (especially at night when I can't gauge puddle depth) as I try to keep up with DH's longer strides. Waterproof, warm lined boots were a game changer, for sure! Now I don't care if there are puddles or if the bottom of the boats at IASW or POTC are filling with water. DH has an easier time, too, in his boots. We bring an extra pair of wool socks in the backpack, but with the boots, we've never had to use them.

For us, it's waterproof shoes (boots, actually, since we've learned the hard way over the years that wet socks are NO fun in the cold, even when your shoes are dry) all the way and wool socks. We wait until the winter sales, then grab the waterproof and wool things at great prices. As mentioned above, the pavement at DLR is so uneven in so many places that the puddles form super quickly and turn into small ponds. For me, I'm often in water leaking into my shoes (especially at night when I can't gauge puddle depth) as I try to keep up with DH's longer strides. Waterproof, warm lined boots were a game changer, for sure! Now I don't care if there are puddles or if the bottom of the boats at IASW or POTC are filling with water. DH has an easier time, too, in his boots. We bring an extra pair of wool socks in the backpack, but with the boots, we've never had to use them.

Just wondering if you can get cheap waterproof shoes/boots somewhere close to Disneyland in case it rains? Like the outlets of orange? There is no space in my luggage...

Just wondering if you can get cheap waterproof shoes/boots somewhere close to Disneyland in case it rains? Like the outlets of orange? There is no space in my luggage...

Look into Amazon. There are Amazon lockers along Katella or Harbor, I believe, where Prime deliveries can be shipped real fast if the forecast turns and it looks like rain a few days before.

In addition to Amazon.com, there is a Target on Harbor about a mile south of the parks. Try calling them first to see if they have what you need. There is a Walmart about 5 minutes away (north of the parks -- you can see it from the 5 freeway). They should have rain gear, too, but call first.
We use shoes/boots that look like regular shoes/boots, but are also waterproof. This way we don't end up lugging around multiple pairs of shoes and boots. Keen is a great brand (super comfortable, too). That way we can get good use out of the shoes year round. Keen happens to be one of our shoe brands of choice for DLR anyway because the shoes really work well for DH"s plantar fasciitis.

DL is much tougher in the rain than WDW...not as many covered spaces to go to and it’s cold when it rains, so that makes it more uncomfortable.
My family will usually bail if it’s really raining. As others have said, sometimes you can find a lightly drizzly day w/ an empty park. Other times I’ve been there when it keeps pouring and yet all the lines are still long. You can’t count on it clearing out.

Reviving the thread in the spirit of rain predictions this next week ....does Disneyland sell kid-sized ponchos? I'm going to order a family pack on Amazon, but I want to know my options in case we use them all up.

Reviving the thread in the spirit of rain predictions this next week ....does Disneyland sell kid-sized ponchos? I'm going to order a family pack on Amazon, but I want to know my options in case we use them all up.
I can’t remember if it was specifically a kids size poncho or if the adult poncho just fit him but here is my son wearing one when he was 2 years old.

FCD5F9B9-8B87-482D-8843-14097AFEE6EA.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter